10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    If the Leafs can unload Liles, Fraser will get a longer term contract next summer. Now I am just worried about Franson and Kadri's contract values.
    Not to mention Kessel and Phaneuf

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Phaneuf is getting a pay cut, he is only making 6.5 million because of Darryl Sutter. There is no way the Leafs are going to keep paying him that kind of money, and no one will to be honest. He will be lucky to break 5 million ever again in his career, no one is stupid enough to pay him that kind of money. If only he has a defense partner who actually complimented his game, if he got back to the 40-50 point player consistently that he was when he was in Calgary, I think he deserves 5 million. If Letang gets 7 million to be as shitty defensively as he usually is, Phaneuf deserves at least 5 million for being less of a liability and still half way decent offensively.

I have never really understood all the Phaneuf hate either. Sure, he has made some defensive mistakes, who hasn't? But we are a season and a half removed from a year where he put up 44 points for Toronto. And in 4 years in Toronto, he has only been what one would consider lousy defensively, once where he was -10 (the same year he had 44 points) which was just a shitty year for the Leafs in general. Far from a defensive liability as so many of my fellow Leaf fans claim, and when you have a good goalie in the net, it makes your skaters look better, we didn't have that a few years ago. Heck, in an 82 game season, Phaneuf was on pace for 50 points this past year, and would have been about a -7 in terms of +/- which isn't horrible by any means.

While I don't defend the guy for making mistakes, people rip on him for it while ignoring what he brings to the team that is positive. I think a lot of Toronto fans are just conceited and look at all the negative rather then the positives, like losing to Boston in game 7 where the team just literally shit the bed the last 10 minutes, but literally had the Bruins hanging by their balls for much of the game.
    Last edited by Rennadrel; 2013-08-02 at 08:51 PM.

The Phaneuf hate largely stems from being the #1 D at 6.5M when he would be better suited as a #2/3 guy making 4-5M. That's my guess. While -7 isn't terrible, it's not exactly what you need/want out of your top guy on the back end. Not everyone is going to be a Lidstrom, but to me Phaneuf is more of a defensive liability. I can't count the number of times the puck has been in/around his feet, and he just stands there like a deer in the headlights, not reacting very quickly/effectively. And more often than not, that lack of doing anything leads to scoring chances for the opponents.

Also, how do you look at the positives in a game where you were winning by 3 goals with 11 minutes to go, and by 2 with less than 2 minutes? It's not like that was a stepping stone or learning experience - that sequence literally cost them their season.

15+ Year Old Account
    The Yotes deal has three days to be finalized by the board of governors and guess what, part of the financing either hasn't come through or has backed out of the deal entirely. That isn't from a random source either. That is from the main guy at Phoenix business journal. Oh and Bettman asked the board about expanding to Seattle in the 14-15 season. Hi-fucking-larious. They are going to fold the Yotes and "expand" to Seattle to make an extra 75 million or so.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    I think a lot of Toronto fans are just conceited and look at all the negative rather then the positives, like losing to Boston in game 7 where the team just literally shit the bed the last 10 minutes, but literally had the Bruins hanging by their balls for much of the game.
    you don't get your name on the cup for being good for part of one game, there is no positive to that game, the season and the six games before it have some positive, that game 7 was a disaster

10+ Year Old Account
    Working across the street from Lollapalooza 3 days straight? Worst time of my life...

15+ Year Old Account
    The Yotes did it! They finally have an owner everybody. "Here to stay!" for 5 years or $50 million in losses

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    I wish we had good music festivals in Canada, seriously all of ours are shitty or insanely overpriced like most concerts are. EdgeFest is about the only halfway decent one in Ontario. The good news is that hockey season isn't far off, training camps open in September, preseason starts on the 22nd or 23rd.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    The Yotes did it! They finally have an owner everybody. "Here to stay!" for 5 years or $50 million in losses
    I can't wait to see Bettman's face when the franchise is moved in 2-3 years.
    "Some people believe football is a matter of life and death, I am very disappointed with that attitude. I can assure you it is much, much more important than that".
    Bill Shankly
    "You're playing worse and worse every day and right now you're playing like it's next month".
    Herb Brooks

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elgefar View Post
    Les Coyotes de Québec

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elgefar View Post
    I can't wait to see Bettman's pink slip

10+ Year Old Account
    http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=429233

sad to hear

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    I can't wait to see Bettman's pink slip

Won't happen. Contrary to the fan/players. The owners are happy with him in place.

15+ Year Old Account
    Oh look, the NHL is going to soon be the owners of another franchise, the New Jersey Devils. That is probably something that should have, and would have, happened last year if the Yotes would have been sold and/or relocated sooner. The Yotes took around 4 years to get an owner. I'd be shocked if the Devils take 4 months. The owners of the 76ers are already looking into buying the franchise along with at least one other group including a guy who loaned the team $30 million last year.

How broke is Vanderbeek, the current Devils owner, you ask? He is so broke that the Prudential Center can't afford to pay the upfront costs to musical acts or others they are trying to book to play there.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kabookiejoez View Post
    Won't happen. Contrary to the fan/players. The owners are happy with him in place.
    I wanted to say his 'tombstone', but I toned it down some

10+ Year Old Account
    It's kind of depressing the thread has fallen off the front page, can't we find something to talk about? Oh, I know...

Quote Originally Posted by Stommped View Post
    I think it's time to switch your avatar. You have a tremendous amount to be proud of with the Kings... not so much with the Dodgers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Garbles View Post
    Hahahha i was starting to think the same thing, second highest payroll in the league and one of the worst w/l records...eeeek
    Quote Originally Posted by Raleik View Post
    Thanks for taking all those contracts off our hands btw. Can't say I'm surprised by your record with that cast of characters over there. Practically the past two years Red Sox 2.0.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    It's kind of depressing the thread has fallen off the front page, can't we find something to talk about? Oh, I know...

Your idea to get the NHL thread active again was to discuss baseball...? You couldn't just pick a headline at random off the NHL front page like... Avalanche to retire Adam Foote's #52

10+ Year Old Account
    Think the title needs to be edited, 13-13 season?

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoma View Post
    Your idea to get the NHL thread active again was to discuss baseball...? You couldn't just pick a headline at random off the NHL front page like... Avalanche to retire Adam Foote's #52
    How bout this one, Which individual record is least likely to be broken? It has to be the career +/-. With the salary cap and overall balance of the league now no one is ever gunna sniff the +730 at the end of their career. Even Lidstrom was barely over halfway there when he called it quits.

10+ Year Old Account
    I was just talking about Larry's +730 the other day, it was pretty badass and he was a + player every year of his career. It did make me a little sad that the Kings knocked off his Devils, Larry Robinson is still very well thought of here.

I want time to speed up because of hockey season but I want it to stop because works gonna get a lot more busy.