10+ Year Old Account
    Scott Gomez and Wade Redden officially waived and bought out.
    You can tell WoW changed the MMO for good when players started complaining about the amount of time they sink, into a time sink.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    it sounds like they're trying to solve that whole debacle with sticking guys in the minors and avoiding the cap hit, which is nuts, well, I guess they aren't fixing it exactly so much as trying to fix contract buyouts

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/88...ts-source-says
    Well, the new CBA brought with it a new rule that people have forgotten about. Teams are no longer allowed to bury contracts with such a high cap hit in the minors in order to clear up cap space. Basically, the owners forced themselves to either use the buyouts or let contracts expire.

---------- Post added 2013-01-16 at 04:18 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Greeney View Post
    Dear Toronto Management,

Go offer sheet Jamie Benn. Now.
    Doubt it will happen, they are going to give up more then what the offer sheet signing is worth in terms of picks. If they traded for his rights, that would be a cheaper option.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Irony View Post
    Scott Gomez and Wade Redden officially waived and bought out.
    Only problem with Gomer now is we need to make sure he does not hurt himself while he isnt playing! As long as hes not injured come official buyout were good! That little loop where if he gets hurt training in the mean time and will hit the cap sucks the big one

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    The players signed an agreement allowing teams to use one of the amnesty buyouts before the season starts, otherwise neither player would have hit waivers today. The reason being that the players had to sign the agreement was due to the fact that it wasn't part of the CBA, the union felt a lot of jobs were going to be lost because of the buyout amnesty clause being allowed right before the start of this shortened season. Since both Gomez and Redden were told they weren't going to be playing for their NHL clubs despite having contracts, the union agreed to allow teams to use one of their buyout amnesties if they wanted to. Otherwise the buyout amnesty won't take effect until the summer.

Redden and Gomez being on waivers means that if a team wants them, they only have to pay half their salary for the year and then they take on the contract after the season is over.

Quote Originally Posted by Garbles View Post
    Florida Panthers season tickets start at $7 per game. This includes free parking AND a free Panthers sweater. Wow. I want that.
    Filling the building is great, but when you look at attendance figures, it can be deceiving. San Jose who has great fans and sold out every game and every suite, they STILL lost millions last year. Why? Because tickets are so cheap. If they were to raise them to make a profit, I don't think many fans would show up. It only works in Canada and big markets like New York (rangers) etc.

15+ Year Old Account
    maybe detroit can start there series against saint louis the way they ended last years series.
    with a win.
    in saint louis.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Leafs deal Lombardi for a conditional 3rd round pick (4th if he doesn't sign with them) to Phoenix.

15+ Year Old Account
    We really need one more person to sign up for fantasy hockey. Like today.

Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    Leafs deal Lombardi for a conditional 3rd round pick (4th if he doesn't sign with them) to Phoenix.
    Well. At least the Leafs got something for him I guess.

Well I guess the lockout isn't going to be hurting Nashville too much, first game is already sold out and I'm pretty sure the second is too. Granted I'm not sure how many are cheap seats, but from what I can gather not that many.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Armourboy View Post
    Well I guess the lockout isn't going to be hurting Nashville too much, first game is already sold out and I'm pretty sure the second is too. Granted I'm not sure how many are cheap seats, but from what I can gather not that many.
    Ya that actually isn't too bad. There are barely any tickets left to their opener on the secondary market and none of them are cheaper than like $75. However, the lockout is going to be devastating to the Preds for one reason and one reason alone. They already lose money in a full length season. They owe Shea Weber $26 million, not in salary but in cold hard cash bonus, in the next 9 months. Good luck with that Preds.

Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    We really need one more person to sign up for fantasy hockey. Like today.

Well. At least the Leafs got something for him I guess.
    Connolly on waivers, aucoin picked up by Tampa. Seems like JVR was lined up with Kadri & Komarov.

15+ Year Old Account
    Redden and Gomez will be officially bought out shortly now that they have cleared waivers (I know I was shocked too that no one wanted to take on their contracts). Red Wings reportedly interested in Redden. I hope not. I really do. Why keep Smith in Grand Rapids for a guy like Redden who hasn't been worthwhile in half a decade?

I am also going to laugh my ass off when Gomez goes to another team, gets in shape, and puts up 15 goals and 30 points this year.

I'd be surprised if no one picks up Connolly, actually... They'd essentially be paying him 1 year and 2.5 mill for a guy who could (if he gets his shit on track) get back to 50 points. At least I think that's how this is supposed to work.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by VanillaO View Post
    I'd be surprised if no one picks up Connolly, actually... They'd essentially be paying him 1 year and 2.5 mill for a guy who could (if he gets his shit on track) get back to 50 points. At least I think that's how this is supposed to work.
    Ya there is no way Conolly clears waivers. There is way too much potential there and WAYYYY too little of a salary for like half the league not to enter a claim.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hmm... He's a second liner capable of 50 points? Sounds like a future Florida Panther to me.
    You can tell WoW changed the MMO for good when players started complaining about the amount of time they sink, into a time sink.

Quote Originally Posted by Irony View Post
    Hmm... He's a second liner capable of 50 points? Sounds like a future Florida Panther to me.
    He would probably do well with any team where he doesn't feel too much pressure. Could see CBJ or NYI thinking about taking him.

10+ Year Old Account
    I actually wouldn't be surprised to see him go back to Buffalo, considering how garbage they are at Center, they could really use a cheap number 2.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    Redden and Gomez will be officially bought out shortly now that they have cleared waivers (I know I was shocked too that no one wanted to take on their contracts). Red Wings reportedly interested in Redden. I hope not. I really do. Why keep Smith in Grand Rapids for a guy like Redden who hasn't been worthwhile in half a decade?

I am also going to laugh my ass off when Gomez goes to another team, gets in shape, and puts up 15 goals and 30 points this year.
    still waiting for a southern team to go for the market potential, imagine a Gomez in southern california or texas. bilingual commercials, new markets, don't ad-guys cream themselves over opportunities like that?

who cares that his spanish is as bad as mine...

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    I think Redden gets picked up before Gomez. Gomez was terrible for Montrael where Redden was super over payed. On the plus, he's going to be cheap no matter what, unless he's just that greedy. He'll still be getting money from the buyout so I'd expect a team to take a shot at a 1-2m contract at Wade Redden. Especially a defense light team. He might not be a premiere d man anymore but I'm sure he isn't completely terrible.