10+ Year Old Account
    im calling it that the habs or tampa win it all.....

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gamz247 View Post
    The Canucks are "hot"? They just barely eked out an OT win after getting crushed 2 of the previous 3 games. Angry, though? Maybe at themselves. Hungry? Their fans better damn well hope so.

Damn right it's Washington.
    I'll believe it is the Canucks, Sharks, or Washington when they finally prove they have what it takes not to choke it away. Of those three, I am far more confident in Washington though as their change in play style has paid huge dividends late in the season and so far in the playoffs even though they played the Rangers. I would absolutely not want to play the Lightning though if I was the Caps. I think they will roll the Pens, especially without Crosby, but if the Lightning offense keeps clicking they are going to be scary.

As for the Canucks, all the analysts are totally buying in to their momentum for some reason. I don't get it. They didn't look impressive in Game 6 except for one line (the Kesler, Burrows line). Same for game 7. The Sedins have looked miserable since game 3 and are still a defensive liability. I don't see how the are rolling into the second round after dropping three in a row, nearly choking away game 7, and squeaking it out in overtime on the back of the continued fantastic play of Burrows. I think they should beat the Preds only because they are the better team and the Preds are in new water. If their stars continue to be ineffective they could fine themselves in a world of hurt against a Nashville team that is exceeding expectations right now.

The Canucks are "hot"? They just barely eked out an OT win after getting crushed 2 of the previous 3 games. Angry, though? Maybe at themselves. Hungry? Their fans better damn well hope so.
    They played well the first 3 games, choked the next 2 (horribly), and outplayed chicago significantly the last 2. If not for Crawford it would have been over in 6.

You don't always win the games you play the best, which is the lesson the cancucks have hopefully learned. A hot goalie, or suffocating defense and you can easily lose to a lesser team. That's why consistent effort is key to winning the stanley cup. Its something that Detroit epitomizes, I haven't seen detroit mail-in a performance in over a decade.

However, as per my detroit = old comment, its mainly a fact that zetterberg is out and their goaltending is suspect. lidstrom is 40/41? They looked tired against the penguins a few years ago, and performed worse last year. I'm not expecting them to go deep this year, but they might surprise. i just wouldn't bet on it.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Garbles View Post
    im calling it that the habs or tampa win it all.....
    Habs. Lol. We all know the NHL isn't going to let a Canadian team win the cup. They already let one Canadian team knock out an original six team and a major US market. Think they are going to let it happen again?

I think Tampa is a year out. Add a couple more pieces into the mix and they are going to be incredibly scary. Seriously, how great and still completely underrated is Marty St Louis? In this thread we have talked time and time again about who is the best player in the league while always talking about Crosby, Ovechkin, and Datsyuk. St Louis deserves to be in that category. I don't think any of those guys work nearly as hard as Marty does night in and night out. He doesn't have the size and power of Crosby and Ovie. He does have the silky smooth skating and handling of Datsyuk. All he has is pure heart and will.

---------- Post added 2011-04-27 at 12:58 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by probert View Post
    However, as per my detroit = old comment, its mainly a fact that zetterberg is out and their goaltending is suspect. lidstrom is 40/41? They looked tired against the penguins a few years ago, and performed worse last year. I'm not expecting them to go deep this year, but they might surprise. i just wouldn't bet on it.
    Have you watched them over the last month since the have actually gotten healthy? Well, that isn't fair really since they weren't healthy in the playoffs yet. They have looked ridiculously phenomenal. Last year was a real struggle in the playoffs due to injury. Everyone had been hurt throughout the year and the other players were freaking exhausted from carrying the load. Hell, the Wings had to will themselves into the playoffs for the first time in a decade and a half, and they still barely made it and only because of Howard's ridiculously incredible rookie season. This year is similar in that they have had to deal with injuries, but it has always felt like there was another guy there to step in for the team. The 4th line containing Helm, Draper, Eaves, Miller or Abdelkader has been phenomenal all year. Filp's line has been great. They have stupid ridiculous depth with Kindl, Mursak, Janik, Tatar, and McDonald who have all been able to step in and fill holes on the team created by injury. Last year those injury holes always felt like we were playing with a short bench. This season has been a world of difference. Datsyuk's out, call up Mursak and shuffle lines. Team succeeds. Kronwall's hurt? Call up Kindl, continue to succeed.

As for being tired in the Cup, there are a couple reasons for that and you can fined them outlined (repeatedly as in about 50 times) in this thread from Marcellos

10+ Year Old Account
    They dominated the whole game they only thing that kept hawks alive was Crawford.

---------- Post added 2011-04-27 at 05:18 PM ----------

Kesler for the Selke!

15+ Year Old Account
    This side of an imaginary line in the sand
    Habs. Lol. We all know the NHL isn't going to let a Canadian team win the cup.
    Vancouver is a safe team to win the cup honestly. Montreal always is a safe bet for the league simply because of the fanbase of the team well outside of Quebec, and Canada.

Teams like Dedmonton and Ottawa are another story.
    red panda red panda red panda!

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Epuration View Post
    They dominated the whole game they only thing that kept hawks alive was Crawford.

---------- Post added 2011-04-27 at 05:18 PM ----------

Kesler for the Selke!
    DATSYUK for the 4 PEAT!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by marcelos11 View Post
    DATSYUK for the 4 PEAT!
    NEAVAR!!!!
    :P well I would be happy if Kesler gets it but I think ur guy will...

