15+ Year Old Account
    mirix, fuzzzie has said drop it.
    conscript has said drop it.
    and juno has reinforced that we are supposed to drop it.
    my recommendation is that you drop it.

Quote Originally Posted by mirix View Post
    What's funny is, people who don't play hockey, but think every time a player falls to the ice, it's a dive.
    It's not that someone falls to the ice, as you can simply lose an edge or your balance and fall. It's those (*cough* Crosby *cough*) who go down flailing from a bump, and either cover their head or exaggerate a hit excessively. While it is part of sports to try and get calls, and many players do it in key spots - Crosby's history of it is where he gets the most shit. If he doesn't want the reputation - he needs to completely cut it out for multiple seasons and give people ZERO evidence of diving/whining. He brought this upon himself with his history, and as such I don't nor should anyone feel sorry for him.

"It may be your $14.99, but it's the raid's $374.75" -- Ralask <Nether>, Senjin.
    Mage Moderator | Forum Guidelines | MMO IRC | Arcane Mage FAQ | TT7 R.I.P.

10+ Year Old Account
    At this point in time, I'm just fishing for topics but... How the fuck are the Panthers one win away from advancing to the second round? The fucking panthers with their 5 nameable players.
    You can tell WoW changed the MMO for good when players started complaining about the amount of time they sink, into a time sink.

Quote Originally Posted by Irony View Post
    At this point in time, I'm just fishing for topics but... How the fuck are the Panthers one win away from advancing to the second round? The fucking panthers with their 5 nameable players.
    I actually called it that the Panthers would win the Southeast and make it to the playoffs and do fairly well this season. Tallon did a great job. It's kind of like the movie Moneyball, they didn't go for big name players, they went for mediocre players that would play well together as a team. Bergenheim did a phenomenal job last year in the playoffs, he was a great pickup.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because Dale Tallon is the man.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    The Panthers have been as much of a surprise as the Senators have been this year, and it's one of the reasons why I said that the East was a much tougher conference this year over last. I mean, both conferences have some really good teams in them, and it's not like 1-8 seeds were all locked teams guaranteed to make the playoffs. In the East you had the Jets, Leafs and Lightning who are all very talented teams that need a couple of key pieces to make them playoff bound teams, I don't think anyone is a lock for the playoffs next season to be honest, especially if those teams get what they need this summer. If Toronto hadn't of shit the bed in February, they would have made the post season but everything fell apart at the same time it seems. Dallas was surprising in the West this year, Minnesota really looked early on to be one of the top teams in the conference and much like the Leafs, really just shit the bed.

There were some great stories right off the hop this season, and a lot of surprises along the way, Ottawa struggling but found a way to get to the playoffs, Toronto and Minnesota with strong starts, end of the season battles for playoff positions, I think this has been one of the best seasons of hockey from a total league wide skill level aside from the few teams who really were bad all season (Anaheim, Carolina, Columbus, Edmonton and Montreal).

15+ Year Old Account
    They have way more than 5 nameable players. The Panthers are a bizarrely amazing built team. The Panthers look exactly what a team would look like if you did a fantasy draft in an NHL 12 franchise or started with the Panthers and then traded prospects, picks, and current players for the best guys you could get. You end up with essentially one top pair defenseman, nine second line forwards, a solid veteran goalie, a solid career back up goalie, the franchise player (Weiss) that you don't move in a trade and then mediocre to awful pieces everywhere else. It is a fascinating study in frugality and quality. Mirix is exactly right, it is the NHL equivalent of Moneyball.

Nameable players that hockey fans know or have heard of at least:
    Jose Theodore
    Ed Jovonowski
    Brian Campbell
    Stephen Weiss
    Sean Bergenheim
    Kris Versteeg (probably only known through the curses of Toronto fans)
    John Madden
    Tom Fleischmenn
    Marco Sturm
    Scottie Upshall
    Mike Samuelsson
    Wojtek Wolski

I think I can name more players on their team off the top of my head than just about any non-Red Wings team in the league that is how incredibly bizarre that roster is.

---------- Post added 2012-04-23 at 07:09 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    The Panthers have been as much of a surprise as the Senators have been this year, and it's one of the reasons why I said that the East was a much tougher conference this year over last.
    No way. People expected the Panthers to improve. Not many saw the collapse of Washington so they weren't trendy in division picks, but a lot of people had them as competing for the 8th seed. Ottawa was basically the unanimous 15th seed pick in the East by everyone. That they were in the fight for the division for most of the year is truly a miracle.

