Quote Originally Posted by Zeoni View Post
    They're gonna have a real hard time convincing them to send players for South Korea lol
    Pfft. There won't be one once North Korea invades. Or at least that's what they have threaten to do the last few years.

Jokes aside we seem to go through this every 4 years of will they send players over or not. It's getting tiresome. Either commit to it fully or not at all. I can see the pros and cons of it and I'm not sure I care either way. It was funny on Wednesday our internet went down and the cause was too many people were streaming the Canada hockey game. They even advised they expected a repeat performance today but so far it hasn't happened. Either put in backup measures or people took off work today and are viewing on tv.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skippy88 View Post
    Pfft. There won't be one once North Korea invades. Or at least that's what they have threaten to do the last few years.

Jokes aside we seem to go through this every 4 years of will they send players over or not. It's getting tiresome. Either commit to it fully or not at all. I can see the pros and cons of it and I'm not sure I care either way. It was funny on Wednesday our internet went down and the cause was too many people were streaming the Canada hockey game. They even advised they expected a repeat performance today but so far it hasn't happened. Either put in backup measures or people took off work today and are viewing on tv.
    I think the whole long term injuries thing will play a different role especially since they're such elite players. I don't remember the last couple but were there big injuries in them?

Man, I'm ready for these Olympics to be done.. the talk in that other thread just brings me down. Whine whine whine complain whine criticize whine complain, insult insult complain, excuse. Blah... blah.. blah. (I realize I'm whining right meow, but you guys are my venting area :P) Would gladly trade all of them for marcelos to be back.

Quote Originally Posted by VanillaO View Post
    Man, I'm ready for these Olympics to be done.. the talk in that other thread just brings me down. Whine whine whine complain whine criticize whine complain, insult insult complain, excuse. Blah... blah.. blah. (I realize I'm whining right meow, but you guys are my venting area :P) Would gladly trade all of them for marcelos to be back.
    But didn't you hear? Canada drugged Backstrom and our nefarious referees went around the ice tripping players and picking up errant rebounds. 4-0 Sweden if not for the Wacky Races-style hi-jinks.

Alright.. on to more important things.. trade deadline is in 10 days. It begins!

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Heard Callahagn will likely be traded really soon here, to an eastern conference team. Not sure who it is but if they're resigning him hopefully they have deep pockets. You'll be taking that contract on the chin.

Hopin' Burke makes some moves here, Cammalarri and Stempniak out, picks in please.
    Last edited by Zeoni; 2014-02-23 at 03:46 PM.

He's a good defensive forward, but he's nowhere near worth the 5-6M he will probably get as a UFA. The only team that I could see making the playoffs in the East and benefitting from acquiring a guy like Callahan would be Montreal - that being said, I don't think they have anything to offer the Rangers in return. He's bound to draw interest (because Sather is actually not as crazy as I thought, and doesn't want to resign him for the $ Callahan wants), but I don't think he's worth what teams will likely have to give up to get him (a top-6 forward, a top-4 D, or a 1st + prospect). It's a seller's market right now, though, so who knows.. maybe Callahan + a 1st could draw a top scoring forward from another team. Sabres and Moulson maybe?

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    He's a good defensive forward, but he's nowhere near worth the 5-6M he will probably get as a UFA. The only team that I could see making the playoffs in the East and benefitting from acquiring a guy like Callahan would be Montreal - that being said, I don't think they have anything to offer the Rangers in return. He's bound to draw interest (because Sather is actually not as crazy as I thought, and doesn't want to resign him for the $ Callahan wants), but I don't think he's worth what teams will likely have to give up to get him (a top-6 forward, a top-4 D, or a 1st + prospect). It's a seller's market right now, though, so who knows.. maybe Callahan + a 1st could draw a top scoring forward from another team. Sabres and Moulson maybe?
    I was thinking Red Wings actually with Zetterberg out. He has all the intangibles you'd want in a guy but yeah he's asking for long term 6+m contract.

Eh.. He would fit the system well, but I think the Red Wings (despite only being a couple points out after games in hand) are going to miss out this year. Price is going to be riding high, and I don't so them stumbling so bad down the stretch like last year. The Leafs should be able to pick back up where they left off (though, it will be interesting to see if/how Bolland fits back into the lineup).. they may not win 11 of 14 like they did before the break, but I can easily see them playing .600 hockey down the stretch, which will be more than enough to get a playoff spot. Tampa has Stamkos coming back, which should give them a bit of a boost... Boston is Boston. Detroit could obviously hang onto the 2nd wild card spot, but I just don't see it happening.. one of the teams that's only 1-3 points back is going to make a strong push, you can guarantee it. 5 teams within 3 points of the 2nd WC spot, all within 1 game played of Detroit.

