Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    Kovalchuk retires lol. Enjoy that retirement salary cap penalty NJ until, what is it, 2024?
    Is there actually a penalty for a player retiring? I thought the team just didnt have to pay him anything (its not a medical retirement afaik) and thus the cap hit was 0? And if there is a penalty...how much it it. Him leaving clear 6.66M off the cap.

Quote Originally Posted by phenix View Post
    Is there actually a penalty for a player retiring? I thought the team just didnt have to pay him anything (its not a medical retirement afaik) and thus the cap hit was 0? And if there is a penalty...how much it it. Him leaving clear 6.66M off the cap.
    This is what I was able to find on it.

CAP ADVANTAGE RECAPTURE (Roberto Luongo Rule)

Teams receiving a “cap advantage” from long-term contracts — defined as seven years or more for contracts signed prior to the January 2013 CBA — will be penalized in the event the player retires or “defects” from the NHL before the contract expires. A team receives a “cap advantage” when the player’s actual salary exceeds his cap hit in a given year.

Following retirement/defection, the “advantage” will be “recaptured” and charged against the club’s cap in equal amounts each year until the contract expires. This penalty applies to any team that received a cap advantage from the contract — ie. a traded contract — except in the event that the trade occurred prior to the new CBA coming into place in January 2013.

[ Edit: June 2, 2013 ] Teams do not receive a credit for net negative cap benefit (where cap hit exceeds salary over the course of the contract prior to retirement). However, in calculating net “cap advantage,” teams do receive a credit for seasons in which cap hit exceeds salary.

I'm not sure exactly what the numbers will work out to be, but they will face some sort of cap penalty until the contract reaches term.

And wtf about him retiring... Guess he really was serious during the lockout about wanting to stay in the KHL. My guess is we'll see him signing with a KHL team in a few months. This is more a defection than a retirement, he's still gonna end up playing the sport.

Quote Originally Posted by phenix View Post
    New CBA has a rule regarding contracts greater than 6 years in length and under 35. I don't think it's the full amount and cannot find what the actual amount would be. Not to mention the Devils got penalized for their $100M deal, losing their first round pick in 2014.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

10+ Year Old Account
    I am so so so so glad the Kings dropped out of that contract chase and avoided the whole circus, it felt real good to knock them off in the finals and now this, and as for the contract that stuff is complicated and I don't know how it will all play out in the end but at the very least, since the value is evenly distributed in terms of cap hit, he has counted for $20 mil against the cap but been paid $23 mil, so there's got to be at least $3 mil on the cap still.

10+ Year Old Account
    Cap hit according to CapGeek is 250K a year until 2024-2025.

Quote Originally Posted by Reg View Post
    Ah ok well that's not too bad then.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    First Parise...now Kovy... and Marty will be soon. Must be rough...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stommped View Post
    First Parise...now Kovy... and Marty will be soon. Must be rough...
    Add in the Devils' financial woes, no first round draft pick, and no real other offensive talent and you have a team in complete shambles.

Don't mind me. I'm just excited as a Rangers fan and a hater of all things New Jersey lol

Retiring next year would have cost them 750k per year so...guess he's a team player through and through?

Actually, I'm betting Lou had a word with him.

250k is what I found as well.

Ya saw this on TSN

NHL Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly told TSN Radio 1050 on Thursday afternoon that the 'cap advantage' of Kovalchuk's contract was roughly $4 million over the first three years of his contract (as his first two years were significantly below his average annual salary). Daly added that the Devils will have to pay it back in cap charges over the remaining 12 years of the contract (roughly $300,000 a year).

They had 4million cap space, now add another 6.3$ M. Thats a crap ton. Wonder if they have anything in the minors to trade for a major player.

edit: well hockeyfuture rates NJ prospects (as a group) as 28/30. So close to the worst. Thats reduces the trade thing unless someone needs to dump salary.
    Last edited by phenix; 2013-07-11 at 09:04 PM.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    That's such a shitty thing to do to a team that has committed so much money to you. They clearly are trying to go out and get younger / better with the Schneider trade. I feel bad for them, Parise last season, Kovalchuk this season, Marty next season?

