The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    I get that 3 games in 4 nights is rough, but really getting upset by the lack of offensive pressure the past few games. Tonight's game was absolutely pathetic, the 3rd and 4th lines were worthless. Should just try to play keep away behind the net until 1 and 2 are good to go again because those bottom two lines cannot sustain anything. I'd like to see Shaw center the 3rd line with Stalberg when Bolly comes back and see if that can spark anything.

We've averaged 2.2 goals per game in the past 7 games (plus ~20 minutes worth of OT), troubling.

Pretty funny how the goalies have been a HUGE reason for our success this year and the offense has been lagging behind when everybody was expecting the complete opposite coming into the year. Gotta love sports.

---------- Post added 2013-02-03 at 03:04 AM ----------

Also after having to endure 3 straight shoot outs, I'm curious if people on this board would prefer the playoff format for OTs for the regular season,and just abandon shoot outs entirely; or keep it the way it is.
    Last edited by Stommped; 2013-02-03 at 09:05 AM.

You mean continuous overtime, or just 5min? I think overtime in regulation makes little sense in a 2point system to begin with. Suddenly points are handed out 2-1 meaning that you don't fight for 2 points, you fight for 2 or 3. That said, I personally wouldn't mind having 3 point system integrated to the NHL.
    The problem with continuous OT on a whole is, if you have two teams that have equally bad a night with two hot goalies, it will last forever.

Also, still not seeing what people see in Howard. I'm not trying to be offensive, but I think he's so overrated, even this loss aside.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    You mean continuous overtime, or just 5min? I think overtime in regulation makes little sense in a 2point system to begin with. Suddenly points are handed out 2-1 meaning that you don't fight for 2 points, you fight for 2 or 3. That said, I personally wouldn't mind having 3 point system integrated to the NHL.
    The problem with continuous OT on a whole is, if you have two teams that have equally bad a night with two hot goalies, it will last forever.

Also, still not seeing what people see in Howard. I'm not trying to be offensive, but I think he's so overrated, even this loss aside.
    Howard also hasnt had much of a defense in front of him so far. Detroit has used a total of 9 different defensemen this year, due to injuries, and has faced more odd man rushes right now then anyone has a right to face in an entire season, let alone 8 games. also, they played last night, so this wasnt typical wings hockey.
    last season howard was 2.30 gaa with a .920 save %.

No, I agree. But I'm unsure whether he's a good goalie being held back by a bad defense, or an all right one previously being carried by d-men under Lidström's wings.

He's certainly apt, I'm just not thinking he's as good as he's touted.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why don't Emery play like that every game? Goaltending problem would be solved.. So close on a shutout and yet not.. The last two games have been goddamn awfull but luckly we got 3 points..
    Oderint dum metuat.
    Success is dependent on effort.

I believe it's only a matter of time before Edmonton is the most hated team in the league. I can't stand their fans with all their shitposting. Sure, I get it, they had a zero squad for a few years, but the stuff they say is ridiculous. I also think the Vancouver hate is quite funny. I'd also like hockey to remove the shootout. Better off not letting teams purely defend at the end of the third just to get a secure point AND the chance of more.

Quote Originally Posted by marcelos11 View Post
    lol. hey, you guys could be playing San Jose.
    We managed to beat them

I think Peks is getting it back in gear and damn two shootout wins in a row, can't believe it. I've about decided when the Preds get back home we need to start a new chant for SK so that everytime he touches the puck we just yell shoot! Dude has a pretty damn good wrister and never uses it.

This Preds team so far is like watching the teams from 5-6 years ago when they stole a ton of wins 2-1.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    The NHL needs to get rid of the 3 point system and eliminate shootouts, it would make things so much more challenging. Having the extra point allows for more fringe teams to exist, you get teams like Buffalo who shouldn't be in the playoffs because they don't have the defensive depth to succeed in the playoffs, sitting in playoff spots that belong to teams who actually deserve it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post

You need to actually watch games and realize how shit our defense is at the moment. He also never played during the lockout, so he would be a bit rusty. He currently is the only goaltender we have with Jonas and MacDonald injured. He faces on average 5 breakaways a game, that is nuts for any goaltender.
    You can tell WoW changed the MMO for good when players started complaining about the amount of time they sink, into a time sink.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    The NHL needs to get rid of the 3 point system and eliminate shootouts, it would make things so much more challenging. Having the extra point allows for more fringe teams to exist, you get teams like Buffalo who shouldn't be in the playoffs because they don't have the defensive depth to succeed in the playoffs, sitting in playoff spots that belong to teams who actually deserve it.
    They don't need to drop the 3 point system, just get rid of the loser point or move the the soccer 3 point system 93 for win, 2 for OT/SO win, 1 for OT/SO loss, 0 for loss) so that only three points are handed out per night rather than having the loser point giving teams some extra lift they don't deserve.

10+ Year Old Account
    Vanek is tearing it up

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kabookiejoez View Post
    Vanek is tearing it up
    Ya he is having himself a hell of a season so far. 19 points right now to lead the league.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    So Yakupov goes after Duschene for going for an empty net goal at the end of their game yesterday. Is this kid stupid? He already has a target on his back he's just giving people justification for going after him now. If I were Duschene I woulda just slid on the ice like an idiot after shooting at the empty net.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeoni View Post
    So Yakupov goes after Duschene for going for an empty net goal at the end of their game yesterday. Is this kid stupid? He already has a target on his back he's just giving people justification for going after him now. If I were Duschene I woulda just slid on the ice like an idiot after shooting at the empty net.

