Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    Surgery, he said he really wanted to be there.
    I know, it sucks to have missed one of the franchises best players today.

Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    I know, it sucks to have missed one of the franchises best players today.
    I know
    But hey, on the plus-side, the two best defensemen coming out of Sweden (so far) is playing. Lidström vs Salming.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think we will see the likes of those two any time soon. They are generation defining types of players.

- - - Updated - - -

Man, that is a helluva lot of people. Love those throw back jersey's though, both look fantastic. If there is one event in my lifetime that I wanted to attend, it was this one, too bad I couldn't afford it. But the representation of both Detroit and Toronto fans is pretty impressive.

Woke up at 8am where I'm at to catch this after partying on the beach until 3 =x. I feel just awful on my insides and still pretty drunk. You know you're Canadian when you get up from 4 hours of sleep on vacation in paradise... to watch hockey.

Go hockey!

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Leafs have traded Liles and a low rated prospect to Carolina for Tim Gleason.

- - - Updated - - -

Once again CBC's stream has a seizure with less then 5 minutes to go in regulation.

10+ Year Old Account
    Leafs have traded Liles and a low rated prospect to Carolina for Tim Gleason.

- - - Updated - - -

Once again CBC's stream has a seizure with less then 5 minutes to go in regulation.
    I refreshed it and it fixed itself

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Stream switched to the American one for me

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Epuration View Post
    I refreshed it and it fixed itself
    I got a few ads and then I just left the page for a minute, came back and there was 2 minutes left in the period and it was a different stream. Went back to the CBC stream as the period was ending.

Watched the whole thing on NBC (in Hawaii atm) and it was decent. Over-excited announcer for every puck that was even remotely close to the net which was amusing but still enjoyable. Great game to watch. I will never get tired of seeing Datsyuk's wizardry with the puck.

10+ Year Old Account
    Michigan Stadium looked great for a little "pond" hockey. I really enjoyed the game. Can't wait for the Yankee Stadium games, my tickets are sitting on my counter like a damn shrine lol

10+ Year Old Account
    I got a few ads and then I just left the page for a minute, came back and there was 2 minutes left in the period and it was a different stream. Went back to the CBC stream as the period was ending.
    no ad block?

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Great game. Team USA rosters announced after the game, Quick, Howard and Miller are the goalie selections. Kessel and JVR were both selected to the team as well. I'd be very nervous if I was Hockey Canada with that tandem backing what looks like a pretty damn good American team. Assuming Quick comes back and can get into form before the Olympics, that threesome will be very difficult to beat. I think we realistically only have two goalies who can compete and that is Price and Smith.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Epuration View Post
    no ad block?
    AdBlock doesn't work on CBC's website from what I can tell. It might just be a matter of when they had the down time before switching streams that the ads popped up because generally I just see the commercials.

Don't understand some of the US team's D choices... and why would they leave Bobby Ryan off that team and take someone like Dustin Brown...? 3x as many points, and has been playing responsible 2-way game all season... he's a +10 on a team of mostly minus players. I understand wanting to take guys with some experience, but Bobby Ryan is probably the 3rd best American forward in the NHL in terms of pure talent, and he plays a smart game. Watch out Atlantic Division - dude's going to be playing angry the next few years.

Interested to see Canada's final roster. I didn't miss it, did I?

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    The only think I'll say about Ryan is, you don't necessarily want pick just the best 12 scorers for your forwards. You need checkers and PKers to play on 3rd and 4th lines, and clearly they must have thought he couldn't fit into that role and just thought the wingers on the 1st and 2nd lines were better, Parise, Kane, JVR, and Kessel and someone like Brown like you mentioned is much more physical, 2 way player which will fit the 3rd/4th lines.

I'm kind of upset Erik Johnson wasn't selected, I liked what I saw of him this year.
    Last edited by Stommped; 2014-01-02 at 07:17 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, but Ryan is physical enough to play on a 3rd line anyway and his offense vastly outweighs anything Brown can bring to the table. The fact that Wheeler also gets the nod over Ryan is a fucking joke. He has 5 points less in the same amount of games, he is a minus 2 where Ryan is a +10. So Ryan has him covered defensively.

Yandle being snubbed is yet another joke conjured up by a GM who can't even build a Stanley Cup contender. He elects to use Faulk, a guy who has no experience on the big ice, and also has no experience playing big games. He also uses Brooks Orpik, a guy who while decent defensively, is more often than not caught off his position trying to line up players with big hits. He is also god awful puck handling wise. Yandle who has offensive upside, is more than capable of carrying himself defensively and his skating ability is more than enough to compensate any downside to his game. Puck moving ability is going to key on a large ice surface, so why not use Yandle who is excellent at moving the puck.
    "Some people believe football is a matter of life and death, I am very disappointed with that attitude. I can assure you it is much, much more important than that".
    Bill Shankly
    "You're playing worse and worse every day and right now you're playing like it's next month".
    Herb Brooks

Quote Originally Posted by Elgefar View Post
    Yeah, but Ryan is physical enough to play on a 3rd line anyway and his offense vastly outweighs anything Brown can bring to the table. The fact that Wheeler also gets the nod over Ryan is a fucking joke. He has 5 points less in the same amount of games, he is a minus 2 where Ryan is a +10. So Ryan has him covered defensively.

Yandle being snubbed is yet another joke conjured up by a GM who can't even build a Stanley Cup contender. He elects to use Faulk, a guy who has no experience on the big ice, and also has no experience playing big games. He also uses Brooks Orpik, a guy who while decent defensively, is more often than not caught off his position trying to line up players with big hits. He is also god awful puck handling wise. Yandle who has offensive upside, is more than capable of carrying himself defensively and his skating ability is more than enough to compensate any downside to his game. Puck moving ability is going to key on a large ice surface, so why not use Yandle who is excellent at moving the puck.
    With Bylsma coaching, I'm hardly surprised about Letang or Orpik. I think Brown is a decent player to bring, he's a good leader. However, leaving out Yandle, Johnson, and Bobby Ryan though (and like you said taking Wheeler over Ryan???) Holy stupid.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Wheeler isn't going to play anyway barring an injury

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Greeney View Post
    With Bylsma coaching, I'm hardly surprised about Letang or Orpik. I think Brown is a decent player to bring, he's a good leader. However, leaving out Yandle, Johnson, and Bobby Ryan though (and like you said taking Wheeler over Ryan???) Holy stupid.
    I feel sorry for the American team if they have Letang on the back end, odds are he will play a crap ton of minutes and suck ass defensively like he usually does. People who think he is good because have a high plus/minus overlook the fact that point production makes up for failures defensively.

Is there some other Letang you guys are talking about? Because the Letang I know of is pretty Canadian... he won 2 golds with Canada in the WJC.

Quote Originally Posted by VanillaO View Post
    Is there some other Letang you guys are talking about? Because the Letang I know of is pretty Canadian... he won 2 golds with Canada in the WJC.
    Hmm.. I had no idea where he was from and not sure why I thought I saw him mentioned. Probably meant Martin as I was looking at Penguins defensemen in the olympics.

Also find it interesting that half the US Olympic team is either from Minnesota or New York.