Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Bettman and the owners don't give two squirts of piss about the fans, that much was evident with the last two lockouts, and the fact that Bettman himself has said that there will be no season without a new CBA. The owners are getting greedy and it's both the players and fans who are forced to suffer because of it. I wonder if the dumb bastard really has considered the fact that a lockout will cost the league more harm then anything else, and if a lockout happens it means that teams lose most of their revenue streams.

Bettman's not a dumb guy. Perhaps he's recognized that his southern expansion was a terrible idea, and he realizes that another lockout would be a super way to kill off a couple of those teams (or force them into moving, which he publicly opposes), without him looking like he's back tracking.

This is just speculation, but the guy is actually a pretty smart, shrewd businessman. I don't trust this weasel for a second, but I'm pretty sure we're looking at partial lockout of this season as a minimum.

EDIT: Apparently Hartnell signed an extension for $33M over 6. Kinda silly what we're seeing happen before the new CBA goes in place.
    Last edited by VanillaO; 2012-08-20 at 09:10 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by VanillaO View Post
    This is just speculation, but the guy is actually a pretty smart, shrewd businessman. I don't trust this weasel for a second, but I'm pretty sure we're looking at partial lockout of this season as a minimum.
    Thinking the same thing, although I'm all for getting rid of a few teams, even permanently. Consolidate the talent and make for more interesting hockey.

He's a smart guy, but also a pompous asshat.

He drove teams from Canada, but the economy has changed. Quebec wants a team again, there are at least 3 other cities in Canada that want an NHL team and have the fanbase, corporate support, etc.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by silkspith View Post
    He's a smart guy, but also a pompous asshat.

He drove teams from Canada, but the economy has changed. Quebec wants a team again, there are at least 3 other cities in Canada that want an NHL team and have the fanbase, corporate support, etc.
    Which other three? Hamilton maybe, but there's no way that will happen with the Leafs and Sabres right inbetween.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm expecting the first game of the season to be on American Thanksgiving. At the very very latest, the Winter Classic but I highly doubt they'll scrap that all together. Sucks that we gotta wait so long but a small season is way better than a long season. Stupid owners, screwing everything up.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Bettman's not a dumb guy. Perhaps he's recognized that his southern expansion was a terrible idea, and he realizes that another lockout would be a super way to kill off a couple of those teams (or force them into moving, which he publicly opposes), without him looking like he's back tracking.

EDIT: Apparently Hartnell signed an extension for $33M over 6. Kinda silly what we're seeing happen before the new CBA goes in place.
    A smart businessman would have conceded 4 years ago that the Coyotes were not viable in Phoenix and moved the team when the offer came to get the most money for the franchise. Now the league is stuck owning a team that they can't get an owner for because no one wants to own a money pit that can't be profitable by any means and every guy they find is shady and can't come up with the money.

I'm pretty sure that's exactly why we're seeing it happen now. Far easier for teams to negotiate right now than after some sort of 5 year limit kicks in.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzzie View Post
    Which other three? Hamilton maybe, but there's no way that will happen with the Leafs and Sabres right inbetween.
    Thats going to happen whether the Leafs and Sabres like it or not. They can bitch all they want but Bettman is going to find a way to put a second team in the best hockey market in the world. Maybe it takes an All Star game. some palm greasing in the CBA to prevent Toronto losing too much in revenue sharing, etc. but one way or another there will be a team in that arena the day it opens whether it is expansion or relocation.

---------- Post added 2012-08-20 at 11:35 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    A smart businessman would have conceded 4 years ago that the Coyotes were not viable in Phoenix and moved the team when the offer came to get the most money for the franchise. Now the league is stuck owning a team that they can't get an owner for because no one wants to own a money pit that can't be profitable by any means and every guy they find is shady and can't come up with the money.
    Supposedly, and I use that term lightly, the deal is done with Jamison and it will be set in stone as soon as the new CBA is in place. That makes me think that the NHL knows they are going to have to make pretty significant adjustments to revenue sharing in order to help that team or Jamison's offer is like to die. There is no way Jamison can take control of that team without some significant revenue sharing assistance. They could barely afford to buy the team let alone operate the damn thing. I can't see how on earth that deal can go through unless there is heavy revenue sharing to help cover a huge chunk of the inevitable losses.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hi

NHL 13 Demo here i come!
    Last edited by Garbles; 2012-08-21 at 06:34 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    "Detroit the injury, Heatley played all 82 games and led by example in establishing a new team culture for first-year coach Mike Yeo."

