15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Garbles View Post
    Scott Gomez is in Chicago too. lol.
    He visiting Shedd Aquarium or something?

If Montreal buys him out and he signs there for next to nothing and rebirths his career I wouldn't be shocked at all. The Frenchness of Montreal if what is crushing his soul.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    I am curious as to know how Garth Snow still has a fucking job. Who trades away a guy like Marc Andre Bergeron and lets the team tank for 8 years in hopes of rebuilding, then attempting to trade all your picks just to get ONE player in the draft. Why hasn't that ass clown been sacked yet, he is a horrible GM and someone with a brain should take his place.

10+ Year Old Account
    Alexander Burrows is in Chicago for the NHLPA meetings. Dude doesn't even need bath salts to start biting people.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    I am curious as to know how Garth Snow still has a fucking job. Who trades away a guy like Marc Andre Bergeron and lets the team tank for 8 years in hopes of rebuilding, then attempting to trade all your picks just to get ONE player in the draft. Why hasn't that ass clown been sacked yet, he is a horrible GM and someone with a brain should take his place.
    I think Charlie Wang just doesn't give a shit at this point. I think he is just biding his time for another year or two until Long Island is forced to make a move to keep the Islanders or they bolt for Quebec, Seattle, etc. Being good now might hamper that ability by putting actual fans in the seats and making the team actually look financially viable in the current location with a new stadium. If they continue to suck, continue to have terrible attendance, etc. they could in theory have an easier time of convincing the league to let them leave for greener pastures. Then when they are in say Seattle, oh look all our draft picks are finally paying off and we no longer suck. Throw your money at our improving team Seattlites! And yes, this tinfoil hat scenario in no way jives with Garth Snow trying to trade away seven picks lol but they are the Islanders and stuff doesn't have to make sense. They won a whole shit ton of Cups in the 80s damn it!

10+ Year Old Account

^ Lu

Capitals' Alex Ovechkin, in Chicago for NHLPA meeting, on whether he's been to a players' association meeting before: "Just in Moscow."

Capitals' Alex Ovechkin on why he came to Chicago for NHLPA meeting: "Everybody has to be involved. It’s our lives."
    Last edited by Garbles; 2012-06-25 at 09:26 PM.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    How do hockey players have girlfriends when they listen to such shitty ass music? If I had to listen to that trash in the locker room I'd throw a garbage can at the radio and tell everyone to go get their ears replaced because they are obviously broken :P

---------- Post added 2012-06-25 at 05:57 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    He visiting Shedd Aquarium or something?

If Montreal buys him out and he signs there for next to nothing and rebirths his career I wouldn't be shocked at all. The Frenchness of Montreal if what is crushing his soul.
    Montreal won't buy him out, he will go on waivers before that happens.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    What are you talking about, signing Rick DiPietro was the best move in history.

Luongo in Chicago would be so funny. That rivalry would be that much more amazing lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    Columbus' GM needs a good slap to the back of the head here too. How could you not take that trade if your Columbus? Murray better have been raised by Lidstrom and Doughty for Columbus to not come off looking ridiculous.

Alexander Burrows is in Chicago for the NHLPA meetings. Dude doesn't even need bath salts to start biting people.
    I lol'd.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Greeney View Post
    Columbus' GM needs a good slap to the back of the head here too. How could you not take that trade if your Columbus? Murray better have been raised by Lidstrom and Doughty for Columbus to not come off looking ridiculous.
    I could understand if Nail fell to 2 and you felt he was a game changing All-NHL forward. But with Murray, I have read a ton of analysts that think Griffin Reinhart, the Isles actual pick at 4, is going to be a better NHLer. At best the difference between the two doesn't seem that drastic at all even by the most biased analysts so passing on six picks seems just dumb.

10+ Year Old Account
    RFA Compensations for this offseason:
    $1,110,249 or below - No Compensation
    Over $1,110,249 to $1,682,194 - 3rd round pick
    Over $1,682,194 to $3,364,391 - 2nd round pick
    Over $3,364,391 to $5,046,585 - 1st round pick, 3rd
    Over $5,046,585 to $6,728,781 - 1st round pick, 2nd, 3rd
    Over $6,728,781 To $8,410,976 - Two 1st Round Picks, 2nd, 3rd
    Over $8,410,976 - Four 1st Round Picks

Pointless since no one is going to offer sheet anyone, but thats what the numbers are for us to completely rip apart GM X for not offer sheeting Player Y.
    Over 5M, give up your first 3 picks? The fuck. No wonder Gms don't offer sheet players, that's fucking insane.

