They don't fire the coach because they blame the coach, at least not mid-season. (usually)
    It's just an easier way to get the players to "wake up" rather than exchange half the team.

Quote Originally Posted by Stommped View Post
    I don't really understand the point of firing the coach mid season. The team sucked to begin with then they traded their best player. To me you replace the coach mid season if you think there's still a shot at competing that year (Like Lavy in Philly). Not sure what you'd have to be smoking to think this Sabres roster can compete.
    Remember the Penguins a few years ago? Started brutally, fired Therrien and Bylsma became their coach. They won the cup that year.

SABRES WINNING THE CUP THIS YEAR!!!!

But seriously, as it's been said, you don't always fire a coach/GM mid-season because the team can still make the playoffs... you do it to change the environment of the team, and hope that maybe it lights a spark under the players' asses. Hopefully Nolan whips them into shape, because they are a pretty sad team to watch these days. Last time he was their coach (in the 90s I think?) they won the division.

I'm honestly a little surprised they named him Head Coach instead of just maybe making an assistant the interim HC for the rest of the year and then maybe hiring from the many big names that will be available by the end of the year (Laviolette probably wouldn't want to coach there, but Dineen is actually a good coach who showed what he could do (not much, but let's be honest, it was the Panthers) before injuries and cap issues took over.

Who else is probably going to be fired by the time the draft rolls around? Wouldn't be surprised if any of the following lost their jobs (even if they have reasonably successful years): Therrien, Bylsma, Muller, DeBoer, Capuono, Richards, Noel, Yeo (if things go poorly down the stretch as they typically do).

I'm not saying these guys will be fired, but if their teams are out of contention or not succeeding at the level of expectations, they easily could be.

10+ Year Old Account
    WOW they brought back Ted Nolan!?! That's awesome.

To me you replace the coach mid season if you think there's still a shot at competing that year (Like Lavy in Philly).
    Or Sutter coming in for LA, so yea, your perspective on it makes sense to me.

The problem is that they already fired the coach mid-season last year and had plenty time to see if the new people they had in place were right for the job and now we see that clearly that assessment period was bungled because now everybody is gone. I can't really put a good spin on it except they botched it last year and are sick of things being botched so might as well get Lafontaine some experience during a lost season and see if Nolan's style still holds up. They still might want to keep some of their own free agents and want to be making an effort to improve in order to sell them on staying.

Quote Originally Posted by VanillaO View Post
    Hopefully Nolan whips them into shape, because they are a pretty sad team to watch these days.
    How about we root for divisional rivals to remain as crap instead?

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drikkink View Post
    Remember the Penguins a few years ago? Started brutally, fired Therrien and Bylsma became their coach. They won the cup that year.
    Yeah, obviously THAT makes sense. The Penguins had a really good roster and were under-achieving. The Sabres traded away their best player, and were already the worst team in the league. It's not really apples to apples.

I'd buy the changing the atmosphere thing if they were sold on the current roster making up the core of their team over the next few years, but I would think they would be interested in a complete rebuild (don't see Moulson or Ehrhoff sticking around). So again, I just don't really see the point unless they REALLY wanted Nolan to be their guy and they were worred about another team grabbing him.
    Last edited by Stommped; 2013-11-13 at 09:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Greeney View Post
    How about we root for divisional rivals to remain as crap instead?
    I don't know about you, but I don't want to look at my schedule and be like 'oh a Sabres game? Nah, rather sit quietly doing nothing.'

For so many years the Sabres have had a great rivalry with the Leafs.. when rivalries become super one-sided because one team is in rebuild, to me, that's just less enjoyable. I imagine it's kind of like how teams felt seeing us in the schedule 3 years ago.

- - - Updated - - -

@Stommped

I don't even think he's been in the running for any coaching position lately... I think it's just the NHL is a wheel of recycled uselessness.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    That hit on Backstrom looked pretty rough, I don't think it was intended to even be a hit. Kadri needs to do a better job of driving the net without interfering with the goalie.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tradewind View Post
    What kind of asshole moves on game night?!

You missed a good one.
    Not sure if serious. Caught bits and pieces of the game as we were moving stuff into the place. Atrocious effort all game until 15 mins left in the 3rd. Looks like Berra had a damn good game though, good to hear that.

Yeah, obviously THAT makes sense. The Penguins had a really good roster and were under-achieving. The Sabres traded away their best player, and were already the worst team in the league. It's not really apples to apples.

I'd buy the changing the atmosphere thing if they were sold on the current roster making up the core of their team over the next few years, but I would think they would be interested in a complete rebuild (don't see Moulson or Ehrhoff sticking around). So again, I just don't really see the point unless they REALLY wanted Nolan to be their guy and they were worred about another team grabbing him.
    I had misread what you said. I thought you were saying that a team that hopes to compete shouldn't fire their coach (like Lavy in Philly). Side note: I'm still very against that firing of Lavy... not because he's a great coach. He's serviceable. However, the new guy, Berube is an oaf and Holmgren is the problem.

- - - Updated - - -

1-0 Flyers 3 to go in the 1st period. The forecheck is working really well now. They are playing Maple Leafs hockey right now though... few shots and give up a ton.

- - - Updated - - -

If I never have to deal with a nationally televised Penguins-Flyers game, it'll be too soon.

I'm pretty sure I hear slurping every time anyone talks.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Well, if Kadri doesn't get suspended for hitting Backstrom, it will be for that high hit, even though he went mainly body, his shoulder barely hit the head. He has been playing too reckless tonight, I think he is just trying to have a physical impact as he has been struggling offensively. Having him suspended does not help our lack of depth up the middle right now.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Wow Kadri didn't even try to get out of the way

Quote Originally Posted by Zeoni View Post
    Usually enjoy the way he plays, but hate those two hits.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    That's what we call finishing checks, something half the players in the league can't do because they are afraid of making the bad hit.

HUGE win for the Flyers. 2-1 @ Pittsburgh. Brayden Schenn had both, Simmonds, Downie and Voracek with assists.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    That's what we call finishing checks, something half the players in the league can't do because they are afraid of making the bad hit.
    Posted that when I saw the hit on Backstrom then I just saw the one on Granlund. Rough night lol. The one on Granlund wasn't even dirty either :S
    Last edited by Zeoni; 2013-11-14 at 04:05 AM.

Posted that when I saw the hit on Backstrom then I just saw the one on Granlund. Rough night lol. The one on Granlund wasn't even dirty either :S
    I didn't like it. Granlund shouldn't have been looking down, but Kadri saw he had his head down and had time to lower the impact.

Deleted
    What the actual f.. was Kadri doing? Disgusting plays tonight.. I hope he gets suspended separetly for each hit.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    He won't get suspended for the hit on Backstrom, he was driving the net to try and setup for a tap in since the puck was being moved behind the net. Also, if they suspend him for that, Toronto fans will want Shanny lynched because Brian Gionta was never suspended or even penalized for blatant goaltender interference, not to mention he threw his whole body weight into Reimer a couple of years ago that gave him a concussion. You can't punish one player for his forearm touching another guys head, especially when we are talking about a goalie who is alread in a lower position, that would have been a normal check on any other skater.

Yeah, "driving to the net". Home-blind much? He went in for a deliberate hit and extended the arm and pushed for contact. Goalies should be sacred, he should be suspended for both.