15+ Year Old Account
    This side of an imaginary line in the sand
    Round 3... Phoenix/LA and Washington/Philadelphia?

This is the strangest playoffs yet, but honestly, it will be nice to see a franchise get it's first Stanley Cup win (I don't think Philadelpha could outplay either of those Western teams TBH). Even if it isn't Washington... although I am obviously hopeful!
    red panda red panda red panda!

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Playoffs should be irrelevant when talking about the team MVP. The guy who has the most impact on your team's roster is your MVP nomination, every team gets one submitted. It's hard to argue who truly deserves it, but Stamkos did make the Lightning a better team alone, there isn't a doubt that he was their team MVP. But when Malkin and Crosby were both down and out, look at who stepped up on the Penguins roster? Staal really stepped up his game when the fear was that the season was going to go south without Crosby and Malkin. James Neil is another guy who I'd say not only had a career year, but kept the team rolling along and winning games.

15+ Year Old Account
    Chat's up early for those interested.

http://webchat.quakenet.org/?channels=#mmoc-hockey

I'll actually be around tonight, talking nonsense and derailing as usual!

10+ Year Old Account
    next time they won't go drinking till 4am

15+ Year Old Account
    Once again.. Chat is up!

Hello, hello
    (Hola!)
    I'm at a place called http://webchat.quakenet.org/?channels=#mmoc-hockey
    (Dónde está!)

10+ Year Old Account
    Really can't believe what's happening in the Nashville/Phoenix series. I strongly feel that Nashville is the better team just like I thought even with our shitty goaltending and inconsistent defense that we were the better team.

Maybe this is out of line but I kinda wonder if Gary Butt-man and his cronies aren't up to something to try and create hype for Phoenix so that they can sell the team or something.

15+ Year Old Account
    1-0 Flyers.

C'mon. Jump into chat!

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Van Riemsdyk is looking good so far in this series

Quote Originally Posted by Taros View Post
    Really can't believe what's happening in the Nashville/Phoenix series. I strongly feel that Nashville is the better team just like I thought even with our shitty goaltending and inconsistent defense that we were the better team.

Maybe this is out of line but I kinda wonder if Gary Butt-man and his cronies aren't up to something to try and create hype for Phoenix so that they can sell the team or something.
    Nah in this cause its just us playing bad, apparently because we decided even though we lost game one, we could win game 2 with a hangover and little sleep. At least AK didn't take SK down with him this go around. I hope Weber and Suter put their collective feet in Rads' behind, considering they were the ones that want him back so dang much.

Hopefully being at home and bringing a couple guys off the bench that really want to prove themselves will spark the guys. I guess we see now if we could of gone very far with the team we had before the trade deadline, at least I know those guys left played with some damn heart.

15+ Year Old Account

I haven't thought Nashville was the better team in this series for more than about 30 seconds. Chicago, ya at times they looked like the better team in some aspects, but I haven't felt that way at all about Nashville. This is the same Nashville that showed up in the Detroit series only Rinne played out of his mind and the Wings couldn't capitalize on any chances. Detroit looked like the better team in 85% of that series and it netted them exactly one win lol. Phoenix is capitalizing on their chances and Rinne looks completely mortal out there.

I'd buy Bettman interference if the penalties were way out of whack, but they aren't at all. Phoenix doesn't have any sort of significant PP advantage. You would never ever be able to have him influence actual on ice play outside of the refs though. There is almost no hope of an entire team, let alone four teams for the Cup win, folding and letting their opponents win a series. Last time something like that happened was the Black Sox in 1919 in order to make money off bets and it ended up with eight players banned for life, including a Shoeloss Joe Jackson one of the stars of that era. You could never convince an entire team to throw a series in the NHL especially when they have absolutely nothing to gain from it.

Wouldn't it be absolutely hilarious, and I mean mindblowingly amazing hilarious best thing ever in sports, if the Yotes won the Cup, still weren't able to find a buyer, and relocated to Quebec at the start of next season? Could you imagine the Cup winner relocating the year after it wins the Cup?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    Wouldn't it be absolutely hilarious, and I mean mindblowingly amazing hilarious best thing ever in sports, if the Yotes won the Cup, still weren't able to find a buyer, and relocated to Quebec at the start of next season? Could you imagine the Cup winner relocating the year after it wins the Cup?
    Although I don't want Phoenix to win the cup, I hope they make the finals so that the cup might be won in Phoenix, just to see if the crowd boos Bettman.

"We don't want this team!"
    "We aren't viable!"
    "Just because we made the finals doesn't mean you were right!"

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd love to see Phoenix win just to see how many "Suns are number 1" signs are in the crowd during the parade and people constantly wondering if Steve Nash put on weight.
    You can tell WoW changed the MMO for good when players started complaining about the amount of time they sink, into a time sink.

Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    I haven't thought Nashville was the better team in this series for more than about 30 seconds. Chicago, ya at times they looked like the better team in some aspects, but I haven't felt that way at all about Nashville. This is the same Nashville that showed up in the Detroit series only Rinne played out of his mind and the Wings couldn't capitalize on any chances. Detroit looked like the better team in 85% of that series and it netted them exactly one win lol. Phoenix is capitalizing on their chances and Rinne looks completely mortal out there.

I'd buy Bettman interference if the penalties were way out of whack, but they aren't at all. Phoenix doesn't have any sort of significant PP advantage. You would never ever be able to have him influence actual on ice play outside of the refs though. There is almost no hope of an entire team, let alone four teams for the Cup win, folding and letting their opponents win a series. Last time something like that happened was the Black Sox in 1919 in order to make money off bets and it ended up with eight players banned for life, including a Shoeloss Joe Jackson one of the stars of that era. You could never convince an entire team to throw a series in the NHL especially when they have absolutely nothing to gain from it.

