Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by marcelos11 View Post
    so typical of a canucks game. the refs sit their and watch them commit dirty play after dirty play after dirty play. sigh. Detroit. god. i have NEVER been this nervous about Detroit making it into the playoffs in my life...
    21 years in a row Detroit has made the playoffs. What's that saying? All good things must come to an end. Honestly, Red Wings fans shouldn't be complaining if their team doesn't make the playoffs, they have had tons to cheer for over the last two decades.

---------- Post added 2013-04-21 at 10:10 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Raleik View Post
    Gratz to Leafs fans! It's nice to see them back in the thick of things! Now hopefully we can grab that two seed and let you guys knock off Montreal in the first round

Even with how poor the Bruins have been playing of late, Montreal seems to be doing everything in their power to let us take the division. Two points back, two games in hand. We better take care of business these last five games. Yesterday's game was actually one of the best games I've seen them play in a while. They finally showed some emotion on the ice and weren't just seemingly going through the motions. We played a tough nosed, hard hitting game. We also out skated them for the majority of the game. But, still couldn't finish. I think at one point we had 16 scoring chances to their 8 and the game was tied 1-1. Vokoun was fantastic, but still gotta put some of those away. We also spent way too much time in the penalty box and it finally caught up to us. PK hasn't been great lately, but with how good it's been all year, I can't see that continuing for too long. Just need to keep up the fast, physical play heading into the playoffs and I think we'll be alright at least until we face the Pens.

Also, being born at the end of '90, this year may very well be the first time in my lifetime the Wings don't make the playoffs...
    Boston has a pretty decent schedule to end the season despite 5 games between today and next Sunday. Playing Florida, Philadelphia, Tampa Bay, Washington and Ottawa.
    Montreal plays New Jersey, Winnipeg and Toronto, with how they have been playing of late and how the Leafs have played against them this year, I don't think they have a chance of winning the division. New Jersey has some new life now that Kovalcheque is back and Winnipeg isn't exactly a pushover team.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    21 years in a row Detroit has made the playoffs. What's that saying? All good things must come to an end. Honestly, Red Wings fans shouldn't be complaining if their team doesn't make the playoffs, they have had tons to cheer for over the last two decades.
    Of course they should complain. If they wouldn't could you call them fans at all? What would you expect, just some shrugs?

I'd love, however, if they would be able to complain without blaming the refs after every. single. defeat. they suffer.

Quote Originally Posted by marcelos11 View Post
    Detroit. god. i have NEVER been this nervous about Detroit making it into the playoffs in my life...
    I felt the same way 9 years ago with the Leafs, but I hope you guys can keep the streak going.

---------- Post added 2013-04-21 at 10:10 AM ----------

Boston has a pretty decent schedule to end the season despite 5 games between today and next Sunday. Playing Florida, Philadelphia, Tampa Bay, Washington and Ottawa.
    Montreal plays New Jersey, Winnipeg and Toronto, with how they have been playing of late and how the Leafs have played against them this year, I don't think they have a chance of winning the division. New Jersey has some new life now that Kovalcheque is back and Winnipeg isn't exactly a pushover team.

Montreal has the RoW advantage if Boston only ties them though. Still a small chance Leafs could take the division lead if Habs keep flopping and Bruins don't pick it up. Just praying we don't meet Boston in round 1. I'd rather Washington/Islanders play each other too with how hot they've both been recently.
    Last edited by Greeney; 2013-04-21 at 02:19 PM.

Only thing left for me is to hope for a miracle. Rangers needs to get max 1 point in their remaining games, while Devils needs to win their remaining ones. Not impossible, but oh boy... I don't doubt that we can win our remaining games if our scoring remains intact, since we've been outworking and outshooting our opponents in 9 out of our last 11 games, but Rangers losing to Panthers seems a bit of a stretch.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    New Jersey is seeing some new life now that Kovalcheque is back, gonna be a hard game for Boston on Tuesday, they could make a late push if they win 3 in a row. To be quite honest, I'd love to see New Jersey versus Pittsburgh in the first round, that would be a great match up and this could potentially be Brodeur's last season. I think Kipper is done after this season, I just don't think he has it in the tank to play another season or two and it's going to take a while for Calgary to get back to being a contender.

