10+ Year Old Account
    Not much of a pre-season record for the 'Nucks, but it's been mostly the AHL team playing. The game I went to against the Ducks had Schneider, Lapierre, followed by a couple guys who were healthy scratches during the playoffs, and then a ton of names I didn't recognize.

Heard on the radio we'd be playing closer to the main roster once we've whittled down the prospects a bit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Though I;m loving Shanny going to town on all of these suspensions, I don't think whether the player was injured or not, should be a factor. Smith deserved a suspensions, I just think it was a bit much. Oh well.
    You can tell WoW changed the MMO for good when players started complaining about the amount of time they sink, into a time sink.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Irony View Post
    I don't think whether the player was injured or not, should be a factor.
    Agreed. The same hit on two different players can have two far different effects. Suspensions should be made based only on the intent and/or recklessness of the offender.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Though I;m loving Shanny going to town on all of these suspensions, I don't think whether the player was injured or not, should be a factor. Smith deserved a suspensions, I just think it was a bit much. Oh well.
    Actually, in a world of equals, a suspension should be as long as the player who is injured, in severe cases anyway. Like when Sean Avery hacked Dion Phaneuf last year and he was out two months with a knee injury, he should have been not only suspended for that attack, it should have been for the duration of Phaneuf's injury. When you get players who intend to injure with their actions, that is worthy of much longer suspensions then 8 games. Start putting guys out 3 months with suspensions and see how they like it. If they don't want to follow the rules, they can go play in the KHL or something.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    Actually, in a world of equals, a suspension should be as long as the player who is injured, in severe cases anyway. Like when Sean Avery hacked Dion Phaneuf last year and he was out two months with a knee injury, he should have been not only suspended for that attack, it should have been for the duration of Phaneuf's injury. When you get players who intend to injure with their actions, that is worthy of much longer suspensions then 8 games. Start putting guys out 3 months with suspensions and see how they like it. If they don't want to follow the rules, they can go play in the KHL or something.
    Well here is the first real situation that Shanny will get to base on significant player injury:

Fedun broke his femur and will be out a long, long time thanks to a reckless play by Nystrom on an icing play. Nystrom ended up getting a major and a misconduct as he well should have. I'd be surprised if he doesn't get a lengthy suspension.

Touch icing needs to be taken out of the NHL. Go to a hybrid icing like most other leagues use. There is no reason to risk player safety on these stupid chases when they are worried about it in so many other areas.

Uhhhhhh. Didn't Avery whack Komisarek? I could be wrong on that one, but I'm positive Phaneuf's missed time was due to a freak accident where a skate cut his thigh or some shit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    Well here is the first real situation that Shanny will get to base on significant player injury:

Fedun broke his femur and will be out a long, long time thanks to a reckless play by Nystrom on an icing play. Nystrom ended up getting a major and a misconduct as he well should have. I'd be surprised if he doesn't get a lengthy suspension.
    I don't think any suspension should come out of this. Nystrom was simply being aggressive for the puck and it looks like Fedun got caught up in his stick. Seems the type of play, where if Fedun hadn't of gotten injured, no one would of even mentioned this. The angle of this video is pretty bad, but it just doesn't look like he makes any attempt to hit Fedun.
    Last edited by Irony; 2011-10-01 at 04:54 PM.
    You can tell WoW changed the MMO for good when players started complaining about the amount of time they sink, into a time sink.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by VanillaO View Post
    Uhhhhhh. Didn't Avery whack Komisarek? I could be wrong on that one, but I'm positive Phaneuf's missed time was due to a freak accident where a skate cut his thigh or some shit.
    Right, it was Komisarek. Regardless of who it happened to though, that sort of crap which is intentional should come with much longer suspensions and severe fines.

Oh and LOL at Clark MacArthur getting suspended for hitting Justin Abdelkader last night after regulation time was over. That's a fucking joke suspension, 3 games especially, a fine would have been more then sufficient for a first time offense. If anything, Abdelkader should have been suspended for the instigator rule he broke as well as finde for misconduct and just generally being a little bitch trying to start a fight at the end of regulation because he got hit. Welcome to playing in an Original 6 match up, the game is always physical and it's always tough and you aren't always going to like what someone does to you. I hope he watches his back tonight, someone will come after him if he isn't careful.

10+ Year Old Account
    Da Bears!!

infracted
    Last edited by conscript; 2011-10-02 at 12:00 PM.

Rennadrel, you clearly don't understand the whole point of Shanahan giving suspensions. First time offences shouldn't be happening. "Oh, you gave the guy a concussion, but since it was your first time, we'll just take a bit of money." This is the exact thing that was wrong with the way Campbell handled things. It was not a big hit, his arm stayed tight to the body, but he hit him in the head, and only in the head. Get it out of the game, or get out of the game - this is what Shanahan is trying to say.

10+ Year Old Account
    Right, it was Komisarek. Regardless of who it happened to though, that sort of crap which is intentional should come with much longer suspensions and severe fines.

