Thought I'd stop in and give kudos to the Toronto fans the other night. Apparently the mic for the singer of the US national anthem cut off mid stream and instead of fixing it the fans just picked it up and finished it out. It's something I think most US cities probably couldn't do in return, pretty awesome imo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHSaHRd4Q48
    Last edited by Armourboy; 2014-11-20 at 10:09 PM.

Deleted
    That's actually really cool. Kinda makes you feel bad about the asswhooping that followed.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    I seriously don't get this team....Lose two horrible games, one of which they should have roflstomped and the other should have been close. Now they don't look like a complete pile of crap, are playing decent hockey tonight and shutting down Tampa's offense.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Armourboy View Post
    Thought I'd stop in and give kudos to the Toronto fans the other night. Apparently the mic for the singer of the US national anthem cut off mid stream and instead of fixing it the fans just picked it up and finished it out. It's something I think most US cities probably couldn't do in return, pretty awesome imo.

That was pretty damn awesome

10+ Year Old Account

If you mean finish the Canadian anthem, then no, most places in the US couldn't lol We know our own though. Good on Toronto though, saw the video on Facebook last night.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Toronto media seriously makes me want to punch a kitten.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account

I wonder if this would happen in Montreal

- - - Updated - - -

Saw this stat to make me feel a little better about the lack of goals:

The Blackhawks have been the best team in the NHL at producing shot attempts. Chicago is shooting the puck 65.61 times per 60 minutes of even-strength time. That's 6.55 more per 60 minutes than the second-best team.

Second place belongs to the New York Islanders, who have produced 59.06 shot attempts per 60 minutes. That is 6.49 more per 60 minutes than the Columbus Blue Jackets. Why is that significant? The Blue Jackets are 21st in the NHL.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Shots taken is such an irrelevant stat though, the one you're looking for is shooting %. There is so many random shots in the duration of a game that it really doesnt matter of you're getting alot on net. Case in point: Flames vs Blackhawks first meeting this year. Yeah you guys had a shitload of shots but none of them were rwally that high quality other than the Carcilo blunders on wide open nets. Most of the shots in that game had no chance of going in. We out shot you last night too and you won because you had a high shooting percentage.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Still though you can have a good S% and not be scoring many goals (1 shot 1 goal = 100%). You need both to be successful offensively. But at least with a high amount of shots you have more puck control, more offensive zone time, and thus less opportunities to be scored on. I look at the Hawks high shot total and low S% as they have been on the unlucky side of things so far this year (you can have a ton of high quality shots, but if high quality saves are made in return, you wont score and your S% will plummet), but you could also look at it from your perspective, that we're just repeatedly firing shots from the blue line and our S% will remain near the bottom until we get more looks around the net.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    When I woke up and saw this on the front page of Sportsnet.ca, I seriously wanted to rage at someone:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/s...h-salute-snub/

Seriously? This was all the idiot had to write about after the Leafs went out and shut down a team that is supposed to be better then them, a team in their division that they are going to be fighting for a playoff spot against no doubt because they aren't a top 3 team? The media are so bad at overblowing something so absolutely meaningless. Maybe this was more of a fuck you to the media, because they seem to be the one's trying to make something out of nothing. Maybe it was a fuck you to the fans who are constantly whining and being pessimistic, who knows? One thing is for certain, they shouldn't acknowledge the home crowd who don't acknowledge that they are playing a bloody game by cheering. Half the arena is dead silent, the entire crowd should be on their damn feet the whole game because that is what hockey fans do. If people aren't going to go to the game to cheer on their team, then why should the team acknowledge their sorry existence? Why should the team give a rats ass about the media or anyone else but themselves? I applaud management and the players alike for their ability to keep their cool when dealing with such an infuriating and pessimistic media group as well as some bad egg fans. Sure, it doesn't excuse 47 years of not winning a championship, but it doesn't give people who for the most part have never even played the bloody game to begin with, the right to be complete assholes towards the organization.

/rant

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    my perspective is that total shots isnt a great stat to base anything off of because it makes you assume certain things instead of actually knowing them. Its indicative of a few things but knowing the more specific stats (offensive zone time, shooting %, quality scoring chances) is a bit more reassuring than total shots.

Theres also the fact that you guys didnt succumb to our hype train like many others before you. Sharpll b back soon too.
    Last edited by Zeoni; 2014-11-21 at 10:42 PM.

I'm so sad that two soft goals in the 1st period basically killed us last night. and from some rookie and fuckin' Carcillo no less...aaargh!

Flames need to improve their first periods.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    we need bachlund back more than anything. too much faceoff pressure on Monahan right now. I'd love Raymond back too and get the fuck out Setoguchimane. Useless player taking up a roster spot.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeoni View Post
    we need bachlund back more than anything. too much faceoff pressure on Monahan right now. I'd love Raymond back too and get the fuck out Setoguchimane. Useless player taking up a roster spot.
    and Colborne, for more of that net presence especially on the PP. Ferland did well at it last night, and Glencross is usually clutch there too. But Colborne's size is irreplaceable.

I'm also a little disappointed that we're getting more Bollig than McGrattan. I like Bollig for the most part, but I feel like he just doesn't bring those extra things like Big Ern does. Not just on the ice too.
    Last edited by Tradewind; 2014-11-21 at 11:45 PM.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

10+ Year Old Account
    fucking finally, the dumbass NHL watched the Kings go 14 games with Voynov suspended before they gave a cap exemption, maybe now we won't have to watch whatever shitty assholes they could sign for the cheapest to squeeze on there or watch them play with 19 or with 5 defensemen anymore.

Deleted
    You guys saw that Boychuk hit on Malkin? http://gfycat.com/ComplexMediumJenny

Yeah, that's probably gonna be a multi game ban. Nowhere near the puck, kneeing, cross-check right between the pads so that it hurts extra. That was nasty.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Flames tie her up with 5 seconds to go and win in a shootout. Edmonton loses 7-1. What a beautiful night. Sometimes I wish Toronto media was in Edmonton just to see their reactions tp the oilers everything lmao

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeoni View Post
    Flames tie her up with 5 seconds to go and win in a shootout. Edmonton loses 7-1. What a beautiful night. Sometimes I wish Toronto media was in Edmonton just to see their reactions tp the oilers everything lmao
    I know right? It's amazing how much the media here overreacts when the Leafs lose a couple of games badly and then try to act like they should do a proper rebuild and yet Edmonton is 5 years in and still complete shit. Oilers ownership needs to sack the clowns running the show and start over. It's time to start making some moves but they aren't going to get the players they need with those that they have, trades are going to cost them a lot.

Nice home and home sweep of Pitt by the Isles to tie them for first place in the division. Isles are scary deep for the first time since the 80's 4 lines that score will give many teams fits this year.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm actually kind of dumbfounded how the media isn't coming down on the horrible mismanagement of the Oilers team during this rebuild. It's not just the product on the ice either, from top to bottem that organization is just fucked. They didn't do anything a rebuilding team is supposed to do other than be 30th and draft the most obvious picks. Outside of Hall/Eberle/Hopkins/Nurse/Yak their cupboards are barren in terms of young talent. They have drafted like shit outside of the top 10 picks and its showing. No defensive prospects other than Nurse and Klefbom, nurse will be good but not sure about the other guy. Katz and his old Oiler bros from the 80s need to go. Why is Kevin Lowe still at the top? Why hire Mctavish to do a fuckin rebuild when he has 0 GM experience? So many questions but the media is either afraid to chew them out or just simply dont care.