15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Asera View Post
    I for one am very worried of the Pens getting eliminated... as i will lose 6 guys on my playoff pool at work...
    Pitt went 2-4 against Philly in the season series including getting RAILED in pittsburgh and you took 6 players on your pool? yikes...

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by marcelos11 View Post
    Pitt went 2-4 against Philly in the season series including getting RAILED in pittsburgh and you took 6 players on your pool? yikes...
    Talk about a major derp.

The Rangers vs Sens game tonight should be interesting, though if New York plays the same kind of game they did for most of game 1, through the entire series, Ottawa is done.

10+ Year Old Account
    Being behind 2 games is by no means insurmountable (just ask Boston about last year :|) but the key is the Canucks power play. We spent most of the season at #1 on the PP, then dropped to 4 over the last month or so, and are currently -2/12 in the playoffs. On the bright side, LA has only scored 2 5v5 goals so far (not including the empty netter) so all the Canucks have to do is avoid the penalty box, and try to make sure LA doesn't go the penalty box either.

Yeap. I think I'm finally starting to fall over into the keep Schneider over Luongo camp. Luongo's been good, but for the future outlook of the team, Schneider is much, much more important to us. Luongo is still a top tier goalie, I think he needs a lighter environment. He isn't going to get that here.

Series is still winnable, they just need to get their head out of their asses and get Daniel back. I don't understand how not having Daniel is a 'non-factor'. He's one of the best LWs in the game and our first line offense looks lost without him.
    I remember it all too well

Quote Originally Posted by Zoma View Post
    Being behind 2 games is by no means insurmountable (just ask Boston about last year :|) but the key is the Canucks power play. We spent most of the season at #1 on the PP, then dropped to 4 over the last month or so, and are currently -2/12 in the playoffs. On the bright side, LA has only scored 2 5v5 goals so far (not including the empty netter) so all the Canucks have to do is avoid the penalty box, and try to make sure LA doesn't go the penalty box either.
    Vancouver will come out flying next game. It's going to be a tough game for L.A., but if L.A. goes up 3-0 it's over. Somethings very wrong when you give up 2 SHG's in one game though, never even mind a playoff game.

Quote Originally Posted by Xevan
    Series is still winnable, they just need to get their head out of their asses and get Daniel back. I don't understand how not having Daniel is a 'non-factor'. He's one of the best LWs in the game and our first line offense looks lost without him.
    I'll give you that; it's not nearly as ridiculous as when the Habs fan said some player on their team who was injured would have helped them beat Boston at least.

Daniel has been ruled out for the first round.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcelos11
    If you judge things by the season series, you'll have a lot of underdogs. If Malkin can pick up his game (no goals and a -5 right now, the worst in the league in that category along with Kunitz, my God) the Penguins will be right back in it.
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...1#post16321818

There have been a lot of upsets so far, early in the first round, and most of the ones that weren't (outside of NY game 1) were very close to being upsets. Exempting the Phoenix/Chicago and Detroit/Nashville as I wouldn't say anyone could claim either team winning would be an upset.
    Last edited by Greeney; 2012-04-14 at 07:35 PM.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xevan View Post
    Yeap. I think I'm finally starting to fall over into the keep Schneider over Luongo camp. Luongo's been good, but for the future outlook of the team, Schneider is much, much more important to us. Luongo is still a top tier goalie, I think he needs a lighter environment. He isn't going to get that here.

How are the Canucks going to get rid of that horrendous contract though? It's still astronomically high for a goalie for the next few years until it goes down as he gets closer to the expiration. Maybe if the duration wasn't until Luongo turns 41 nor the cap hit so high for the next few seasons, you could get him traded to a young team that is in need of an experienced goalie while they developed a starter, but considering those factors are in play, very few teams are going to take him unless they are getting something else alongside that salary burden, and Vancouver doesn't have a lot to offer in the ways of prospects or useful picks to toss away with it. Not like you could trade him to one of the weaker Canadian markets right now, it would be just as much of a shit show. Maybe Columbus, since no one seems to care about that team and they have the space, but as a rebuilding franchise they aren't going to give up picks for him either.

And yes, not having your best left winger hurts your offense, look at the Leafs without Lupul the last month of the season, but Kessel still managed to find a way to score like 9 goals without him. As a team you have to find a way to score without your best players, it's just the way the game goes.
    Last edited by Rennadrel; 2012-04-14 at 08:13 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Greeney View Post
    Schneider is going to get offer sheeted.
    Well, I wouldn't count on it.
    1) There is an impending lockout coming up that could hamper offer sheets, and frankly could cancel the entirety or part of next year which isn't getting nearly the coverage it should. The NHL and NHLPA are going to have a LOT of changes to make and they are going to be big. It is going to be real, real similar to 04 this summer. They need to address cap circumvention in a big way. They need to address contract inflation. They need to address their revenue sharing to try and stem the flow of losses from the failing teams. They still have the Yotes to deal with. They will likely have expansion talks (remarkably stupid) and get those plans started for Quebec, Seattle, Kansas City, Ontario, etc. They have the amnesty rule to discuss, which is coming to the NHL almost certainly and will be championed like hell by the NBA cross over owners. Not to mention all the other smaller issues.

