Quote Originally Posted by Raleik View Post
    "Mike Harrington of the Buffalo News also points out the Sabres were down forwards due to injury, and that Scott had played nearly eight-and-a-half minutes prior to the incident. Also, the Maple Leafs had the final change."

Scott was sent to the ice before the Tropp-Devane fight. Due to injuries, Scott was left in the game, he was not sent out after the fight specifically in order to start something, he was left on the ice to finish his shift. The Leafs had last change, and so could have lined anyone up against him. It wasn't possible for Scott to have been sent out there after Kessel went on the ice. The rule is the visiting team places their line-up on the ice, and then the home team can make any desired substitution unless it was an icing, which it wasn't. Carlyle was fully capable of switching things up so that Kessel wasn't lined up next to Scott. I'm not trying to defend Scott, just pointing out that Rolston didn't break any rules and shouldn't have been fined, and Carlyle could have put a different line up out there if he was worried about Scott.
    Except your completely ignoring Carlyle's rational for doing so. Carlyle believed putting Kessel and that line out would actually defuse the situation BECAUSE an enforcer protects his guys and fights other enforcers. He does not go after a purely skill player like Kessel who he knows isn't gonna try and fight him. The part where everything went nuts was because Scott is exactly that much of a douche bag to do so.

And yea, time left was around the 10 minute mark by the way.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Gotta love the fact that they're STILL talking about this, it wasn't even that out of control. Any other team.... >

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeoni View Post
    Gotta love the fact that they're STILL talking about this, it wasn't even that out of control. Any other team.... >
    I attempted to change the subject to something else... It's expected though, I mean it's the Leafs. If this was Sabres/Panthers instead of the Leafs, I prolly wouldn't have even heard about it.

Hey. Nothing bad to say about the Sabres. Go Jhonas Enroth!

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stommped View Post
    I attempted to change the subject to something else... It's expected though, I mean it's the Leafs. If this was Sabres/Panthers instead of the Leafs, I prolly wouldn't have even heard about it.
    I meant on the radio ect, I coulden't believe driving to work and this still being the main topic of conversation. Fuk sakes, maybe if Scott had gotten a couple licks on Kessel it would have been interesting enough to talk about all week.

Quote Originally Posted by Stommped View Post
    I feel the same way, but from what I'm seeing (outside MMO) it's mostly Sabres fans bitching.

Quote Originally Posted by Juno86 View Post
    Except your completely ignoring Carlyle's rational for doing so. Carlyle believed putting Kessel and that line out would actually defuse the situation BECAUSE an enforcer protects his guys and fights other enforcers. He does not go after a purely skill player like Kessel who he knows isn't gonna try and fight him. The part where everything went nuts was because Scott is exactly that much of a douche bag to do so.

And yea, time left was around the 10 minute mark by the way.
    My main point was that there was no reason for Rolston to be fined for the situation. I already said I don't agree with what Scott did, and I don't believe that Rolston put him out there with the intent of having him fight Kessel. There was no reason for the NHL to fine Rolston for what happened is all I'm trying to say. The only reason I expanded on my point about the line change is because somebody else was trying to tell me that there was no way for Carlyle to change, and I was showing them they were wrong.

If there were something else worth talking about going on in the pre-season, people would be. If you're listening to radio out west, it's probably what.. CFL and NHL mostly?

Even Toronto radio shows (sports ones anyway) dedicate a vast majority of their time to the Leafs unless it's mid-July and nothing is going on NHL-wise. They STILL find ways to at least discuss them in some aspect. During hockey season, expect a 3 hour show to legitimately devote up to 2 hours towards the Leafs, even if the Argos just won the Grey Cup. Shows largely stopped caring about the Jays in July, and the Raptors get thrown a bone once in a while, but this city is Leaf-crazy 365 days a year it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by VanillaO View Post
    If there were something else worth talking about going on in the pre-season, people would be. If you're listening to radio out west, it's probably what.. CFL and NHL mostly?

Even Toronto radio shows (sports ones anyway) dedicate a vast majority of their time to the Leafs unless it's mid-July and nothing is going on NHL-wise. They STILL find ways to at least discuss them in some aspect. During hockey season, expect a 3 hour show to legitimately devote up to 2 hours towards the Leafs, even if the Argos just won the Grey Cup. Shows largely stopped caring about the Jays in July, and the Raptors get thrown a bone once in a while, but this city is Leaf-crazy 365 days a year it seems.
    1050 yes.
    590 seems to dedicate 4/5 hours to the Blue Jays.

Quote Originally Posted by Greeney View Post
    I feel the same way, but from what I'm seeing (outside MMO) it's mostly Sabres fans bitching.
    Honestly, I'm not mad about the incident or anything, I just think the NHL's penalties handed out are a complete fucking joke. Kessel gets "penalized" with a preseason suspension and Ralston gets fined for nothing in particular. They would have been better off just ignoring the incident.

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Garbles View Post
    http://wac.9ebf.edgecastcdn.net/809EBF/ec-origin.boston.barstoolsports.com/files/2013/09/804170_orig.gif
    Wow this is the first time I see the situation to begin with. Kessel got away lucky. What a bitch.

10+ Year Old Account
    Maple Leafs fans rejoice: Franson is signed. It's a miracle!
    "Some people believe football is a matter of life and death, I am very disappointed with that attitude. I can assure you it is much, much more important than that".
    Bill Shankly
    "You're playing worse and worse every day and right now you're playing like it's next month".
    Herb Brooks

Quote Originally Posted by Elgefar View Post
    Maple Leafs fans rejoice: Franson is signed. It's a miracle!
    As in Cody Franson? The guy played in SHL during the lockout. I guess it's a big-ice-issue, but the guy was a clown. He was among the worst defensemen in the league. I'm glad you're happy about them in the NHL though.

10+ Year Old Account
    A: Sarcasm. B: Not a Maple Leaf fan. C: It's a big sign for the Leafs though. Arguably their best D-man.
    "Some people believe football is a matter of life and death, I am very disappointed with that attitude. I can assure you it is much, much more important than that".
    Bill Shankly
    "You're playing worse and worse every day and right now you're playing like it's next month".
    Herb Brooks

As much as I'm relieved that Franson is under contract finally, that kind of means Reilly (who has been killing it in preseason) will probably end up back in junior after 5 games, if we even keep him up at all. We're now also like 225k over the cap.

Maybe we can get someone to take Kulemin for a 2nd or 3rd round pick. He's a UFA after this season and probably going to go back to the KHL if the Leafs don't want to resign him (which I doubt they do).

10+ Year Old Account
    Bill Shankly
    Herb Brooks

Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    Wow this is the first time I see the situation to begin with. Kessel got away lucky. What a bitch.
    He was asking the media what would you do in that situation? My only thought is if you have the guts instead of trying to win just tie him up, or fight him knowing your going to get the piss beat out of you, or fall to the floor and hope the refs intervene before too many punches are thrown.

I'd personally go with option C. Scott would get ejected, potentially get a disciplinary hearing, and you just look like a bit of a weeny. A very smart, sane weeny.

Quote Originally Posted by Skippy88 View Post
    He was asking the media what would you do in that situation?
    Skate away. I can understand the initial defensive swing as as he's trying to escape, it's continuing to swing his stick at Scott that's the problem.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by VanillaO View Post
    I'd personally go with option C. Scott would get ejected, potentially get a disciplinary hearing, and you just look like a bit of a weeny. A very smart, sane weeny.
    Honestly, he wouldn't even look like a weeny. He'd just look like a guy that's smart enough to not fight John Scott for no particular reason.