10+ Year Old Account
    hey we're all friends here, can't we agree that all the Canadian teams are hapless bumblers?

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Greeney View Post
    Alright. The Leafs haven't won the Stanley Cup since 1992, Ottawa hasn't won the Cup since 1992. What could anyone say that makes Ottawa not suck? They went to the Stanley Cup finals, got blown out by Anaheim (outside of winning a fluke game) and scored the Stanley Cup game winning goal on themselves? Sure does give the Sens a lot to be proud about.

Also, just to dig a bit deeper, how many times did the Senators beat the Leafs in the post season since they became a team in 1992? Yeah, I still feel that Senator and Canuck (because it'll happen) fans really have no more of a right to flame us than Bluejackets fans.
    What gives any fan of a sports team any right to flame another team? Why should anyone care what team a certain person cheers for when they make fun of a different persons favourite team? Most people cheer for the city/area which they live or were born, naturally. Just because someone was born in Columbus it shoulden't mean they can't make fun of anyone else's team. This is the same with any other sport and it makes me laugh, personally. People shit on Browns fans just because they like Cleveland. You live somewhere, great. There happens to be a really good sports team there, great. Doesn't give you or anyone elseany sort of higher ranking as a fan just because of that.
    Last edited by Zeoni; 2013-01-07 at 06:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeoni View Post
    What gives any fan of a sports team any right to flame another team?
    Well for starters I'd say championships. I can understand, for example, when a Red Wings fan or Devils fan makes fun of the Leafs for not having won a cup since 1967 (or any other team that's won it in the last 20 years) without feeling that the person is either being hypocritical or blind about their own team. I can also understand a Patriots or Giants fan laughing about a team like the Jets right about now, because their teams have actually been successful enough to win it all recently.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Really? Championships do? Other peoples work validate talking shit about a sports team that neither fan plays for or have ever played for? I don't get it. I don't care personally if someone tries to shut me down when I, for example, say something about their sports team and they're like L0L0L CGY FLAMES FAN LOL! -edit- Sorry, I don't mean to look like I'm attacking you directly it's just something I've noticed in sports discussions everywhere. I've always just laughed at it but I am curious to the mindset to why someones opinion is somewhat lesser because of the team he cheers for.

@ the guy with the fantasy question - it's the same as the NHL. Most leagues are drafting this Saturday that I've seen.
    Last edited by Zeoni; 2013-01-07 at 08:07 AM.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Greeney View Post
    Alright. The Leafs haven't won the Stanley Cup since 1992, Ottawa hasn't won the Cup since 1992. What could anyone say that makes Ottawa not suck? They went to the Stanley Cup finals, got blown out by Anaheim (outside of winning a fluke game) and scored the Stanley Cup game winning goal on themselves? Sure does give the Sens a lot to be proud about.

Also, just to dig a bit deeper, how many times did the Senators beat the Leafs in the post season since they became a team in 1992? Yeah, I still feel that Senator and Canuck (because it'll happen) fans really have no more of a right to flame us than Bluejackets fans.
    The Leafs have NEVER lost to Ottawa in the playoffs since they moved over to the Eastern Conference in 1998-1999. Beat Ottawa 4-2 in the 1st round in 2000, 4-0 in the 1st round in 2001, won 4-3 in the 2nd round in 2002, won in the 1st round in 2004. The only time the Senators have beaten the Leafs in a playoff game was way back in 1921 when they were the St Patrick's. I dislike Sens fans because they are a bunch of blind stupid windbags who like to try and toot their own horn and rip on the fact that the Leafs haven't won a Cup since 67, considering the only people who would remember the Sens winning a Cup are all in seniors homes or dead, that's an amusing bit of irony. Since Ottawa lost in the finals to Anaheim, they have only made it back to the playoffs once as well, so that isn't saying much about the quality of the team.

---------- Post added 2013-01-07 at 05:57 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Zeoni View Post
    What gives any fan of a sports team any right to flame another team? Why should anyone care what team a certain person cheers for when they make fun of a different persons favourite team? Most people cheer for the city/area which they live or were born, naturally. Just because someone was born in Columbus it shoulden't mean they can't make fun of anyone else's team. This is the same with any other sport and it makes me laugh, personally. People shit on Browns fans just because they like Cleveland. You live somewhere, great. There happens to be a really good sports team there, great. Doesn't give you or anyone elseany sort of higher ranking as a fan just because of that.
    It's called being fanboys, and it's been happening in sports since the dawn of time. People have a natural dislike for other teams or rivals, that's just the way it goes. And in hockey rivalries are deeper then in soccer or football.

Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    The Leafs have NEVER lost to Ottawa in the playoffs since they moved over to the Eastern Conference in 1998-1999. Beat Ottawa 4-2 in the 1st round in 2000, 4-0 in the 1st round in 2001, won 4-3 in the 2nd round in 2002, won in the 1st round in 2004. The only time the Senators have beaten the Leafs in a playoff game was way back in 1921 when they were the St Patrick's. I dislike Sens fans because they are a bunch of blind stupid windbags who like to try and toot their own horn and rip on the fact that the Leafs haven't won a Cup since 67, considering the only people who would remember the Sens winning a Cup are all in seniors homes or dead, that's an amusing bit of irony. Since Ottawa lost in the finals to Anaheim, they have only made it back to the playoffs once as well, so that isn't saying much about the quality of the team.

---------- Post added 2013-01-07 at 05:57 AM ----------

It's called being fanboys, and it's been happening in sports since the dawn of time. People have a natural dislike for other teams or rivals, that's just the way it goes. And in hockey rivalries are deeper then in soccer or football.
    So Toronto's last cup was 67, my mother graduated in 69, she's now 62. Toronto aint that far from the same situation you just described.

While hockey certainly does have some rivalries ( and I know nothing about soccer), college football has some that are just as deep if not deeper. Auburn - Alabama, Florida - Georgia, Florida - Florida St., South Carolina - Clemson, Texas - Texas A&M, and thats just getting started.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    How Pavel Datsyuk ended his stay in the KHL:
    Oderint dum metuat.
    Success is dependent on effort.

15+ Year Old Account
    oh so Patrick cane scored a goal on cory schneider.

shit dude, my SISTER could score on Schneider and she can't even skate...

so...Pavs or Hank getting the "C"?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by marcelos11 View Post
    oh so Patrick cane scored a goal on cory schneider.

shit dude, my SISTER could score on Schneider and she can't even skate...

so...Pavs or Hank getting the "C"?
    No need to be rude I don't know where you are getting that attitude from but it's really bad. I don't recall you being that aggressive a year ago...
    Cory Schneider-->KHL dude. I'd rather score a goal in the best hockey league than the 2th, I don't know about you..
    Oderint dum metuat.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivenda View Post
    No need to be rude I don't know where you are getting that attitude from but it's really bad. I don't recall you being that aggressive a year ago...
    Cory Schneider-->KHL dude. I'd rather score a goal in the best hockey league than the 2th, I don't know about you..
    i was giving you crap man, that said Schneider never looked all that great during his NHL time.

10+ Year Old Account
    i was giving you crap man, that said Schneider never looked all that great during his NHL time.
    Fair enough, I missunderstood you then. No player in Nucks looks great.. 2 girls no cup anyone?
    Oderint dum metuat.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivenda View Post
    I don't recall you being that aggressive a year ago...
    Then you don't remember Marc very well lol.

As for the Wings captain, I have to say Hank because Pav is done in two years. I honestly don't expect him to sign another contract in the NHL when his current one is up. I'd expect the Wings would go with the guy on a long term deal and who can also speak English lol.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    20-8-1 with a 1.96 GAA and .937 save %. I know he only played 29 full games with 4 relief performances but he is by far the best non starting goalie in the league. He could easily start for the majority of the teams in the NHL that aren't the Rangers, Kings, Canadiens (maybe), or Predators. Not saying he is better than all the goalies not on those teams but I really do believe he could take the starting job from pretty much anyone. The guy has been groomed to be a starter in the NHL and is probably going to be elite status within the next couple years. He's also only gotten better, this season will tell us a lot about Cory Schneider because it's all but done that Lou is out of Vancouver. Only played the 3 playoff games but he was an absolute wall and was actually able to stop Dustin Brown on a penalty shot when he was red hot. The goal that sent the Kings to the 2nd round was a perfect shot too. I despise the Canucks but it's obvious they have something really promising in net.

