10+ Year Old Account
    The joy of inexperienced GMs is apparent. Let's not forget that Nonis was the idiot who thought Clarkson's contract was a good idea... Phaneuf is a decent D-man I will give him that and obviously one who would fit in as a top 4 guy in every team, but him getting paid superstar money is absurd. But then again Letang got 7,25 million so that will have a negative effect on future contract negosiations for above average D-men.
    "Some people believe football is a matter of life and death, I am very disappointed with that attitude. I can assure you it is much, much more important than that".
    Bill Shankly
    "You're playing worse and worse every day and right now you're playing like it's next month".
    Herb Brooks

Ya, but the rumor mill is saying he's going to be getting top 3 to top 5 D-man league wide kind of money... like probably 7M a season. For a guy who is less effective than a tree sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by VanillaO View Post
    Ya, but the rumor mill is saying he's going to be getting top 3 to top 5 D-man league wide kind of money... like probably 7M a season. For a guy who is less effective than a tree sometimes.
    I would say 6.5 for Phaneuf, but already know he will get 7.5 at least.
    I'd love to trade him in a package for someone like Weber, but that's never going to happen.

According to 1050, Rangers are trying to get Gardiner and/or Franson from us.

10+ Year Old Account
    I am so glad Lack was in net for the shootout

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    6 a year for 5 years is more then fair. Granted, he is lightyears better at his position then Letang is and he is getting 7 million to be a defensive liability.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Greeney View Post
    I would say 6.5 for Phaneuf, but already know he will get 7.5 at least.
    I'd love to trade him in a package for someone like Weber, but that's never going to happen.

According to 1050, Rangers are trying to get Gardiner and/or Franson from us.
    Why would we trade either of those guys though? Fraser is the most likely to be traded right now, since Carlyle is just starting to get Franson and Gardiner playing decently.

Well the reasons for wanting to trade Franson or Gardiner aren't due to their performance (Gardiner maybe a tiny bit), but more due to how they are both RFAs at season's end.

Franson in many ways had to cave and 'do the team a favour' by signing a 1-year 2M contract in September. He will be looking for substantially more (probably in the 4-5M per season range, and will probably get it or be traded before the FA period begins. He's not the best defenseman, but he's a reasonably reliable 2-4 guy who is capable of putting up 45-50 points in a season (and will more likely average somewhere around 35)

Gardiner is where things get tricky - we already know he and his agent weren't happy with how things were handled regarding his development over the last couple years. He's got great eyes for the ice, and good speed... and you can bet that the team is going to be looking for a bridge type deal to keep his RFA status in the future. So his agent will most likely push for something in the 4M/year range as well.

What the Leafs need to ask themselves is the following: do these players REALLY fit into their future plans, or could they possibly trade them now for future and current benefits? It's widely believed that Gardiner could fetch a 3-4 defenseman or a top-6 center right now, or even a 3-4 defenseman and a 2nd or 3rd round pick. The Leafs brass is seriously considering what's the better value for their team: a player who appears (so far, jury is still out IMO) to have peaked early and doesn't know how to play hard defense, or a defensive defenceman who can play in more of a shutdown role - something the team desperately appears to need.

I don't think either player will be moved, but I too have heard the rumors of a Gardiner/Del Zotto swap. Del Zotto is basically being shopped to anyone with ears, so it's not like it's definitely goign to happen with Toronto.

As for the Leafs' needs, I don't think another 'top-6 centerman' will help. If they want to trade for a real #1 center, there are really no choices - no team is going to give up a guy like that for anything short of a package of prospects and/or young players, which is something Nonis would absolutely not do unless it was Crosby or some shit.

Quote Originally Posted by VanillaO View Post
    Well the reasons for wanting to trade Franson or Gardiner aren't due to their performance (Gardiner maybe a tiny bit), but more due to how they are both RFAs at season's end.

