15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Asera View Post
    Capitals locked up Brooks Laich for 6 years.
    Well Laich is certainly a player worth having, but $4.5/year for a 50 point player? That seems pretty damn expensive. Now all the Caps need to do is ship Green out or at least get him a defensive partner who can cover for his lolbad defense.

10+ Year Old Account
    Heard on the radio 'Nucks have resigned LaPierre for $2 mill/2 years.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoma View Post
    Heard on the radio 'Nucks have resigned LaPierre for $2 mill/2 years.
    Indeed it is true. 2 years at $1 mil per is pretty damn good. Gillis is kicking ass with his signings so far.

Pens also resigned Dupuis leaving them with around $6mil let to fill 3-4 spots.
    Last edited by conscript; 2011-06-28 at 04:16 PM.

Deleted
    Woooo kkkkkk

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    Anyone want to hear the sound of Bettman's head exploding in anger:
    http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/n...id-to-buy.html

Good old "Phoenix" Coyotes. So now there are no concrete buyers in process and the only two people in talks are Reisdorph who owns the White Sox and Bulls and who likely will want to move the team to Vegas is the chance presents itself and a mysterious third party. My money is on Glendale called Residorph and begged and the mysterious third party is the city council chair's mother.

---------- Post added 2011-06-27 at 05:43 PM ----------

I like Reimer, but then again I liked the Swedish monster, but I wouldn't slap consistent on him quite yet. Not until we see how he plays next season although I do expect him to be quite good. Toronto Maple Leafs, a 2011-2012 playoff team.

---------- Post added 2011-06-27 at 05:45 PM ----------

Also great job by the Canucks on signing Bieska on a pretty favorable deal. Only $4.6/year? Yes please.
    Maybe Gary should approach Jim and ask him to buy the Coyotes and move them to Hamilton because right now he is pretty much fucked.

---------- Post added 2011-06-28 at 01:06 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Howler View Post
    I predict the tampa bay lightning will win stanley if they keep stamkos. Mike Smith is an amazing goaltender. And of course the Avs back in the playoffs!
    Good luck signing him to what he is worth before Friday, there is no way Tampa is able to afford what he would get in offer sheets from other teams. My money is that if he doesn't get signed by Thursday, teams like Toronto will be throwing contract offers of 8-10 million a year for 10 years at him because they have the cap space and would still have room to sign other players. Tampa has like 10 million available and still need to sign a goalie, Lecavalier is on a stupidly long and unmovable contract and they need to sign some players next year as well as a goalie now.

15+ Year Old Account
    This side of an imaginary line in the sand
    Indeed it is true. 2 years at $1 mil per is pretty damn good. Gillis is kicking ass with his signings so far.

Pens also resigned Dupuis leaving them with around $6mil let to fill 3-4 spots.
    Or 1 spot if they get Jagr back. Lol.

Surprisingly, I had a dream the other night where at one point I saw a news article saying the Habs aquired Roloson when he went on RFA, and Jagr decided to go with Montreal instead of Detroit/Pittsburgh.

Ohhh if only it was true...
    red panda red panda red panda!

Talk about overpayment for Laich. The guy should make 3-3.5. Well we can cross him off the list, he was the prime candidate for the Keslers winger winger position.
    I remember it all too well

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    Good luck signing him to what he is worth before Friday, there is no way Tampa is able to afford what he would get in offer sheets from other teams. My money is that if he doesn't get signed by Thursday, teams like Toronto will be throwing contract offers of 8-10 million a year for 10 years at him because they have the cap space and would still have room to sign other players. Tampa has like 10 million available and still need to sign a goalie, Lecavalier is on a stupidly long and unmovable contract and they need to sign some players next year as well as a goalie now.
    They have $22 million in cap space with 15 under contract needing to add two goalies, probably a defenseman, and a couple forwards. They have plenty of room to resign Stamkos, who would probably be looking at getting $7.5-8.5/year from Tampa although the cap hit might be lowered by front loading the shit out of it like most major contracts now. Goalies are plentiful and cheap as shit.

I wouldn't be too worried about Stamkos being scooped up on an RFA offer sheet simply because that does not happen in the NHL with the big contract players. The penalties for doing it are far too stiff. A team that signs Stamkos to an RFA offer sheet would have to give Tampa Bay FOUR first round draft picks. The chances of that happening are incredibly slim because it is incredibly destructive to your organization's farm system.