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    NHL 14 is going to include an NHL 94 mode. Best game ever.
    True story, I have the original NHL licensed game for the Sega Genesis, back when EA made great games and weren't the egotistical steaming piles of shit they are now. Too bad my cartridge isn't working properly.

Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    True story, I have the original NHL licensed game for the Sega Genesis, back when EA made great games and weren't the egotistical steaming piles of shit they are now. Too bad my cartridge isn't working properly.
    haha same with the bluish logo and all that, that game was great. I miss the ones EA used to make for computer as well i think the last one was 2006 or so. Was awesome in the mid 90s computer NHL games by EA you could put the same guy on every line and get him like 290 points in a season.

also I bet Kovalchuk signs with St Petersburg within the month. He put up +26 in the KHL and was always -double digits in the NHL, I think he likes the lesser competition. or else St pete is a stacked team in a crappy league, hard to say I dont watch it much.

2009 is availible for PC, but it's an atrociously horrible piece of junky PS2-port.

NHL '95 and the 93-94 season in general were both the "first" for me, and what's always be the special season for me.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    EA Sports, well the EA Sports branch that makes the NHL game is still fantastic and not a crap pile of corporate greed. I have NHL 93 around somewhere. I grew up playing that so much. I'm glad that the EA NHL franchise is still pretty damn spectacular 20 years later.

Saw the news about Kovy retiring when I logged on here. What the hell? I assumed it was a joke for a second. Who retires in their "prime" and completely dicks over a franchise like that? Who does that, but waits until AFTER free agency begins and the Devils lose all chance to chase any significant players (not that they didn't sign NHL superstar Clowe).

OH WAIT! Kovy left because the KHL is going to pay him around $20 million per season. Ya fuck New Jersey.
    Last edited by conscript; 2013-07-11 at 10:26 PM.

They get a lot of flak for the updates and lack-thereof in the NHL-franchise games (at least), but I mean, is there really a lot they can do about that? Hockey doesn't change fundamentally on a year-to-year basis.

That said, I am really annoyed that they are snubbing PC.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    They get a lot of flak for the updates and lack-thereof in the NHL-franchise games (at least), but I mean, is there really a lot they can do about that? Hockey doesn't change fundamentally on a year-to-year basis.

That said, I am really annoyed that they are snubbing PC.
    The PC I'll give you. It can't be that hard to port that stuff to PC. They have done a whole lot of technology upgrades over the last 5-6 years though. A hell of a lot more than Madden, NBA (which doesn't exist), or MLB (which doesn't exist since Sony's MLB the Show game dominates the market so hard). FIFA is good though. I don't even know what they could add to the NHL game anymore. They already massively updated stick control the last three years all the way to the new one touch system in 14. Physics are remarkably better now. They have about all the modes they could have. Glow puck mode?

I wonder how happy the Devils were that Kovy left. The cap hit is negligible (grats CBA on doing jack shit apparently). They save like $80 million. Pretty great for a franchise that owes MORE THAN ITS FREAKING WORTH. The Devils are around $300 million in debt. These just stinks of Lou whispering in Kovy's ear to go home. That guy is evil shrewd.
    Last edited by conscript; 2013-07-11 at 10:33 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    so capgeek updated it then? makes sense, the remaining $3 million spread out over the remaining 12 years of the contract

I got my copy of NHL '94 way back when, and '95 too, one of them included the EA 4-player port for Genesis, used that thing lots, bomberman party!

Quote Originally Posted by VanillaO View Post
    Horton and Gaborik better than Nash? I would argue Gaborik is probably a bit better, but around the same level. Horton is good, but not Nash good. Don't forget Nash routinely put up 60 point seasons playing on a line with guys who were nowhere nears as good as Krejci/Lucic. It's easy to look good with decent or good players on the ice with you. It's not so easy when you're putting your team on your back year after year.
    You misunderstood what I was trying to say. I'd say Nash is better individually than either of them but a margin, but I rather have both Gaborik and Horton than Nash.