2) The GMs NEVER offer sheet anyone. They are so incompetent it is comical at this point. Colorado's GM gave Washington a top 10 pick for free in this draft because he was too stupid to offer sheet. Toronto sat on their hands and didn't offer sheet a once in a generation guy they absolutely needed in Stamkos. No one offer sheeted Doughty, a legit top line NHL defenseman. The GMs are mostly idiots who for some reason refuse to use one of their most powerful abilities in the offseason. Look at the NBA, they use it all the time and usually just to fuck the other team. Golden State offer sheeted Deandre Jordan of the Clippers this offseason who then agreed to pay the offer sheet contract rather than lose him which caused some serious luxury tax costs. The offer sheet power allows you to either get a legit super star for some draft picks or to severely weaken your opposition. If Toronto offer sheets Stamkos at $9-10 million per year they could have either landed a major star or completely fucked over the cap situation for Tampa making them move additional guys if they wanted to keep Stamkos. They didn't and Toronto once again lacked a big time NHL scorer for the roughly 90th year in a row.

3) I honestly think Vancouver trades Luongo at the draft, signs Schneider long term, and is better for it. Teams that need Lou:
    Washington- They have no significant money tied up in goalies next year when Vokoun leaves. Semin is leaving which gives them about $19 million, before cap changes, in free space without many holes to fill. They absolutely need a legit #1 goaltender.
    Toronto- They have $1.8 tied up in Reimer next year, nothing else. They have almost no other contracts to address this offseason with 7+ million in space. They are a goalie away from being a playoff team, not a contender sure, but a playoff team.
    Edmonton-They need help on defense and in the net big time. If they are thinking about trading down instead of drafting Nail, they could swing a three team deal. Edmonton trades their #1 pick for the #4 and a second rounder, then they trade that 2nd rounder to Vancouver for Lou.
    Columbus- Good lord do they need a goalie and another star player. They have space. They have assets to move. Trade Lou for the last year of Mason's contract at $2.9 million.
    Islanders- Oh the irony of this trade. This assumes that the owners put in the amnesty clause the NBA just put in this season and the Isles amnesty the hell out of DiPietro so fast it won't be funny. Like seriously, as soon as the CBA is in ink the Islanders will call Dipietro and say, ya gravy train over. Here is your last year of pay since no one is going to pick up any of it. Good luck in the KHL.

Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    Well, I wouldn't count on it.
    1) There is an impending lockout coming up that could hamper offer sheets, and frankly could cancel the entirety or part of next year which isn't getting nearly the coverage it should. The NHL and NHLPA are going to have a LOT of changes to make and they are going to be big. It is going to be real, real similar to 04 this summer. They need to address cap circumvention in a big way. They need to address contract inflation. They need to address their revenue sharing to try and stem the flow of losses from the failing teams. They still have the Yotes to deal with. They will likely have expansion talks (remarkably stupid) and get those plans started for Quebec, Seattle, Kansas City, Ontario, etc. They have the amnesty rule to discuss, which is coming to the NHL almost certainly and will be championed like hell by the NBA cross over owners. Not to mention all the other smaller issues.

2) The GMs NEVER offer sheet anyone. They are so incompetent it is comical at this point. Colorado's GM gave Washington a top 10 pick for free in this draft because he was too stupid to offer sheet. Toronto sat on their hands and didn't offer sheet a once in a generation guy they absolutely needed in Stamkos. No one offer sheeted Doughty, a legit top line NHL defenseman. The GMs are mostly idiots who for some reason refuse to use one of their most powerful abilities in the offseason. Look at the NBA, they use it all the time and usually just to fuck the other team. Golden State offer sheeted Deandre Jordan of the Clippers this offseason who then agreed to pay the offer sheet contract rather than lose him which caused some serious luxury tax costs. The offer sheet power allows you to either get a legit super star for some draft picks or to severely weaken your opposition. If Toronto offer sheets Stamkos at $9-10 million per year they could have either landed a major star or completely fucked over the cap situation for Tampa making them move additional guys if they wanted to keep Stamkos. They didn't and Toronto once again lacked a big time NHL scorer for the roughly 90th year in a row.