New Jersey is seeing some new life now that Kovalcheque is back, gonna be a hard game for Boston on Tuesday, they could make a late push if they win 3 in a row. To be quite honest, I'd love to see New Jersey versus Pittsburgh in the first round, that would be a great match up and this could potentially be Brodeur's last season. I think Kipper is done after this season, I just don't think he has it in the tank to play another season or two and it's going to take a while for Calgary to get back to being a contender.
    Brodeur is already set and signed for next season, and I doubt he's the kinda guy to retire with time left on his contract. His GA is at a career 5th best this year, so he still has it in him. Save percentage isn't the best, but our defense has been struggling this year. Like I said though, us making playoffs or not is largely gonna come down to Rangers being able to get 2 more points or not, which I doubt they'll fail doing

There is a 0.01% chance NJ can make the playoffs right now. :/
    Jets are the only real threat to the Rangers/Sens/Islanders/Capitals right now, but based on what I've seen of the Jets fans since they got a team back I don't really even want to see them make the playoffs.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think there is anyone in this thread that complains as much as you, so I find this a rather amusing statement

Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    I'll probably side with Anaheim. I do like me some Selanne. Will never cheer for another Canadian team but my own

If I can't have it, noone can!!
    I have never understood Canadian fans who (once their team is out of things for the season) hop on board another Canadian team's bandwagon. I'm like you - I will cheer for the fucking Bruins even though I can't stand them, before I ever cheer for another Canadian team. The sense of 'national' pride confuses me. If anything, if you're so pro-Canadian, should you not be cheering for the team with the most Canadian players on it instead of Vancouver or something?

I have friends who cheered for Ottawa to beat the Ducks a few years back.... these are the same people who swear they bleed blue and white and are diehard Leafs fans. Give me a break. If it means that Montreal can rub it in Toronto's face once more about their storied history with a new cup, do you think I'll cheer for them when Toronto's out? Not a chance.

I'll cheer for the Flames or Oilers if Leafs ever get eliminated and they're in it, but I much rather see a team like the Wings, Ducks, Devils, or Rangers win the cup than the Habs, Sens, Canucks or Jets lately.

I'm interested if the Devils will pull their goalie if the game is tied in the last 1.5 mins since an OT win guarantees they're out.
    Hmmm... May be wrong about that, looks like Devils have 1 more game remaining than I realized.
    Last edited by Greeney; 2013-04-21 at 07:22 PM.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Anassi View Post
    Of course they should complain. If they wouldn't could you call them fans at all? What would you expect, just some shrugs?

I'd love, however, if they would be able to complain without blaming the refs after every. single. defeat. they suffer.
    I am not saying Wings fans shouldn't complain about missing the playoffs, but if they do miss out this year, they should look back and say 'Hey, we had a damn good run, we have little to complain about and a lot to be proud of'.

But hey, maybe I am wrong but no teams fans has a right to whine about missing the playoffs, seems too much like entitlement to me. Detroit hasn't exactly had a stellar season so I am curious as to know why any honest fan would want to see their team eliminated from the playoffs early over getting a decent pick.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Greeney View Post
    I'll cheer for the Flames or Oilers if Leafs ever get eliminated and they're in it, but I much rather see a team like the Wings, Ducks, Devils, or Rangers win the cup than the Habs, Sens, Canucks or Jets lately.

I'm interested if the Devils will pull their goalie if the game is tied in the last 1.5 mins since an OT win guarantees they're out.
    Hmmm... May be wrong about that, looks like Devils have 1 more game remaining than I realized.
    Gross, you would really rather see the Wings win the cup over the Hawks/Jackets/Sharks/Islanders/Caps?

Quote Originally Posted by Stommped View Post
    Gross, you would really rather see the Wings win the cup over the Hawks/Jackets/Sharks/Islanders/Caps?
    I'd rather see the Hawks/Jackets/Sharks/Islanders/Caps win the cup over the Canucks/Jets/Sens/Habs.
    Don't really have anything against any of those teams, but yeah, I like the Wings more than them. Can see that changing in the next 2-4 years when we become divisional rivals again though.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    More Datsyuk is never a bad thing. At this point, I don't really care who wins or who is in the finals all that I care about is how entertaining it is. I absolutely love the playoffs because everyone gives everything they have. In a shortened season, I'd assume they have more in the tank than usual. Personally, I'm rooting for the Leafs and Iginla from the East; West-wise I'm cheering for Chicago to lose (fuck that roster, how can you not destroy everyone with a team that good?) and maybe the Sharks to win. inb4 lolsharkschokeectect