Franson in many ways had to cave and 'do the team a favour' by signing a 1-year 2M contract in September. He will be looking for substantially more (probably in the 4-5M per season range, and will probably get it or be traded before the FA period begins. He's not the best defenseman, but he's a reasonably reliable 2-4 guy who is capable of putting up 45-50 points in a season (and will more likely average somewhere around 35)

Gardiner is where things get tricky - we already know he and his agent weren't happy with how things were handled regarding his development over the last couple years. He's got great eyes for the ice, and good speed... and you can bet that the team is going to be looking for a bridge type deal to keep his RFA status in the future. So his agent will most likely push for something in the 4M/year range as well.

What the Leafs need to ask themselves is the following: do these players REALLY fit into their future plans, or could they possibly trade them now for future and current benefits? It's widely believed that Gardiner could fetch a 3-4 defenseman or a top-6 center right now, or even a 3-4 defenseman and a 2nd or 3rd round pick. The Leafs brass is seriously considering what's the better value for their team: a player who appears (so far, jury is still out IMO) to have peaked early and doesn't know how to play hard defense, or a defensive defenceman who can play in more of a shutdown role - something the team desperately appears to need.

I don't think either player will be moved, but I too have heard the rumors of a Gardiner/Del Zotto swap. Del Zotto is basically being shopped to anyone with ears, so it's not like it's definitely goign to happen with Toronto.

As for the Leafs' needs, I don't think another 'top-6 centerman' will help. If they want to trade for a real #1 center, there are really no choices - no team is going to give up a guy like that for anything short of a package of prospects and/or young players, which is something Nonis would absolutely not do unless it was Crosby or some shit.

I'm surprised the Oilers haven't tried to trade for Gardiner or Del Zotto. Their defence is just awful. Also they put Hemsky on the 4th line for tonight and promoted Gadzic. That team just makes me sad inside. Also they traded Linus Omark to Buffalo for a 6th rounder, he was leading their AHL team in points too I believe. At this point I think Lowe and MacT are just trolling their fans.

I would rather give Franson and Gardiner good contracts next time and try to trade Phaneuf if he's really expecting 7+.

It would be ice if Kadri, Kessel, and JVR could occasionally try to take shots and go for rebounds and not always play for the highlight reel goals.

Every time Reimer is given a chance he seems to puke it up with awful goals against... Last game he was stellar until that wraparound of ugliness... Tonight an equally bad wraparound and a pretty gross fivehole goal.

Refs aren't being very fair to the Wings from what I've seen so far.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    What goalie doesn't have problems with the 5 hole with the new pads?

Also, CBC stream fail, it's almost 5 minutes behind and the radio broadcast switched to fucking football for some retarded reason. I want to skullfuck someone at CBC for their shitty stream tonight and someone at TSN for that massive herp derp, sorry but you don't override hockey for football, not in this country.

Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    What goalie doesn't have problems with the 5 hole with the new pads?
    Martin Jones?

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Martin Jones?
    Beginners luck, obviously

Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    Beginners luck, obviously
    Goalie depth on Anaheim and LA is scary though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Goalie depth on Anaheim and LA is scary though.
    I cannot wait for Gibson to come up for ANA

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Canada is gettin dicked in pre tournament game, glad to see nothing's changed they still just bring selfish kids who feel they're entitled to be at the tournament.

15+ Year Old Account
    I know you guys will appreciate this...

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=6...d=nhl:topheads

I seriously want to skull fuck the NHL right now. Seriously, you idiots couldn't get some Canadian content since you have a Canadian team participating? I hear the lead singer of that band known as The Tragically Hip is a HUGE hockey fan (Bruins fan mind you) and would be totally relevant to the hockey festivities. What does a redneck country band have to do with hockey? Absolute jack all that's what! Must be trying to appeal to all those fools in southern America where hockey is flopping hardcore.

People watch the intermission shows? That's usually "make food and take a shit" break time.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.