Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Skate away. I can understand the initial defensive swing as as he's trying to escape, it's continuing to swing his stick at Scott that's the problem.

- - - Updated - - -

Honestly, he wouldn't even look like a weeny. He'd just look like a guy that's smart enough to not fight John Scott for no particular reason.
    Far too often during his time with the Leafs has Kessel been criticized by the fans and the media for being a soft player, a guy who doesn't back check, a guy who doesn't finish checks or play an aggressive game. I think he is trying to prove that he isn't that kind of player, it only took Carlyle to get him to play with an edge and still be an elite scorer while not being a total defensive liability. Other players also see him and the Leafs as more of a threat then in years past. And of course, it's the Leafs, the most popular team in North America when it comes to being a recognized brand with fans all across this continent and in other parts of the world, of course other players are going to try and go after our stars.
    Last edited by Rennadrel; 2013-09-26 at 11:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    Far too often during his time with the Leafs has Kessel been criticized by the fans and the media for being a soft player, a guy who doesn't back check, a guy who doesn't finish checks or play an aggressive game. I think he is trying to prove that he isn't that kind of player, it only took Carlyle to get him to play with an edge and still be an elite scorer while not being a total defensive liability.
    I literally couldn't think of a worse way to show grit than to meekly slap at Scott with a stick.

Quote Originally Posted by Skippy88 View Post
    He was asking the media what would you do in that situation? My only thought is if you have the guts instead of trying to win just tie him up, or fight him knowing your going to get the piss beat out of you, or fall to the floor and hope the refs intervene before too many punches are thrown.
    I would personally not double-handedly slash someone that is being held up by two other guys, that's for sure.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    No, most players wouldn't. Kessel lost his cool and I think that is part of the problem, he deserved to get suspended for the second slash. That said, Scott was being a douche, Rolston getting fined does nothing, and it sets a precedent that goons can go after star players.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    I really just think the worst part about the whole situation is he didn't even get to him. Phil easily could have skated away since you know, Scott can hardly skate. He just looks like a little dickhead swinging his stick around like that. I hate Phil Kessel the person but Phil Kessel the player is alright. Also when did he reach untouchable status?

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Honestly, I'm not mad about the incident or anything, I just think the NHL's penalties handed out are a complete fucking joke.
    That's something new?

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeoni View Post
    I really just think the worst part about the whole situation is he didn't even get to him. Phil easily could have skated away since you know, Scott can hardly skate. He just looks like a little dickhead swinging his stick around like that. I hate Phil Kessel the person but Phil Kessel the player is alright. Also when did he reach untouchable status?
    A guy who consistently puts up 30 goal and 50+ point seasons, especially on what was a crap roster up until a couple of years ago, should be untouchable. But if goons are going to try and go after our star players, I have no problem with Colton Orr and Fraser McLaren going after guys like Crosby with some level of maliciousness.

You want stars to be untouchable, you start sending out goons to defend them. A checking line shouldn't be negated by putting out your first line so everyone's scared to hit them or try to start a fight. I can only assume this was off some sort of icing that saw Kessel and four midgets get stuck there, because there's no other way he should have been sent out against that line without someone to protect him.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, speaking of hockey, are we by any chance doing the fantasy league again this year?

10+ Year Old Account
    Longest 4 days of my life...

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Garbles View Post
    Longest 4 days of my life...
    Queue F Tee!
    "There are two types of guys in this world. Guys who sniff their fingers after scratching their balls, and dirty fucking liars." -StylesClashv3
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    Not finding-a-cock-on-your-girlfriend-is-normal level of odd, but nevertheless, still odd.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Well Wings fans, I hope your team can play with this much intensity for a whole season.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm doing a work pool and thinking of taking Kessel or one of the Sedins if I have a late round pick, comments?

is a cap pool too, so I gotta be wise about $s

Kessel can go either way. His numbers aren't really impressive, league-wide, albeit being best in his team; I'm not sure if that accounts for something.

Sedin's are reliable, Henrik moreso, have been reliable around PPG since the full-lockout but only ~3 seasons a fair bit above it.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    I expect the Sedin twins will be less productive under Tortorella to be honest.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Plus they'll be blocking shots so anything can happen there. I think I'm gonna go with Phil in the 2nd round and a big production player 1st

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    lolz http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/p...-indefinitely/

Enjoy your 7 million dollar liability some more Pens fans.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    lolz http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/p...-indefinitely/

Enjoy your 7 million dollar liability some more Pens fans.
    because they should've used that money to grossly overpay a mediocre free agent who is going to be suspended for the first 10 games of the season?

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    because they should've used that money to grossly overpay a mediocre free agent who is going to be suspended for the first 10 games of the season?
    Look, I don't agree with what Clarkson did. In fact, I think it was fucking retarded that he left the bench. Clarkson got paid what he was worth, other teams were offering him more which shows you just how shit the free agent market is as well as how screwed up player value numbers are right now. I wouldn't pay Letang 7 million dollars to be the defensive liability he is, he only compensates that amount of suck by racking up lots of points, but that doesn't change the fact that he is a shitty blue liner. People say Phaneuf is overpaid, Letang is miles worse defensively and the only thing he has going for him is his offensive game, which ironically enough, is not what defensemen are for.

Clarkson got paid what he was worth. Other teams were offering him more which shows you just how shit the free agent market is as well as how screwed up player value numbers are right now.

Stop and think about that for a second, Renn.. what draynay said was funny and very true. Seriously, when was the last time a guy who has never cracked 50 points got 5M a year? He is going to be making as much money as Lupul. He is going to be making as much money as Krejci. He is going to be making as much money as Yandle (who, hilariously, has put up more than 50 points in a season as a defenseman). This guy is worth 3.5M a season tops, even when you take the 'grit' factor into account. Unless he winds up averaging 60 points a year for the first 5 years of this contract, it will be overpaying. That being said, as of right NOW, it is grossly overpaying.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Flames grab Joe Colborne from the Leafs for a 4th in 2014. Thanks Burke, I think. Played vs him way back in community hockey for a couple years.
    Last edited by Zeoni; 2013-09-29 at 05:20 AM.