Deleted
    There is no way Poile is cutting Rinne loose right now without a proper replacement, not with Lindbäck gone too. If Suter had come clean about his plan not to return to Nashville early on I don't think Poile would have traded Lindbäck, no way. Yes, a full on rebuild is a definite possibility if the owners decide not to match, and they will have to move Rinne in the process. But I don't see Peks going anywhere this season, now without a proven goalie in return. If the Leafs want him the package has to include at the very least Gustavsson.
    Last edited by mmoceaf424ea73; 2012-07-21 at 11:46 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Anassi View Post
    There is no way Poile is cutting Rinne loose right now without a proper replacement, not with Lindbäck gone too. If Suter had come clean about his plan not to return to Nashville early on I don't think Poile would have traded Lindbäck, no way. Yes, a full on rebuild is a definite possibility if the owners decide not to match, and they will have to move Rinne in the process. But I don't see Peks going anywhere this season, now without a proven goalie in return. If the Leafs want him the package has to include at the very least Gustavsson.
    Monster is a Red Wing. They let him go and we signed him for next to nothing lol.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    Monster is a Red Wing. They let him go and we signed him for next to nothing lol.
    Ah, yes, I totally forgot. Then make that Reimer, even if I don't think much of him. But my point stands: No Peks without at least a halfway competent replacement goalie.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Also the price for Rinne is so much higher than that. He's god mode status and actually worth a lot of compensation because he's shown he can carry an offensively challenged team. Does he has a no trade or no move at all? If so, LOL GOOD LUCK remember the asking price for Weber? I don't even think they would trade him because they know without him, their team is utter shit. The ownership knows this and all they care about is making $ and they will lose so many fans if they lose all 3 of their top players. They will be okay without Suter, they MIGHT be able to scrape playoffs without Weber but without Rinne, this team is another Calgary Flames. Honestly, if I'm them I let Weber walk, take the 4 first round picks and try to trade for J-Bo. Obviously he's not even close to the same league as Weber but he can play top minutes vs the top players. I'm sure they can manage a couple other pieces to make the playoffs, sell some tickets and make the owners happy but they won't return to their potential for a bit now.

No, they shouldn't get rid of Rinne, but my point is that if you let Weber walk, you may as well start looking for a new home for Rinne. How long is a top-5 goalie in the NHL going to sit on a team that isn't making it out of the first round with a smile on his face?

Deleted
    Of course the price for Rinne will be much higher than Reimer, I think a 1:1 trade only happens in the wet dreams of hardcore Leaf fans. My point is that you can't let a god tier goaltender sit through years of rebuilding. If you decide to go into a full on rebuild (which might happen), then you can as well move Rinne, get a decent replacement and lots and lots of other compensation. There are so many teams desperate for an elite goaltender, especially after the 2012 playoffs have show just how far an elite goalie can carry an otherwise unremarkable team. Every single team in the conference finals had one of the top goalies backing them.

If you decide to either keep Weber or let him go without rebuilding from scratch then yeah, moving Rinne is not an option. But if you do rebuild and get a decent offer for him then why not?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeoni View Post
    Also the price for Rinne is so much higher than that. He's god mode status and actually worth a lot of compensation because he's shown he can carry an offensively challenged team. Does he has a no trade or no move at all? If so, LOL GOOD LUCK remember the asking price for Weber? I don't even think they would trade him because they know without him, their team is utter shit. The ownership knows this and all they care about is making $ and they will lose so many fans if they lose all 3 of their top players. They will be okay without Suter, they MIGHT be able to scrape playoffs without Weber but without Rinne, this team is another Calgary Flames. Honestly, if I'm them I let Weber walk, take the 4 first round picks and try to trade for J-Bo. Obviously he's not even close to the same league as Weber but he can play top minutes vs the top players. I'm sure they can manage a couple other pieces to make the playoffs, sell some tickets and make the owners happy but they won't return to their potential for a bit now.
    Rinne has an NMC and a modified NTC but Capgeek doesn't list the terms of the NTC. Either way, and NMC or NTC is completely irrelevant as the player waives those if they want to move. Also trading for Jay Bo if they lose Weber would be stupid. Phenomenally stupid. Why on earth would they give up assets for a guy that has two years left on his contract and will walk away then? They want to keep assets for a rebuild, not dish them out for a guy that will have about no impact on that rebuild. Even if he did stick around he would be 31 at the expiration of his current contract. As for the compensation they can reasonably expect it has to be similar to what Howson wants for Nash but the difference is someone would actually be willing to pay that high cost for Rinne. They could put him on the trade block and get an NHL player or two, a top prospect, and at least one first tomorrow for him.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Calgary wants to get rid of him, so the price really isn't that high + they would have 4 first round picks especially from Philly which would likely be a glorified 2nd round pick. I can see CGY giving him up for one of the Philly picks and a later round pick considering Bouwmeester's contract. They're going to need to sell tickets and to sell them, they still need to win some games. Very small price to pay for an extremely durable defense man. Do you realize he's the current iron man? He'll last well into his career and when this contract ends, I'm sure they will be able to rangle him for a lower price unless he gets all "I need to win a cup naow".