Quote Originally Posted by VanillaO View Post
    I have never understood Canadian fans who (once their team is out of things for the season) hop on board another Canadian team's bandwagon. I'm like you - I will cheer for the fucking Bruins even though I can't stand them, before I ever cheer for another Canadian team. The sense of 'national' pride confuses me. If anything, if you're so pro-Canadian, should you not be cheering for the team with the most Canadian players on it instead of Vancouver or something?
    The Cup coming to any Canadian team is a good thing for Canadian fans. We have so few decent teams, and our chances of winning the Stanley Cup in any of them are slim to none. I'd be equally (well, almost) as happy if Winnipeg or Edmonton won as I would if Vancouver did, since that would give more league exposure to Canada and possibly up our chances of getting a team moved here instead of Bumblefuck, Ohio.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by VanillaO View Post

I have friends who cheered for Ottawa to beat the Ducks a few years back.... these are the same people who swear they bleed blue and white and are diehard Leafs fans. Give me a break. If it means that Montreal can rub it in Toronto's face once more about their storied history with a new cup, do you think I'll cheer for them when Toronto's out? Not a chance.
    If it's a rival team, I won't cheer for them. Being a Leafs fan, I will not cheer for teams like Montreal or Ottawa. I prefer Original 6 teams over some of the new franchises because at least their fans give a shit. And there is no way in hell I would ever bandwagon Pittsburgh for any reason.

15+ Year Old Account
    If it's a rival team, I won't cheer for them. Being a Leafs fan, I will not cheer for teams like Montreal or Ottawa. I prefer Original 6 teams over some of the new franchises because at least their fans give a shit. And there is no way in hell I would ever bandwagon Pittsburgh for any reason.
    they have enough of those as is.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Flames picked the wrong time to start actually playing hockey this season.

Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    I'll probably side with Anaheim. I do like me some Selanne. Will never cheer for another Canadian team but my own

If I can't have it, noone can!!
    Oh good lord no, Anaheim is worse than Vancouver is when it comes to that stuff. I liked Selanne til he fell into the same crying and whining that Perry ad Getzlaf do. Not to mention, if you think Kesler is bad, Anaheim is an entire team like that. Hell even their GM is a whiny ass.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Oh god, just passed Edmonton in the standings now. 7th overall pick right now pending lotto changes, still looking at a Lindholm pick most likely unless we win the lottery. I'd like to see us end up with Barkov or Mackinnon if possible though. Anyways, you guys got any predictions on trophy winners?

Hart: Even though he'll end up missing 12 games of the season, you have to assume they'll give it to Crosby. My personal pick is Toews, plays big time minutes and holds a massive +27. Bobrovski makes a strong bid because without him, the Blue Jackets are a bottom feeder team. I feel like Toews doesn't get much recognition for how good he is and how good he makes Chicago. Without him in the lineup, I doubt they have a season like this.

Lady Bing: No idea, give it to Datsyuk or St Louis like usual.

Vezina: Bobrovski for sure. Single handedly bringing the Jackets to the playoffs. Nabokov and Niemi have been amazing too but not quite at the level of Bob especially considering his team. Anderson would have ran away with this if he had not been injured and Crawford didn't play enough games imo to be considered.

Calder: Huberdeau or Gallagher, woulden't be upset with either of these picks. Conacher deserves an honorable mention too.

Art Ross: St Louis or Stampkos will pass Crosby by the end of the season.

Norris: Subban is my personal choice. Letang is giving him a run for his money but I woulden't be mad with either pick. Both play huge minutes and have good +/- despite playing against the best players every shift. Suter is a close 3rd.

Masterson: Lupul no question. Injured in and out of the lineup but still has been dynamite for the Leafs.

Jack Adams: I feel like Paul MacLean got snubbed last year but I don't see how they CAN'T give it to him this year. Playing with an AHL-esque squad for most of the year and still maintaining a playoff spot. That being said, I think they'll give it to Quenneville, it's hard to deny the Hawks dominance this season. The giant point streak they started off with + how they have kept running with it. Only 5 regulation losses so far is quite impressive. They have an incredible roster though, I think MacLean deserves it for the job he's done with a weak team missing it's 3 best parts.

Selke: Datsyuk this year. It's usually between him and Bergeron with a 3rd guy in the mix.
    Last edited by Zeoni; 2013-04-22 at 01:11 AM.