Quote Originally Posted by Armourboy View Post
    Refs said it didn't count because they intended to blow the whistle sooner. That last one is a new one to me lol.
    I hate that rule. I've seen goals called off before this where the refs hand didn't even start to move. If he intended to blow the whistle, why wasn't his hand moving towards his mouth?

---------- Post added 2012-04-18 at 01:11 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by marcelos11 View Post
    he didnt try to run him. he was going for the puck. regardless. that does not constitute taking someones head into your hands and FORCIBLY smashing it into the boards.
    sorry, but what Zetterberg did was play hockey.
    What Weber did would get you jail time if i did that you on the street.
    So you're saying of someone creamed Datsyuk from behind and say, Brad Stuart was there and he grabbed that guy from behind and smashed his head into the boards, you'd say Stuart was in the wrong?

15+ Year Old Account
    Yeah but the helmet did its job, he was fine. In fact he was seen cruising around the Green Hills Mall the next day laughing and having a good time. Keep in mind I'm not arguing that what Weber did was ok, hell I think he should of gotten a game. The statement was more to say that Karma is a bitch and he got his bell rung too.

This series has been so odd in so many ways. I can think of at least 3 goals that have gotten waved off. The one where the clock expired for you, one on a PP for us where they blew the whistle quick, and then the Legwand one tonight where apparently the Refs said it didn't count because they intended to blow the whistle sooner. That last one is a new one to me lol.

Just a general question that I've seen asked in several other places, does anyone else think the Refs have been told to try and keep things close so that series drag out and the teams make more money? I generally call phooey on that line of thinking, but as crazy as the Refs have been this year it makes me wonder sometimes.
    the last one is not new to Detroit fans. seen way to many "Goals waved off because we intended to blow the whistle." this is the first that went for us. doesnt matter, you got the goal back a minute later (and you would not have gotten that goal if the prior goal was waved off, because f/o would have been at center ice).
    and yes. i think the refs are being paid to shift it one way or another. or least keep the games close.

---------- Post added 2012-04-18 at 04:13 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Hedleyazg View Post
    I hate that rule. I've seen goals called off before this where the refs hand didn't even start to move. If he intended to blow the whistle, why wasn't his hand moving towards his mouth?

---------- Post added 2012-04-18 at 01:11 AM ----------

So you're saying of someone creamed Datsyuk from behind and say, Brad Stuart was there and he grabbed that guy from behind and smashed his head into the boards, you'd say Stuart was in the wrong?
    yes
    i would definately say Stuart was wrong. and Zetterberg wasnt even going anywher e close to top speed when he ran into weber by the way. not even close, he got in there to play the puck. hockey play.
    taking someones head in your hands and smashing it into the boards? not hockey.
    when Quincey got suspended earlier this year i agreed with it.
    when Smith got suspended earlier this year. i agreed. wit hthe suspension. not hte length.

yes
    i would definately say Stuart was wrong.
    If Stuart did nothing, Wings fans would say the team did nothing to defend Datsyuk and the team is gutless/spineless. As for the Weber/Zetterberg incident, Zetterberg chopped him in the leg on the way in then hit him square in the numbers.

the last one is not new to Detroit fans. seen way to many "Goals waved off because we intended to blow the whistle." this is the first that went for us. doesnt matter, you got the goal back a minute later (and you would not have gotten that goal if the prior goal was waved off, because f/o would have been at center ice).
    and yes. i think the refs are being paid to shift it one way or another. or least keep the games close.

---------- Post added 2012-04-18 at 04:13 AM ----------

I just saw it as one of those deals where the hockey gods made up for it.

Ok just kinda wondered what the Detroit side of things was on the Refs. It was brought up on our boards at the start of the season, and she said it was being done because of the impending lockout. Granted we all thought she was crazy then, but damn if she doesn't look brilliant after these playoffs lol.

---------- Post added 2012-04-18 at 08:20 AM ----------

If Stuart did nothing, Wings fans would say the team did nothing to defend Datsyuk and the team is gutless/spineless. As for the Weber/Zetterberg incident, Zetterberg chopped him in the leg on the way in then hit him square in the numbers.
    Thats what Weber was saying happened, still though its not worth grabbing the guys head and slamming it into the boards. Weber would have had plenty of opportunity in the next few games to lay his ass out legally if he wanted to.

15+ Year Old Account
    no. you see you said he should smash his head into the boards. and the wings dont really have "Fighters", more than likely what would happen is exactly what happened in game 2.
    Bertuzzi found Weber.
    Bertuzzi fought Weber.
    they left it at that.
    again, a chop in teh leg and hitting a guy in the numbers does not equate to bodily smashing a guys head into the wall.
    even armourboy. who is a nashville fan agrees with that.

