10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    I still can't believe we traded Rask for Raycroft. Look at the difference in careers now, last I heard Raycroft was playing hockey in some D league in Italy, probably a beer league more then anything (or wine if you are Italian), Rask is the starter for Boston. It's amazing how the fortunes of two teams would have changed had that deal not been done.
    For awhile the Kings made a habit of trading goalies away and watching them succeed elsewhere

Byron Dafoe, Manny Legace, Cristobal Huet

I am grateful to LaBarbera and Garon for ending the streak

Quote Originally Posted by Stommped View Post
    Ahaha WHY. Don't they audition people before putting them up there?
    I remember it all too well

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    For awhile the Kings made a habit of trading goalies away and watching them succeed elsewhere

Byron Dafoe, Manny Legace, Cristobal Huet

I am grateful to LaBarbera and Garon for ending the streak
    How many of those 3 are retired and how many of them couldn't get jobs in the NHL because they were bad? Huet had a couple of decent seasons by Legace had a pretty mediocre career, so did Dafoe if I remember correctly.

---------- Post added 2013-05-20 at 02:56 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Stommped View Post
    *snip*
    Derp?

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    All I remember about Huet was that amazing save vs Detroit that one year in the playoffs. One of the best playoffs saves I've ever seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Trunksee View Post
    As f a former college hockey player I hated Thomas as a goalie and thought Rask should have been starting sooner. Thomas was always out of position forcing him to make saves. He was also aided by a defensive system that protected him. Rask is a more standard goalie who doesnt need to look flashy. I would hate playing in front of Thomas as he always was a circus in net. Rask was young and Julien hates young players or he would have started. He carried them in round one and is doing it again.
    I'm fine with the way things worked out there. Thomas went on a ridiculous tear and won us the cup. There's no way we would've won it in '11 if it wasn't for Thomas. Sure, he wasn't the most conventional goalie, and he made some saves harder on himself than he had to, but there is no way we win the cup without him that year. Rask has been great this playoff though, and I'm definitely happy he's our starting goalie over Thomas now. But remember there were some questions about Rask considering he was in net for that meltdown against Philly. Prior to this playoff we had no idea how he'd handle that pressure. But, he's more than proven himself thus far, and deserves a nice fat contract for it moving forward.

In general, our goalie depth is ridiculous. Rask is a top 5 goalie imo. As I've said earlier in this thread he deserved a Vezina nod due to having higher SV%, lower GAA, and more shutouts than Lundqvist and Niemi. Khudobin has been fantastic as a backup, and even pushed Rask a bit when he was struggling for a stretch there during the season. I fully expect Khudobin to be offered a contract by a team looking for a starting goalie this offseason. Svedberg just won the Bastien Award for the best goaltender in the AHL. And, Subban is still working his way up in the system.

Also, by no means is this series over. Game 2 was much closer than the scoreboard indicated. If not for Rask in the second period, we would've lost that game. He was amazing in that period and completely stonewalled the Rangers who were outplaying us at the time. We also have no idea how the rookie's are going to do in the long run. They've been fantastic so far, but I highly doubt Krug is going to continue providing a goal per game. It'll be a tough decision who to bench though once Seidenberg comes back. From what I hear Ference won't be ready for a while, and Redden may not necessarily get a roster spot over the rookies with how well they're playing. But, obviously Seidenberg will be getting back into the roster, and he's started skating already. Will be interesting to see what Julien does there.
    Last edited by Raleik; 2013-05-20 at 09:14 PM.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    I wouldn't expect Subban to make the NHL for a while yet. Goalies are an enigma, they can be godly from a young age or they turn out being average to really good, but not Hasek or Roy good. Toronto for the first time in several years has goalie depth in the system.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Took them 2 games to take Carcilo out, big game tonight.

Holy plastic anthem singer batman
    Last edited by Zeoni; 2013-05-20 at 11:39 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    and apparently we got the refs from game 1 again. chicago gettign away with trying to murder cleary.

---------- Post added 2013-05-20 at 08:01 PM ----------

wow so chicago has had 3 calls blatently ignored and now detroit is on the PK. fucking horseshit.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    It's getting feisty now

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeoni View Post
    It's getting feisty now
    that it is.

---------- Post added 2013-05-20 at 08:13 PM ----------

wow this is pathetic.
    chicago about murders a wing. no penalty.
    detroit touches a hawk. penalty.

Toronto's goalie depth isn't really that great. Reimer and Scrivens.. Ok Reimer played his ass off and has potential to be a star player, but he's not quite there yet. Scrivens is a throw away IMO. To me, he doesn't scream #1 goalie and will not at any point in his career. McIntyre or however it's spelled was lights out for long stretches this year, but has been very rocky the last few weeks and Rynnas hasn't proven to be a bonafide #1 even at the AHL level. Owuya or whatever hasn't been very good either.

As for Rask, I am super shocked he was not up for Vezina after the numbers he threw out this year. The guy's glove is incredibly quick. He stole the first round for Boston, and as others have said.. I think the Leafs would legitimately have won in 6 or so if Rask hadn't played like he did. Also for anyone who wants to rag on him for his performance against Philly in '10 (I think?), keep in mind he was 23 and had like 65 NHL games under his belt to that point. The whole team shit the bed on that one - wasn't just him.