---------- Post added 2011-06-28 at 02:02 PM ----------

Surprisingly, I had a dream the other night where at one point I saw a news article saying the Habs aquired Roloson when he went on RFA, and Jagr decided to go with Montreal instead of Detroit/Pittsburgh.

Sign Rolly and deal Price? Halak v 2.0. I assume they would keep Price in your dream scenario though lol. Frankly, they should sign Rolly or someone. Price could have used some more time off last year, not that Auld was bad at all in his 16 games.

Speaking of goalies and Tampa Bay, assuming they don't bring Rolo and Smith back, don't sleep on names like Turco, Budaj, and Auld. All three can be signed for less than $2m/year. Turco and Budaj have proven themselves as starting goalies in the past and I have a tremendous amount of love for Alex Auld. Dude was pretty good in Ottawa. There has been a lot of hubbub about Turco signing with Detroit to backstop Howard which I wouldn't mind seeing at all. As long as Turco only plays road games because he can't win in Detroit to save his life.
    Last edited by conscript; 2011-06-28 at 06:09 PM.

Anyone want to hear the sound of Bettman's head exploding in anger:
    http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/n...id-to-buy.html

Good old "Phoenix" Coyotes. So now there are no concrete buyers in process and the only two people in talks are Reisdorph who owns the White Sox and Bulls and who likely will want to move the team to Vegas is the chance presents itself and a mysterious third party. My money is on Glendale called Residorph and begged and the mysterious third party is the city council chair's mother.

---------- Post added 2011-06-27 at 05:43 PM ----------

I would love for Vegas to get a team.

I like Reimer, but then again I liked the Swedish monster, but I wouldn't slap consistent on him quite yet. Not until we see how he plays next season although I do expect him to be quite good. Toronto Maple Leafs, a 2011-2012 playoff team.

---------- Post added 2011-06-27 at 05:45 PM ----------

I feel the same way. Any goalie who can play consistently well in Toronto though, I imagine can play well during the playoffs. I'm just praying he doesn't have the Tuskala disease.

Also great job by the Canucks on signing Bieska on a pretty favorable deal. Only $4.6/year? Yes please.
    Meh, seems like he's just doing what Hossa did and signing cheaper for a chance to win the Stanley Cup. Once/If he wins his first cup I don't see him ever taking a price that low.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaucent View Post
    Heartbroken is the only word I can use to describe my feelings going into the next season. Atlanta's body is still warm and the whole league is stomping all over it as they hoist high the Winnipeg flag. Every bit of news that comes out concerning Winnipeg is a jab to the heart. The biggest insult was when they declared the Thrashers the Jets.

The Jets are in Phoenix. What a terrible thing to dress the Thrashers up in a misbegotten image of a former team that still exists. The least they could have done is come up with a new name. I just hope they don't bring back the same awful logo and colors.

Ugh.. so upset with the league. No more. I'm through.

Bettman, if you ever come to Maine, I'll find you. Count on it.
    To move a hockey team out of Atlanta this year, when there might be an NFL lockout, was just a horrible business decision for the NHL. I agree they should have sent Phoenix to Winnipeg, but still Atlanta should have gone somewhere else within two to three years if financial expectations weren't met. Just keep in mind that people from Winnipeg felt the same way when the team went to Phoenix and there is always a chance Atlanta might get another team someday.

In regards to the logo. They've stated it will not be the same.

Why would you want Roloson? He's 41 years old and he has plenty of terrible games. I'm not saying he wasn't a good goalie or he doesn't have his days, but he's too old at this point, especially for a goaltender.

---

Also, if anyone is interested in a list of Free-Agents, here you go:
    http://www.capgeek.com/free_agents.p...1&fa_type_id=2

Not nearly as good as last years list, but certainly some worthwhile talent
    Last edited by Greeney; 2011-06-28 at 06:24 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Greeney View Post

I would love for Vegas to get a team.

To move a hockey team out of Atlanta this year, when there might be an NFL lockout, was just a horrible business decision for the NHL. I agree they should have sent Phoenix to Winnipeg, but still Atlanta should have gone somewhere else within two to three years if financial expectations weren't met. Just keep in mind that people from Winnipeg felt the same way when the team went to Phoenix and there is always a chance Atlanta might get another team someday.

In regards to the logo. They've stated it will not be the same.
    I doubt Vegas will get an NHL team in the near future. From what I have read, the city got pretty thrashed by the economic slowdown and already it is so heavily based in tourism that I have a hard time seeing it not fail like all of the Southern teams put in markets without huge local fanbases.

