15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    Well if it were me calling the shots, no one would be getting a slice of the pie from other teams. When you have teams like Detroit, Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver etc selling out pretty much every home game, what makes a team like the Coyotes worthy of that money? You know, if we didn't have failing hockey markets, the league would be able to raise the salary cap to 100 million because financially all the teams in the league could afford it, however it's the fringe and failing teams who can't generate enough profit in revenue to get the league to bump it up, because then your cap floor would be even higher.
    The thing that makes them worth the money is their media market. Outside of that, ya it makes no sense having teams in failing markets. Why even have a team in Phoenix that will have lost $100 million over the last four years? Outside of increased media footprint, the NHL makes so, so much more sense as a 26 team league than it does as a 30 team league, but because the NHL feels like they need to have teams in major media markets like Phoenix, Miami, Los Angeles, and Dallas the league is going to be saddled with teams that are unhealthy for their local owner but perhaps in the bigger scheme are worth having around just to increase the footprint. Phoenix(14), LA(2), Dallas(7), and Miami(17) are media markets too large for the NHL to ignore (national rank in parentheses) so while it makes more financial sense for the individual franchise to be in say Quebec, greater Toronto, etc. for the greater league presence perhaps it makes enough sense to have those teams there. Who knows. Nothing the NHL does makes sense.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Glen Healy is just a troll and whiny little bitch stick. I can't stand Mark Crawford on TSN, along with their entire panel plus Seamus O'Toole and Jay Onrait (or however you spell it) who I have dubbed as the Two Douches. The only person I can stand on TSN is Jennifer Hedger, at least SportsNet Ontario has some decent broadcasting, I don't mind the regular Hockey Central guys, even if Kipper whines like he is going through his man-period half the time. Oh and Joe Bowen is the best game caller on this side of the 49th parallel.

---------- Post added 2012-02-20 at 08:49 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    The thing that makes them worth the money is their media market. Outside of that, ya it makes no sense having teams in failing markets. Why even have a team in Phoenix that will have lost $100 million over the last four years? Outside of increased media footprint, the NHL makes so, so much more sense as a 26 team league than it does as a 30 team league, but because the NHL feels like they need to have teams in major media markets like Phoenix, Miami, Los Angeles, and Dallas the league is going to be saddled with teams that are unhealthy for their local owner but perhaps in the bigger scheme are worth having around just to increase the footprint. Phoenix(14), LA(2), Dallas(7), and Miami(17) are media markets too large for the NHL to ignore (national rank in parentheses) so while it makes more financial sense for the individual franchise to be in say Quebec, greater Toronto, etc. for the greater league presence perhaps it makes enough sense to have those teams there. Who knows. Nothing the NHL does makes sense.
    I doubt Phoenix makes much sense even from a media standpoint, they have an NBA team that people actually care about, but they are going to suck hardcore once Steve Nash retires, the guy has been carrying that franchise forever. Columbus too, I can't see Ohio being a big state for hockey TV ratings. I guess we shall see what the figures are like for next years All Star game and just how many people in that state actually watch the game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just had a little looksee through the current season stats.
    Philly have had the most Powerplay opportunities with 255 so far this season. Second on that list is, oh look DETROIT. With 223.
    Yeah those refs love to ignore you guys. Not that it matters, your PP% is something shocking.
    Meanwhile, at the other end of the list is Phoenix(176), Islanders & Colorado (177), Dallas (184) and Tampa Bay (186).
    How about a little less bitching about not being handed a game when Detroit get more than most.

Tsn is bearable because of Kate Beirness who I could listen to for hours because of that endearing maritime accent and she's as cute as a button . Oh and that new blonde they've got isn't too bad either.
    Sportsnet has some pretty shoddy production but for local coverage its pretty good.
    I remember it all too well

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    I doubt Phoenix makes much sense even from a media standpoint, they have an NBA team that people actually care about, but they are going to suck hardcore once Steve Nash retires, the guy has been carrying that franchise forever. Columbus too, I can't see Ohio being a big state for hockey TV ratings. I guess we shall see what the figures are like for next years All Star game and just how many people in that state actually watch the game.
    When you are signing multi billion dollar network television deals, the available markets you have absolutely matter though. The potential of those millions of extra viewers in places like Phoenix or Miami absolutely drive up that contract value. That is a big reason the NHL is hesitant to move teams back to Canada because it would wreak havoc on the value of their national tv deal in the future as teams pull out of major American markets and go to major Canadian markets.