I feel bad for Chiarelli.. going ot have to break the bank for that kid this summer, especially if they make it 1 or 2 more rounds. If Boston can win the cup, I fully see them giving him 5.5-6M a season and having to let Horton and maybe Ference walk as UFAs.

By no means was I trying to rag on Rask for that playoff series. I was trying to point out the same thing as you, that he was inexperienced in the NHL both regular season and playoffs. That was simply a response to the person who said they wish Rask had been starting long before he did. And I was trying to outline why it was a good thing for Thomas to start until he did.

As far as Rask's contract goes, I'm pretty okay with that scenario. I don't think we'll really miss Ference if either Bartkowski or Krug can keep up their level of play. I love Ference as a person, but this past season his play wasn't that great to be honest. Horton will hurt a bit more, and leave a hole in our top 6, so I'll have to wait to see what they manage to fill that hole with til I judge.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    How do they draft these fucking guys, damn that was nice

15+ Year Old Account
    This side of an imaginary line in the sand
    What the-

I went to get a bowl of cereal... came back and this game is 2-0 Detroit. Woo!
    red panda red panda red panda!

15+ Year Old Account
    2-0 wings!

---------- Post added 2013-05-20 at 08:58 PM ----------

and just now a blatent cross check ignored.
    come on refs. call it fair.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by VanillaO View Post
    Toronto's goalie depth isn't really that great. Reimer and Scrivens.. Ok Reimer played his ass off and has potential to be a star player, but he's not quite there yet. Scrivens is a throw away IMO. To me, he doesn't scream #1 goalie and will not at any point in his career. McIntyre or however it's spelled was lights out for long stretches this year, but has been very rocky the last few weeks and Rynnas hasn't proven to be a bonafide #1 even at the AHL level. Owuya or whatever hasn't been very good either.

As for Rask, I am super shocked he was not up for Vezina after the numbers he threw out this year. The guy's glove is incredibly quick. He stole the first round for Boston, and as others have said.. I think the Leafs would legitimately have won in 6 or so if Rask hadn't played like he did. Also for anyone who wants to rag on him for his performance against Philly in '10 (I think?), keep in mind he was 23 and had like 65 NHL games under his belt to that point. The whole team shit the bed on that one - wasn't just him.

I feel bad for Chiarelli.. going ot have to break the bank for that kid this summer, especially if they make it 1 or 2 more rounds. If Boston can win the cup, I fully see them giving him 5.5-6M a season and having to let Horton and maybe Ference walk as UFAs.
    MacIntyre has had a rough playoff, but he was god like in the 21 games that he started for the Marlies, only had 5 regulation losses and 3 shootout losses. Rynnas hasn't been that good this year but he was decent last year and he has only been playing in North America for 3 seasons and all of them as a backup. He backed up Scrivens on their run to the Calder Cup last year, and is backing up MacIntyre who has spent his professional career in the AHL. I think his struggles of late came from the fact that the Leafs had a few call ups at the end of the season. Colborne and Gardiner were called up before the playoffs started. Then there is Garret Sparks, who is coming out of the OHL next year. Owuya has been shit, so he is playing for Toronto's ECHL affiliate right now. But consider our goalie prospect pool when JFJ was GM, our goalie future was non existent at that point. Who did we have in the system? Justin Pogge was the only other name I can remember, and his career fell hard on it's ass! He was as much of a dud as Raycroft was, he is playing in Italy too, they are both in the same league actually.

I think Scrivens is one of those guys who has a long way to go before he will truly be an NHL goalie. He is a good player and has come a long way from where he was initially, but he needs a lot of coaching and development to even be a consistent and reliable backup.

15+ Year Old Account
    wow what a flop i cant believe the refs called that a penalty. seriously refs call it fairly.

15+ Year Old Account
    This side of an imaginary line in the sand
    Chicago PP is confusing, I feel like I am watching a Rangers PP.
    red panda red panda red panda!

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raleik View Post
    By no means was I trying to rag on Rask for that playoff series. I was trying to point out the same thing as you, that he was inexperienced in the NHL both regular season and playoffs. That was simply a response to the person who said they wish Rask had been starting long before he did. And I was trying to outline why it was a good thing for Thomas to start until he did.

As far as Rask's contract goes, I'm pretty okay with that scenario. I don't think we'll really miss Ference if either Bartkowski or Krug can keep up their level of play. I love Ference as a person, but this past season his play wasn't that great to be honest. Horton will hurt a bit more, and leave a hole in our top 6, so I'll have to wait to see what they manage to fill that hole with til I judge.
    Horton is a guy I could see Nonis going after in the summer. Him and Clarkson are two additions that would make the Leafs dangerous. I think Grabovski's time in Toronto is at an end and we need to get better scoring depth and grit in our top 6. If your top 6 consists of Lupul, Kessel, Kadri, JVR, Horton, Clarkson as well as Bozak or Colborne in that mix if injuries occur, that's a versatile top 6. Clarkson has lots of grit and it's something we need from a centre who will go to the boards and open up space for guys like Kessel and Lupul, Horton would bring a lot of intensity to our top 6 as well.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Marcelos is going to be distraught