It's kind of silly to look at the Metropolitan (god can we change this already) division standings, too.. no other division is more than 7 points from 1st to 2nd... Pittsburgh is 16 points up on the Rangers with a game in hand. Good game, balance.

Anyone know when the trade block is lifted?

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Midnight tonight is what I heard.

I just have a hard time doubting the Wings. I seem to do it every year and they prove me wrong (most) of the time.
    Last edited by Zeoni; 2014-02-23 at 08:16 PM.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'd never count Detroit out. It's going to be tough but I wouldn't count them out of one of the wild card spots.

Those two wild card spots (unless something changes in the other division) are going to be between Montreal, Toronto, and Detroit. Although stranger things have happened.

Once Stamkos gets back into form I can see TB being the class of the east, they will be scary good.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Toronto has a 6 point lead over Detroit and a 7 point lead over Columbus and Ottawa who are the only two teams vying for a wild card spot. Tampa Bay has to play well down the stretch otherwise they will fall into a wild card position. They have 2 games in hand on Toronto and one on Montreal with only a single point lead over either team. Three losses in a row by Tampa Bay puts Toronto and Montreal in the top 3 for the division. Either way, it's going to take 90 points or more in order to get in the top 3 in the Atlantic division.

10+ Year Old Account
    Boomer Esiason has been hinting hard at a Callahan trade for Martin St. Louis. We will see in a few hours since he said the deal is probably 90% done and just needs to be inked. No way it would be straight up, so wondering what Sather fucked up.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reg View Post
    Boomer Esiason has been hinting hard at a Callahan trade for Martin St. Louis. We will see in a few hours since he said the deal is probably 90% done and just needs to be inked. No way it would be straight up, so wondering what Sather fucked up.
    That's where I saw my rumors, any idea how legit the guy is? I know he called the lockout ending and the Klein - Del Zotto deal.

How in the fuck... I wouldn't make that trade if I was either team.. The Rangers aren't primed for a legitimate cup run, and St. Louis is getting kind of old.. yes he still produces now, but for how much longer? I mean, unless of course you see 0 chance of resigning Callahan to a reasonable contract... even still, ya.. you're going to be giving up more than just Callahan to get St. Louis.. a prospect... a 1st or 2nd... or another top-9/top-4 player.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    I think they just want a crack at winning a cup before Hank retires to be honest.

And lol @ Buffalo, they are the first team back playing in Tuesday against Carolina and they have Boston the next night.

Looking at the schedule, Toronto plays Montreal, Tampa and Detroit twice each, only once against Boston in the las 22 games, aside from playing Anaheim, San Jose, LA and St Louis, the rest of the schedule should be easy enough and some of those tougher games are winnable.

Ya that Buffalo game is a makeup iirc. The games weren't supposed to resume until Wednesday.

I like the Leafs' chances - they don't have any long stretches against superior teams - that 5 game trip in 8 nights will be tough with California teams + Washington/Detroit, but I think they can get some points out of that. LA hasn't been great lately, and we've beaten Anaheim once this year already. Honestly, they could have more trouble with Columbus/NYR/Philly in the 3 games leading up to that trip than they might with the actual trip.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeoni View Post
    That's where I saw my rumors, any idea how legit the guy is? I know he called the lockout ending and the Klein - Del Zotto deal.
    Boomer is usually pretty spot on.

How in the fuck... I wouldn't make that trade if I was either team.. The Rangers aren't primed for a legitimate cup run, and St. Louis is getting kind of old.. yes he still produces now, but for how much longer? I mean, unless of course you see 0 chance of resigning Callahan to a reasonable contract... even still, ya.. you're going to be giving up more than just Callahan to get St. Louis.. a prospect... a 1st or 2nd... or another top-9/top-4 player.
    Callahan's agent is being pretty stubborn with the numbers and won't come down to what many consider reasonable, and some would say is still too much. I love the guy, but he's still not a 6.5-7 a year player.

15+ Year Old Account
    This side of an imaginary line in the sand
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    I think they just want a crack at winning a cup before Hank retires to be honest.
    Marty is good, but not good enough to carry the Rangers to a cup...
    red panda red panda red panda!

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Asera View Post
    Marty is good, but not good enough to carry the Rangers to a cup...
    Especially when there is no one to play with him!