10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly, I'm seeing full shoulder contact.

---------- Post added 2012-03-01 at 11:14 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by bluesfan18 View Post
    If Edmonton can land a solid goalie, they can be a real tough team. They have plenty of speed and talent, just lack defensively. Dubnyk was pulled midway through 2nd after giving up 3 goals. Nugent-Hopkins though, boy, he has some talent.
    They need a defense, besides Whitney they have nothing. Schultz should help the top pairing, but giving up a solid d-man for a solid d-man, was kind of pointless.

15+ Year Old Account
    To be honest....it seriously still does not look like he fully hits him. Still looks like a dive to me. I was on the opposite side of the arena when the play happened though.

So, consider me fucking blind I guess.

Edit: Okay, so after watching it like 20 times in stop-play fashion I see at one point where he may have made contact with him but why does Gustavson fall down backwards...at that momentum we would have spun to his left not straight backward. Physics.
    Last edited by Knails; 2012-03-01 at 12:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    Still better then last night's disaster. Signs of coming around I guess, but they pretty much need to go on an 18 game winning streak to make the playoffs now.

Enough time to tie the game though.
    13/18 to make the playoffs IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by jayeffkay
    Don't know if anyone was watching but that Penguins/Stars game was an awesome game to watch. Fast paced, physical, back and forth hockey with great plays offensively and defensively by both teams.
    Yeah, I saw the highlights and was very impressed.

Quote Originally Posted by knails
    Just got home from the Hawks/Leafs game, god that was such a fun game to be at, lot of Leafs fans. Had some bad refereeing almost the entire game on both sides, but I thought Gustavson's dive for the goalie interference penalty was priceless, everybody was Boo'ing the shit out of that call. Where's the video - someone has to have it!
    Glad you got to go to a game where your team won. Wish it wasn't Toronto, but always a nice feeling. As for bad reffing, at the ACC we can't even complain about yesterdays reffing compared to usual. Yesterday's reffing was amazing compared to our usual expectations.

The Gustavsson hit was a head shot though, even if you want to argue it was a dive your player made no attempt to avoid contact. Not used to seeing teams punished for interfering with our goalie though, but I guess since it wasn't Ottawa...

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzzie View Post
    I love my Leafs, but this is getting silly. New ownership.. time for some changes. Burke down.

When you have one of the best first lines in the league you shouldn't be struggling to stay above 10th in the conference.. It's just sad.
    No no no no no no no no no no NO!
    Burke can say he wants to start a fresh rebuild right now and I would support him. He turned Vancouver from a steaming pile of shit into a hockey team that could win the Stanley Cup with a goaltender who didn't get cold in the playoffs. He turned Anaheim from a team that never won the playoffs into a team that won a Stanley Cup and has the star players to contend. He will do likewise for Toronto. Short term first-round playoff success is not worth long term failure.

Also...
    In before: Habs fan who only posts here when Toronto loses to Montreal.
    Last edited by Greeney; 2012-03-01 at 02:09 PM.

But the problem in Toronto is that he turned us from an organization with shit prospects and a shit team into an organization with prospects with some potential.. and a shit team.

You have to understand that this is a city that hasn't had ANY important sports success since 1993. People are getting (rightfully) impatient with the never-ending rebuilds of our sports teams.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by VanillaO View Post
    But the problem in Toronto is that he turned us from an organization with shit prospects and a shit team into an organization with prospects with some potential.. and a shit team.

You have to understand that this is a city that hasn't had ANY important sports success since 1993. People are getting (rightfully) impatient with the never-ending rebuilds of our sports teams.
    To be fair, the Jays are looking pretty good this year.

