15+ Year Old Account
    This side of an imaginary line in the sand
    I just realized that this lockout is probably going to cost Canadians money. I might be wrong but it seems likely with how the CBC works.

CBC is crown, it's funded by taxes as well as whatever it can get through commercials and whatnot. No hockey season means HNIC will not be shown, so their primary revenue is suddenly gone. Thus, because the government loves to preserve our broadcasting sovereignty or whatever, the CBC will have to be supported even more through taxes despite just getting a funding cut this past year.

Wahoo. I am so excited to have to pay for something I don't want to pay for.
    red panda red panda red panda!

10+ Year Old Account
    If I have to pay more taxes to support HNIC, I'm moving to Buffalo. I was hoping this lockout might cause Don Cherry to retire... Or have a stroke and die, idc either way.
    You can tell WoW changed the MMO for good when players started complaining about the amount of time they sink, into a time sink.

15+ Year Old Account
    You picked the worst province to live in if you hate paying taxes dude.

10+ Year Old Account
    From NHL.com

The following message to fans was issued by the National Hockey League on Sunday:

Despite the expiration of the Collective Bargaining Agreement, the National Hockey League has been, and remains, committed to negotiating around the clock to reach a new CBA that is fair to the Players and to the 30 NHL teams.

Thanks to the conditions fostered by seven seasons under the previous CBA, competitive balance has created arguably the most meaningful regular season in pro sports; a different team has won the Stanley Cup every year; fans and sponsors have agreed the game is at its best, and the League has generated remarkable growth and momentum. While our last CBA negotiation resulted in a seismic change in the League's economic system, and produced corresponding on-ice benefits, our current negotiation is focused on a fairer and more sustainable division of revenues with the Players -- as well as other necessary adjustments consistent with the objectives of the economic system we developed jointly with the NHL Players' Association seven years ago. Those adjustments are attainable through sensible, focused negotiation -- not through rhetoric.

This is a time of year for all attention to be focused on the ice, not on a meeting room. The League, the Clubs and the Players all have a stake in resolving our bargaining issues appropriately and getting the puck dropped as soon as possible. We owe it to each other, to the game and, most of all, to the fans.

15+ Year Old Account
    It's almost as if they forgot that they play for fans who watch and buy their shit... at a time when hockey is struggling as it is, this might be a big blow to their revenues as sponsors and advertisers place their money elsewhere.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Asera View Post
    You picked the worst province to live in if you hate paying taxes dude.
    I'm fine with paying taxes, I just don't want mine to support HNIC.
    You can tell WoW changed the MMO for good when players started complaining about the amount of time they sink, into a time sink.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Irony View Post
    Everyone does, so stop whining :P

Regardless, at least with a lockout the Marlies are going to be the team to watch over the winter which bodes well for the Leafs as an organization. They went all the way to the Calder Cup last year and got beat by a healthier team, so hopefully they can repeat last seasons success and it gives more time for the young guys who were call ups last year, to play full time and get some extra time to really show that they are truly ready to make the jump to the NHL.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Irony View Post
    You're insane if you're OK with a 15% sales tax.

15+ Year Old Account
    lol. nice title conscript

15+ Year Old Account
    Is that on top of payroll taxes and the like? If so yoikes.

Move to Sweden. 25%. Could be higher.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    Is that on top of payroll taxes and the like? If so yoikes.
    Yup.

Move to Sweden. 25%. Could be higher.
    Could be higher, sure, but it will never be a good idea.

So did anyone else get NHL'13 to supplement the lockout? I did.

One of the first things I did was this:

Either the sim isn't very accurate, or Tampa Bay really sucks right now.
    Last edited by Asera; 2012-09-16 at 09:56 PM.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Or the AI just blows. Either way, I haven't bought an NHL game since they stopped making them for the PC and the last Wii one was shit. I ain't buying a console for like 2 games.
    Last edited by Rennadrel; 2012-09-16 at 11:40 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    the AI in EA games blows...they predicted UM to beat Bama in college football by two touchdowns...nuf said?

One of the games did, yes.

In a thousand sims, it would likely average itself out again. I mean, all those scenarios can potentially happen, albeit unlikely so. I'm sure Oilers had shutouts against good teams in bad seasons. I'm sure I could get the Whalers to sim to the finals in NHL95. Give me enough tries.
    Just saying that the sample size is too small. Over a whole season, it would look more life-like, although certain games are more fluke than they would be IRL. :P

I literally bought a 360 for baseball and hockey games (and a couple other cool titles when I see them). Though it's at my parents house, and I am currently sad.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Somehow I don't think they really give a fuck what the fans think at all, just trying to stop the bleeding since 3 lockouts in this amount of time is really pathetic. Gotta get that paycheck, making 5 mil a year when I should be making 2 mil a year is IMPORTANT. Fuck the players, fuck the owners. They're both too greedy. But with all this, the unfortunate part is every unhappy fan such as myself will come back because it's the only place to watch top level hockey.
    Last edited by Zeoni; 2012-09-17 at 04:12 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    Or the AI just blows. Either way, I haven't bought an NHL game since they stopped making them for the PC and the last Wii one was shit. I ain't buying a console for like 2 games.
    EA should make sports game for PC aswell. I hate the fact I as you need to buy a console to play Madden or NHL.. Generally I just hate EA.
    The good thing about the lockout is that the Danes might come home and play. Wearing my Hawks shirt with pride and I'm gonna create a banner with: Nucks blows. Let's go Hawks!
    Oderint dum metuat.
    Success is dependent on effort.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/lockout.php
    Gives a pretty decent overview.