10+ Year Old Account
    4 years 30M? LOL. He wants 7.5M per season? Well good luck with that Doan. I figured he'd want his normal 5M, not a pay raise after his worst season in 10 years.
    You can tell WoW changed the MMO for good when players started complaining about the amount of time they sink, into a time sink.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't see how a team could rationalize spending that much on that player

Jagr cost 4.5mil, Whitney got 2years 9mil

granted those guys are older than Doan, but the going price for a veteran wing seems to be in that $4.5-5 million range which seems pretty reasonable for a 20goal 50point 2nd line wing with Doan's experience

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Irony View Post
    4 years 30M? LOL. He wants 7.5M per season? Well good luck with that Doan. I figured he'd want his normal 5M, not a pay raise after his worst season in 10 years.
    If someone gives him that the owners will officially have no support at all for their CBA demands.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Am I the only one who could care less what the players do and/or say off the ice? Maybe because I'm Canadian and people's political views don't really stray me much. There just seems to be so many people that are so upset with the guy when it's obvious he's just sort of looking for attention. Who cares, he's an incredible goalie who brought a cup to Boston (I doubt they beat Montrael, Tampa, or Vancouver with whoever would be in instead of him to be honest). His future with the Bruins basically depends on how Raskk handles being the #1 guy and I'm assuming someone will pick him up when he decides to return if he doesn't retire. We've seen goalies are quite durable as far as age goes.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeoni View Post
    Am I the only one who could care less what the players do and/or say off the ice? Maybe because I'm Canadian and people's political views don't really stray me much. There just seems to be so many people that are so upset with the guy when it's obvious he's just sort of looking for attention. Who cares, he's an incredible goalie who brought a cup to Boston (I doubt they beat Montrael, Tampa, or Vancouver with whoever would be in instead of him to be honest). His future with the Bruins basically depends on how Raskk handles being the #1 guy and I'm assuming someone will pick him up when he decides to return if he doesn't retire. We've seen goalies are quite durable as far as age goes.
    honestly it doesnt bother me for the most part. now if there doing/saying stupid shit or have serious issues (one big thing for me is people who hate those who serve in the military.)

Man Weber was a bargain then if Doan is worth 7.5 mil a season lol

15+ Year Old Account
    If you want to be an extremist, tea party, birther, "Obama is a secret Muslim," nutjob conservative go ahead, but I'm sorry Thomas burned every bridge he had when he refused to go to the White House. I don't care what your political beliefs are you do not refuse a Presidential invitation for being the Stanley Cup winner based on your political beliefs and you don't justify it by releasing a statement that does nothing but slam the President. Throw that on top of his vocal support for anti-homosexuality and just fuck that guy. And frankly I think his days in the NHL are done. Few times want to take a flier on an aged goalie. Even fewer want to take a flier on a guy that is absolutely hated in the media now. Thomas made himself a story. Teams hate that more than almost anything else. You don't want to turn your team into a source of derision for equality groups by hiring him which is exactly what will happen the minute someone brings him back. There will be protestors outside every single game he plays in. There will be dozens of news stories about the team in a negative light thanks to that and Thomas' past.

I don't think Thomas retired for one season without reason. Frankly I think Boston went to him and told him he flat out wasn't coming back next season and that they would do anything they could to get rid of him. I honestly think they would have done it earlier in the year if they could have and avoided making a story of it. You just do not do what Thomas did in spurning the White House. It tarnishes the image of the Bruins organization for not being prepared for that. Had the Bruins known he was going to go full on stupid about Obama they would have told him to stay home and he could have claimed family commitment or something for skipping the trip. Instead his stupidity caught everyone off-guard and made them look bad which I'm sure angered the management in Boston.
    Last edited by conscript; 2012-07-28 at 11:13 AM.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sykol View Post
    So apparently Tim Thomas doesn't like blacks or gays. All he needs to do now is post a picture of him beating his wife and he'll be the first goalie with a hat trick.
    Yeah the whole Chick Filay (or however you spell it) story was fucking hilarious. Glad the mayor of Boston stood up for his city and for his beliefs and told that redneck homophobe who runs the company to stay the fuck outta the city.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah I guess the way I'm looking at it is that there would be no White House invite without Tim Thomas. Suppose the performance of a player is never greater than the image he casts over a team. I don't support his views, I just think he's an awesome and entertaining goalie and don't exactly read much past that. The Bruins better hope Rask performs to the level that they think he will because without solid goal tending in the East, it's gonna be tough to manage.

10+ Year Old Account
    I wouldn't be surprised if Boston treated this like how Dallas treated Avery. Boston doesn't want a media storm/fan backlash by kicking the guy off the team, but don't want the face of their organization to be some vocal tea party nut job, who wants attention.
    You can tell WoW changed the MMO for good when players started complaining about the amount of time they sink, into a time sink.

Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    Yeah the whole Chick Filay (or however you spell it) story was fucking hilarious. Glad the mayor of Boston stood up for his city and for his beliefs and told that redneck homophobe who runs the company to stay the fuck outta the city.
    It's very clear that he's an embarrassment to his (ex) teammates, and is highly unlikely to play here again. You had a good run in the Cup year Tim, but really.... I don't think there are many people who care what your political stance is, especially when it gets in the way of you doing what you're paid to do.. and it very clearly did, starting with the white house fiasco. Hopefully he gets dropped by Boston so they save that 5 mill that he's costing them.

I wouldn't be surprised if Boston treated this like how Dallas treated Avery. Boston doesn't want a media storm/fan backlash by kicking the guy off the team, but don't want the face of their organization to be some vocal tea party nut job, who wants attention.
    Wait, I've been out of the loop, didn't Thomas walk off a month or so back?
    I remember it all too well

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xevan View Post
    Wait, I've been out of the loop, didn't Thomas walk off a month or so back?
    Ya but he is still under contract with Boston technically and plan to come back following next season. Year after next, or even this year if he changes his mind, there is no way they will take him back. His retirement is exactly like Michael Jordan's one year retirement back in the day. Jordan's was in his peak which made is bizarre that he would step away but it is widely believed it was actually a forced retirement in place of suspending him for the entire year for his gambling problems. Instead of the commissioner pushing the player to take a year away, it was likely Boston's owners telling him we don't want you back.

10+ Year Old Account
    well Jordan's father had just been murdered, meanwhile Thomas is just a dumbass, so there are differences

10+ Year Old Account
    Apparently Doan will only sign on with Phoenix, Carolina, Pittsburgh and New York Rangers. Carolina is apparently willing to give him 4 years at 30M, which is where that amount came from (Which makes more sense than Doan actually thinking he's worth 7.5M a season). I'm thinking he signs in New York for around 10M 2 years and hopefully wins a cup.

So Detroit swings and misses again. Glad Holland passed on everyone in an attempt to sign a 35 year old who wasn't even guaranteed to walk from his old team. Could of had Semin for 2 years 10M... But nope... God I hope Brunner turns out to be fantastic.

15+ Year Old Account
    Okay, WTF is Carolina doing? Since when are they a cash rich team that can spend like this? They have a hell of a team if they pull off adding Doan. Looking forward to the inevitable Pittsburgh Carolina ECF after the Rangers choke.

Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    Okay, WTF is Carolina doing? Since when are they a cash rich team that can spend like this?
    Somewhere between New Jersey picking up Kovalchuk and Nashville resigning Weber.
    [Though, I do appreciate that the owners of these teams seem to put integrity of their team over money.]

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Too bad they can't seem to find a defense man. Carolina's D is okay but it needs a piece or two for them to contend with some of the scoring power in the East. With how Cam Ward looked at the IIHF and really since the Canes won the cup I'm a bit skeptical if they can even be a contender. They're going to steamroll that division for certain if they sign Doan but I can't see them being competitive past the second round. Ward just hasn't really impressed me much especially in the last 2 years. Granted I don't see a boatload of Canes games so my opinion isn't 100% accurate.

Another concern I have is for Canada's goalies for the next Olympics. It just seems like we don't have that 1 guy who is a cut above the rest. American goalies these days are so good I don't know if Canada will be able to compete. With Quick, Miller, Thomas (I know), Cory Schneider all viable as the starter the Canadian guys just pale in comparison. At this current moment I'd like to think Mike Smith or Carey Price would be our #1 and that's solely based on Smith's playoff performance. If he can keep that type of play up for a couple years, I'd be more confident but somehow I don't see it working out like that. Aside from those 2, obviously Luongo could be a contender or Marc-Andre Fleury but they're all shaky to me. Holtby could rise to the occasion but the problem with most of these guys are they look pretty good when faced with tons of shots but not quite as good when they don't feel the puck for a bit which will happen with Canada. Sub par goal tending always bites us in the World Jr's, would be a shame to see them choke the big stage event. Maybe my expectations are too high because it's Canada. Oh well, just my thoughts~

Another concern I have is for Canada's goalies for the next Olympics. It just seems like we don't have that 1 guy who is a cut above the rest. American goalies these days are so good I don't know if Canada will be able to compete. With Quick, Miller, Thomas (I know), Cory Schneider all viable as the starter the Canadian guys just pale in comparison. At this current moment I'd like to think Mike Smith or Carey Price would be our #1 and that's solely based on Smith's playoff performance. If he can keep that type of play up for a couple years, I'd be more confident but somehow I don't see it working out like that. Aside from those 2, obviously Luongo could be a contender or Marc-Andre Fleury but they're all shaky to me.
    Luongo will be fine, especially if he can regain some confidence, which should help with 90% of the same players probably willing to come back.

10+ Year Old Account
    Jimmy Howard, Johnathon Quick and Cory Schneider are the probable goalies for the States. Unless Miller proves himself again over the next 2 seasons. Thomas I think retires before 2014 Olympics.

Canada has Fleury, Ward, Price, Smith, Luongo, and Elliot.

Ward still is a top tier goalie. It's just his team is very lackluster in defense, and their offense wasn't keeping it out of their zone either. He averaged 31.5 shots per game, most in the league.
    Last edited by Irony; 2012-07-30 at 02:49 AM.