15+ Year Old Account
    NEAVAR!!!!
    :P well I would be happy if Kesler gets it but I think ur guy will...
    Honestly, given that Datsyuk missed time its Kesler's to lose. and you have no idea how much it pains me to say that. Dats will have to settle for the Conn Smythe

---------- Post added 2011-04-27 at 06:06 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post

As for being tired in the Cup, there are a couple reasons for that and you can fined them outlined (repeatedly as in about 50 times) in this thread from Marcellos
    i can feel the love (hate) >.<

10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly, given that Datsyuk missed time its Kesler's to lose. and you have no idea how much it pains me to say that. Dats will have to settle for the Conn Smythe

---------- Post added 2011-04-27 at 06:06 PM ----------

i can feel the love (hate) >.<
    good goood your pain feeds me..mmmmmm tastes like chicken

10+ Year Old Account
    After watching their domination of Buffalo last night, I'm going to be a homer and stick with the FLYERS. Mike Richards isn't on his game yet and Pronger's just getting warmed up. Briere, JVR and Giroux are on fire. I only hope goaltending holds together.

Kate Smith ftw.

YG

10+ Year Old Account
    anyone know what time the habs game starts... im in school still...
    for pacific time

15+ Year Old Account
    This side of an imaginary line in the sand
    anyone know what time the habs game starts... im in school still...
    for pacific time
    19h00 Eastern, 16h00 Pacific.
    red panda red panda red panda!

You say they were dominant like that means something. A team can do all the right things at all the right times and still lose the game. It's just good for you that the person who played better than Crawford was on your team.

10+ Year Old Account
    You say they were dominant like that means something. A team can do all the right things at all the right times and still lose the game. It's just good for you that the person who played better than Crawford was on your team.
    as we saw in game 6,it should have ended there but he gave them 2 freebie goals...

Visnovsky didnt play with the likes of Kindl, Ericcson and Salei, all who frequently turn the puck over IN THERE OWN ZONE. that affects your +/-, which by the way. is a terrible stat. Show me Visnovsky shutting down a 2 on 1 the way Lidstrom does. oh. and the 40 year old wonder has 20 penalty minutes. in 82 games.
    What a complete and total irrelevant point..... so Lidstrom should win an award based on bad teammates? Pretty sure they don't play in the NHL for being bads....

Anyways Visnovsky definitely deserves it this year

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Failhance View Post
    What a complete and total irrelevant point..... so Lidstrom should win an award based on bad teammates? Pretty sure they don't play in the NHL for being bads....

good players can make mistakes too you know...

15+ Year Old Account

Visnovsky has less take aways, and more giveaways than the 40 year old wonder. and he took more penalty minutes. damn, he must be a hell of adefender.

---------- Post added 2011-04-27 at 08:19 PM ----------

Visnovsky also averages 26 seconds a game on the penalty kill. tell me, if your team doesn't trust you to kill penalties, how good can your defense really be?

---------- Post added 2011-04-27 at 08:19 PM ----------

i mean, Visnovsky is obviously talented offensively, but he couldn't even keep his team in the playoffs...

Anyone know of any good websites to watch the games from? Doesn't look as if its playing any of the games tonight on the site I typically go too.

15+ Year Old Account

Not according to the PHWA that didn't give him enough votes to even be a candidate lol. Personally, I think he should have gotten the nomination ahead, but when the final tally comes out I expect we will see Lubo's name in 4th.

On the Selke, how the fuck is Datsyuk a nominee this year? I'm all for including him based on his absolute ownership of the trophy, but he played in what 56 games this season? Can't believe he got a nom playing that few games. That isn't to say he doesn't deserve the Selke based on those games because he absolutely does. But I think Kesler deserves it even more. Since no one here considers Toews a legitimate threat to win it:
    Ryan Kesler:
    Games 82
    Takeaways 65 Tk/g: .79
    Blocked Shots: 80
    +24
    QualCom: .028
    QualTeam: -.042

Pavel Datsyuk
    Games 56
    Takeaways 71 (more than Kesler in 26 fewer games)
    TK/G 1.27 second in NHL to Joe Thornton (I don't trust the San Jose scorekeeper)
    Blocked Shots 20
    +11
    QualCom: .076
    Qualteam: -.085

Okay, for the Toews fans:
    Games 80
    TK 93
    TK/G 1.16
    BS 28
    FO 57%
    QC .079
    QT -.105

Looking at this info made me less positive about Kesler. The only thing he has going for him frankly is reputation and blocked shots. The Quality of Competition that Toews and Datstyuk face absolutely obliterates his. That makes the blocked shots a lot less valuable on my mind, at least to an extent. Kesler's quality of teammates on the ice with him is also far, far higher than that of Datsyuk and especially Toews (seriously, what the fuck a -1.05?). Looking at it all laid out really increase Toews candidacy in my mind. Still think it is Kesler because sabremetrics doesn't quite hold the water in hockey yet that it has received in baseball. Hell, sabremetrics won the Cy Young for a guy with a sub .500 record last season because he plays for a garbage team.

Qualcom and QualTeam information taken from the ridiculous spreadsheets at Behind the Net. http://www.behindthenet.ca/