10+ Year Old Account
    According to sources NHL players in Europe are being told by their agentsback to get ready to come back to North America within a week and having an expected start of the season by Jan 2. Would post Moreno but on phone atm

---------- Post added 2012-12-13 at 04:57 PM ----------

More info***
    You can tell WoW changed the MMO for good when players started complaining about the amount of time they sink, into a time sink.

The season is over.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Irony View Post
    According to sources NHL players in Europe are being told by their agentsback to get ready to come back to North America within a week and having an expected start of the season by Jan 2. Would post Moreno but on phone atm

---------- Post added 2012-12-13 at 04:57 PM ----------

More info***
    Ya, bullshit. That story is from one source. There isn't a single other guy out there saying that then Gareth Chalmers who claims teams told him that other agents told them that. There is zero indication that that is true. The NHL/NHLPA are not meeting again today. Several NHL players (including Max Talbot and Patty Hornqvist just went over to Europe to play today. Chances are good they wouldn't be doing that if their agent was telling them not to go over.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...5098--nhl.html

My hope meter prior to these comments
    No Hope [----l----------------] Hope
    My hope meter after these comments
    No Hope [----l----------------] Hope

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, you can pretty much call the season a wash, there isn't a snowballs chance in hell of there being a deal made by the end of the year unless the owners want to get those money rolls out of their asses and stop being greedy dicks towards the players and trying to force a CBA down their throats to falsely cover their own asses because they contravened the salary cap themselves.

Either way the longer it goes without agreement the more it hurts the NHL and the more people start to turn off, Bettman surely can't survive this for his second season long lockout.
    Koodledrum - Balnazzar EU - 85 Priest - Retired.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by koodledrum View Post
    Either way the longer it goes without agreement the more it hurts the NHL and the more people start to turn off, Bettman surely can't survive this for his second season long lockout.
    Survive this with the fans? No way. I can't even begin to imagine the boos at the Finals this year if there is one or next year. I honestly expect trash flying and just a complete disruption of the ceremony, especially if the cup is won on the road. I can't imagine he is going to be able to show his face at any game or anything without the fans just going insane. Survive with the owners though? Ya he will be fine. They are the ones who support the lockout, well seven of them at least. If the season is cancelled it is because they want it cancelled.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Team Canada has chosen it's players for the World Junior tournament in Russia this year. Manning the blue line are returning bronze medalist Douggie Hamilton and Leafs 2012 draft pick Morgan Rielly while Boston goalie prospect Malcolm Subban is expected to be the starting goalie for the entire tournament (the kid is pretty damn good too), as well as other returning players like Ryan-Nugent Hopkins and Mark Scheifle. Nathan MacKinnon and Jonanthan Drouin, both 17 and teammates on the Halifax Mooseheads QMJHL team, have made the roster as well. I think this is one of the better WJ teams Canada has iced since Stamkos and Tavares played on that team 4 years ago, should be interesting to see how things go.

10+ Year Old Account
    So what happens to the draft? Will there be a 2013 draft?
    Oderint dum metuat.
    Success is dependent on effort.

No idea how they will proceed this year, but here's a reference to last lockouts'.

As a lockout cancelled the games of the 2004–05 NHL season, the draft order was determined by lottery on July 22, 2005. Teams were assigned 1 to 3 balls based on their playoff appearances and first overall draft picks from the past three years. According to the draft order, the selection worked its way up to 30 as usual; then instead of repeating the order as in past years, the draft "snaked" back down to the team with the first pick. Therefore the team with the first pick overall would not pick again until the 60th pick. The team with the 30th pick would also get the 31st pick. The new CBA reduced the draft to seven rounds in length, compared to nine rounds in years past.
    From Wikipedia.

EDIT: Nashville picked a good pick last overall selection.
    Last edited by BicycleMafioso; 2012-12-14 at 10:22 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    The NHLPA executive board has voted to give the players the ability to vote to tell the executive board to issue a disclaimer of interest. If they do take that vote and issue the disclaimer it would more than likely mean the end of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    The NHLPA executive board has voted to give the players the ability to vote to tell the executive board to issue a disclaimer of interest. If they do take that vote and issue the disclaimer it would more than likely mean the end of the season.
    I'm far to simple minded, is that basically meaning they would be voting to dissolve the union? NM just read the article.

Yes if this happens the season will be over as the entire thing moves to the court system. Also this could be a very dangerous move for the Players in my eyes, mainly because if they take it to courst and lose, the owners can pretty much take them to the wood shed. Obviously it could have the desired effect of getting the owner to bend to the players side, but with this group of owners thats one hell of a gamble.
    Last edited by Armourboy; 2012-12-14 at 11:01 PM.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    They won't lose, as much as the players need the union, the union is useless when the folks on the other side of the bargaining table aren't bargaining at all. If Bettman is now aware that the players are going to vote on whether to dismantle the union, it puts a lot of pressure on the owners to come back to the players with a CBA proposal that works for them. It's only a threat until it's made official, the league does have time to get something whipped up that will get the players to sign it and hopefully the threat of decertification is the catalyst to reach a deal rather then dragging this whole debacle into the courts.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Armourboy View Post
    I'm far to simple minded, is that basically meaning they would be voting to dissolve the union? NM just read the article.

