15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    Toronto- $81.9 million operating income
    You think with that kind of revenue the team wouldn't be ass year after year. That's what happens when your fans buy up 900$ seats win or lose.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzzie View Post
    You think with that kind of revenue the team wouldn't be ass year after year. That's what happens when your fans buy up 900$ seats win or lose.
    This is also what happens when you have a salary cap.

Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    This is also what happens when you have a salary cap.
    They weren't that good before the salary cap either. The NFL has proven that the salary cap, if done correctly, is good for the league as a whole. Due to having good coaches and GM's you can still have teams that are good year in and year out, but in general the same teams are never on top for long, and tbh I like it when it comes down to being good at building a team. Its one of the reasons I quit watching MLB, for the most part its just a matter of who is willing to throw the most money at it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Armourboy View Post
    if done correctly
    that is such a big "if" the league has blown up because of it and we might lose another year

Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    that is such a big "if" the league has blown up because of it and we might lose another year
    The lockout didn't happen because of the salary cap, the lockout happened because the league built a crappy system and the Owners/Agents/Players spent the last 4-5 years circumventing it. The NFL has work stoppages because they are fighting over who gets the bigger piece, the NHL has work stoppages because they are fighting over the pie, and trying to fix the damn oven they broke making it.

10+ Year Old Account
    The lockout didn't happen because of the salary cap, the lockout happened because the league built a crappy system and the Owners/Agents/Players spent the last 4-5 years circumventing it. The NFL has work stoppages because they are fighting over who gets the bigger piece, the NHL has work stoppages because they are fighting over the pie, and trying to fix the damn oven they broke making it.
    because they didn't do it correctly...

why should I have faith in them now? they're obviously idiots

15+ Year Old Account
    So mediation did exactly jack shit. I really don't see any route to having a season at all at this point. A couple more weeks and we are going to start looking at less than half a season of games which doesn't seem like an option they would even consider. But there are about two more months until that final death line so who the hell knows lol.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    They weren't that good before the salary cap either. The NFL has proven that the salary cap, if done correctly, is good for the league as a whole. Due to having good coaches and GM's you can still have teams that are good year in and year out, but in general the same teams are never on top for long, and tbh I like it when it comes down to being good at building a team. Its one of the reasons I quit watching MLB, for the most part its just a matter of who is willing to throw the most money at it.
    Depends on what you consider "good", they iced a pretty good team for much of the 90's. It wasn't until JFJ took over that things went south real fast.

---------- Post added 2012-11-30 at 08:24 PM ----------

So mediation did exactly jack shit. I really don't see any route to having a season at all at this point. A couple more weeks and we are going to start looking at less than half a season of games which doesn't seem like an option they would even consider. But there are about two more months until that final death line so who the hell knows lol.
    It's irrelevant, the damage has already been done, the fans are pissed off and I think at this point the union will wind up intentionally collapsing itself just to slap the owners in the face. Mediation does nothing when you have two sides with two equally different opinions on how shit should go down, and unfortunately at this point it's the guys with the money sitting behind their desks who aren't going to bend at all. It's fine though, I hope the season is cancelled, and the one after it, just so we can hear of how that giant ass waste of space in Glendale, Arizona sits there and collects dust empty for half of the next two fucking years while the city council continues to bitch and moan about not getting rent payments because whatever welfare owner that winds up buying the team but can't actually afford to operate it.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    It's fine though, I hope the season is cancelled, and the one after it, just so we can hear of how that giant ass waste of space in Glendale, Arizona sits there and collects dust empty for half of the next two fucking years while the city council continues to bitch and moan about not getting rent payments because whatever welfare owner that winds up buying the team but can't actually afford to operate it.
    That ends January 21st. The new mayor and city council members coming in are staunchly against continuing the charade of the taxpayers funding the team. If the team isn't sold by then the Phoenix situation is done with the team being forced to move unless Jamison or someone else ponies up all the money for the team and is actually paying the city rent rather than the city paying them reverse rent aka paying to operate the arena.

Apparently that new arena deal includes a clause forcing the team to be renamed the Arizona Coyotes. Lol.
    Last edited by conscript; 2012-12-01 at 01:44 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    I think for a lot of fans it's already crossed that threshold. Best to let it die for a year, sort out their shit and come back strong with a full season.