Meh the longer this thing goes on the more people are finding out ( and I'm betting Weber and Sutter are too) that the moves we made looked great on paper, actually looked like it filled the holes we needed to fill, problem is these guys have ended up bringing their pre-madonna attitudes from Russia and Montreal. To go along with it you had some guys that got benched to play these two, so thats gotta make things even more stressed. I think we are starting to figure out that the problems SK's had in Montreal never were his or Montreal's, it was AK screwing it up.

Personally I send them both home, tell them they can booze it up for the rest of the playoffs wherever they like, but it ain't gonna be with this team. Then I would walk in to practice, tell the guys I got two spots open, and whoever wants to play hard gets the spots.

Our biggest nightmare with all of these additions was that we would lose our identity, and that is pretty much what is happening. I personally feel like now we had alot of the same problems in the Detroit series, Rinne just covered them up.
    Last edited by Armourboy; 2012-05-02 at 02:34 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Come on guys lets not get ahead of ourselves here.... its obviously going to be LA vs WSH in the final and WSH will obvi come out with the cup just because. #keepthewinterclassictrendgoing

I didnt get to watch much of the game at the gym (my eyes are meh) but what the hell happened flyers, damn. Looked good first period then apparently it all went down hill from there. Oh well, I should have tickets to game 5 now.

The Flyers played like a really strong first 10 minutes, then they settled down. The second was the worst full period of playoff hockey I've seen in a long time, they almost went the full 20 minutes without taking a single shot (think it ended up being like 1 or 2 shots in the last minute).

Even after all that, they still led 1 to 0. For once, Bryzgalov completely carried them. The other fives guys on the ice can't play 50 minutes of hockey like they just downed a fistfull of sleeping pills and expect to win, though. How embarrassing.

Honestly, I get the impression they were already mentally looking onward to the next series. At least that would make sense. It was a wakeup call, and I still expect them to beat the Devils.

“There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so.”

15+ Year Old Account

Bettman has already had 4-5 people want to buy the team. his friggen issue is he doesnt want to move it out of Phoenix and is willing to wait to hold it in Phoenix. stupid if you ask me. let someone buy it and move it to Seatle or something.

15+ Year Old Account
    This side of an imaginary line in the sand
    Quote Originally Posted by marcelos11 View Post
    Bettman has already had 4-5 people want to buy the team. his friggen issue is he doesnt want to move it out of Phoenix and is willing to wait to hold it in Phoenix. stupid if you ask me. let someone buy it and move it to Seatle or something.
    Seattle would be an ideal market, since Vancouver really doesn't have a true rival besides the two bad Alberta teams in their division, Chicago because they like to knock them out of the post season, and Boston because of last year.

There is definitely a rival feel between Vancouver and Seattle city wise.
    red panda red panda red panda!

10+ Year Old Account
    And if tickets are cheap, great place for 'Nucks road games

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Armourboy View Post
    Meh the longer this thing goes on the more people are finding out ( and I'm betting Weber and Sutter are too) that the moves we made looked great on paper, actually looked like it filled the holes we needed to fill, problem is these guys have ended up bringing their pre-madonna attitudes from Russia and Montreal. To go along with it you had some guys that got benched to play these two, so thats gotta make things even more stressed. I think we are starting to figure out that the problems SK's had in Montreal never were his or Montreal's, it was AK screwing it up.

Personally I send them both home, tell them they can booze it up for the rest of the playoffs wherever they like, but it ain't gonna be with this team. Then I would walk in to practice, tell the guys I got two spots open, and whoever wants to play hard gets the spots.

Our biggest nightmare with all of these additions was that we would lose our identity, and that is pretty much what is happening. I personally feel like now we had alot of the same problems in the Detroit series, Rinne just covered them up.
    Those moves were wildly overblown in the media for sure. Gill is decent, but he is also 37, injury prone, and hasn't been a substantial defenseman in awhile. AK brought mad baggage. A lot of people criticized that move when it was made. Trying to get Radulov re-initiated into the NHL after playing in the KHL for the last couple years was going to be incredibly tough. The NHL is far better than the KHL so there was no way he was going to just be plugged in and be dominant. He never seemed like the most mature guy with his whole handling of his contract with the Preds and his move to the KHL.

---------- Post added 2012-05-02 at 08:44 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by marcelos11 View Post
    Last I heard there were half a dozen buyers or more interested in purchasing the team, paying a fat relocation cost, and moving the franchise to Seattle, Quebec, Hamilton, and other Ontario locations. Six guys or more just sitting there trying to give him a briefcase filled with money and he won't take it for two reasons:
    1) Phoenix is a big US market for TV money (which is such a misnomer since they are never, ever, ever high in the tv ratings for the finals)
    2) Expansion fees are far larger than relocation fees. Why move the Yotes to Quebec or Seattle when they can expand to 32 in 3-4 years and make roughly $600-800 million off two expansion fees?
    Bonus) The Glendale City Council keeps handing the NHL checks for $25 million per year to keep that team there which covers a healthy portion of their losses making it worthwhile for the NHL to drag its feet to keep expansion fees possible from Seattle, Quebec, and Ontario.

This week you have two conflicting stories about Phoenix. Firstly, according to the Phoenix Business Journal, the NHL and Jamison are in the final stages of working out a deal and it could be voted on as soon as May 8th. Secondly, you have a report from CBC that it is a done deal that the Coyotes are going to be elsewhere next season either as a relocation or they would literally fold the franchise and expand to Quebec therefore charging the new owners in Quebec a full expansion fee rather than simply relocating the Yotes.

So in short, no one knows what the hell is going on, not even the guys who put on the Yotes jersey and go out and give it their all every night. Fucking pathetic.
    Last edited by conscript; 2012-05-02 at 12:50 PM.