3) I honestly think Vancouver trades Luongo at the draft, signs Schneider long term, and is better for it. Teams that need Lou:
    Washington- They have no significant money tied up in goalies next year when Vokoun leaves. Semin is leaving which gives them about $19 million, before cap changes, in free space without many holes to fill. They absolutely need a legit #1 goaltender.
    Toronto- They have $1.8 tied up in Reimer next year, nothing else. They have almost no other contracts to address this offseason with 7+ million in space. They are a goalie away from being a playoff team, not a contender sure, but a playoff team.
    Edmonton-They need help on defense and in the net big time. If they are thinking about trading down instead of drafting Nail, they could swing a three team deal. Edmonton trades their #1 pick for the #4 and a second rounder, then they trade that 2nd rounder to Vancouver for Lou.
    Columbus- Good lord do they need a goalie and another star player. They have space. They have assets to move. Trade Lou for the last year of Mason's contract at $2.9 million.
    Islanders- Oh the irony of this trade. This assumes that the owners put in the amnesty clause the NBA just put in this season and the Isles amnesty the hell out of DiPietro so fast it won't be funny. Like seriously, as soon as the CBA is in ink the Islanders will call Dipietro and say, ya gravy train over. Here is your last year of pay since no one is going to pick up any of it. Good luck in the KHL.
    Lockout could fuck with it, but the team that I see giving the offer sheet team will already have Stamkos on it and has a GM who is one of the best NHL players of all time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Out of all of those teams, I think CBJ will be the ones to do it. I also see their dipshit GM trading their first round pick for him.
    You can tell WoW changed the MMO for good when players started complaining about the amount of time they sink, into a time sink.

15+ Year Old Account
    Lockout could fuck with it, but the team that I see giving the offer sheet team will already have Stamkos on it and has a GM who is one of the best NHL players of all time.
    Tampa Bay has absolutely no money to do it. That is why they aren't #1 on my list. If the owners put in the amnesty and they get rid of Lecalvier they could pull it off, but I don't think they will get rid of him regardless of how insane that contract is.

---------- Post added 2012-04-14 at 05:36 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Irony View Post
    Out of all of those teams, I think CBJ will be the ones to do it. I also see their dipshit GM trading their first round pick for him.
    If you are Vancouver how quick do you make that trade lol? Do you offer to rent the Uhaul for Luongo and the owner will drive it to Columbus for him?

How many people have been offer sheeted over the last seasons? The only one I remember, is Hjalmarsson after Blackhawk's cup.

10+ Year Old Account
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...d_offer_sheets
    I remember that Vanek one, poor Buffalo.... Vanek didn't even want that much.
    You can tell WoW changed the MMO for good when players started complaining about the amount of time they sink, into a time sink.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Irony View Post
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...d_offer_sheets
    I remember that Vanek one, poor Buffalo.... Vanek didn't even want that much.
    Excuse me for a sec...

ROFL! There have been six since the lockout? SIX?!

---------- Post added 2012-04-14 at 05:59 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    How many people have been offer sheeted over the last seasons? The only one I remember, is Hjalmarsson after Blackhawk's cup.
    The Hjalmarsson one is exactly how teams should use that every single season. It forced Chicago to give up Niemi who the Sharks immediately snapped up and the Hawks have never been the same between the pipes.

---------- Post added 2012-04-14 at 06:24 PM ----------

This game is never going to end.

Caps Bruins game has been great to watch so far.

Double OT starting soon.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wow caps win.

Bäckis double OT winner o/

Very good forechecking. Double Swe.

15+ Year Old Account
    Finally over. I put it on mute and started watching the new Jim Gaffigan special again. So much more entertaining than that game.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Came up here to check what you guys had to say during commercial break, literally as I walk into the room with the TV - Backstrom scores. Good to see him actually doing something. Vancouver isn't getting rid of Luongo, there's no way. Contract is way too long for anyone to want it. He's a top tier goalie still, but 12 years is too much imo. Schneider isn't going to sit in his shadow either, I'm expecting Vancouver to try and land some sort of deal for draft picks. Dustin Penner and Mike Fischer both got traded for first round picks. I say Schneider brings in at least a first rounder and a player, or a first and second round pick. Maybe more considering he has the potential to be a franchise goalie. A team like Edmonton could flash their first overall pick for him as well, would not a bad move. It's either that, take Yakupov first overall (which they are going to run into problems with down the line, resigning all those future stars), or take one of the defensemen first overall. I think first overall is enough on it's own but maybe throw in Dubnyk.

Canuck's fucked up when they didn't learn from Islanders terrible long term goalie signing. Luongo is a great goalie and I think they've committed way too much to have him sit on the bench. Cory Schneider is a good goalie as well but has he really proven himself? He has 5 playoff games and according to Wikipedia 0 wins and 0 losses, so it looks like he hasn't even played a full playoff game in the NHL. Playoffs are way different than the regular season, mistakes are magnified. Saw the interview with Vigneault, said he knows whose starting and has already made up his mind. Guy is impossible to read unless hes angry, so who knows what happens in game 3.

Anyone surprised to see Ottawa pulling that pathetic shit? I'm not.
    More fail reffing. No reason Dubinsky should be thrown out.
    Last edited by Greeney; 2012-04-14 at 11:24 PM.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Anyone surprised to see Ottawa pulling that pathetic shit? I'm not.
    More fail reffing. No reason Dubinsky should be thrown out.
    Smart move if you are Carkner, or the Senators in general. Lose your tough guy and get rid of a top tier player like Dubinsky for the rest of the game at least. And they are killing off a tough penalty as well. As much as I despise the Sens, it was smart of their coach to put Carkner in to stir shit up in the pot and give their team some energy.