Quote Originally Posted by VanillaO View Post

If that's in response to me:
    I'm well aware, being from Toronto and supporting the Leafs since the early 1990's. People can get as impatient as they want, I rather build a team that can win the Stanley Cup than a team that can't get past the semifinals. If that takes 3 more years of listening to obnoxious Canucks or Habs fans I'll deal with it. Once Burke gets us a decent team, we'll be fine for a long time to come. If Burke is fired, it will be the worst thing for this city and he'll get another job within days. It's stupid to want to fire Burke when you know the prospects will be turning this team completely around in the near-future. Impatience is a cancer.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Greeney View Post
    If that's in response to me:
    I'm well aware, being from Toronto and supporting the Leafs since the early 1990's. People can get as impatient as they want, I rather build a team that can win the Stanley Cup than a team that can't get past the semifinals. If that takes 3 more years of listening to obnoxious Canucks or Habs fans I'll deal with it. Once Burke gets us a decent team, we'll be fine for a long time to come. If Burke is fired, it will be the worst thing for this city and he'll get another job within days. It's stupid to want to fire Burke when you know the prospects will be turning this team completely around in the near-future. Impatience is a cancer.
    Myself being a Leaf fan since I was old enough to know what hockey is, I have always cheered for this team. I can tell you that all of Leafnation is extremely frustrated at this point and with the CBA ending this year (I believe), next season may be a short one if there is a strike/lockout, hence why a playoff run this year would be nice. I trust Burke, he has succeeded in the past and will succeed again. We have a great team, bottomline is, Wilson needs to go. I am never one to go pointing fingers but Wilson can't coach a young team. Paul Maurice couldn't coach the Leafs because the team was too old and he excels at coaching a young team. Not saying bring back Maurice but a fresh leader will help out the team. Disagree or agree. Doesn't matter. I don't get paid to analyze hockey. Just my opinions.

Holy crap that was just thoughts crunched together... I need sleep >_>
    Host of the 2 Year Livestream Challenge http://www.twitch.tv/inexpensivegamer Gaming like the cheap asshat I am

If Wilson is going it won't be before the end of season. Don't even hold your breath. As you've seen in many other cities this year, bringing a new coach in doesn't always change things. Wilson is just an easy scape goat, but I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't even want to be here right now himself. The only reason I want him out is because he looks completely demotivated himself, and I rather not have a demotivated coach responsible for motivating players. There's still a lot that has to be changed; players need to stop having cold streaks, they need more players than Gunnarsson to block pucks, we need to stop paying players great salaries for having one decent season, relying on players who are too inconsistent, defensive accountability for our forwards, handling the puck, winning the battles on the boards, crowding the net or blocking goalie sight... It won't be made better all at once just by switching a coach. We'll also have a losing streak at some point next year no matter who coaches.

In other news: How much do you think Burke offers Parise at free agency?

15+ Year Old Account
    $7.25 for 8. If he breaks $7.5 million I wouldn't be surprised. 8 years puts him at 35-36. Maybe someone goes the 10 year route with the last couple years being throwaway cap circumventing years.

Then again, there should be a new CBA in place before Parise signs this off season. I would be beyond surprised if any owner allows a deal like that to go through before they have the new CBA in place. That new CBA will likely eliminate or at least cut down on the cap circumvention deals where guys have 2-3 years at the end of their deal with salaries around $1 million when they are 42 knowing damn well they will be retired by then. I wouldn't be surprised if they have some sort of modified cap hit system that is meant to make the cap hit more in line with the actual salary paid each season. A guy like Brad Richards is making $12 million but his cap hit is only $6.667 million thanks to the three $1 million years on the end. Have to imagine that there will be some push to kill off that sort of nonsense.

10+ Year Old Account
    Toews out for Ottawa, Detroit, and St.Louis...

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Garbles View Post
    Toews out for Ottawa, Detroit, and St.Louis...
    I'm still saying he's gonna be out for the full season. This is not looking good.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Garbles View Post
    Well if Crawford stayed in, Leafs woulda won it no doubt.
    If Crawford had stayed in, it would have been about 8-4 by the end of the 2nd period.