---------- Post added 2012-04-23 at 07:11 PM ----------

Chats is up: http://webchat.quakenet.org/?channels=#mmoc-hockey
    Come talk trash about the Rangers! (which makes me sad because I really wanted the Rangers to win this series and probably the East).

Actually.
    Yea. I can sign on knowing just about anyone you named there.
    I think it's more to do with people automatically neglecting people in the Florida uniform.

But I think it's fair to say that all Phoenix/Ottawa/Florida's GMs been doing it great this year.
    &nbsp;

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    They have way more than 5 nameable players. The Panthers are a bizarrely amazing built team. The Panthers look exactly what a team would look like if you did a fantasy draft in an NHL 12 franchise or started with the Panthers and then traded prospects, picks, and current players for the best guys you could get. You end up with essentially one top pair defenseman, nine second line forwards, a solid veteran goalie, a solid career back up goalie, the franchise player (Weiss) that you don't move in a trade and then mediocre to awful pieces everywhere else. It is a fascinating study in frugality and quality. Mirix is exactly right, it is the NHL equivalent of Moneyball.

Nameable players that hockey fans know or have heard of at least:
    Jose Theodore
    Ed Jovonowski
    Brian Campbell
    Stephen Weiss
    Sean Bergenheim
    Kris Versteeg (probably only known through the curses of Toronto fans)
    John Madden
    Tom Fleischmenn
    Marco Sturm
    Scottie Upshall
    Mike Samuelsson
    Wojtek Wolski

I think I can name more players on their team off the top of my head than just about any non-Red Wings team in the league that is how incredibly bizarre that roster is.

I know every single one of those players, but I had no clue they played for the Panthers. I can name 12 Blue Jackets, 15 Coyotes, 11 Islanders and 9 Wild players. Yet when it got to Florida, I got stuck on 5.
    You can tell WoW changed the MMO for good when players started complaining about the amount of time they sink, into a time sink.

10+ Year Old Account
    Looking forward to Blues-Kings. I love the way these teams play. Physical, defensive hockey with elite goaltending. I haven't had a chance to watch the Kings much this season (Blues fan). How do the Kings stack up to St. Louis speed-wise? I was surprised at how the Blues ran circles around the Sharks, but I guess I shouldn't have given the way the Sharks are built. Caught some of the action against the Canucks and the Kings looked good.

This should be a great series!
    EverQuest, City of Heroes, Star Wars Galaxies, EverQuest II, World of Warcraft, Guild Wars, Star Wars TOR, Guild Wars 2, Rift.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by marcelos11 View Post
    So who gets the Norris Nods?
    Im going Weber Chara Lidstrom. (again). no idea on the winner, probably Weber.
    You're forgetting someone very obvious. Hint: Prust just hit him 2 seconds after the whistle, 5 feet from the boards and didn't get a penalty. I know scoring isn't a deciding factor but he has a godly amount of points for a defenseman.

15+ Year Old Account
    I don't mind the crosby shit too much, but if it's becoming the sole focus of discussion then I think we should move on. Anyways, most of you have. Thank you.

Also, if you want to argue about hockey or whatever, just use the IRC chat. No one will get shit there at all.

BTW, it's up for tonights games.
    http://webchat.quakenet.org/?channels=#mmoc-hockey

1-0 Ottawa.. good grief Rangers...

I won't complain about the Rangers... only the Pens and Rangers scared me in the East as a Flyers fan... Pens just because the scoring ability (and initially Fleury's ability to be a wall but LOL @ that)... and the Rangers just match up perfectly against the Flyers, primary reason they swept us this year.

Honorary Ottawa fan for first round.

"It may be your $14.99, but it's the raid's $374.75" -- Ralask <Nether>, Senjin.

10+ Year Old Account
    Rangers are done. It's like they don't even want to pretend this is an important game...

Quote Originally Posted by Regennis View Post
    Rangers are done. It's like they don't even want to pretend this is an important game...
    Wouldn't say that... they just put up the equalizer midway through the second - and now a PP chance.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Heilige View Post
    Wouldn't say that... they just put up the equalizer midway through the second - and now a PP chance.
    Whenever I talk bad about my Rangers, they score goals so I am just motivating them lol

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Regennis View Post
    Whenever I talk bad about my Rangers, they score goals so I am just motivating them lol
    Praise them, I want to see what happens.

Well at least Chicago still has the Cubs to cheer for. Oh wait...

10+ Year Old Account
    chicago looks done....

10+ Year Old Account
    So funny how we dominated this entire game and end up getting blown out, probably even shut out. Thanks for not being there when we needed you Crawford. I've had enough.