That ends January 21st. The new mayor and city council members coming in are staunchly against continuing the charade of the taxpayers funding the team. If the team isn't sold by then the Phoenix situation is done with the team being forced to move unless Jamison or someone else ponies up all the money for the team and is actually paying the city rent rather than the city paying them reverse rent aka paying to operate the arena.

Apparently that new arena deal includes a clause forcing the team to be renamed the Arizona Coyotes. Lol.

I think the Yotes are done in Phoenix personally. I think it all drags out far enough that the new council gets in and sends them packing. I wouldn't be shocked if Betteman and company aren't already working on a new location to be announced as soon as the lock out looks to be finished.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think the Yotes are done in Phoenix personally. I think it all drags out far enough that the new council gets in and sends them packing. I wouldn't be shocked if Betteman and company aren't already working on a new location to be announced as soon as the lock out looks to be finished.
    "Though it brings us great disappointment, we've been forced to move the Coyotes, to what we feel will be a much more stable market. So we'd like you all to welcome the JACKSONVILLE COYOTES to the NHL."
    You can tell WoW changed the MMO for good when players started complaining about the amount of time they sink, into a time sink.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Florida does not need 3 hockey teams! Maybe they will put the team in Quebec like they should have when the team had ownership problems.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Irony View Post
    "Though it brings us great disappointment, we've been forced to move the Coyotes, to what we feel will be a much more stable market. So we'd like you all to welcome the JACKSONVILLE COYOTES to the NHL."
    They can ask the Jags where they get those cool tarps they use to cover the seats in half their stadium every game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Irony View Post
    Phoenix is obviously not a hockey hotbed capable of sustaining an NHL franchise, Las Vegas it is!

Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    Phoenix is obviously not a hockey hotbed capable of sustaining an NHL franchise, Las Vegas it is!
    I would say Vegas would come alot closer to working than alot of other places. I think it will be a while before anyone puts a major sports franchise there because of the gambling though.

15+ Year Old Account
    I would say Vegas would come alot closer to working than alot of other places. I think it will be a while before anyone puts a major sports franchise there because of the gambling though.
    Well their local economy imploded when the recession happened. Besides it is phenomenally stupid to put a team in a city that is primarily a vacation spot. It just doesn't work at all.

---------- Post added 2012-12-02 at 05:33 PM ----------

NHL owners and players will meet Tuesday. 6 owners, 6 players, and a staff member from the NHL and NHLPA. NHL decided to be assholes and send Bill Daly as their staff member, which wasn't what the NHLPA wanted when they brought it up as they wanted a normal staffer not the second in command, so they will probably take Steve Fehr. Owners are Bruins, Pens, Flames, Tampa, Toronto, and Jets. Can't wait to see where that ends up. Oh wait, yes I can because my expectations no longer exist.
    Last edited by conscript; 2012-12-02 at 10:34 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    The NHL lockout has gone longer than Kim Kardashian's marriage...let that just sink in.
    Last edited by Garbles; 2012-12-03 at 12:34 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Garbles View Post
    The NHL lockout has gone longer than Kim Kardashian's marriage...let that just sink in.
    Well she did marry like a F level basketball player. Maye she should have stuck it out until he signed that 4 year $40 million deal this offseason though.

Well their local economy imploded when the recession happened. Besides it is phenomenally stupid to put a team in a city that is primarily a vacation spot. It just doesn't work at all.

---------- Post added 2012-12-02 at 05:33 PM ----------

NHL owners and players will meet Tuesday. 6 owners, 6 players, and a staff member from the NHL and NHLPA. NHL decided to be assholes and send Bill Daly as their staff member, which wasn't what the NHLPA wanted when they brought it up as they wanted a normal staffer not the second in command, so they will probably take Steve Fehr. Owners are Bruins, Pens, Flames, Tampa, Toronto, and Jets. Can't wait to see where that ends up. Oh wait, yes I can because my expectations no longer exist.
    Here it is in a nutshell

Middle finger from owners.....middle finger from players, everyone goes home.