15+ Year Old Account
    This side of an imaginary line in the sand
    Quote Originally Posted by Reg View Post
    Torts "relieved of his coaching duties" lol
    Honestly, whoever didn't see that coming isn't paying enough attention.
    red panda red panda red panda!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Asera View Post
    Honestly, whoever didn't see that coming isn't paying enough attention.
    I've been waiting for the announcement. I knew he was on his way out, but then when Lundqvist had some choice words about why he wasn't extending his contract yet, I knew it was going to happen sooner than later.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    I don't really understand the whole San Jose choke perspective. Choking is when you're very heavily favoured or have a gigantic lead in a series and lose it. When have the Sharks ever been heavy favourites to win the cup? I can't ever remember being like damn, who can beat the Sharks? after a regular season even when they did have good seasons. If you're calling the Sharks chokes, then you'll have to consider Buffalo, Columbus, Florida, Minnesota, Nashville, Phoenix, St Louis, Vancouver, Washington and Ottawa chokes too. I mean the Preds have made the playoffs 7 times since 03-04, why are they not considered a shitty playoff team? I don't see San Jose as playoff chokes personally, I see them as a pretty good team that isn't quite good enough to win. If you look at the past 5 winning teams, they've all been pretty damn good teams.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Juno86 View Post
    I didn't even make the joke, I'm telling you the fucking context WHICH YOU ARE STILL NOT GETTING through your head! They have won 6 Division championships and President's trophy which they were then swept in 4 games. Twice they have made it to the Conference finals and they lost 4-1 and 4-0. They have BUILT a solid reputation of not being playoff performers and that's why San Jose choke jokes are fucking made.
    You still aren't telling me how any of this applies or matters, do you know what choking is?

15+ Year Old Account
    being the defending stanley cup champion hasnt meant anything since the late 90s as that was the last time anyone repeated

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reg View Post
    Torts "relieved of his coaching duties" lol
    Called it!

Quote Originally Posted by marcelos11 View Post
    being the defending stanley cup champion hasnt meant anything since the late 90s as that was the last time anyone repeated
    It does mean something, just not as much as it used to. The last 5 teams remaining right now are the past five winners. So, clearly you can see some semblance of consistency. There is however enough parity that you won't see a dynasty, you'll just see a handful of teams who are always in the mix.

15+ Year Old Account
    This side of an imaginary line in the sand
    I will laugh if Mr. Tortellini ends up coaching the Canucks and AV ends up in Manhattan.
    red panda red panda red panda!

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Doubt Torts ends up in Vancouver, they were talking about Dallas Eakens (Toronto Marlies coach) being the next Canuck head coach. He's done a pretty good job in the AHL developing some of the guys you see on the Leafs now.

Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    You still aren't telling me how any of this applies or matters, do you know what choking is?
    For the love of fuck, are you still not getting this? I didn't make the joke you were referring too, I do not even think San Jose choke joke's are that funny. I am simply explaining why it happens.

It has everything to do with why the jokes are made, that's why I brought it up and pointed it out. It's because they have a history of not doing well in the playoffs that the jokes are made, that was the whole god damned point. You are STILL stuck on it being about actually choking when it has little or nothing to do with choking itself and much more to do there lack of performance.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Katie Strang reported not to rule out Messier for the job. (Talking about NYR job obviously)

Look for the Rangers to be a much improved team next year. If they were smart they would pick up Ruff or Vigneault, though I have been saying that about every team with a coaching vacancy. Also, Messier did interview for the Oilers job a couple years ago so there is serious interest from Messier in putting himself behind a bench somewhere.

Game 7 Wings and Hawks tonight. Should be an amazing game. No idea who is going to win...both experienced teams with goalies who are capable of winning or losing the game for their teams.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stommped View Post
    Katie Strang reported not to rule out Messier for the job. (Talking about NYR job obviously)
    That's who I've been hoping for, he did well with Team Canada in a couple of those tournaments over in Europe. He\s respected through most of the NHL (I imagine) and definitely in NY. I think his type of game fits better with the roster they have.

I do have this lingering feeling that we will end up with Ruff... I have no idea why, but his name just keeps popping in my head.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeoni View Post
    Doubt Torts ends up in Vancouver, they were talking about Dallas Eakens (Toronto Marlies coach) being the next Canuck head coach. He's done a pretty good job in the AHL developing some of the guys you see on the Leafs now.
    I wouldn't say he has done that good of a job, Kadri was the only good player to come out of his system for us this year. Frattin was terrible and I don't think he will be back on the Leafs roster next year, Holzer was good for a while, same goes for Kostka, but both need to be reassigned to the Marlies for next season.

10+ Year Old Account
    For the love of fuck, are you still not getting this? I didn't make the joke you were referring too, I do not even think San Jose choke joke's are that funny. I am simply explaining why it happens.

It has everything to do with why the jokes are made, that's why I brought it up and pointed it out. It's because they have a history of not doing well in the playoffs that the jokes are made, that was the whole god damned point. You are STILL stuck on it being about actually choking when it has little or nothing to do with choking itself and much more to do there lack of performance.
    and you're explaining to me something I already know, why? My point was that the joke does not apply anymore, and that folks who's team had an astounding game 7 collapse and haven't won a cup in 45 years shouldn't be poking fun, I don't really know why you jumped into this, or why you got so worked up about it

Deleted
    Remember to stay classy detriot. My pregame prediction. It didn't last long before that ended. What a dive by detriot.
    Last edited by mmoc3bebee2ce5; 2013-05-30 at 12:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    and you're explaining to me something I already know, why? My point was that the joke does not apply anymore, and that folks who's team had an astounding game 7 collapse and haven't won a cup in 45 years shouldn't be poking fun, I don't really know why you jumped into this, or why you got so worked up about it
    You just killed your own point. Your saying the past doesn't matter then insult Toronto by saying they haven't won for 45 years? Hell, do you even read what you type? San Jose not playing well in the playoffs = jokes, Toronto not winning the cup in 45 years = jokes, Vancouver and the Sedin Sisters = jokes, it doesn't matter what anyone does one season, those jokes are ALWAYS gonna be there. Saying they don't apply anymore is never gonna stop those jokes, for any reason, ever. It's just how sports fans are. You mock other's teams for every reason possible. Even if your own team is guilty of the thing your mocking.

You just killed your own point. Your saying the past doesn't matter then insult Toronto by saying they haven't won for 45 years? Hell, do you even read what you type? San Jose not playing well in the playoffs = jokes, Toronto not winning the cup in 45 years = jokes, Vancouver and the Sedin Sisters = jokes, it doesn't matter what anyone does one season, those jokes are ALWAYS gonna be there. Saying they don't apply anymore is never gonna stop those jokes, for any reason, ever. It's just how sports fans are. You mock other's teams for every reason possible. Even if your own team is guilty of the thing your mocking.
    I agree with your last point. I'm going to be making Claude Giroux "Best player in the world" jokes for years to come. Just like how I occasionally text my buddy who's a patriots fan "18-1" every once and awhile. That's never going to get old, and that happened in 2008

10+ Year Old Account
    Toronto could win, the Sedins could retire, the Sharks could stop being favored to do well in the post season

one of these things happened

They don't have roughing in this series do they? I haven't watched much of Detroit/Chicago but do they pretty much let everything after the whistle go?

Deleted
    Them refs are really trying to give Detriot that goal. Pathetic.