The All Star game isn't a good indicator by any means. No one watches that piece of crap in any city. Best indicator are the finals ratings, playoff ratings, and the national Sunday games. Last year for game 7 of the Finals, Phoenix was the 17th NHL market by viewer ratings for the game. Dallas was 18th, LA 19th, and Miami 20th. Combined they had a 11.0 rating which is roughly 1.1 million people. That absolutely is a huge factor in their shiny new NBC deal from last season. If you look at the non-NHL markets though it makes it look like a total joke of a number though. Hell, Vegas brought in a 6.7 rating. Fun fact: There were 34 US markets nationwide that had more people watch the Stanley Cup finals than Miami which has an NHL team. Some of those cities include Hartford, Orlando, Vegas, Seattle, Portland, Sacramento, Milwaukee, San Diego, well, name a big city and it had a better rating than Miami. Phoenix had roughly the same ratings as Austin, TX.

As for Ohio, Columbus' finals ratings were really good. They outdrew freaking New York for game 7. The only other Ohio city in the top 50 markets by rating though was Cleveland at only a 2.1, still better than Miami.

---------- Post added 2012-02-21 at 10:14 AM ----------

I was wrong! Apparently the deal with Greg Jaimison that is nearing completion to sell the Yotes for roughly $170 million will keep the team in Phoenix for the foreseeable future. So apparently desert hockey isn't dead at all and will continue to be a black hole of terribleness for years to come!

Deleted
    Please Selanne... One more year huh

10+ Year Old Account
    Both Toews and Datsyuk out tonight =[

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Garbles View Post
    What no?! Toews the hell havn't heard shit about that.. Chicago Tribune where is that news? Edit: There it is.... I need to refresh my browers more frenquently. Well atleast Daysyuk is out aswell so that makes it somewhat up for Toews. Sad tho, but should be a good game looking forward to the morning already. Let's go Hawks let's go!
    Last edited by Rivenda; 2012-02-21 at 06:23 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Garbles View Post
    datsyuk is resting for Canucks

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Epuration View Post
    datsyuk is resting for Canucks
    Datsyuk is out for 2 weeks, so ouch. Apparently he had a couple bone spurs removed from his knee. There goes his shot at the Hart trophy.

Not having Towes or Datsyuk in tonights game is blargh.

---------- Post added 2012-02-21 at 03:27 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by eemuman View Post
    Please Selanne... One more year huh
    Hopefully the Ducks actually keep up this level of play and don't trade him next week. They have three do or die games between now and Tuesday's trade deadline against Tampa, Carolina, and Chicago. If they go 3-0 or 2-0-1 they will be looking right at the bottom of the playoff standings in the West. By the deadline they could be looking at passing only Calgary and LA/Phoenix/San Jose/Whatever teams wins that terrible division to slip into the playoffs.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevorkian View Post
    Just had a little looksee through the current season stats.
    Philly have had the most Powerplay opportunities with 255 so far this season. Second on that list is, oh look DETROIT. With 223.
    Yeah those refs love to ignore you guys. Not that it matters, your PP% is something shocking.
    Meanwhile, at the other end of the list is Phoenix(176), Islanders & Colorado (177), Dallas (184) and Tampa Bay (186).
    How about a little less bitching about not being handed a game when Detroit get more than most.
    i'm more concerned about what they ignore. i can count normally between 2-3 penalties that detroit has ignored, meanwhile the other team has 9-10 normally. i want fairness and equality. if that means detroit takes 3-4 more penalties a game, i'm ok with that. but the game against San Jose is a good example where San Jose got away with 4 HIGH STICKS, 3 of them in the last 10 minutes in the 3rd.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sucks about Toews and Datsyuk. Should be a good game still. Can't wait to wreck these Dead Wings.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Taros View Post
    Sucks about Toews and Datsyuk. Should be a good game still. Can't wait to wreck these Dead Wings.
    oh the dead wings comment. haven't heard taht one in a while (10 minutes or so) whats next? Detroit is a shitty city? the Wings are too old to make a deep playoff run?
    yeah...you're original...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    Datsyuk is out for 2 weeks, so ouch. Apparently he had a couple bone spurs removed from his knee. There goes his shot at the Hart trophy.
    aw man that sucks I didnt know

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Epuration View Post
    aw man that sucks I didnt know
    to aid the loss vancouver is not allowed to play with a goalie in net on thursday. or you can just start Luongo, which effectively is the smae thing.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Langenbrunner is on IR, the Blues are going to be missing a key role player moving towards the playoffs. Vinny is out for Tampa as well with an upper body injury.

WHy not move them the team to the Suns arena? It's in a prime location. Plus the Yotes are hardly terrible, if they can make the play-offs, people would be willing to watch.
    I remember it all too well

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xevan View Post
    WHy not move them the team to the Suns arena? It's in a prime location. Plus the Yotes are hardly terrible, if they can make the play-offs, people would be willing to watch.
    thats why there was more red jerseys in the desert during a "white out" when phx played Detroit?

Since the shift to home jerseys being coloured and away-jerseys being white, the concept of whiteout-games always confuse me.
    Oh well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quincy to Detroit. Hopefully this will cut down the ice time Ericsson plays come the playoffs.