Also Pavelec is making waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much money. He had Crawford numbers and is gonna make 4M a year? The guy would be a backup on 24 other teams.
    Last edited by Irony; 2012-06-26 at 12:55 AM.
    You can tell WoW changed the MMO for good when players started complaining about the amount of time they sink, into a time sink.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Irony View Post
    Over 5M, give up your first 3 picks? The fuck. No wonder Gms don't offer sheet players, that's fucking insane.

Also Pavelec is making waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much money. He had Crawford numbers and is gonna make 4M a year? The guy would be a backup on 24 other teams.
    Well the players that fall in that range are usually pretty good if they aren't the overpaid shlubs belonging to Edmonton. $6.7 million isn't a far fetched range for a guy like Parise. I'd give up three picks in a heartbeat for a guy like that. Players like Datsyuk, Richards, Kovalchuk, Kane, Towes, the Sedins, etc. all fall into that compensation range. There are dozens of guys in there absolutely worth that return if they ever came up as an RFA. The higher range where you are giving up 4 picks or 4 first rounders only really apply to a guy like Stamkos, Crosby, Malkin, Ovechkin, Staal, that are likely already overpaid. The only way most players would ever reach that range would be a GM trying to really screw someone over.

And ya, that Pavelec salary seems pretty damn high.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well the players that fall in that range are usually pretty good if they aren't the overpaid shlubs belonging to Edmonton. $6.7 million isn't a far fetched range for a guy like Parise. I'd give up three picks in a heartbeat for a guy like that. Players like Datsyuk, Richards, Kovalchuk, Kane, Towes, the Sedins, etc. all fall into that compensation range. There are dozens of guys in there absolutely worth that return if they ever came up as an RFA. The higher range where you are giving up 4 picks or 4 first rounders only really apply to a guy like Stamkos, Crosby, Malkin, Ovechkin, Staal, that are likely already overpaid. The only way most players would ever reach that range would be a GM trying to really screw someone over.

And ya, that Pavelec salary seems pretty damn high.
    5M is too common a salary for compensation that high. Here is a list of players who make between 5M-6M

Krejci
    Bergeron
    Sharp
    Hossa
    Seabrook
    Keith
    Havlat
    Burns
    Pomminville
    Myers
    Richards
    Carter
    Grabovski
    Kessel
    Kesler
    Luongo
    Neal
    Martin
    Fleury
    Wisniewski
    Ribeiro
    St.Louis
    Plekanec
    Gionta
    Markov
    Tavares
    Visnovsky
    Gonchar
    Horcoff
    Hemsky
    Byfuglien
    Getzlaf
    Perry
    Ryan
    Yandle

If all of these players were RFA and I was a Gm, of these 35 players I'd give up 3 picks for 4 of them. 5M is too common a number thrown around to give up 3 picks, 5m-6m should be where you start giving up a first.
    Last edited by Irony; 2012-06-26 at 05:51 AM.
    You can tell WoW changed the MMO for good when players started complaining about the amount of time they sink, into a time sink.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Horcoff being mentioned with all those players is hilarious to me.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeoni View Post
    Its hilarious to everyone.

The RFA compensation is supposed to be painful. The cost has to be high or you will get a situation like the NBA where teams do it just to screw over other teams constantly. The NHL needs more of that, but they would rather have it be a penalty system than simply a method to try and improve your team. There are situations this offseason and certainly in past offseasons where teams should have used offer sheets even at that cost. Detroit freaking never drafts in the first round. It would be great to see them dish out one of those pick and a few later ones for a star player over the last couple years when they had the space to do it. In general the compensations are probably too steep, but the NHL is pretty dumb and stodgy about stuff like that.

10+ Year Old Account
    It is more than likely that the NHL just isn't too keen on it, so they make it almost pointless to even have the offer.

And yes, that Horcoff contract is amazingly stupid, arguably worse than the Gomez one. At least Gomez had more than one good season before being signed to 5.5+.

Also while looking up those players, did you know the Isles are STILL paying for Yashin? Good god Milbury you still haunt the Isles.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Irony View Post
    It is more than likely that the NHL just isn't too keen on it, so they make it almost pointless to even have the offer.

And yes, that Horcoff contract is amazingly stupid, arguably worse than the Gomez one. At least Gomez had more than one good season before being signed to 5.5+.

Also while looking up those players, did you know the Isles are STILL paying for Yashin? Good god Milbury you still haunt the Isles.
    That Yashin deal might just be the best thing ever. Making $2.2 million every year from 2007 until three seasons from now without having to play a minute is just incredible. Speaking of buyouts, I didn't realize the Lightning were still paying Vinny Prospal for another couple years at $1.2 million.

