Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Side grade to be honest. Age difference aside, Ribiero is miles more consistent production wise, Grabs can't maintain consistent production very well, he is actually worse then Kessel in that regard and people consider him a streaky scorer. I doubt Grabs ever has another season like he did a few years ago though.

Overall, I'd say Grabovski is better than Ribiero, but purely based on offense, ya, Ribiero is better.

10+ Year Old Account
    St. Louis has now jumped on the wagon with Nashville to keep Hawks fans away, im sure all the Bar owners are thrilled about this. I hate the new Central already.

Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    Nothing like stupid PR moves that do nothing more than damage local businesses who see an increase in business at hotels, restaurants, and bars when those out of towners swarm them and Preds fans who want to buy tickets to see a division rival. Stupid move all around that does absolutely nothing beneficial on the ice. So dumb.
    Damn completely forgot to check this thread with all the FF14 stuff going on so realize this is a bit late.

The move won't hurt sales at all to these games as people will just pick another game they would really like to see to go with it, its not like Chicago is the only decent team coming into the city all season. It might be a prick to hotels, but odds are that will be easily made up and then some with the new convention center being open, as far as the rest of the businesses around there, it won't be a factor. Keep in mind Nashville isn't a one trick pony, and most of those businesses rely on Country music tourists more so than hockey games.

Lets not sit around and act like the Preds only sell tickets because someone blesses us with an appearance, those days have been gone for quite a while now. The biggest boom to the Preds has been the Titans sucking ass, not some great hockey rivalry.

Also this move is nothing new, LA did the same thing years ago when they played Detroit so I don't think it really matters. Its such a hot topic for Preds fans that not a single post was made about it on the message boards.

As far as the team goes, its a hot mess right now. TBH we can't even figure out a line up that makes sense with us having so many natural centers on the team at the moment. Everyone is quietly optimistic about making the playoffs, but aren't really expecting much more than that.

Its really going to swing on the backs of a couple guys. Rinne obviously has to come back strong from surgery. Weber has to be great. We need Wilson, Smith, Stalberg, Forsberg and Hornqvist to put the puck in the net like they have the ability to do. We need Jones to be at least mediocre and get some decent ice time on the 2nd or third pairing.

This season could either be pretty decent or completely horrible depending on what the youngsters and guys whose time it is to step up actually do.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Garbles View Post
    St. Louis has now jumped on the wagon with Nashville to keep Hawks fans away, im sure all the Bar owners are thrilled about this. I hate the new Central already.
    I'm not sure why you keep thinking its going to hurt the local businesses. Those tickets will get sold whether or not its to a Chicago fan, its just that the Chicago fan is either now going to have to get it from a Preds/Blues fan or something like stub hub. The only person or business it hurts is the Chicago fans, which is kind of the point.
    Last edited by Armourboy; 2013-08-24 at 08:12 AM.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Ottawa was trying that shit first, and yet their fans continue to be outnumbered by Leafs fans in their own building when they are in town for a game. Maybe the Sens organization should accept that there are more Toronto fans in Ottawa the there are Ottawa fans.

Ottawa is at a serious disadvantage, though. They didn't exist again until 93 or whatever, so they have generations of Leafs/Habs fans in their territory. When I was at UWO, there were 4 guys from the Ottawa area on my floor as a freshman, and not a single Sens fan among them (all born in 86/87) or any of their friends back home. They were right at the perfect age to become Sens fans with the team's creation, and even they didn't want to.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Armourboy View Post
    I'm not sure why you keep thinking its going to hurt the local businesses. Those tickets will get sold whether or not its to a Chicago fan, its just that the Chicago fan is either now going to have to get it from a Preds/Blues fan or something like stub hub. The only person or business it hurts is the Chicago fans, which is kind of the point.
    I never said it would hurt them, but those Bars and Hotels will lose opportunity from the Hawks fans that don't end up going. I mean, Bears fans literally ran Nashville out of beer with their road trip. I know the tickets will be sold, but those Hotels/Bars/etc lose opportunity, thats all.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by VanillaO View Post
    Ottawa is at a serious disadvantage, though. They didn't exist again until 93 or whatever, so they have generations of Leafs/Habs fans in their territory. When I was at UWO, there were 4 guys from the Ottawa area on my floor as a freshman, and not a single Sens fan among them (all born in 86/87) or any of their friends back home. They were right at the perfect age to become Sens fans with the team's creation, and even they didn't want to.
    Probably because the franchise has yet to ice a team that can win them fan recognition. Leafs and Habs fans exist because of history and family members being fans. It's probably easier being an expansion team in Canada where most of us love hockey, but getting that fan loyalty comes from history and winning championships. I am sure Ottawa will win the hearts of other fans in the city if they win a Cup before Toronto does.

Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    Ottawa was trying that shit first, and yet their fans continue to be outnumbered by Leafs fans in their own building when they are in town for a game. Maybe the Sens organization should accept that there are more Toronto fans in Ottawa the there are Ottawa fans.
    Having lived in Ottawa, and going to many games, the reason leaf fans are so plentiful is because the tickets + a room with a few buddies is cheaper than just tickets for a game in Toronto. Add in the fact that Ottawa and Toronto are rivals and it makes sense to drive to Ottawa for a game.

It's not really Ottawa citizens who are Toronto fans. It's Toronto Citizens saving money.

Quote Originally Posted by Garbles View Post
    I never said it would hurt them, but those Bars and Hotels will lose opportunity from the Hawks fans that don't end up going. I mean, Bears fans literally ran Nashville out of beer with their road trip. I know the tickets will be sold, but those Hotels/Bars/etc lose opportunity, thats all.
    Hotels maybe, the rest of it not so much. Those bars and restaurants are hoping whether Chicago is in town or not. Its not like Bears/Blackhawks fans are the only ones who drink beer :P

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't see why its necessary to explain the concept of the tourist industry

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    Well Ottawa is absolutely stupid for doing something like that anyways. They have lost $94 million over the last decade according to the Sun because of how terribly managed that organization is. If your owner is in such bad shape financially that people associated with him are hacking bloggers who write about the financial disarray of the franchise, you might need to just focus on selling tickets, not controlling who can and can't attend games.

15+ Year Old Account
    Time to update the title to 13-14, aye?
    "There are two types of guys in this world. Guys who sniff their fingers after scratching their balls, and dirty fucking liars." -StylesClashv3
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    Not finding-a-cock-on-your-girlfriend-is-normal level of odd, but nevertheless, still odd.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Toxigen View Post
    Time to update the title to 13-14, aye?
    I'm still not comfortable that Bettman won't drop a lockout out of nowhere. Have a month or however long until the season becomes official.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Armourboy View Post
    Damn completely forgot to check this thread with all the FF14 stuff going on so realize this is a bit late.

The move won't hurt sales at all to these games as people will just pick another game they would really like to see to go with it, its not like Chicago is the only decent team coming into the city all season. It might be a prick to hotels, but odds are that will be easily made up and then some with the new convention center being open, as far as the rest of the businesses around there, it won't be a factor. Keep in mind Nashville isn't a one trick pony, and most of those businesses rely on Country music tourists more so than hockey games.
    Nashville is still in the lower third in terms of attendance; a majority of Hawks will still buy their tickets from stubhub or whatever, but undoubtedly less Hawks fans will be at the game because of this (it couldn't possibly make it so more or at the game), so attendance will be slightly worse for these games meaning less money for the building/team. And for what purpose? Unless you are saying even with any dip in numbers from Hawks fans they will still sell out these games? Which I think is impossible considering they didn't sell out a single game last year (at least legitimately, without giving away tickets per this article)

Bottom line, for a team already struggling in the attendance department, it is going to hurt those numbers (even though it will be slightly) for no reason whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    I'm still not comfortable that Bettman won't drop a lockout out of nowhere. Have a month or however long until the season becomes official.
    How about 2013 NHL Preseason?

We still have 2013-2014 Training Camp and 2013-2014 Obviously Meaningful Preseason Games titles to go before we get to the season title ;D

I also fully expect in February for the thread to become the '2014 Sochi Winter Games NHL Break Thread'

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by VanillaO View Post
    We still have 2013-2014 Training Camp and 2013-2014 Obviously Meaningful Preseason Games titles to go before we get to the season title ;D

I also fully expect in February for the thread to become the '2014 Sochi Winter Games NHL Break Thread'
    If this thread is titled that during the Olympics I am going to flood the hell out of it with Curling posts. It better be "2014 Olympic Hockey Thread" or something specific.

Curling is the only thing I will miss about boycotting the Sotji-events.
    I'd been looking forward to it.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    Curling is the only thing I will miss about boycotting the Sotji-events.
    I'd been looking forward to it.
    Ya it is the only time I get to watch curling in the US. I'm not even going to get into the whole boycott the Olympics stuff or it will get ugly in here. I am with you though as I will be watching almost nothing through legal means so not a dime of my money goes to advertisers, NBC, or anyone affiliated with this whole matter and I am all about the Olympics normally.