Justification for what? Because Don Cherry said so? I thought hockey was suppose to be an emotional game....

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Nah, Yakupov is seriously painting a target on his back and someone is going to crush him with a hit that will put him in his place if he doesn't smarten up. I hope someone bowls him over flat on his back when he is coming across the blue line and it puts him out for a few games, it will teach him to act like a fucking adult. This is the NHL, I don't give a fuck if you can score goals, show some respect and class. Don Cherry had it right when he said PK Subban was being immature the last few years and he learned to smarten up and be mature rather then goofing off in front of your teammates like adults.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    Nah, Yakupov is seriously painting a target on his back and someone is going to crush him with a hit that will put him in his place if he doesn't smarten up. I hope someone bowls him over flat on his back when he is coming across the blue line and it puts him out for a few games, it will teach him to act like a fucking adult. This is the NHL, I don't give a fuck if you can score goals, show some respect and class. Don Cherry had it right when he said PK Subban was being immature the last few years and he learned to smarten up and be mature rather then goofing off in front of your teammates like adults.
    Because the kid shows some fucking excitement and emotion? I am all for robotic workmanship, Lidstrom and Yzerman are my two favorite players after all, but man I hope Nail keeps doing the stuff he does. God knows the NHL needs some flare and youthful exuberance. There is a certain amount of respect you should show, but I'd sure as shit rather have a kid out there enjoying himself rather than a guy ever "bowl him over flat on his back when he is coming across the blue line and put him out for a few games" to send a fucking message. That shit ends careers. Ask Mark Savard how his head is doing. Or Pronger. or Lindros. Or god knows how many dozens of guys Scott Stevens did that shit to and they now have to eat all their food through a straw. I'd much rather have a kid act like kind of a prick and show general fucking enthusiasm for the game than have him end up needing help trying to remember how to spell Yakupov because of people trying to send a message. In no way does that show class or teach a lesson, it just perpetuates a culture of stupidity.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kabookiejoez View Post
    Justification for what? Because Don Cherry said so? I thought hockey was suppose to be an emotional game....
    Nothing to do with Don Cherry or anything he has said. Read my entire post again. This has nothing to do with being overly emotional or hockey being an emotional game it has to do with Yakupov being an idiot. People already hate him, they're going to hate him even more after the little incident with Duchene. Dude wasn't even celebrating he just tossed the puck at the net 1-2 seconds after the game ended and glided around the net but Yakupov skates after him obviously upset for little to no reason. And the dumb part to kick it all off, he tries to just shove him with 1 hand. He is making himself look like a soar loser and an overly excited winner. Kid has a target on his back and everytime he does something after the game of this nature, it gets bigger.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZV7t2Cofjq0 is what I'm talking about. Not sure where you got Don Cherry out of my previous post though.

And on another note has anyone noticed the officiating so far has been kind of off? It hasn't been too bad in the Calgary games so far, couple weak calls ect but nothing huge but I keep hearing about these disallowed goals and questionable calls. Makes me wonder why they're reffing games with such a zero tolerance mindset.
    Last edited by Zeoni; 2013-02-04 at 07:18 AM.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    I could have told you the officiating has sucked after the Leafs-Bruins game on Saturday. That Franson goal should have counted, it was an unintentional trip as Rask came across to make the save and Kelly pushed Kadri, who lost control of his stick and it got under Rask's feet and he fell over.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeoni View Post
    Nothing to do with Don Cherry or anything he has said. Read my entire post again. This has nothing to do with being overly emotional or hockey being an emotional game it has to do with Yakupov being an idiot. People already hate him, they're going to hate him even more after the little incident with Duchene. Dude wasn't even celebrating he just tossed the puck at the net 1-2 seconds after the game ended and glided around the net but Yakupov skates after him obviously upset for little to no reason. And the dumb part to kick it all off, he tries to just shove him with 1 hand. He is making himself look like a soar loser and an overly excited winner. Kid has a target on his back and everytime he does something after the game of this nature, it gets bigger.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZV7t2Cofjq0 is what I'm talking about. Not sure where you got Don Cherry out of my previous post though.

And on another note has anyone noticed the officiating so far has been kind of off? It hasn't been too bad in the Calgary games so far, couple weak calls ect but nothing huge but I keep hearing about these disallowed goals and questionable calls. Makes me wonder why they're reffing games with such a zero tolerance mindset.
    You know, if it wasn't Nail I think there would be people making the exact opposite argument here about how Duchene was the one being unsportsmanlike by trying to bust his ass down the ice to score a pointless stat sheet padding goal in a decided game. That is exactly what happened there. This is all a phenomenally stupid argument.

Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    You know, if it wasn't Nail I think there would be people making the exact opposite argument here about how Duchene was the one being unsportsmanlike by trying to bust his ass down the ice to score a pointless stat sheet padding goal in a decided game. That is exactly what happened there. This is all a phenomenally stupid argument.
    If there is still time on the clock I say score the goal, thats what they get paid to do. I have no issue though with Yakupov's reaction either mind you, because the shot came way late and is generally something considered a no no anyways. He could of easily just stopped and let the puck slide.

However, Yakupov is the last person that should be the one doing it. I can understand getting excited, I can understand some celebration, but sliding down the ice like he did is a bit overboard. I kind of see it like the incident in Dallas where the guy ran to the 50 yard line and stood on the Dallas star for the celebration. He got his ass plastered for it, and personally I wouldn't of minded someone doing him the same way at the time.