15+ Year Old Account
    From the sounds of it, Burke is out because he refused to move on a Luongo deal. Burke didn't want to do it while pretty much everyone else in the organization did. So I guess start your countdown on Bobby Luongo, Toronto Maple Leaf.

Sounds like everyone is pretty shocked by the move. Burke and the Toronto brass were all at the Marlies game last night and apparently no one at today's BOG meeting had any clue this had even a possibility of happening. Burke must have been blocking the trade making it the hill he was willing to die on.
    Last edited by conscript; 2013-01-09 at 06:14 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well congrats Toronto, you can now throw away your prospects for bandage players and be the Calgary (Sorry Zeoni) of the East.... Again!
    You can tell WoW changed the MMO for good when players started complaining about the amount of time they sink, into a time sink.

If that's true for once Burke is making the right decision and gets canned for it. Go figure....

Quote Originally Posted by Irony View Post
    Well congrats Toronto, you can now throw away your prospects for bandage players and be the Calgary (Sorry Zeoni) of the East.... Again!
    I can see it.

So, who's speculated to be lost from last season? Holmström retire, I've heard rumours of Pronger not continuing due to still feeling the concussion side-effects.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    So, who's speculated to be lost from last season? Holmström retire, I've heard rumours of Pronger not continuing due to still feeling the concussion side-effects.
    Ya Prong will not be cleared by doctors anytime soon. He is still dealing with the side-effects and there is absolutely no time table for his return if there ever is a return. I wish he would just hang em up and let Philly open some cap space. Homer retired (which I am super happy about). Lidstrom was approached by Babcock on Monday about a return and declined. Timmy Thomas still plans on sitting this year.

15+ Year Old Account
    Detroit without Homer or Lidstrom...is that everyone now from our 97-98 rosters officially gone?

"Former Senior Vice President of Hockey Operations Dave Nonis will be taking over for Burke as the general manager. Burke will remain on as a senior advisor to the club, according to Tom Anselmi, President and CEO of MLSE."
    Source: http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=6...d=nhl:topheads

So Burke will pretty much be the behind the scenes GM.

I don't know about the Burke firing.. Quite frankly, the timing is very weird, but looking at his record? It needed to happen. He guaranteed us the playoffs and never delivered on his promise. Yes, he set up some building blocks for us for sure, but what about the Kessel trade? There were more then a few trades and moves that made no sense for the long term on a rebuild. And I'm sorry, but saying Reimer/Scriven's are ready for the NHL, as a duo? No, no, no. Reimer could one day be a future star.. but with a senior goaltender who has been around to mentor him. It didn't work with Reimer and Gustavson last year, it isn't gonna work this year. And remember, if they do make the Luongo deal, they can always buy out his contract next year or the year after if he doesn't work out.

On the bright side though, Dave Nonis has a good record and I think he will do a good job as GM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Greeney View Post
    "Former Senior Vice President of Hockey Operations Dave Nonis will be taking over for Burke as the general manager. Burke will remain on as a senior advisor to the club, according to Tom Anselmi, President and CEO of MLSE."
    Source: http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=6...d=nhl:topheads

So Burke will pretty much be the behind the scenes GM.
    Ya but with zero power. Rumor has it was kept on solely at the request of Nonis.

Quote Originally Posted by marcelos11 View Post
    Detroit without Homer or Lidstrom...is that everyone now from our 97-98 rosters officially gone?
    Ya unless I am forgetting someone, there are now no more Wings left from the back to back Cups in the late 90s.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    Ya but with zero power. Rumor has it was kept on solely at the request of Nonis.

Ya unless I am forgetting someone, there are now no more Wings left from the back to back Cups in the late 90s.
    the end of an era has come and gone.

15+ Year Old Account
    I wonder how ridiculous the retirement game prices are going to be. I missed Stevie's (went to the next game instead). I'd really like to go to Nick's retirement. That guy has been one of my heroes forever. I started to learn Swedish and was going to join the foreign exchange student program because of him at one point.

I started to learn Swedish and was going to join the foreign exchange student program because of him at one point.
    Hur är läget?

But in seriousness, I'm more sad to see Holmström go than I am relieved. Then again, I'm more of a Swedish-nationalist-fan than a Detroit-fan.

10+ Year Old Account
    The only member left is Ken Holland. Mike Knuble is the only player still playing in the NHL.
    You can tell WoW changed the MMO for good when players started complaining about the amount of time they sink, into a time sink.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    How long till Luongo is on the Leafs now?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeoni View Post
    How long till Luongo is on the Leafs now?
    Well the CBA was just officially ratified by the BOG, so assuming it is all hammered out in the next day or two I am willing to bet Lou will be in the Leafs camp prior to it starting on the 12th and will be their starting goalie in Montreal on the 19th.

Hockey is now officially back by the way. (Okay not really the players still have to vote Friday or Saturday)
    Last edited by conscript; 2013-01-09 at 08:49 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    So Dave Nonis will be taking over the reigns of GM in Toronto. Well... At least they know he can trade for Luongo.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    From the sounds of it, Burke is out because he refused to move on a Luongo deal. Burke didn't want to do it while pretty much everyone else in the organization did. So I guess start your countdown on Bobby Luongo, Toronto Maple Leaf.

Sounds like everyone is pretty shocked by the move. Burke and the Toronto brass were all at the Marlies game last night and apparently no one at today's BOG meeting had any clue this had even a possibility of happening. Burke must have been blocking the trade making it the hill he was willing to die on.
    Considering up until about 2:30 yesterday afternoon, even speaking of a trade in public was a violation of league rules, since discussing trades with anyone other then another GM while there is no CBA laid out constitutes collusion. Also, if they fired him for not being willing to make the Luongo trade, then the new Leafs ownership group are more fucking retarded then the old owners. Seriously, no GM is going to trade two top tier prospects for a 34 year old goalie with a history of choking in the playoffs, that deal just isn't worth it. Unless Vancouver is giving us Hodgson as well, or a 1st round pick, there isn't a GM in the league who is making that deal. Even Nonis won't be dumb enough to make that deal for that asking price, that deal would be better for Bernier to be honest because at least he is young and has a lot of upside plus a lower cap hit.
    Last edited by Rennadrel; 2013-01-10 at 10:51 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Bernier would be a good get, he's shown he can get it done in this league, the one problem he has is that he's not as good as Quick

he can be a little streaky, but thats how it goes with backup goalies, you get him in 50-60 games and he'll be reliable

I'd rather keep him for this year, especially if they are wedging a lot of games into a shorter time frame, a good backup would be valuable

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    Unless Vancouver is giving us Hodgson as well, or a 1st round pick, there isn't a GM in the league who is making that deal.
    They wouldn't make that deal with Hodgson, because we don't have him anymore.