15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Asera View Post
    This is how haggling works, buyer lowballs, seller highballs, back and forth, agreement is made.

Note, this does not apply to unions who highball and strike if you propose anything else.
    Haggling usually doesn't work like this though. You don't wait months to propose a deal and then propose one that is insulting low in value and one year shorter than it should be. That is bad faith negotiating.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Irony View Post
    Can someone just offer sheet him? Apparently Montreal doesn't want him if they're offering him that garbage contract.

P.S is it a 5.5M cap hit? Or 2.75M?

Because 5.5M is too high and 2.75 is too low.
    Depends. I think had the Flyers got Weber, the whole offer sheet thing would be blown wide open and there would be players seeing offer sheets left and right. I'd say I think whether or not someone is going to offer sheet Subban depends on whether he forces Montreal to up the ante or not. If he rejects the offer and it is reported that he wants more, it could become a bidding war. I honestly don't think at this stage in his career, he is worth more then 3.5 million a year and he hasn't earned a long term deal. Montreal should be worried that he could walk out the door in 2 years and be back at square one with a top 4 D man, because honestly they don't have any right now and their prospects are very average at best, not minute logging players.

Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    Depends. I think had the Flyers got Weber, the whole offer sheet thing would be blown wide open and there would be players seeing offer sheets left and right. I'd say I think whether or not someone is going to offer sheet Subban depends on whether he forces Montreal to up the ante or not. If he rejects the offer and it is reported that he wants more, it could become a bidding war. I honestly don't think at this stage in his career, he is worth more then 3.5 million a year and he hasn't earned a long term deal. Montreal should be worried that he could walk out the door in 2 years and be back at square one with a top 4 D man, because honestly they don't have any right now and their prospects are very average at best, not minute logging players.
    Honestly, I think Subban is overrated (not terribly overrated, but still in that category). If someone offer sheets him Montreal gets at least a first, second, and third round pick. Even if it's a team like NYR who offer sheets him, I think Canadiens win that deal.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Nah, he won't get an offer sheet for more then 4 million, every GM knows at his age, he isn't proven nor worth at least that much, 3.5 million is the right number for him for 3 years, then you can truly evaluate where he is at in his career and see how good he is. I agree he is overrated, but he is a good player regardless.

No, but if you offer s heet him for 3.5/year, odds are Montreal will just suck it up and re-sign. If you're trying to snake him away, you have to make it high enough that Montreal is like 'well fuck that makes no sense' but not so high that you're selling your picks for years to come.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Greeney View Post
    Honestly, I think Subban is overrated (not terribly overrated, but still in that category). If someone offer sheets him Montreal gets at least a first, second, and third round pick. Even if it's a team like NYR who offer sheets him, I think Canadiens win that deal.
    At BEST, Montreal would get a 1st and a third from an offer sheet and that is only if someone signed him to a deal worth $3,364,391 to $5,046,585. A deal less than that, say $10 million over three years, is only going to net the Habs a second round pick. You don't get into the 1,2,3 compensation until you are offering a guy $6 million per year which no one is going to do. I think you are drastically underrating the guy though. He plays both special teams, he is big and physical, and he is very young. Yes he has work to do, but have you looked around the NHL lately at what guys are getting paid? Subban is easily a $3.5-4.5 million per year player.

If I was an NHL GM with cap space and a need on defense, cough mother fucking Detorit cough, I would offer sheet Subban 3 years $14 million in a freaking instant. Is Subban worth a first round and a third round pick, absofreakinglutely. He is an NHL proven defenseman with offensive upside who plays PK and PP. Where the heck are you getting that if you are a team drafting in the mid 20s every year? That is essentially one year less than what the Wings just gave Quincey in arbitration and I would take Subban in a freaking heartbeat over Quincey.

