Will we be doing a fantasy thing this year as well? I realize it's a little early, but I'd like to know if I should start looking for a random public league on yahoo.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    Chara was in two fights last year. Two. He has been in all of nine fights over the last five seasons. And if you want to watch him play for the excitement, I have two words for you:

Pavel
    Datsyuk
    and the entire league is right there with you saying those two words.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by VanillaO View Post
    Will we be doing a fantasy thing this year as well? I realize it's a little early, but I'd like to know if I should start looking for a random public league on yahoo.
    I'd league to, though I would like to move to a different site if we can. Yahoo is blocked at my work where I typically like to do most of my fantasy game planning.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just use a proxy then!

Teemu is back
    Last edited by Elgefar; 2013-08-30 at 07:57 PM. Reason: TEEMU!
    "Some people believe football is a matter of life and death, I am very disappointed with that attitude. I can assure you it is much, much more important than that".
    Bill Shankly
    "You're playing worse and worse every day and right now you're playing like it's next month".
    Herb Brooks

Quote Originally Posted by Stommped View Post
    Why are we saying Bruins last? Getting to watch a skyscraper like Z play and the small chance he'll get into a fight puts them easily as #1 for me.

Bruins > Caps > Wings > Flyers > Jackets > Canes
    because they like to watch disney on ice hockey you might as watch the KHL or euro league if you want that fast skating finesse game. If you want to watch mans hockey with hard hits aggressive skating and fights the the Bruin's are the team to watch.

Lol at all your varying suggestions. Kay thanks.

It's safe to say watching any hockey game is pretty much fun right? Not like watching an NBA game sucks if you don't see a superstar player/super team, right?

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skandulous View Post
    because they like to watch disney on ice hockey you might as watch the KHL or euro league if you want that fast skating finesse game. If you want to watch mans hockey with hard hits aggressive skating and fights the the Bruin's are the team to watch.
    Boston had less fights then Toronto did iirc. Hell, the Leafs lead the league in PIM. Boston is physically strong, but they aren't a fighting team.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skandulous View Post
    because that hard hitting style definately beats finesse teams when it comes right down to it. i mean after all you guys beat chicago for the cup....oh wait.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    Boston had less fights then Toronto did iirc. Hell, the Leafs lead the league in PIM. Boston is physically strong, but they aren't a fighting team.
    Boston also had less fights than Philly and that beacon of physicality, the Columbus Blue Jackets. Boston had one more than the Lightning and four more than Vancouver, neither of which are physical teams. Boston had 32 fighting majors last year, 12 less than the Leafs.

And seriously, why would anyone in their right mind make the argument that fighting should matter in selecting a hockey game to see? What is more important, a 30 second fight or the other 59:30 of exciting hockey? If you want to see fighting go to a boxing match or a UFC event.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by marcelos11 View Post
    because that hard hitting style definately beats finesse teams when it comes right down to it. i mean after all you guys beat chicago for the cup....oh wait.
    I'm not sure folks that got eliminated by Chicago should shit talk others that got eliminated by Chicago

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    I'm not sure folks that got eliminated by Chicago should shit talk others that got eliminated by Chicago
    maybe not, but i could point out that Detroit was the ONLY team to take chicago to 7 games.
    Not Boston.
    Not LA.
    Detroit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Whats this? draynay thinks my shit talking is banal and pointless? I know exactly how to respond! I'll talk more shit!

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think fighting majors is a good way to look at how physical a team is, hits is a better indicator (which Boston was 10th last year, lower than I expected, Toronto was 1st by A LOT). Still I can't think of any reason why you would prefer to go to a game against the Canes or Jackets over the Bruins. I was shocked when a couple of you guys put them last on that list.

So happy that the NHL finally joined the 21st century and every team will play the other conference's teams home and away. The majority of the games I go to this year will be against eastern teams because I have so rarely seen them, and quite frankly they have more star power than the West.
    Last edited by Stommped; 2013-09-01 at 04:21 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I haven't been to a game in so long, I think the last game I went to was Malkin scoring 2, including in OT to extend his rookie goal streak.