The only way he would possibly be moved is if we let Weber go and even then I'm not sure they do. The more I listen to other fans, local media, people around the organization, etc, I don't think they have any choice but to match. This is Nashville, not Toronto, Montreal, or the Rangers. We have essentially spent a decade being told that we are building this thing up slow, but once we do we are good for a while. Well people have seen the possibilities, and I'm not sure the team survives a full on rebuild here in this city.

People put faith in Poile when he said they would do whatever it took to resign the big three. I think now that if they don't match that most of the fans will see it as the inability for this ownership group, and Poile to play with the big boys. While I and some others might be willing to sit through yet another rebuild, I think the vast majority will move on and in a couple of years Nashville will be the team being sold to an owner for another city.

Apparently as well Weber has quietly said that he would have no issues playing in Nashville, otherwise he would have just road it out til he was an UFA. He basically did it to force Poiles hand and either sign him or let him go to a team with a reasonable shot at the cup. He basically didn't want to be stuck going somewhere he didn't want to go.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    We signed him originally for nothing so it wasn't a bad experiment.

15+ Year Old Account
    So Shawinigan destroyed the Memorial Cup:

Here is what it normally looks like

So aside from the obvious horrific damage to the actual Cup where it looks like someone actually shot it with a rifle and then took a saw to it, both of the sterling silver hockey players on the trophy have been broken off and are missing and the wooden base of the trophy is cracked and broken.

---------- Post added 2012-07-23 at 10:32 AM ----------

Lube Visnovsky has filed a grievance with the NHLPA to void his trade to the Islanders claiming his NTC was still valid at the time of the trade.
    Last edited by conscript; 2012-07-23 at 02:19 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's not the real Memorial cup, the real one is at the HoF. Still should be careful with it though.
    You can tell WoW changed the MMO for good when players started complaining about the amount of time they sink, into a time sink.

15+ Year Old Account
    Rick Nash is coming to MSG to replace the loss of Jeremy Lin. Trade in progress now, details later. Can't wait to see who ended up caving, Sather or Howson.

10+ Year Old Account
    Rick Nash to NY? Not surprising. 2 first rounders and a top 6 forward is my guess. Anismov or Dubinsky maybe. Maybe both if Sather caved.
    Last edited by Irony; 2012-07-23 at 06:24 PM.
    You can tell WoW changed the MMO for good when players started complaining about the amount of time they sink, into a time sink.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Irony View Post
    Rick Nash to NY? Not surprising. 2 first rounders and a top 6 forward is my guess. Anismov or Dubinsky maybe.
    Dub is almost certainly in. I am really, really hoping they didn't cave on that second NHL player/prospect to go along with those picks. Watching them lose Kreider to that shithole of a team in Columbus would be brutal. Dubinsky must have asked his agent to get a big countdown calendar for him that runs down to July 1, 2015 after hearing the news so he knows exactly how long he has to go until he can escape Columbus.

Sergei Kostitsyn, aka the not douche Kos, settled with Nashville, 2 years around $6 million

10+ Year Old Account
    So... Gaborik, Richards, Nash. That's a scary line...
    Well if Dub stayed in NY he would be under utilized. Stephan and Richards are better centers. He'll get to be top line in CLB.

Dear Holland, you can't get Nash now... Semin/Ryan? Pwease?

---------- Post added 2012-07-23 at 06:35 PM ----------

I just started looking at the Jackets roster. God they're a terrible team.
    Last edited by Irony; 2012-07-23 at 06:33 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    According to Dreger it is four pieces going back for Nash, Dubinsky, Erixson, and a 1st are three of those.

Speaking of the Blue Jackets, I'm just hoping Bobrovsky can survive and not have it ruin his potential career. Still sad to see him go but it was the best for him (well maybe not that team but to get a better shot at starting).

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Irony View Post
    I just started looking at the Jackets roster. God they're a terrible team.
    You had to look at their roster to know that? I'm baffled that I can even name five of their players still post-Nash and not including a Ranger: Tyutin, Johnson, Ums, Wiz, and Mason assuming Mason is even still on that team which he shouldn't be and if not I know they are still paying Mike Commodore buyout money so that counts. They are just a bad organization on and off the ice. I can't wait until they finish dead last this year again and somehow manage to fuck up even winning the draft lottery. Again. That is how bad of an organization Columbus is.

By the way, the host city for the All Star game has exactly zero guys you can even consider borderline All Stars.

10+ Year Old Account
    The Jackets actually have an ok defense. With Murray and Erixson added, it just gets better. It's better than the Flyers defense, but the Jackets spend so little time in the offensive zone, I doubt 6 Lidstroms would be enough for that team.