Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Regennis View Post
    Brodeur a nice guy? Yeah, that's pretty much bullshit. He is a shallow, cocky human being and is a completely douche. Not exactly where you get the "nice guy" from, he's always shot stupid shit from his mouth. He's a good goaltender, but he is an ass.
    Wtf are you smoking? I get the nice guy shit from anyone whose ever come into contact with him. If he was shallow and cocky then why does he sign autographs for everyone after games? Why does he consider Lundqvist to be the best goalie in the NHL at the moment over himself? Dude jokes around with the media all the time, you're honestly the first person I've ever heard call Marty "shallow, cocky, douche, ect".

PS He's not a good goaltender, hes a legendary goaltender considered by many the greatest of all time. Just to clarify that. He could be cocky if he wanted and all those records would warrant it.

15+ Year Old Account
    This side of an imaginary line in the sand
    Brodeur a nice guy? Yeah, that's pretty much bullshit. He is a shallow, cocky human being and is a completely douche. Not exactly where you get the "nice guy" from, he's always shot stupid shit from his mouth. He's a good goaltender, but he is an ass.
    Says the Rangers fan.
    red panda red panda red panda!

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, it's official. Nick Lidstrom has announced his retirement, end of an era. I found it hard to watch the 12 games he was injured, not sure how I'm gonna get through an entire season. Easily the most consistent player in NHL history and arguably the best d-man.

Now only Selanne remains in the 80s draft class.
    You can tell WoW changed the MMO for good when players started complaining about the amount of time they sink, into a time sink.

15+ Year Old Account
    Really interested to see what transactions Detroit makes with this extra money this summer...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Irony View Post
    Did he walk up to you and throw sand in your face? The fuck do you have against Brodeur. I've only ever heard positive things about him. Don't be so bitter about losing to him.
    It has nothing to do with losing to him. We've been beating him for years and I've never liked him because the way he runs his mouth. Maybe you don't see the comments he's made since I doubt Devils news is a nationwide thing, but he is not a nice guy unless you want to bow before him.

---------- Post added 2012-05-31 at 12:17 PM ----------

To further clarify, the shit you see on TV is after Brodeur has been told to do a proper interview. Coming up through college I worked the Devils beat for the NYTimes. He doesn't respect people until he is forced to do so.

15+ Year Old Account
    Not gonna lie. I teared up. Goodbye TPH, the player I admired more than any other in any sport.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeoni View Post
    PS He's not a good goaltender, hes a legendary goaltender considered by many the greatest of all time. Just to clarify that. He could be cocky if he wanted and all those records would warrant it.
    Brodeur is only "legendary" because for years he had a great defense that played to his style. Take away the defense and he is still above average, but anything but legendary.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, it's official. Nick Lidstrom has announced his retirement, end of an era. I found it hard to watch the 12 games he was injured, not sure how I'm gonna get through an entire season. Easily the most consistent player in NHL history and arguably the best d-man.

Now only Selanne remains in the 80s draft class.
    I thought it was a joke when The Ticket made mention of Lidstorm possibly retiring yesterday. Sad Panda is sad. He's a great player and IMO he didn't get half the recognition he deserves. Sure in his 20years he spent next to zero time in the box, and wasn't a fighter. He was our teams Gentleman Player. That in itself there deserves some recognition. In my book he is the best d-man in NHL history. You can't get much more consistant than Nick Lidstrom. He started his career with Detroit and ended it with us. Not many NHL players out there can say that about their career. His spirit will surely be missed from the ice. It'll be interesting to watch this season, thats for sure.
    Kaeliri
    Sturmgrenadier Officer
    www.sghq.org
    Join a 10+ year old adult gaming syndicate in the domination of the MMO world

I'm not gonna lie either, I definitely teared up and smiled while watching the conference. I've been a fan ever since Dino Ciccarelli was traded from Washington to Detroit and that was Nick's 2nd season with the team. I fell in love with the whole organization ever since and have always been a fan especially of his. He had a great career with Detroit and was a class act. I don't know if we'll ever see another defenseman of his caliber in the NHL again...its tough to say. Of all his accolades and accomplishments, I think his best one is that in 20 NHL season's he missed a total of 46 games. Your presence will be missed on the ice and it was an honor to watch you on TV and in person when I had the chance to. Congratulations on a great career!

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Brodeur is only "legendary" because for years he had a great defense that played to his style. Take away the defense and he is still above average, but anything but legendary.
    I guess we'll just agree to disagree then. He's one of the greatest goalies of all time and imo the only people that come close are Hasek and Roy. The fact that he's 40 years old and hes fresh off out-dueling the likely Vezina winner plus was on the edge of beating another last night. The fact that he still stacks the pads is legendary. When that great defense was on the way out the door, he also had one of his best seasons in the NHL. 48 wins in a single season is amazing especially when he only really had Rafalski on the D.