This sentence was written by a premiere writer over at NHL.com. How is NHL.com run by writers who don't proof read their own articles? And also have some sick fetish for puns?
    You can tell WoW changed the MMO for good when players started complaining about the amount of time they sink, into a time sink.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    Thats going to happen whether the Leafs and Sabres like it or not. They can bitch all they want but Bettman is going to find a way to put a second team in the best hockey market in the world. Maybe it takes an All Star game. some palm greasing in the CBA to prevent Toronto losing too much in revenue sharing, etc. but one way or another there will be a team in that arena the day it opens whether it is expansion or relocation.

---------- Post added 2012-08-20 at 11:35 PM ----------

Supposedly, and I use that term lightly, the deal is done with Jamison and it will be set in stone as soon as the new CBA is in place. That makes me think that the NHL knows they are going to have to make pretty significant adjustments to revenue sharing in order to help that team or Jamison's offer is like to die. There is no way Jamison can take control of that team without some significant revenue sharing assistance. They could barely afford to buy the team let alone operate the damn thing. I can't see how on earth that deal can go through unless there is heavy revenue sharing to help cover a huge chunk of the inevitable losses.
    Well, players from other teams are going to be against that sort of thing. Now you know why they want to cut revenue sharing from the players, so they can try and stuff that money into Phoenix and the other struggling markets rather then just flat out getting rid of them. Logic would dictate that when a franchise isn't making money, you get rid of it, rather then having other franchises using their own revenue to keep a failing one going.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    Well, players from other teams are going to be against that sort of thing. Now you know why they want to cut revenue sharing from the players, so they can try and stuff that money into Phoenix and the other struggling markets rather then just flat out getting rid of them. Logic would dictate that when a franchise isn't making money, you get rid of it, rather then having other franchises using their own revenue to keep a failing one going.
    The NHLPA is the group that wants the most extensive revenue sharing. Extensive revenue sharing means more secured jobs in the NHL. The owners want to cut the amount of money that goes to the players (HRI) which would lower salaries across the board in the NHL while giving the owners more money which would lower ticket prices according to Bettman circa 2004 (it didn't, they actually immediately raised them league wide).

Has anything happened with Luongo yet? I haven't heard about him in ages now.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    Has anything happened with Luongo yet? I haven't heard about him in ages now.
    Nothing at all sir. Not even any rumors of anything even in the works. I think the last news was that he officially asked for a trade and then that is it. More than likely an after CBA type deal at this point.

Last I heard about Luongo, there was some 'non-normal', more creative-type deals being thought up to get him to Columbus or Toronto. But even that was like 1-2 weeks ago or something.

15+ Year Old Account
    Last I heard about Luongo, there was some 'non-normal', more creative-type deals being thought up to get him to Columbus or Toronto. But even that was like 1-2 weeks ago or something.
    I don't even know what that could mean lol. Are they trading him for a new team bus or a new zamboni or something?

I mean he's at LEAST worth a few pucks, right?

Deleted
    I expect to see a considerable ransom once they ship him out. They also pretty much have to do it now, they can't just wait for next season to start and bench him, that would hurt his market value too much.

I also cannot imagine why Burke isn't jumping him right now. Last season the Leafs were literally one halfway decent goalie away from the playoffs, and Luongo is by *far* the best available goalie at the moment.

15+ Year Old Account
    I mean he's at LEAST worth a few pucks, right?
    Throw in some of them fancy carbon fiber sticks and a couple equipment bags to carry them in and you might have a deal. Or if your Vancouver hold out until Florida finally caves and offers their top center prospect which would be fucktard McStupidtown since the Panthers already have a potential ace goalie ready to go at the NHL level right now and it wouldn't cost them prospects, picks, or $6 million per year for the next 712 years.

---------- Post added 2012-08-21 at 01:18 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Anassi View Post
    I expect to see a considerable ransom once they ship him out. They also pretty much have to do it now, they can't just wait for next season to start and bench him, that would hurt his market value too much.

I also cannot imagine why Burke isn't jumping him right now. Last season the Leafs were literally one halfway decent goalie away from the playoffs, and Luongo is by *far* the best available goalie at the moment.
    He isn't, well he might be. Hell he might not even be the best goalie on the market right now in Vancouver. Eddie Lack, the Canucks stud AHL dominating goalie is still an RFA. The Leafs are hardly a Cup competitor this year so why not roll the dice on a huge upside prospect that has shown he can play. That also will save them a bundle of money that they can spend on Getzlaf, etc. next summer. Give Eddie Lack a 3 year, 1 way $3 million per year deal. That deal would be a massive headache for the Canucks who still want him on a two way deal. The cap hit is significant enough to make them think seriously about it. Its almost a no lose situation. Oh no they'll have to give up a 2nd round pick at that compensation level for one of the best young goalies not currently in the NHL.