---------- Post added 2012-04-18 at 04:23 AM ----------

I just saw it as one of those deals where the hockey gods made up for it.

Ok just kinda wondered what the Detroit side of things was on the Refs. It was brought up on our boards at the start of the season, and she said it was being done because of the impending lockout. Granted we all thought she was crazy then, but damn if she doesn't look brilliant after these playoffs lol.

---------- Post added 2012-04-18 at 08:20 AM ----------

Thats what Weber was saying happened, still though its not worth grabbing the guys head and slamming it into the boards. Weber would have had plenty of opportunity in the next few games to lay his ass out legally if he wanted to.
    the only time where teh refs dont try to make as eries longer than it should is if the series is in favor of say...Pittsburgh...shocker i know.

no. you see you said he should smash his head into the boards. and the wings dont really have "Fighters", more than likely what would happen is exactly what happened in game 2.
    Bertuzzi found Weber.
    Bertuzzi fought Weber.
    It's a good thing he fought Bertuzzi, he might've gotten his neck broken if he didn't drop them with him.

---------- Post added 2012-04-18 at 01:31 AM ----------

It was a heat of the moment decision by Weber, it is easy to say "He shoulda......"

15+ Year Old Account
    It's a good thing he fought Bertuzzi, he might've gotten his neck broken if he didn't drop them with him.

It was a heat of the moment decision by Weber, it is easy to say "He shoulda......"
    one dirty play over 7 years ago and Bert is still paying for it today. he has changed. cut the guy some slack.
    and for the record, doctors have said that Bertuzzi didnt actually break Moores neck.
    Moores neck broke when his buddies decided to start throwing down and bodies landed on him.

one dirty play over 7 years ago and Bert is still paying for it today. he has changed. cut the guy some slack.
    and for the record, doctors have said that Bertuzzi didnt actually break Moores neck.
    Moores neck broke when his buddies decided to start throwing down and bodies landed on him.
    Bertuzzi shouldn't even be in the NHL. That is the dirtiest of dirty plays.

You could use that argument with almost every single suspension that has happened this year with the exception of the Ottawa one. Just because it was a reaction doesn't make it wrong and inexcuseable.

You could use that argument with almost every single suspension that has happened this year with the exception of the Ottawa one. Just because it was a reaction doesn't make it wrong and inexcuseable.
    No you can't. Most of the stuff people have gotten suspended for were predatory in nature, not reactions to something that happened a split second prior.

I gotta agree with him, dude should of been banned from the game right then and there. I was shocked to find out that the lawsuit still hasn't made it to trial yet. Thats freaking rediculous.

It may have turned out ok to let him keep playing, but it could of just as easily ended up going the other way. Personally would just assume they toss Torres forever too.

15+ Year Old Account
    Bertuzzi shouldn't even be in the NHL. That is the dirtiest of dirty plays.
    neither should claude lemiuex after what he did to draper. i never saw people up in arms like they were with Bertuzzi.
    Moore was a 4th line nobody who is now going to get more from a courtcase than he could ever get in 50 seasons of the NHL.

---------- Post added 2012-04-18 at 04:40 AM ----------

I gotta agree with him, dude should of been banned from the game right then and there. I was shocked to find out that the lawsuit still hasn't made it to trial yet. Thats freaking rediculous.

It may have turned out ok to let him keep playing, but it could of just as easily ended up going the other way. Personally would just assume they toss Torres forever too.
    i dont agree with what bertuzzi did. but he has proven to be more than just a goon.
    tell me.
    whens the last time you heard Bert do ANYTHING remotely Dirty enough to get a suspension?

No you can't. Most of the stuff people have gotten suspended for were predatory in nature, not reactions to something that happened a split second prior.
    All the Pens stuff, the Smith hit, and the Backstom hit all could be considered " in the heat of the game". 90% of the Nashville fans on the official forums think he should of gotten a game. When your own fans think you screwed up, its probably a pretty good indication that you messed up no matter the circumstances.

neither should claude lemiuex after what he did to draper. i never saw people up in arms like they were with Bertuzzi.
    Moore was a 4th line nobody who is now going to get more from a courtcase than he could ever get in 50 seasons of the NHL.

i dont agree with what bertuzzi did. but he has proven to be more than just a goon.
    tell me.
    whens the last time you heard Bert do ANYTHING remotely Dirty enough to get a suspension?
    Did Lemieux end Drapers career in a second? Didn't think so. As for the whole Bertuzzi doing something to be suspended, I don't watch the Wings often enough to comment on that. However, if he does something even remotely bad I'd assume he'd get a hefty suspension considering he has already ended a career with a stupid stupid dirty play.

