Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    I like how Ovechkin wasn't in any trophy discussions 3 months ago, now he gets nominated for the Hart. Figures Crosby get a nod too even though he missed half the season. Sorry folks but you can't be the team MVP when your ass is in the press box most nights.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    I like how Ovechkin wasn't in any trophy discussions 3 months ago, now he gets nominated for the Hart. Figures Crosby get a nod too even though he missed half the season. Sorry folks but you can't be the team MVP when your ass is in the press box most nights.
    RE: Ovechkin - You can be the team MVP when your individual efforts towards the end of the season let you single-handedly earn your team a playoff berth.

Deleted
    Yeah, but Crosby was absolutely on his way for an Art Ross trophy until he ate that puck. He truly was amazing when he was playing so I understand he got the nomination. Hart should still go to Ovechkin.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Missed half the season(or 12 games depending on how you look at it), only lost the point lead by 4 and had it held until the last few games. I don't think he will win but he had an incredible season and made Kunitz look like a god damn allstar. I personally don't have a problem with him being there, he didn't miss -that- many games. Tavaras or Ovie deserve it because their teams would be absolute shit if they weren't as good as they were this year. The Penguins were just fine without Sid.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    My point is that the Hart trophy shouldn't just be for the guys who score a lot of goals. It seems to be the same guys a lot of years when there are players out there who put up far more impressive individual efforts and don't get nominated just because they don't score many goals or rack up points.

Deleted
    My point is that the Hart trophy shouldn't just be for the guys who score a lot of goals. It seems to be the same guys a lot of years when there are players out there who put up far more impressive individual efforts and don't get nominated just because they don't score many goals or rack up points.
    Who would your Hart nominees be?

I think Ovie and Tavares are pretty good nominations as their teams wouldn't have been even close to where they are now without them. One could make a case for Bobrovsky and maybe Anderson (although he missed a good chunk of games due to injury). I think even Crosby is justified, considering how much points he racked up while missing 12 games. But aside from those?

10+ Year Old Account
    [QUOTE=Anassi;21086442]Who would your Hart nominees be?/QUOTE]

Toews, Tavares, Bobrovsky.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Taros View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Anassi View Post
    Who would your Hart nominees be?
    and this would be my winner.

Quote Originally Posted by marcelos11 View Post
    and this would be my winner.
    I feel like giving the Hart trophy to a player whose team doesn't make the playoffs is like giving the Conn Smythe to a player whose team lost the ECF. Yeah he was important to the team, but not important enough to get them to the playoffs. That's why he's in the running for the vezina. Can you really give the Hart to someone on the 17-18th best team in the league?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rylon View Post
    I feel like giving the Hart trophy to a player whose team doesn't make the playoffs is like giving the Conn Smythe to a player whose team lost the ECF. Yeah he was important to the team, but not important enough to get them to the playoffs. That's why he's in the running for the vezina. Can you really give the Hart to someone on the 17-18th best team in the league?
    the hart trophy is there to award the player judged to be the most valuable player. can you name one player who had a bigger impact for his team than bobrovsky? by the way, if they had played in the east, the blue jackets would have made teh playoffs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    I bet MTL is happy they got rid of Halak in favour of a proper backup.

Oh wait
    You do remember who was GM when that happened, right? That alone says much.
    It's time to level up and quit your newbie ways
    You need to go outside and get some new V-rays
    A fresh breath of air will help you talk again
    Inhale, exhale, feel the Oxygen
    - Woodman

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    In most cases I'd agree, but with everything considered, Bobrovski brought that team from 29th/30th to pretty much making the playoffs single handedly. Without him, they're playing for a lotto pick. Columbus is consistently regarded as the worst team in the league year after year. They just traded their only good player to New York. If you put Bobrovski on most other team this year, they're not only making the playoffs, they're probably contending for home ice. I think he 100% deserves the Vezina and 100% deserves a nomination for the Hart. There wasn't anything more he could do to make his team make the playoffs, they just plain weren't good. Blue Jackets top 2 scorers were Vinny Prospel and Mark Letestu, come on now. That being said, there are so many Hart nominations that could have gone through this year. Not making the playoffs was ultimately the reason Bob got the snub which is stupid because Crosby and Ovechkin play on much better teams, Tavaras to an extent.

My personal pick was Jonathon Toews. Martin St Louis has another amazing season too.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Taros View Post

Those would be a few good choices. The Leafs have an unsung hero that has done more for the team in making them better defensively, and that is Jay McClemment. Sure, he isn't our best offensively but he has carried our penalty killing to one of the best in the league, while we had one of the worst for several years running. And that is why they are where they are today.
    Last edited by Rennadrel; 2013-05-10 at 09:07 PM.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    We have this same argument in the NBA thread, whether MVP awards are for the player most valuable to his team, or simply the best player in the league. If you think it's the former than Tavares, Bobrovski, or Ovechkin make the most sense; if you think it's the latter than it has to be Crosby. His points per games played is just so much higher than everyone else.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Well the Hart is the best player representing their team. It's always the best scorer on any given team, rather then the best all around player.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jackofwind View Post
    RE: Ovechkin - You can be the team MVP when your individual efforts towards the end of the season let you single-handedly earn your team a playoff berth.
    what about the vacation he was on the first half of the season?

I said Toews awhile back and I stick by it

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    God I am very nervous right now.

---------- Post added 2013-05-10 at 07:39 PM ----------

Toronto is playing pretty well in the first period but Rask is keeping Boston in the game.

---------- Post added 2013-05-10 at 08:10 PM ----------

You gotta admit that Jake Gardiner is playing a lot better the last two games, I think he has finally figure out what Carlyle has been preaching to him about playing defense as he has been far more aggressive without getting overzealous about taking his man and making the right decisions in his own zone.

Boston has been terrible with turning over the puck in the neutral zone and in their own end tonight, Rask is continuing to bail them out.
    Last edited by Rennadrel; 2013-05-10 at 11:39 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Good job by Bozak.
    "Some people believe football is a matter of life and death, I am very disappointed with that attitude. I can assure you it is much, much more important than that".
    Bill Shankly
    "You're playing worse and worse every day and right now you're playing like it's next month".
    Herb Brooks

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    That was a beauty by Bozak, he did the same thing against Winnipeg's Pavelec earlier this year.

Deleted
    I really hope this will be the last game with Detroit this season.