Looking at the buyout calculator, I didn't realize how much money the Habs would save buying out Gomez. They pay him $1.667 million for four years which saves $3.333 million in actual cash and cap space over the next four years. Seems like a deal rather than paying him $10 million over the next two seasons.

If the Devils bought out Kovy they would have to pay him until 2038 lol. Dipietro would take until 2030 to buyout at $1.5 million per year. Still better than paying $4.5 million until 2021.

---------- Post added 2012-06-26 at 10:51 AM ----------

The Red Wings are apparently going to offer Justin Schultz the max contract allowance he is eligible for AND a guaranteed spot on the roster. Not in Grand Rapids. Not a two way deal. A guaranteed roster spot. Please for the love of god get that done Holland. Reuniting him with college teammate Brenden Smith would be awesome. Suck on that "Detroit is too old and has no prospects" people (assuming this gets done on July 1) especially with flat out stealing Frk in the second round. Guy gets injured and drops an entire round and change in the draft. Hopefully he can rub that in some faces in a couple years.

---------- Post added 2012-06-26 at 12:36 PM ----------

Adam Oates is the next head coach of the Washington Crapitals. Yay for even more footage of demon face.
    Last edited by conscript; 2012-06-26 at 02:54 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Tomorrow is the deadline for PHX to get a deal done. After that we can all buy Nordique Jerseys again.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    I won't believe the team is moving until they're officially the Nordique's or Seattle _____. Been buzz about Phoenix moving for so long now and it just seems every year someone swoons in and bails them out.

15+ Year Old Account
    Sundin, Sakic, Oates, and Bure are new Hall of Fame members. No Shanny first ballot, still no Lindros. Glad Bure made it though. No idea how Sundin gets in over Shanny.

---------- Post added 2012-06-26 at 03:12 PM ----------

I won't believe the team is moving until they're officially the Nordique's or Seattle _____. Been buzz about Phoenix moving for so long now and it just seems every year someone swoons in and bails them out.
    They bail them out for literally a month, then the deal dies, and then Glendale pays the NHL $25 million to rent the team for a season which covers half their losses. Pathetic situation.

---------- Post added 2012-06-26 at 03:22 PM ----------

Tomorrow is the deadline for PHX to get a deal done. After that we can all buy Nordique Jerseys again.
    Lol deadline. The deadline to sell the team before the NHL would talk to relocation buyers was January 1st, 2012. That was only 6-7 months ago. AFAIK Glendale has an area lease deal in place to pay Jamison $300 million over 20 years to run the arena for them but that deal didn't get the support it needed at the city council meeting (4-2 with 1 abstaining, needed 5 to be adopted as an emergency initiative) and now the folks in Glendale has until July 8th to get ~1,800 signatures to make the arena lease a ballot issue which it will almost certainly lose. If they come up with the signatures between now and the 8th this is basically a dead deal, but until then who knows how much longer this sham will continue. It will probably go right up until Jamison either confirms that he doesn't have the money, as rumored, or he plops a briefcase full of cash on Bettman's desk.

Right away I am scared as hell of another owner with no money, especially considering the Yotes hemmorage money like crazy and that isn't changing anytime soon. This will turn into a Devils 2.0 problem in about a years time. There is no way the Yotes are going from losing $40 million or more to being profitable the next season. The ownership doesn't have enough money to buy the fucking team let alone cover those losses. They are going to end up taking huge chunks of money in loans to finance the team, like New Jersey did this season, and will be right back in this spot two years from now. Move the damn team Bettman you stubborn ass.

---------- Post added 2012-06-26 at 03:46 PM ----------

Speaking of future homes of NHL teams, Markham, Ontario is voting on their NHL arena tomorrow night at the city council meeting. If approved, the 18,000 seat arena is expected to break ground this year.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Byfuglien, Neal and Pominville sure as shit aren't 5 million dollar players, they are 2nd and 3rd line depth players worth 2.5-3.5 million a season at best. I could make the case that Krejci, Bergeron and Grabovski are worth in the 3.5-4.75 million a year salary, but the problem is that many GM's have really fucked over the whole offer sheet system by overpaying players as a whole who are at best 3rd line players on a skilled team, or 2nd liners on a good team. I'd pay Perry, Getzlaf and Ryan 6 million, same goes for Kessel, but none of the others on that list are worth over 4.5 million with the exception of Fluery since he is a great goalie.