Oh, wow. Flames actually were able to weasel Hartley away from Montrael. I assume he just didn't want to coach in that pressure pot. Can't imagine what it would be like to coach a losing Canadiens team, or even a winning one for that matter. Sucks that this doesn't solve our real problems like aging stars but hopefully it's a start.
    Last edited by Zeoni; 2012-05-31 at 06:20 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    I dunno dude.

3 Stanley Cups
    2 Olympic Golds
    4 Vezina Trophy's
    10 All-Star appearances

Just to name a few accomplishments. Not the best goalie of all time, but definitely one of the best in the last 20 years.

If you're gonna say Brodeur isn't a legendary goaltender, I'd really love to know who you think deserves that title. He is one of the best of all time, and I didn't think there was any doubt about that before. I've never heard of him having a bad attitude, but I honestly don't think that should add or detract from what he does on the ice. And everyone can make the argument that any player who does well only does so because of the team surrounding him; it still shouldn't take away from their accomplishments.

If you don't like a player because of any given reason, that's cool. There are plenty of great players I don't especially care for because of their attitudes. Even Gretzky has been a dick to his fans in the past. But I try to distinguish the person from the player and not take away from their achievements in the game, even though it is hard sometimes to give a dickhead credit for at least being a talented dickhead. And even if he was an asshole in the past, people can change. If he made a bad comment on an off day or thought he was hot shit at some point in his career, it doesn't mean he still does. I haven't seen anything from him in years to indicate he thinks the way some people think he does.

10+ Year Old Account
    he's over 200 wins past Sawchuk and 16 shutouts ahead, and I don't know about everybody else, but when I started following hockey those records looked pretty insurmountable

Sawchuk had held the shutout record for about 30 years already when Brodeur entered the league and there wasn't exactly anybody looking like they had a shot at breaking it

the guy has laid waste to every major record and he has 3 rings, even if I hated his guts I'd have to be pretty delusional to not think him among the best ever

10+ Year Old Account
    I teared up a bit during the retirement speech as well :x.
    Was hard not too as a Wings fan. Watching the "Perfect Human Being" walk away from the game is sad. Oh well, at least people will stop bringing up Detroit's age.

As for Brodeur, the guy is top 5 all time, you don't break every record possible without being great. Can only think of Roy, Sawchuk, and Hasek being better.
    You can tell WoW changed the MMO for good when players started complaining about the amount of time they sink, into a time sink.

15+ Year Old Account
    I teared up a bit during the retirement speech as well :x.
    Was hard not too as a Wings fan. Watching the "Perfect Human Being" walk away from the game is sad. Oh well, at least people will stop bringing up Detroit's age.
    Not being a Red Wings fan (albiet I don't mind them) I will say it was cool to see the outpouring of support and tributes today on twitter for him. The top 3-4 TT in Canada were about him. Lots of cool positive stuff and links to vids showing off his career. Certainly a hall-of-fame player. Certainly someone that will be missed.

Now Detroit frees up a tonne of cash. Do you think they're going to go for rookies or for experience? lots of players up for grabs this off-season. I've heard some people mention Parise as someone they want. Would hurt my heart to see the devils lose him but I dunno if they can ultimately afford to keep him.

As I said before, watching the press conference made me tear up a little but I think this really did in it. A little something from all the players around league...really brings a smile to your face to see how much he was admired around the league. I'm sure there are a TON more than this but this is all I could find.

http://thehockeywriters.com/players-...ms-retirement/

15+ Year Old Account
    Its great to see how universally revered some players still are. There just aren't that many guys that are respected and revered among everyone in their sport and even by guys in other sports. There are even fewer that you can say that for when it comes to the fans. Lidstrom was one of those few guys.

The lack of a game until Saturday is super stupid.

---------- Post added 2012-06-01 at 12:43 PM ----------

Gabby is out up to 6 months for the Rangers with a torn labrum requiring surgery.
    Last edited by conscript; 2012-06-01 at 04:43 PM.

10+ Year Old Account

15+ Year Old Account
    Its great to see how universally revered some players still are. There just aren't that many guys that are respected and revered among everyone in their sport and even by guys in other sports. There are even fewer that you can say that for when it comes to the fans. Lidstrom was one of those few guys.
    I think the Chicago fan posting this image above me here is yet more proof of that.

Edit: Take note how I didn't give the Chicago fan the privilege of being referred to by name.

That was him early in his career, he came from Europe where stuff like that was expected.
    That's bs, it's not any more common in Europe than it is in North America.
    I don't hate you. I'm just not necessarily excited about your existence.