I favor going to the rarer match-ups against the eastern teams too, plus I hate the teams in our division/conference/whatever, bunch of assholes they are.

Still I can't think of any reason why you would prefer to go to a game against the Canes or Jackets over the Bruins. I was shocked when a couple of you guys put them last on that list.
    Canes is one of my favourite teams, Bluejackets have something going on, Bruins apart from Söderberg, Savard and Eriksson is a team made for cheap shots.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think fighting majors is a good way to look at how physical a team is, hits is a better indicator (which Boston was 10th last year, lower than I expected, Toronto was 1st by A LOT). Still I can't think of any reason why you would prefer to go to a game against the Canes or Jackets over the Bruins. I was shocked when a couple of you guys put them last on that list.

So happy that the NHL finally joined the 21st century and every team will play the other conference's teams home and away. The majority of the games I go to this year will be against eastern teams because I have so rarely seen them, and quite frankly they have more star power than the West.
    My biggest concern is that the Leafs lost Komarov, who was literally a hitting freight train for us last season. I don't think Bolland and Clarkson are going too be able to fill that void easily but we still have a good physical team. I just hope they don't have burnouts from playing that style of game.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    Boston also had less fights than Philly and that beacon of physicality, the Columbus Blue Jackets. Boston had one more than the Lightning and four more than Vancouver, neither of which are physical teams. Boston had 32 fighting majors last year, 12 less than the Leafs.

And seriously, why would anyone in their right mind make the argument that fighting should matter in selecting a hockey game to see? What is more important, a 30 second fight or the other 59:30 of exciting hockey? If you want to see fighting go to a boxing match or a UFC event.
    I disagree, fighting has it's place in hockey and the fans love it. You have to understand that old time hockey is still very much a thing in Toronto, much like how Montreal still builds their team with smaller faster skaters rather then large body heavy hitting guys with lots of skill. It's what the fans want to watch, and the Habs fans hate the Leafs for exactly this reason, because we have proven that toughness and fighting still have a place in the NHL. Fans still enjoy the skill game in Toronto, but having that grit and ability to get under the skin of other teams is really what makes hockey fun to watch. You honestly can't tell me it's not hilarious when a teams star gets thrown in the box because he is pissed off at getting tossed around by the opposition who are shutting him down.

More fans come to Hockey because of the fights than stay home because of them.
    I want fights to be allowed (as they are now), but I don't want them to ever be expected or guaranteed.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    If you look at Toronto last year, they had multiple games with multiple fights, hell the one game against Montreal where that little whiner named Pacioretty attempted to suffocate Grabovski then cried cause he got nipped on the finger when one of his fingers wound up in his mouth, that game had what, like 5 fights in it? That's what rivalry does, the NHL could only dream of having that kind of rivalry and hatred between teams in America, but it's great for the ratings here in Canada. Fighting is good for the game if it isn't staged and that is one of the biggest issues. When you see two guys go out there and just fight at the start of a game, that is stupid, and one of the things I disliked most about the Leafs last year because it happened frequently. If you are down a goal in a close game and want to rally your team, that is the time to start a fight, not at the beginning. Early in the season is a good time to fight more frequently as it shows that you aren't a team that is going to be pushed around.

The fights in that game weren't so much fights as they were just hilarious. The look on McLaren's face as he toyed with Gorges was priceless... I still laugh thinking about watching that whole exchange.

10+ Year Old Account
    In favor of keeping fighting there's a lot of 'goons' that are likeable guys too. I'm thinking dudes like Stu Grimson or George Parros in particular. I still fondly remember Grimson scoring a goal that deflected off his head while he just meandered near the net. There's plenty of scumbags too, I know we had Matt Johnson and that guy was nothing but a thug, his cheap shot on Beukeboom is still one of the worst* things I've seen in this game, sorry which way was I arguing?

*Gary Suter on Paul Kariya was worse, pardon my west coast bias