Well instead of the NHL watching the other leagues and learning from their mistakes, they are choosing to do things the hard way and learn as they go. You know I just can't understand either side in this deal, the longer this drags out the more both sides risk loosing.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    All they are losing is money, and for the teams operating at huge losses, they are actually saving money.

Quote Originally Posted by Armourboy View Post
    Well instead of the NHL watching the other leagues and learning from their mistakes, they are choosing to do things the hard way and learn as they go. You know I just can't understand either side in this deal, the longer this drags out the more both sides risk loosing.
    Now Im not totally certain of each NHL owner but generally the owners of professional teams make their money in a lot of other places besides owning the team. Sometimes the team actually isnt gaining them much money at all compared to their other businesses, its just something they like because they are passionate about the sport. Either way, usually its the players who have far more to lose than the owners, who can easily survive without NHL revenue.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Both sides have everything to lose financially, but the players can always find jobs elsewhere. What do the owners have? Nothing else aside from their primary interests and whatever business they used to buy the team in the first place. What do all the arena employees have? Nothing, while the arena's sit empty on many nights, their source of income dwindles due to lack of games. What normally is probably a 40 or 50 hour work week is now a 25 hour work week because the arena's are generally booked for concerts as well.

15+ Year Old Account
    http://sports.nationalpost.com/2012/...establishment/

According to Lupul, the Leafs players are not allowed to make reservations at the bar next to the ACC that is owner by the team lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wow... What a dick move.
    You can tell WoW changed the MMO for good when players started complaining about the amount of time they sink, into a time sink.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    I thought Lupul was playing in Russia...

I hope they would cancel the season already(its ruined now afterall). So i could see both Koivu's on the ice at the same time <3 HC TPS

We have now Russell, Martinez, Shattenkirk and S.Koivu is practicing with the team (starts games after Xmas break). We had M.Koivu and Lauri Korpikoski too, and i hope they will come back in January. Mayby Sami Salo is coming too!

Good times! Its awesome to see NHL-Players already having great time with their Lockout teams<3
    And its great to actually see them play in live.

15+ Year Old Account
    I'm pretty sure NBC bought Versus specifically for hockey...they're probably not pleased either.

You'd think a major network could have some kind of influence in these matters...guess not.
    "There are two types of guys in this world. Guys who sniff their fingers after scratching their balls, and dirty fucking liars." -StylesClashv3
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    Not finding-a-cock-on-your-girlfriend-is-normal level of odd, but nevertheless, still odd.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Toxigen View Post
    I'm pretty sure NBC bought Versus specifically for hockey...they're probably not pleased either.

You'd think a major network could have some kind of influence in these matters...guess not.
    Comcast owns the Flyers (and NBC) so they are as responsible for the lockout as anyone.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    The thing that makes me the most angry is the fact that this season we're missing out on, was shaping up to be quite good. Luongo moving out of Vancouver, Minnesota with their big acquisitions, LA Kings playoff dominance continuation into the season perhaps? Just 3 of the things I was looking to personally on top of my own team. Every team pretty much had a question mark with the exception of a couple of how their season would shape up to be. The Jets second season, Red Wings without Lidstrom, seeing if the Blues could repeat their strong performance from last year. Maybe it's just because we don't have hockey right now but I feel genuinely robbed of what could have been. Right now, I'm just hoping this doesn't turn into a complete mess that might cause us to lose some of next season too.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeoni View Post
    I'm just hoping this doesn't turn into a complete mess that might cause us to lose some of next season too.
    If it were to extend to next season they may as well just pack the league in all together.

15+ Year Old Account
    Bill Daly said the drop dead date is somewhere in mid-January. So considering they have no meetings planner and the holidays are coming up, there is like a 7 day window left to get a deal done before the season is over. Even at this point if they get a deal done, does anyone really want to watch a fucking 40 game season? If they try and stretch it to 50 the season will end in July.

I just hope when this is finally done and the season is cancelled and then a deal is done that someone works up the math to compare what the financial gains look like for the owners and see if they exceed the $3 billion in HHR they sacrificed thanks to cancelling an entire fucking season again.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    Bill Daly said the drop dead date is somewhere in mid-January. So considering they have no meetings planner and the holidays are coming up, there is like a 7 day window left to get a deal done before the season is over. Even at this point if they get a deal done, does anyone really want to watch a fucking 40 game season? If they try and stretch it to 50 the season will end in July.
    The season's been done for me since about early/mid November. I just stopped caring. I love Hockey a lot, but this is disgraceful. I'm beyond blame and reasoning at this point. They've torn the hearts out of Hockey fans both north and south of the border. If the league folds I would be grateful, if only to see real hockey played by passionate individuals arise from whatever is left.

Can someone link me to a general rundown of what` is going on. I haven't been paying any attention to any of this. (The whole lockout deal)
    I remember it all too well

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xevan View Post
    Can someone link me to a general rundown of what` is going on. I haven't been paying any attention to any of this. (The whole lockout deal)
    Bettman is an asshole. Fehr is an asshole. Thats about it.

15+ Year Old Account
    The players and owners are literally somewhere between $190 and 300 million apart. That minor amount is keeping a deal from being done. They are also off on contract lengths and the overall length of the new CBA. Owners want a 10 year with an 8 year opt out. Players want a 5 year so they can opt on right before the NHL's 100th season forcing the league to actually not try to take billions from them again and risk killing the leagues biggest marketing opportunity in years. Last I heard they haven't even began to discuss non-contractual stuff like international play which the NHL wants to ban the players from participating in. No discussions scheduled. Mediation has failed twice. Drop dead date in roughly three weeks.

10+ Year Old Account
    nothing is happening, nothing has happened, nothing will happen

10+ Year Old Account

15+ Year Old Account
    NHL cancelled games until Jan 14th today. Jan 14th is also the presumed drop dead day so the season is just about over folks.