Yes if this happens the season will be over as the entire thing moves to the court system. Also this could be a very dangerous move for the Players in my eyes, mainly because if they take it to courst and lose, the owners can pretty much take them to the wood shed. Obviously it could have the desired effect of getting the owner to bend to the players side, but with this group of owners thats one hell of a gamble.
    A disclaimer of interest is basically the union stating that it will no longer represent the players. Essentially the same thing. It just lets the players then sue the NHL through an antitrust suit.

---------- Post added 2012-12-14 at 07:40 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    They won't lose, as much as the players need the union, the union is useless when the folks on the other side of the bargaining table aren't bargaining at all.
    Ya it certainly seems like the owners are basically saying take it or leave it at this point.

---------- Post added 2012-12-14 at 08:58 PM ----------

Oh hey the NHL has sued the NHLPA for unfair labor practices and bad faith bargaining. HILARIOUS. BTW the season is just about officially over at this point.

You still had hope? I'm not being sarcastic or cynic here, I literally marked the NHL-season as lost when they couldn't be arsed to even meet until it was soon-to-be too late.
    If they hadn't made an attempt until the Stanley Cup playoffs was even over (preferrably near new years), I didn't put much faith in it at all. I've had no expectations of an NHL-season 2012/2013.

10+ Year Old Account
    At this point, I kind of hope the season is completely gone. I'd like to see World Championships that doesn't have all the best players busy in the NHL playoffs.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    You still had hope? I'm not being sarcastic or cynic here, I literally marked the NHL-season as lost when they couldn't be arsed to even meet until it was soon-to-be too late.
    If they hadn't made an attempt until the Stanley Cup playoffs was even over (preferrably near new years), I didn't put much faith in it at all. I've had no expectations of an NHL-season 2012/2013.
    Well too be fair, that happens in every one of the major sport leagues. They are all fucking idiots or something. You'd think they would start solving this labor issue a year before it expires, not after the CBA ends and the finances of the owners and players are threatened (moreso the owners since the players have other opportunities to at least continue drawing a salary).

They won't lose, as much as the players need the union, the union is useless when the folks on the other side of the bargaining table aren't bargaining at all. If Bettman is now aware that the players are going to vote on whether to dismantle the union, it puts a lot of pressure on the owners to come back to the players with a CBA proposal that works for them. It's only a threat until it's made official, the league does have time to get something whipped up that will get the players to sign it and hopefully the threat of decertification is the catalyst to reach a deal rather then dragging this whole debacle into the courts.
    When it comes to the court system, you never say never. Just about the time you think you know what they would do they come out of left field and turn the whole thing on its head. Also while it is highly unlikely, being the players are no longer represented by the Union, the in theory could sign direct deals with the owners as individuals and go back to playing. Probably a snow balls chance in hell, but if a group of them needs money bad enough who freaking knows.

I'm hoping its nothing more than a bluffing move to try and get the owners back to the table and get it done. The NHL filing a suit doesn't really matter at this point, its just the standard reaction to the situation.

While I said when it all started that I thought they would lose the entire season, you always have that hope in the back of your mind that a deal gets done at some point. I could care less about the players or the owners tbh, I just want to see some damn NHL hockey.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Well the league is already in violation of numerous labour laws when it comes to work contracts, the fact that they signed them and decided that they would go back on their word with the new CBA and tried to roll back salaries, that doesn't make them look good in a court of law where workers unions are generally in the right when they are locked out of their own jobs.

It's such a disgrace how far the NHL has fallen in terms of respectability. You have an idiot commissioner and idiot owners who won't accept that their financial investments have been colossal failures and their unwillingness to accept it is what is driving the entire league into the ground. The NHL is going to turn into financial ruin soon enough, it's not popular enough to keep going with the amount of losses they are sustaining from weak franchises and before you know it we will be back to 12 or 15 teams and half of the players will be out of work. With how tarnished the NHL's reputation has become and how little sympathy or care for the plight of either side fans have, the loss in fan interest is going to damage the business and financial aspects mightily.

15+ Year Old Account
    Well the league is already in violation of numerous labour laws when it comes to work contracts, the fact that they signed them and decided that they would go back on their word with the new CBA and tried to roll back salaries, that doesn't make them look good in a court of law where workers unions are generally in the right when they are locked out of their own jobs.
    That is why the NHL jumped out first and sued the NHLPA in the state of New York. Now the court cases are going to be tied to that state where they have a history of favoring sports leagues and company ownership over the union members.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    It was bound to happen though. The NHLPA can counter sue in California though, and that could potentially drag the case to the federal courts. Also, the PA can file a federal lawsuit against the league here in Canada and it would be heard by the Supreme Court of Canada since it's a national labor dispute with an organization based in the USA. The fact that it has gotten to this stage just shows you that there are numerous underlying problems with the NHL as an organization and that the mentality from all the people in management that operate the league, is completely batshit stupid.