---------- Post added 2012-08-03 at 09:05 PM ----------

-Wings apparently made an offer for JayBo according to the Calgary Herald. No report if it was turned down or if they are still working on it.
    -Doan met with Vancouver where he would fit perfectly. Sharks also a frontrunner.
    -Its all over pretty much every news source, but Jamison doesn't have the financing and they have no idea where he is going to get the money to even operate the team after buying it. If the sale does happen he is basically banking on investors suddenly getting interested in setting their fortunes on fire and if he doesn't lure more hello bankruptcy a year or two from now.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Subban is only 21 or 22, he isn't fully developed and he sure as hell isn't mature enough to be playing in the NHL. He is cocky and needs to stop running his mouth in interviews like he does on occasion, it's going to cost him on the ice when someone levels him out. I think he stays in Montreal for a couple more years and then goes to free agency if they don't offer him the right amount of money. He is logging the most ice time of anyone on the team and doing a decent job of it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post

Wings apparently made an offer for JayBo according to the Calgary Herald. No report if it was turned down or if they are still working on it.
    An overpaid, under producing defensman who has never played in the playoffs. The guy could be decent next to Kronwall, bumping White down to the second unit.
    You can tell WoW changed the MMO for good when players started complaining about the amount of time they sink, into a time sink.

15+ Year Old Account
    An overpaid, under producing defensman who has never played in the playoffs. The guy could be decent next to Kronwall, bumping White down to the second unit.
    Agreed, agreed, but come on you can't blame him for never making the playoffs. He played for freaking Florida and Calgary two of the worst run franchises in the NHL. If the Wings can find the 12-15 goal scorer he was in Florida though he would be worth having. Still a bigger fan of just playing the kids though than paying him $7 million for the next two seasons.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd much rather play Smith and save the cap space for resigning Howard/Filps while possibly picking up someone in FA. Currently the 2013 FA pool is packed with solid players. http://capgeek.com/free_agents.php?y...1&fa_type_id=2
    You can tell WoW changed the MMO for good when players started complaining about the amount of time they sink, into a time sink.

15+ Year Old Account
    I'd much rather play Smith and save the cap space for resigning Howard/Filps while possibly picking up someone in FA. Currently the 2013 FA pool is packed with solid players. http://capgeek.com/free_agents.php?y...1&fa_type_id=2
    I think the only guys in the class I'd really want to chase would be Streit, Weiss, and Lupul and then maybe Zajac or Getzlaf if they actually hit the market.

10+ Year Old Account
    Depending on how much they'd be I would love to see Whitney/Bouchard as possible plan B. Whitney obviously comes with risks due to his sub par defensive play and Bouchard for his injuries.

I'd love to get Weiss though, as that might allow Babcock to have enough depth to bump Zetterberg to the top line with Dats/Franzen. While leaving Filps, Weiss and Samuelsson/Brunner/Nyqvist as possible RW for the second line.

Breaking news!

This thread is on the second page, and that's not acceptable!

This breaking news has been brought to you by the NHL Fans of MMO-Champion, the fanniest fans in fanville!

15+ Year Old Account
    There's no need to keep the thread bumped. If someone has something to say they know where the thread is.

10+ Year Old Account
    Anyone else having serious withdraws? lol

I've been watching every video on NHL.com and finding games on YouTube. I spent the last 20 minutes watching Avery and Brodeur going at it over the years.

15+ Year Old Account
    Hockey Withdrawals? whats that?

...must have hockey...
    ...must have hockey...

...must have hockey...
    ...must have hockey...

...must have hockey...

...must have hockey...

...must have hockey...

Pre-season has started in Sweden. Good times.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    Pre-season has started in Sweden. Good times.
    Yeah, except your regular season ends in March or something though right?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    Yeah, except your regular season ends in March or something though right?
    Ya it ends closer to when hockey should end, you know, the spring not in the middle of damn June.

And in time for us to be able to enjoy IIHF worlc championship without being distracted!
    .. Well, I still watch the Stanley Cup, but you get the point.