(21:00 is actually 9 PM)

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    (21:00 is actually 9 PM)
    Close enough :P

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by VanillaO View Post
    The thing that worries me as a Canadian (and would worry me as a Swede) is our goaltending. Russia has weak D. USA overall doesn't have the scoring punch of any of the other countries. They all have strengths, and they all have weaknesses.
    i agree. Canada is falling so far behind european teams in terms of goaltending.
    And will be a big weakness later on. They've already been in a big downfall in the bigger leagues the last couple of years.
    Theres just too many players, and to few really good goalie coaches out there, and alot of the really good ones falls under the radar.
    Easier if you are in Sweden/finland etc where you have the best goalies in the world pretty much that gets picked up at a very young age and trained properly
    Last edited by Rosh; 2014-01-11 at 02:43 AM.

Canada > Sweden > USA > Russia I feel like has the deepest roster, but I feel like USA will still make it further. Russia I think will choke again.

Why put in Clarkson when you pull the goalie when he's this cold?

Last night was better but still pretty bad at the end of the day. A loss is a loss, and losses are bad, even more so when the four straight losses are to teams right around or behind you at the start of each game. Now just 1 game over .500, and the 3 teams right behind us now (Ottawa/NJ/Columbus) could all tie or pass us with wins in their games in hand. Hard not to be disappointed, especially since this was such an important stretch of games and they're now just shitting the whole season away after a great start.. where have I seen this before?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Greeney View Post
    snip
    Because Carlyle is a fucking dumbass, who has absolutely no clue on how to run a team anymore... Likewise with Nonis. Both should be fired, and banned from Hockey.
    "Some people believe football is a matter of life and death, I am very disappointed with that attitude. I can assure you it is much, much more important than that".
    Bill Shankly
    "You're playing worse and worse every day and right now you're playing like it's next month".
    Herb Brooks

10+ Year Old Account
    so I saw this pop up on my facebook feed.
    https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.n...77456982_n.jpg
    I really think you guys will... love it :P

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account

This is pretty awesome, not gonna lie. Skip to about 1:40

10+ Year Old Account
    Claude Noel finally fired

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yy1hiuxDrwA

SHL.
    Linesman drops the puck, the other team is not in position; their goalie is drinking.

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yy1hiuxDrwA

SHL.
    Linesman drops the puck, the other team is not in position; their goalie is drinking.

Quote Originally Posted by kabookiejoez View Post
    The problem with the Jets is the same problem the Leafs have.. they have a few pieces of legitimate talent on their team, and the rest are questionable at best, yet were given huge contracts. I don't think Paul Maurice is really going to turn the team around - both coaches kind of strike me as similar.

I want to say that if the Leafs haven't turned it around by the Olympic break, someone is getting fired, but by that point it's way too late (14 more games including tonight, with only 22 left on the schedule after) to really do anything to salvage the season. They're in 12th in the East right now (out of 16 teams), and 22nd in the entire league. If it weren't for Calgary and Edmonton, the Leafs would easily be the worst Canadian team right now... in fact, because of their team being much more complete and not in the midst of rebuilds like those 2 teams, I would argue the Leafs ARE the worst team in Canada as of today. If they lose to Buffalo again this week, and any one of you in Toronto hear someone screaming obscenities way off in the distance... it's me.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    I think the Jets have much bigger problems than the Leafs. They need a goalie and an actual defense system. If you ever watch them play, it's just the most run and gun exciting hockey but that doesn't actually work in the NHL. I didn't like Noel at all, he just seemed like a shitty coach. Took them long enough to fire his ass. Maurice isn't much better but at least he took a whatever Carolina team to the cup finals in 02. I remember I had them in our playoff pool in Grade 6 that year and they upset everyone then got stomped by Detroit. I want the Jets to do well because their fans are just so crazy but it won't happen. Not in this conference at least. Pavelec isn't good enough and there isn't many options to improve in net. Their best bet is to try and wrangle one of those out of Anaheim.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by VanillaO View Post
    The problem with the Jets is the same problem the Leafs have.. they have a few pieces of legitimate talent on their team, and the rest are questionable at best, yet were given huge contracts. I don't think Paul Maurice is really going to turn the team around - both coaches kind of strike me as similar.