10+ Year Old Account
    If Wilson is going it won't be before the end of season. Don't even hold your breath. As you've seen in many other cities this year, bringing a new coach in doesn't always change things. Wilson is just an easy scape goat, but I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't even want to be here right now himself. The only reason I want him out is because he looks completely demotivated himself, and I rather not have a demotivated coach responsible for motivating players. There's still a lot that has to be changed; players need to stop having cold streaks, they need more players than Gunnarsson to block pucks, we need to stop paying players great salaries for having one decent season, relying on players who are too inconsistent, defensive accountability for our forwards, handling the puck, winning the battles on the boards, crowding the net or blocking goalie sight... It won't be made better all at once just by switching a coach. We'll also have a losing streak at some point next year no matter who coaches.

Honestly, on defensive play, Gardiner and Gunnarsson have been the best. Kulemin, Grabovski, Connolly, heck most of the offensive needs to play smarter. Like you said, they don't crowd/screen the opposing netminder very often. And to the coaching change mid season comment... St. Louis Blues is all I have to say. Ken Hitchcock has done an unbelievable job there. I am just trying to think who would replace Wilson. Needs to be someone who is positive, has worked with Burke before, and can handle the Toronto media with ease. I would say Randy Carlyle but he is an ass just like Wilson. I wonder if Marc Crawford would leave his position at TSN to coach the Leafs. Also wondering how Dallas Eakins would fair.
    Host of the 2 Year Livestream Challenge http://www.twitch.tv/inexpensivegamer Gaming like the cheap asshat I am

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account

Parise goes UFA depending on how the Devils do in the playoffs, which depending on who they play, they could shit the bed in the first round, if they end up in the 4 or 5 slot then it's a toss up as to who wins the round. If Parise walks, Burke offers 7 million and lets Grabs walk, slide Bozak down the depth chart to center the 2nd line and inserts Parise in the first line on the left wing while Lupul moves to center. Komisarek will either be traded at the draft or put on waivers, clearing his 3.5 million dollar cap hit. I could see Connolly being disposed of as well after July 1st. Neither player has a place on the roster and have too high of cap hits to be worth keeping as well. Doing so effectively removes about 7 million from the salary cap, allowing Burke to sign Parise without having to use any of the current 16 million in cap space he has available.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Irony View Post
    To be fair, the Jays are looking pretty good this year.

we been rebuilding for 19 years with the Jays... though maybe with consistent closer and expanded playoffs we might just make it.

as for the leafs, just tighten up and play physical and bring Colborne, Zigomanis and that Holzer kid up.

Odd seeing a MTL game on CBC on thursday.
    Last edited by Masqerader; 2012-03-02 at 12:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kabookiejoez View Post
    we been rebuilding for 19 years with the Jays... though maybe with consistent closer and expanded playoffs we might just make it.

as for the leafs, just tighten up and play physical and bring Colborne, Zigomanis and that Holzer kid up.

You guys did a young talented, loud mouth, 'uncoachable' player from us with Rasmus...

I am a sad panda, No hockey on tonight for me. Plus I had to miss both the Toronto-Chicago and St. Louis-Edmonton games last night. Really wish I got more than NBCS and FOXSD for my hockey channels. Is there any way we can have a zero point game tonight for the Van-Blues game tonight??

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bluesfan18 View Post
    You guys did a young talented, loud mouth, 'uncoachable' player from us with Rasmus...

i don't find him that talented, and La russa has always been a hard ass, lol.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kabookiejoez View Post

Well too be fair the Jays are fucked nowadays. They simply don't/can't spend the money that Boston and New York can spend every single year to essentially lock at least one of them into a playoff spot. Since 1998, the Yankees or Red Sox didn't win that division twice. The other one of those two teams has won the wild card 11 times in 17 years.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    Well too be fair the Jays are fucked nowadays. They simply don't/can't spend the money that Boston and New York can spend every single year to essentially lock at least one of them into a playoff spot. Since 1998, the Yankees or Red Sox didn't win that division twice. The other one of those two teams has won the wild card 11 times in 17 years.

they could spend it.. but rogers was too tied up with buying the leafs with bell