---------- Post added 2012-04-18 at 01:45 AM ----------

All the Pens stuff, the Smith hit, and the Backstom hit all could be considered " in the heat of the game". 90% of the Nashville fans on the official forums think he should of gotten a game. When your own fans think you screwed up, its probably a pretty good indication that you messed up no matter the circumstances.
    Neal trying to hit Giroux in the head was "in the heat of the game?" He CLEARLY went after Giroux's head on that play. Shaw could have avoided Smith possibly if he really wanted. Haven't seen the Backstrom hit.

Shanahan needs to start handing out HEFTY suspensions for this chicken shit that players are doing now. He tried it in the preseason but the NHLPA and GMs got all uppity about it and the suspension length got significantly shorter. Last two games of the year, Logan Couture got ran TWICE by the Kings. One guy got a major for boarding at the other only got 2 minutes. No suspensions.
    Last edited by Hedleyazg; 2012-04-18 at 08:46 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Did Lemieux end Drapers career in a second? Didn't think so. As for the whole Bertuzzi doing something to be suspended, I don't watch the Wings often enough to comment on that. However, if he does something even remotely bad I'd assume he'd get a hefty suspension considering he has already ended a career with a stupid stupid dirty play.
    put it this way.
    he hasnt done anything close to suspension worthy in the past 2-3 years at least.
    furthermore, anytime he has a hit that might be even remotely close to dirty they throw his ass in the box. because of his name.
    its like Holmstrom getting goalie interference calls when hes a foot uotside the crease.
    Lemieuxs hit on Draper required him to have facial reconstructive surgery.

I used to enjoy hockey, but watching highlights now, makes it look like a bunch of brutish thugs out for blood. Its like they do not care in the slightest if it invovles play or not, they just want to crack someone upside the head when they are not looking.

I guess it appeals to the "RAWWWR BLOOD I AM A MAN" crowd, but it really takes away what limited artistry the game had.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Twiddly View Post
    I used to enjoy hockey, but watching highlights now, makes it look like a bunch of brutish thugs out for blood. Its like they do not care in the slightest if it invovles play or not, they just want to crack someone upside the head when they are not looking.

I guess it appeals to the "RAWWWR BLOOD I AM A MAN" crowd, but it really takes away what limited artistry the game had.
    i honestly love hockey, but i hate it when people retaliate for the wrong reason.
    did your guy get hit in a dirty way? yes! ok retaliate. drop the gloves. go for it.
    did your guy get hit in a CLEAN WAY? Yes. ok, don't retaliate, or retaliate by delivering a clean hit back.
    seems to me that the second option is drawing way to many fights of late.

tell me.
    Personally I don't care if he has been " good" over the last several years, I believe at the time it happened he should of been banned from the game period. I personally think anyone that does anything like that should be banned from the NHL. Personally to me it doesn't matter what he has done over the last 7 years, he should of never been allowed to play that 7 years to begin with.

TBH I hope the dude gets every dime Bertuzzi has made or will ever make. Whether the guy would of been anything more than a 4th line guy we will never know, unlike Bertuzzi he never got the chance to keep going.

After watching what happened to J.P Dumont and how his career basically ended with the hit he took, I've felt any player that puts a guy out of commission should sit at home as long as the dude he hurt does. He should be forced to give that guy his salary during that time too. Might actually put and end to some of this crap cause this stuff Shanny is doing sure ain't working.

15+ Year Old Account
    Personally I don't care if he has been " good" over the last several years, I believe at the time it happened he should of been banned from the game period. I personally think anyone that does anything like that should be banned from the NHL. Personally to me it doesn't matter what he has done over the last 7 years, he should of never been allowed to play that 7 years to begin with.

TBH I hope the dude gets every dime Bertuzzi has made or will ever make. Whether the guy would of been anything more than a 4th line guy we will never know, unlike Bertuzzi he never got the chance to keep going.

After watching what happened to J.P Dumont and how his career basically ended with the hit he took, I've felt any player that puts a guy out of commission should sit at home as long as the dude he hurt does. He should be forced to give that guy his salary during that time too. Might actually put and end to some of this crap cause this stuff Shanny is doing sure ain't working.
    to each there own. not everyone is going to agree on this subject.

to each there own. not everyone is going to agree on this subject.
    I don't think people ever agree on suspension lengths, how they should be carried out, etc.