The NFL lockout isn't going to effect the amount of games played nor was it ever going to. The deal should be hammered out in the next two weeks according to reports. No way were the NFL owners going to lose that much money. Shutting down a $10 billion industry for an entire season or even part of one would have been a historically bad idea. Phoenix should have been moved, but at least the NHL can claim they didn't because there was interest in keeping the team there by Hulsizer and the kicking and screaming Glendale was doing. Atlanta was completely indifferent to the Thrashers move. The city didn't rally to save it, no local owners stepped up. It was curtains for that franchise as soon as ASG announced they intended to sell the team. The Thrashers maybe could have picked up a little because of the NBA lockout, which is in a much more dire position than the NFL, as they play in the same building as the Hawks, but I have a hard time imagining them getting much support at all in that town.

And no, the NHL will not be back to Atlanta unless the league expands to 40 teams. Atlanta has now lost two franchises and never enjoyed support for the Thrashers. I don't think the Thrashers have been profitable except for one season in the last decade.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ed Belfour, Doug Gilmour, Joe Niewendyk and Mark Howe are being inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame.

This was Belfour's first year of eligibility to be inducted.

Eligible players not being inducted this year are Pavel Bure, Guy Carbonneau, Theoren Fluery, Phil Housley, John LeClair, Eric Lindros, Kevin Lowe and Pat Burns.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ehrhoff traded to the Isles. Does Ehrhoff want a chance to win or top dollar. Cause he ain't getting both in NYI.

---------- Post added 2011-06-29 at 01:00 AM ----------

Through his first two seasons in the NHL, Howard has been a top 10 goalie.

Oh and by the way, THAT WAS IN HIS FIRST TWO SEASONS IN THE NHL. Why are people always wrecking on Howard? His first season he is the ONLY reason the Red Wings make the playoffs due to his ridiculous play down the stretch that should have resulted in the Calder. Year two he puts up 37 wins and a 2.79 GAA good for 1 win behind the NHL leader in 9 less games than price but 3 more than Luongo and his GAA was inflated slightly because the Wings were pretty bad this year defensively without Datsyuk in the lineup for a huge chunk of the year. Their GAA went up nearly 1 goal per game without him on the ice.

@Howler: You have nothing to worry about with them keeping Stamkos. He will be there next season and for years to come.
    He had a great rookie season, and an average sophomore season. At the moment, I just see him as an above average goalie. Oh btw, remember Andrew Raycroft? He had an amazing rookie season as well.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Irony View Post
    Ehrhoff traded to the Isles. Does Ehrhoff want a chance to win or top dollar. Cause he ain't getting both in NYI.

---------- Post added 2011-06-29 at 01:00 AM ----------

He had a great rookie season, and an average sophomore season. At the moment, I just see him as an above average goalie. Oh btw, remember Andrew Raycroft? He had an amazing rookie season as well.
    Touche on Raycroft lol.

Got to love Gillis dealing Erhoff, a player who probably wanted more than he is worth, getting a free pick in the deal so the Isles can overpay Erhoff to hit the cap floor. The Isles need to sign 4-5 more players and have THIRTY MILLION DOLLARS to do it. Of that $30mil, they are going to spend ~$12 or so to hit floor half of which is going to go to inflating Erhoff's contract.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoma View Post
    Ed Belfour, Doug Gilmour, Joe Niewendyk and Mark Howe are being inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame.

This was Belfour's first year of eligibility to be inducted.

Eligible players not being inducted this year are Pavel Bure, Guy Carbonneau, Theoren Fluery, Phil Housley, John LeClair, Eric Lindros, Kevin Lowe and Pat Burns.
    I think Pat Burns will go in next year, same with Bure and Carbonneau. Niewendyk, Gilmour and Belfour were class act Leafs during their day and were the reasons why Toronto actually made it into the playoffs during the 90's, I think it's high time they got their due whether they won championships or not. I think if Bure deserves to be in the Hall of Fame, so should guys like Sundin who never won a Cup.

---------- Post added 2011-06-29 at 01:11 AM ----------

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/montreal-po...160451328.html

Rofl

15+ Year Old Account
    I am still surprised that Burns didn't get in again this year. I thought he was going to get in last season and for sure this year, but the snubs continue. I was surprised Belfour got in in his first season.

Drury got bought out by New York to the surprised of absolutely no one. That was just a terrible deal by the Rangers. Now Drury can go sign for a middle range salary on a contender and be a dominant second line player like eh was with the Avs rather than having so much expected of him in New York.

