Does Yakupov DESERVE what is likely coming to him? Absolutely not.

Does Yakupov need to realize that the NHL is a kind of fraternity wherein normal-world rules don't generally apply? Absolutely.

You can't argue that just because he showed some emotion he doesn't deserve to be punished. People were obviously pissed with him after that goal against the Kings. Then he had some pretty similar Ovechkin-like antics after scoring against the Coyotes and someone went after him (I can't remember who, I am pretty hung over.. Derek Morris maybe?) If you showboat in the NHL, people will not be ok with you shitting all over their pride like that.

On a personal level, I absolutely agree with you, conscript - I think that kind of excitement from a rookie is just great. But understanding the NHL and how players will react to that kind of shit, I think it's a dumb choice by a kid to do it twice.

EDIT: Also can anyone find me the video for this Yakupov/Duschene incident? I can't seem to anywhere.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by VanillaO View Post
    EDIT: Also can anyone find me the video for this Yakupov/Duschene incident? I can't seem to anywhere.

It was in Z's post about three before yours :P

10+ Year Old Account
    I didn't have a problem with Yakupov's celebrations, but being a pouty bitch about losing irks me a lot more, going after people for doing what they're paid to do, now I get the impression the guy just doesn't "get it"

being enthusiastic about success is not so bad, but when you're throwing punches at guys because he scored a ENG then maybe they will try and put you through the boards in the next game and I don't have a problem with that, especially when you're only playing against your own conference this year, they will have plenty chances to run you

My bad.. like I said, I'm still feeling last night a little ;x

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    I didn't have a problem with Yakupov's celebrations, but being a pouty bitch about losing irks me a lot more, going after people for doing what they're paid to do, now I get the impression the guy just doesn't "get it"

being enthusiastic about success is not so bad, but when you're throwing punches at guys because he scored a ENG then maybe they will try and put you through the boards in the next game and I don't have a problem with that, especially when you're only playing against your own conference this year, they will have plenty chances to run you
    What Duchene did was classless, period. It doesn't matter what Yakupov did a few games ago, if an opposing player does something like that and it pisses him off he has the right to go after him. Duchene doesn't get paid to shoot the puck after the horn sounds.

Idiot Burrows did almost the same thing on Friday (shot the puck into the net after the whistle), got a penalty for it, but the Hawks went to the box as well for retaliating (which was expected).

I think what Duchene did was worse than Yakupov's celebration, but that's just me.

In the video, the horn sounds after he shoots... which is like 2 seconds after time has expired.. Is that just happening for me or anyone else? Like I'm seeing him already winding up his shot as the ref blows teh whistle, then he shoots, then the horn sounds.

15+ Year Old Account
    In the video, the horn sounds after he shoots... which is like 2 seconds after time has expired.. Is that just happening for me or anyone else? Like I'm seeing him already winding up his shot as the ref blows teh whistle, then he shoots, then the horn sounds.
    its not just you, he was roughly about center ice when time expired.

You know your right, I'm not sure that shot was anything to get all up in arms over, especially when you listen for the whistles and the horn. In fact the shot was almost in the net by the time the horn goes and he was already shooting when the whistles went. I'm not gonna give anyone hell for trying to score an empty netter, play better defense imo.

I will add though that the coaches really need to sit Yakupov down and have a talk with him. I don't think its one where you scold him, but its something where you need to let him know that for his safety that he might want to chill for a bit. Do I think anyone is going head hunting on him right now? Well no, but if he keeps being involved in things someone will eventually get him good and I wouldn't want to see anyone go down.

I keep thinking though that he's lucky someone like Scott Stevens isn't playing anymore, he probably would of left him in a body bag at some point.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    I can see being upset if their goalie was in the net or if Duchene was celebrating as if he scored. I don't think he -should- be punished or hit by anyone or anything like that, all I was saying is he is going to garner attention for these things. He might not deserve it but if he continues to do things like that, I won't be surprised if someone does lay him out. Players are gonna get tired of his celebrations and people like Derrick Morris already are as seen after the Phoenix game.

Herald of the Titans Skarsguard's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Haven't watched hockey yet this year I'm a super casual hockey fan but anyways I am going to be watching the Ducks game tonight it should be good Sharks are on a roll which they usually are except in the post season and Ducks are solid as usual. Predicting Ducks 3 Sharks 2

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    God damn Frattin is really showing that he could be the real deal with more experience in the NHL, what a goal he had.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stommped View Post
    What Duchene did was classless, period. It doesn't matter what Yakupov did a few games ago, if an opposing player does something like that and it pisses him off he has the right to go after him. Duchene doesn't get paid to shoot the puck after the horn sounds.
    I wasn't looking at the clock, didn't hear anything until the puck went in, so get on the folks who are sposed to blow the whistle/horn when time runs out

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Bahahaha a ref got hit in the face with a puck that rebounded off the glass by Phaneuf. Good, that's what you assholes get for giving McClement an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty, should have given one to Carolina for the same thing in the first period when one of their players showered Reimer with ice.

---------- Post added 2013-02-04 at 08:52 PM ----------

God the officiating in this Leafs game is absolutely brutal. Another disallowed goal, this time the refs claim it was a kicking motion even though Bozak stopped as the puck bounced off his skate.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Stommped View Post

Idiot Burrows did almost the same thing on Friday (shot the puck into the net after the whistle), got a penalty for it, but the Hawks went to the box as well for retaliating (which was expected).

I think what Duchene did was worse than Yakupov's celebration, but that's just me.
    There is a big difference to shoot after the signal at an open net and if there is a goalie standing there. I think Yakupov is overreacting big time. To me it looks like the puck is already on the way when the horn sounds.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Those fucking Sedins jesus christ. OT goal was beautiful. They're missing Kesler big time still though.

15+ Year Old Account
    The point still isn't that Duchene took a shot at the net after time expired. The entire debate exists because he busted his ass down the ice, with 5 seconds to go, in a 2 goal game, to try and pad his stats. Nothing more, nothing less. That is classless bullshit and that was what Nail was reacting to. 99% of the time the winning team just dumps the puck and celebrates. I can't even remember the last time I ever saw a guy try to do what Duchene did. The attempt was the classless act in this situation, not the actual shot.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    The point still isn't that Duchene took a shot at the net after time expired. The entire debate exists because he busted his ass down the ice, with 5 seconds to go, in a 2 goal game, to try and pad his stats. Nothing more, nothing less. That is classless bullshit and that was what Nail was reacting to. 99% of the time the winning team just dumps the puck and celebrates. I can't even remember the last time I ever saw a guy try to do what Duchene did. The attempt was the classless act in this situation, not the actual shot.
    true, if there had been more time left, and it had only been a 1 goal game. more power to him. but you have 5 seconds left, control of the puck, and a 2 goal lead. no reason for Duchene to do that. then again, this is Colorado were talking about, the scum of the Western Conference.

Herald of the Titans Skarsguard's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Ducks won 2-1 I was right on my prediction but wrong on the score by 1 point shift oh well.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by marcelos11 View Post
    this is Colorado were talking about, the scum of the Western Conference.
    Hey man, its time to let the grudge go. Colorado hasn't been a relevant rival for years now. That is like considering the UK our enemy because of the American Revolution.

I feel like the Sabres need to get two points tonight or this season's going to really take on a dark, dark complexion. If someone would have told me Vanek would be the league's top point getter at this point, I would have been sure they were good. Clearly, I missed.