10+ Year Old Account
    nobody talks about your bad contract situations when you've got a Cup, I like it, its going to get out of hand after next season though, so I'll just enjoy the temporary tranquility

10+ Year Old Account
    30M locked up for 5 players? LA Lightning?
    You can tell WoW changed the MMO for good when players started complaining about the amount of time they sink, into a time sink.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    Its hard to saddle them completely with the blame for that teams issues. They handed out A LOT of bad contracts over the last 3-4 years. Prior to tricking Florida into taking Campbell they had about $20 million tied up in 3 defenseman, another $23 million tied up in four forwards. It is a tough model to build on and not one you can really blame all that much on the players. The GM is the one dishing out those above market contracts. At least Chicago got the term right on everyone but Hossa and Keith who they signed to stupidly long deals. The other guys they locked into only 5 year deals which are at least flexible via trade (you know, assuming they hadn't given them all NMCs except for Sharp who has a modified NTC and Kane who only has an NMC in 2014 (Hint: Kane won't be a Blackhawk in 2014-15)). Frankly I'm surprised Kane is still a Hawk. I honestly figured they would have moved him as part of a package to fix that giant hole they have between the pipes with with Luongo or Ryan Miller (since Buffalo stupidly dangles him occasionally) by this time in the offseason. I wouldn't be surprised if he is gone before the season starts.

That got off track a bit, but I could see the Hawks winning again. They are going to have to unload a contract or two to actually build up their depth unless they have some good players brewing in the AHL and elsewhere(Rockford's top guy had 61 points but he is like 31 lol), but I don't think they are doomed by any stretch like Tampa pretty much is with $30 million tied up in their top five forwards next year, about two of whom actually deserve the money they make.
    The problem is building a team under the salary cap is that players keep thinking they should be getting paid more and more, which is fair considering how overblown NFL, NBA and MLB contracts are by comparison and hockey players probably feel like they are getting cheated. I think the league just needs to increase the salary cap to something like 85 or 90 million dollars and let teams spend whatever money they want, the teams that aren't going to be spending money are already dying or nearly dead so having a high salary cap shouldn't matter.

---------- Post added 2012-07-17 at 07:34 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Garbles View Post
    This could be Gary Bettman's third lockout as commissioner. If this happens him and Donald Fehr can go jump off a cliff.
    Not Fehr's fault that Buttman wants to be a Nazi.

---------- Post added 2012-07-17 at 07:36 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Darthvendor View Post
    A lot of people felt it had Garth Snow written all over it as far as the Shane Doan offer, but I guess we wont know until someone actually says it was them or he takes it/turns it down.
    Smells like an old Glen Sather offer to me.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    Smells like an old Glen Sather offer to me.
    I'm going to say something, well type something, and just try not to smile when you red it.

Wade Redden.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Exactly my point.

Brad Richards didn't exactly win them a Cup that's for sure, as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Lol Wade Redden.... People talk about Gomez being a waste of money? Lol.
    You can tell WoW changed the MMO for good when players started complaining about the amount of time they sink, into a time sink.

15+ Year Old Account
    Wings are apparently out of the Rick Nash hunt now. They made the Jackets a "hell of an offer"but Howson said no and essentially hung up. No negotiation, nothing. Supposedly they would have to offer Franzen, Filpula, along with two guys like Nyquist and Helm. Got to love Howson trying to get just an insane return on Nash to try and save his job.

15+ Year Old Account
    This side of an imaginary line in the sand
    I can almost guarantee no team will take Nash with the ludicrous things Howson wants in return. :|

With the exception of Toronto, mostly because I think Burke is just that brain dead.
    red panda red panda red panda!

15+ Year Old Account
    Wings are apparently out of the Rick Nash hunt now. They made the Jackets a "hell of an offer"but Howson said no and essentially hung up. No negotiation, nothing. Supposedly they would have to offer Franzen, Filpula, along with two guys like Nyquist and Helm. Got to love Howson trying to get just an insane return on Nash to try and save his job.
    lol helm filpula nyquist and franzen for nash? no thanks.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is why he is the worst GM in hockey. You can't be demanding an insane amount for a player, who doesn't want to play for you.

Also Filpulla and Helm would of been a bad trade for the Wings... Let alone Franz and Nyquist as well.
    Last edited by Irony; 2012-07-18 at 05:36 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Wings and Quincey settled their arbitration. 2 years, $3.55 and $4 million. A bit more than I'd like but I can handle those numbers.
    Last edited by conscript; 2012-07-18 at 07:14 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    2 years for Quincey. 3.55M and 4M. I'm fine with that price. Second year is a bit steep, but whatever.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Irony View Post
    2 years for Quincey. 3.55M and 4M. I'm fine with that price. Second year is a bit steep, but whatever.
    I am slightly concerned that that is going to hurt their ability to resign their bundle of UFA/RFAs next summer. Howard, Filp, White, Kindl, Smith, Nyquist, Miller, Brunner, Mursak, and Cleary all need to be resigned. Several of those guys are going to garner some serious raises (Howard, Kindl, Smith, Nyquist, Brunner, Mursak). I think White's fate comes down to Shea Weber's status. As much as I like White I don't know if they would keep him over the cheaper, younger, and comparable Kindl or the cheaper, younger, better Smith.

10+ Year Old Account
    Signing Howard, Filp, Brunner and Smith is gonna be expensive. Howard is the one I'm really concerned with. With how good he was, he deserves around 6M.

10+ Year Old Account

So apparently Weber signed an offer sheet from Philly for 14 years and over 100 million... wow.

EDIT

So that's either 4 first rounders over the next 4 years, or 2 firsts 1 second and 1 third (not sure which years for second/third), depending on how much he's getting per year.

If I'm Nashville, and I either have to commit 100 million to Weber with a team that has very little chance of legitimately competing for a cup, or getting those # of mid-late first round picks... I'm probably more inclined to take the picks.. Shitty.
    Last edited by VanillaO; 2012-07-19 at 05:52 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK. GOD DAMMIT PHILLY, HE WAS GONNA BE OURS NEXT SUMMER!

God fucking dammit.

---------- Post added 2012-07-19 at 06:47 AM ----------

Sign Semin now please, we now have no reason not to.

I think it would be hilarious if Nashville decided to troll Weber by matching the offer.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    They won't. If Weber did sign, Nashville is as good as a non playoff contender next year. The Flyers have pretty much guaranteed themselves a shot at the Cup next year if they did get Weber and have their replacement for Pronger.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by VanillaO View Post
    So apparently Weber signed an offer sheet from Philly for 14 years and over 100 million... wow.

EDIT

So that's either 4 first rounders over the next 4 years, or 2 firsts 1 second and 1 third (not sure which years for second/third), depending on how much he's getting per year.

If I'm Nashville, and I either have to commit 100 million to Weber with a team that has very little chance of legitimately competing for a cup, or getting those # of mid-late first round picks... I'm probably more inclined to take the picks.. Shitty.
    I can't believe Weber signed a long term offer sheet. Congratulations to him on now being a Pred for life since they will almost certainly match that since they have said they would commit those sort of terms and money to him. I honestly figured Weber would have signed a one year sheet with someone to force Nashville to let him leave one way or the other. This is going to backfire on Weber big time if they match.

If they don't, poor Pekka Rinne. Extends thinking they are building a solid core around him and then the entire core leaves.