15+ Year Old Account
    Cup odds are up on Bovada. Some highlights:
    Penguins 8/1
    Rangers 17/2
    Canucks 9/1
    Kings 12/1
    Flyers 12/1
    Hawks 14/1
    Bruins/Wings/Blues 16/1
    Wild 18/1
    Sharks 20/1
    Leafs 25/1
    Islanders 66/1
    Jackets 100/1

I think the Hawks line is way too high considering they have no goalie. I'd totally play that Flyers line and the Bruins line. I think the Wings and Blues might be too high as well.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Cup odds are up on Bovada. Some highlights:
    Penguins 8/1
    Rangers 17/2
    Canucks 9/1
    Kings 12/1
    Flyers 12/1
    Hawks 14/1
    Bruins/Wings/Blues 16/1
    Wild 18/1
    Sharks 20/1
    Leafs 25/1
    Islanders 66/1
    Jackets 100/1

I think the Hawks line is way too high considering they have no goalie. I'd totally play that Flyers line and the Bruins line. I think the Wings and Blues might be too high as well.
    Crawford is good enough to win a cup, especially with that much talent defensively. He was not the reason they were eliminated by the Nucks and Yotes the past 2 years (although I believe it was game 3, the OT softy was very bad).
    Last edited by Stommped; 2013-01-07 at 09:39 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stommped View Post
    Crawford is good enough to win a cup, especially with that much talent defensively. He was not the reason they were eliminated by the Nucks and Yotes the past 2 years (although I believe it was game 3, the OT softie was very bad).
    When your team has open flirtations with bringing in Luongo in the offseason I'm not willing to bet on their goaltending strength lol

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Anyone have any predictions for this year? Saw a thread on the hockey reddit and was wondering what you guys think. Went something like:

2013 Stanley Cup Champions: San Jose Sharks
    2013 Stanley Cup Finals: San Jose Sharks 4 - New York Rangers 2
    2013 Bold Prediction: Minnesota Wild are a complete flop, Toronto Maple Leafs go to the conference finals with Roberto Luongo. Sharks winning the cup.
    2013 Hart Winner: Crosby
    2013 Vezina Winner: Roberto Luongo
    2013 Art Ross Winner: Crosby
    2013 Calder Cup Winner: Mikael Granlund or Justin Shultz

Other predictions: Oilers still too young, suffering from not having a bonafide #1 goalie. Wild don't even make the playoffs. Bryzgalov has a pretty good bounce back year but isn't good enough, Rangers dominate the East. San Jose shocks the world going in as the 6th seed defeating the Blackhawks in round 1 in 7 games, the Canucks in round 2 in 7 games and the Kings in the conferance Finals in 6.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    When your team has open flirtations with bringing in Luongo in the offseason I'm not willing to bet on their goaltending strength lol
    I didn't say it was their strength. The truth is any goalie can get hot in the playoffs and that's all it takes. The talent around the goaltender is where they are head and shoulders above most other teams in the league.

15+ Year Old Account
    Cup Champions: Rangers. Its about time right? I mean that team has too much talent. I can see them being an absolute nightmare in this shortened season
    West Champions: Despite literally just slamming them two posts ago, I'm thinking I might take Chicago here.
    Finals: Rangers 4, Hawks 1
    Hart: Crosby (I think he is legitimately going to go the fuck off this season. Like historically (era adjusted) good if it wasn't a shortened year)
    Vezina: Lundqvist
    Art Ross: Crosby
    Calder: Shultz

Bold predictions: Totally agree about the Wild flopping but they should be able to sneak into a playoff spot. St Louis does a 180 and falls back to earth. New Jersey won't even make the playoffs the year following making the Finals (is this bold?). Anaheim will blow up their team prior to the trade deadline including trading their goalie prospect who just carried the US to the gold. In the first year of the draft lottery, the 7th team will win the #1 overall pick and select Popeye Jones' way less weird looking son. San Jose trades Thornton as they realize they need to get younger and their window has closed. Calgary realizes the same thing and trades Iginla to a contender where he plays a significant role in getting them deep in the playoffs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stommped View Post
    I didn't say it was their strength. The truth is any goalie can get hot in the playoffs and that's all it takes.
    until they run into the much much better goalie who is also hot and they get stomped