I want to say that if the Leafs haven't turned it around by the Olympic break, someone is getting fired, but by that point it's way too late (14 more games including tonight, with only 22 left on the schedule after) to really do anything to salvage the season. They're in 12th in the East right now (out of 16 teams), and 22nd in the entire league. If it weren't for Calgary and Edmonton, the Leafs would easily be the worst Canadian team right now... in fact, because of their team being much more complete and not in the midst of rebuilds like those 2 teams, I would argue the Leafs ARE the worst team in Canada as of today. If they lose to Buffalo again this week, and any one of you in Toronto hear someone screaming obscenities way off in the distance... it's me.
    The way Edmonton is, and Toronto are.. I would try for a massive blockbuster.

Move like Kadri, Reimer Gardiner and someone else for Eberle and Gagner.. problem is money

And sending Holland down for Ashton was just stupid

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    The way Edmonton is, and Toronto are.. I would try for a massive blockbuster.

Move like Kadri, Reimer Gardiner and someone else for Eberle and Gagner.. problem is money

And sending Holland down for Ashton was just stupid
    Why would anyone make that kind of a deal? Eberle has proven nothing at the NHL level that would make the Leafs want him over Kadri, not to mention the whole small forward without any physical ability doesn't suit this team, and Eberle is one of them. As to why anyone would want Gagner is beyond me.

And no, sending Holland down for Ashton is purely a business move, nothing more.

- - - Updated - - -

Took them long enough, but coaching isn't their only issue right now. That team needs an identity and they need to find a coach who they can build a team around his coaching style. Byfuglien hasn't been the kind of player he was in Chicago and the team really hasn't had guys step up yet to make an impact. They won't be competitive in the west for a few more years at the bottom. Paul Maurice isn't exactly the ideal candidate for a job like that though.
    Last edited by Rennadrel; 2014-01-13 at 12:50 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    Why would anyone make that kind of a deal? Eberle has proven nothing at the NHL level that would make the Leafs want him over Kadri, not to mention the whole small forward without any physical ability doesn't suit this team, and Eberle is one of them. As to why anyone would want Gagner is beyond me.

And no, sending Holland down for Ashton is purely a business move, nothing more.

- - - Updated - - -

Took them long enough, but coaching isn't their only issue right now. That team needs an identity and they need to find a coach who they can build a team around his coaching style. Byfuglien hasn't been the kind of player he was in Chicago and the team really hasn't had guys step up yet to make an impact. They won't be competitive in the west for a few more years at the bottom. Paul Maurice isn't exactly the ideal candidate for a job like that though.

Not sure how you got that, Eberle has been better at the NHL level then Kadri has been.

Gagner has speed and can win face-offs.. Kardri can't.

J.G has just been awful on the blueline

Toronto Goal Waived off because of blind official.. not surprise there with NHL Refs
    Last edited by Masqerader; 2014-01-13 at 01:25 AM.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Not sure how you got that, Eberle has been better at the NHL level then Kadri has been.

Gagner has speed and can win face-offs.. Kardri can't.

J.G has just been awful on the blueline

Toronto Goal Waived off because of blind official.. not surprise there with NHL Refs
    I was under the impression that they were allowed to review the play, that wasn't goaltender interference and the ref that called that needs to be kicked in the junk.

10+ Year Old Account
    I was under the impression that they were allowed to review the play, that wasn't goaltender interference and the ref that called that needs to be kicked in the junk.
    Nope, don't think so, their was no interference. But anyone can vouche that NHL officials have been horrible. And unlike other leagues, the NHL won't hold theirs accountable

03:08 New Jersey Jaromir Jagr: 2 minutes, hi-sticking
    05:43 New Jersey Reid Boucher: 2 minutes, hi-sticking
    08:56 New Jersey Adam Henrique: 2 minutes, hi-sticking
    15:16 New Jersey Bryce Salvador: 2 minutes, hi-sticking

lol

Apparently this is goaltender interference:
    http://video.mapleleafs.nhl.com/vide...536247&lang=en
    And this is not:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...dyWKfLyhg#t=36

Called by the same referee who won't be held accountable because NHL.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Greeney View Post
    Apparently this is goaltender interference:
    http://video.mapleleafs.nhl.com/vide...536247&lang=en
    And this is not:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...dyWKfLyhg#t=36

Called by the same referee who won't be held accountable because NHL.
    Yup, which is amusing because Schneider dove for the puck after the initial shot attempt, so he wasn't being prevented from stopping the shot. Reimer was actually being interfered and was prevented from stopping the puck. Good old NHL referee consistency.

Watching hockey and expecting competent officiating is like joining a dick-kicking competition and being surprised when you get kicked in the dick.