Nashville screwed up the filing of their RFA paperwork like Dave Tallon did in Chicago a couple years back, right before they fired him for it lol. So like Chicago, Nashville is probably going to expose a couple of their RFAs to the UFA market and will likely have to pay them more than they would have if they filed their qualifying offers properly. I am sure all of them will be back with the Preds though as the only one who is going to get a lot of attention is Kostitsyn.

15+ Year Old Account
    This side of an imaginary line in the sand
    Habs just traded Wisnewski to the Blue Jackets.
    red panda red panda red panda!

Quote Originally Posted by Greeney View Post

Meh, seems like he's just doing what Hossa did and signing cheaper for a chance to win the Stanley Cup. Once/If he wins his first cup I don't see him ever taking a price that low.
    Nah, Bieksa is a heart and soul kind of guy. Him, Kesler, Raymond, Burrows all went through the Canuck system together. He has much more of a emotional connection to this team than say Ehrhoff. The chance to win a cup is a big deal, but he's also a Canuck through and through.
    I remember it all too well

15+ Year Old Account
    Habs just traded Wisnewski to the Blue Jackets.
    Only his negotiating rights which expire in 2 days anyways. I really don't expect him to sign there unless they massively overpay him. No way is he going to want to go to a non-competitive team that is on the verge of having relocation conversations unless the ship is righted this year.

The Wiz will be a Wing damn it.

Speaking of Wings, The Panthers signed Tomas Kopecky to a contract after getting his rights from the Blackhawks for a 7th rounder.

They paid $12 million/4 years. That sound you might have just heard was me literally falling out of my computer chair laughing. He went from making $1.2mil to $3 mil per year. So in order to reach the cap floor this offseason, the Panthers just overpaid Kopecky by probably about $1 mil per year. And we wonder why the Florida Panthers have basically 0 fans, are likely going to move in the near future, and have a revolving door of coaches each season. All because the owner puts no money into the team more than he absolutely has to and still loses money like crazy.

---------- Post added 2011-06-29 at 03:33 PM ----------

The Panthers really need to trade Weiss for Heatley or some other player that makes way more than they are worth. Weiss would be fucking incredible on a team that actually had good players.

---------- Post added 2011-06-29 at 04:03 PM ----------

Paul Kariya retired. Used to love him and Selanne with the Ducks.

---------- Post added 2011-06-29 at 04:07 PM ----------

Also Tampa brought back Rollie the Goalie for another season.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by conscript;12057517[COLOR=red

[/COLOR]Also Tampa brought back Rollie the Goalie for another season.
    man hes an old man now.

15+ Year Old Account
    Rofl. The Islanders traded Erhoff's rights to the Sabres. Erhoff probably made it pretty clear he had no intention of signing with the lolanders and wanted to go to a contender. Buffalo is also rumored to be the top landing spot for Brad Richards right now. Sabres gonna be good if they add Erhoff and Richards.

---------- Post added 2011-06-29 at 09:36 PM ----------

Holy shit. The Flyers are actually considering tendering an offer to Steve Stamkos if he isn't signed by Friday. Reportedly the offer sheet would be for 12 years at $115 million with a cap hit of 9.58 million which Tampa almost certainly can't match. The Flyers would have to give up their 2012, 2013, 2014, and 2015 first round picks to do it and would absolutely need to dump salary somewhere. Right now they have $8 million and change to sign 4 players. If they sign Simmonds he will cost probably $1.5m. Carcillo is certainly gone if they sign Simmonds. They will almost certainly sign Voracek which should be in the $1.5-1.75 area. Which basically leave Leino as a FA unless he signs for cheap. The Flyers will stilll need to cut 4-5 million to afford that Stamkos deal which would mean shipping out Bobrovsky, likely to Florida to replace Vokoun and to help them reach the floor, and then sign a back up dirt cheap. Then they would have to get rid of Mezaros or Versteeg. Hartnall would be a candidate if he didn't have a NMC.

Can't wait to see how that goes down. No one ever poaches RFAs in the NFL, especially not cap strained teams like the Flyers. It would be nuts if they did, but there aren't many better players to do something like that for than Stamkos. I would love for the Wings to poach some RFA just to be a dick. They never use their first roudn picks anyways. They have traded out of the first in three or four of the last six years.

---------- Post added 2011-06-29 at 09:40 PM ----------

Fucking hilarious
    http://video.thescore.com/watch/hoth...-state-of-mind