Oh and LOL at Clark MacArthur getting suspended for hitting Justin Abdelkader last night after regulation time was over. That's a fucking joke suspension, 3 games especially, a fine would have been more then sufficient for a first time offense. If anything, Abdelkader should have been suspended for the instigator rule he broke as well as finde for misconduct and just generally being a little bitch trying to start a fight at the end of regulation because he got hit. Welcome to playing in an Original 6 match up, the game is always physical and it's always tough and you aren't always going to like what someone does to you. I hope he watches his back tonight, someone will come after him if he isn't careful.
    It was a clear hit to the head, with 5 seconds left in the third. It deserved a suspension.

15+ Year Old Account

Smith (Detroit) got 8 games for what he did, be happy it wasnt more.

Shanahan's said in his video that he doesn't believe MacArthur did it intentionally, but it qualified as reckless. I'm particularly annoyed about MacArthur missing the start of the season. However, we're never going to be happy when a leaf player is suspended and we're not the best to judge whether the rulings on Leafs players were fair. I'm sure if Abdelkader did it to MacArthur, you and I would be calling for his head on a silver platter.

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?id=125761

15+ Year Old Account
    I don't think any suspension should come out of this. Nystrom was simply being aggressive for the puck and it looks like Fedun got caught up in his stick. Seems the type of play, where if Fedun hadn't of gotten injured, no one would of even mentioned this. The angle of this video is pretty bad, but it just doesn't look like he makes any attempt to hit Fedun.
    Still, on icing puck chases you are supposed to avoid all contact because of injury risk (dumb rule is dumb). It doesn't warrant a suspension likely, but who knows if Shanny will give one just to try and discourage the action in the future.
    Last edited by conscript; 2011-10-02 at 12:03 PM.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    It was a clear hit to the head, with 5 seconds left in the third. It deserved a suspension.
    Yeah, and Abdelkader broke the instigator rule without a punishment, double standards are double standards. Anyone else who broke the instigator rule would have been suspended for it, whether they were victim of a dangerous hit or not. He got levelled by a tougher player and turned around and tried to start a fight, which is tantamount to a game misconduct under NHL rules. I am fine with the suspension, but it's hypocritical that Abdelkader didn't even get a fine for breaking the instigator rule by trying to start a fight after the hit and the buzzer had gone to end the 3rd period.

---------- Post added 2011-10-02 at 09:27 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    Still, on icing puck chases you are supposed to avoid all contact because of injury risk (dumb rule is dumb). It doesn't warrant a suspension likely, but who knows if Shanny will give one just to try and discourage the action in the future.
    There is too much of a grey area here and there is a good reason why they are trying to push for no touch icing. At the very least they should change the rules so that if the puck travels across two blue lines, the goalie can play it and it's ruled an icing, only problem is that it slows the game down and you have far more time in between stoppages of play if there is a lot of icing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Anyone sick of Brendan Shanahan already?

During the preseason I think 6 people were suspended for 5+ games. A lot of them were "head hits" which were clearly not intentional however now they can call them "reckless"? When was the last time he got out on his skates, they game is build on a fast pace sometimes there is collateral damage. Watching my team last night there was 7 power plays for the other team, I have never heard so many high sticks get called in my life. I hate it so much because I play Ice Hockey and this "crackdown" will change the game permanently to something I don't want it do be.

Edit: Looked at some of the comments above mine, I can tell that a lot of people are sick of him.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-Signature by Winter Blossom-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

10+ Year Old Account
    Most players are against concussions. Mistakes happen yes, but most of those suspensions came from players not thinking. Way too many players have had their seasons ended by reckless plays like these.

10+ Year Old Account
    i think the problem is.. Shanahan, and everyone else assumes because a guy got hit in the head. it was intentional, most of them are not, guys move at the last minute etc, and throws the check off..at the end of the day Matt Cooke killed physical game of hockey, with his elbows to the head of Marc Savard.

im waiting for a player, to make a video to dispute Shanny.. of course he will be fined and suspended for it, but it would be funny as hell

---------- Post added 2011-10-02 at 03:46 PM ----------

Yeah, and Abdelkader broke the instigator rule without a punishment, double standards are double standards. Anyone else who broke the instigator rule would have been suspended for it, whether they were victim of a dangerous hit or not. He got levelled by a tougher player and turned around and tried to start a fight, which is tantamount to a game misconduct under NHL rules. I am fine with the suspension, but it's hypocritical that Abdelkader didn't even get a fine for breaking the instigator rule by trying to start a fight after the hit and the buzzer had gone to end the 3rd period.

There is too much of a grey area here and there is a good reason why they are trying to push for no touch icing. At the very least they should change the rules so that if the puck travels across two blue lines, the goalie can play it and it's ruled an icing, only problem is that it slows the game down and you have far more time in between stoppages of play if there is a lot of icing.

the way i would do no touch icing.. if the opposing player is gonna get to the puck before the defenseman, the puck is alive, if the d-man is determined by the ref to make it to the puck, before the opposing player, call it icing.
    Last edited by Masqerader; 2011-10-02 at 06:47 PM.

There really is no disputing his videos, though. He's outlying exactly what parts of what rules you broke. How do you argue against fact with opinion?

15+ Year Old Account

so a guy hits you in the head and thats not a reason to get pissed off at him? i'm sorry but the only thing he did was retaliate for a hit, thats not instigating rennadrel.