Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Obsession View Post
    Most people with more than 200k get either lucky, are pretty good at the game (in a guild that sold Mimiron's head and invincible to people), or only spend their time on this game making money.
    I amassed most of my fortune through GDKP runs at the end of WotLK. By the time Cata was rolling around, I was running 3 25-man ICC GDKPs every week on my alts, and buying all of the BoEs to flip for profit. I've been slowly losing money in Cata as I gear up my many alts, but I'm still sitting on quite a large sum of gold with no real threat of running low any time soon.

Getting "rich" in WoW isn't at all difficult. It requires some addon know-how, and a lot of patience, but anyone can do it if they feel like it. People who have no gold seem to think there's some secret formula that we rich folk keep under lock and key, but the truth is we just put in the effort and are now reaping the rewards. I put in quite a lot of time at the beginning of Cata leveling alts and professions and setting up my addons to get my business up and running. These days I only spend about 45 minutes per day playing, and I make 3-5k gold every day doing my JC dailies, selling glyphs and LW bags, and flipping rare gems. If I had the patience to log in and relist my glyphs right before raid time, I could make an additional 1.5-3k gold per day... but I'd much rather be lazy.

Deleted
    I'm incredibly rubbish at making gold myself.

I have a level 85, two 81's, two 80's, a 78 and a 74.

The only professions I currently have maxed out are Mining, Herbalism and Alchemy. Currently working on Jewelcrafting (currently 470) now to be able to make a bit of cash for the first time in the game.

Finding it quite difficult though >.<

Just by going to the AH and buying low and selling high I make about 3k a week with maybe 1 hour of game time invested. Also old content mats can be a "gold" mine. ha see what i did their?

Theres a program that analyses all the undercuts on the Ah. You buy them all and resell at higher price.

Deleted
    For me it really doesn't help that I'm so out of touch with Cataclysm after a break for some time.

I'm going with the plan of transmuting Truegold (transmute mastery) every day for around 470g sales and transmuting rare gems for my JC to eventually cut.

Running out of both volatiles and Hessonite's / Nightstones though. Damned professions taking me forever!

you need to spend money to make money, that's rule number one.

for me, buying ore and prospecting and selling cut gems makes me the most.

spend 10k on ore, end up making 10k+ profit on top of my investment.

after xmuting a stockpile of rare gems/metas, i use all my extra uncommon gems to craft green JC rings/necks and DE them on my enchanter. Greater essences still sell for a pretty penny on my server(30-60g/each), and stacks of dusts sell pretty fast. DE 500-1000 rings per week.

being ruthless when it comes to the auction house helps.
    Last edited by LET JIMMY RAID; 2011-04-19 at 09:26 AM.

Fish. Fish are so expensive right now.

Deleted
    Looks like it's gonna have to be this Obsidium Shuffle business for me to get JC levelled up quite quickly then. Still another 55 points to go >.<

Could do with a x5 proc of Truegold tbfh -.-

Well m8. Peace Sells.... But Who's Buying?

Just play the AH, I made 100k+ before Cataclysm doing this.

Credit to Saate for this concept:

Every single method of making money boils down to 3 basic steps:

1. Find a way to generate income.
    2. Spend less than you make.
    3. Let time pass.

Most people on WoW are capable of coming up with something for number 1 (this thread is full of them), but numbers 2 and 3 are what seem to be the biggest killers of peoples' cash supply. Keeping track of what you're spending gold on and making sure to never spend outside your budget is something that would seem obvious, but it's not as common as you might think. Similarly, patience is important for making money. Get rich quick schemes almost never work, if only because there are likely to be a large number of other people trying to do the same thing (you see this sort of thing with rare items on the AH or with common gathering mats like ore).

Often the more successful people in terms of gold income don't focus in on one aspect of the market, they'll watch as many items on the AH as they can and try to buy low and sell high on pretty much anything they can find. Certain items will also sell differently at different times of the week - cut gems, for example, are more likely to sell during the Tuesday to Thursday frame at higher prices than on Sunday or Monday, as many raiding guilds down bosses and get loot that needs to be gemmed and enchanted early after the reset.

# Get a Brain
    # Buy things cheap
    # Sell things expensive
    # Profit

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zevia View Post
    Get rich quick schemes almost never work, if only because there are likely to be a large number of other people trying to do the same thing (you see this sort of thing with rare items on the AH or with common gathering mats like ore).
    I'll take that comment a step further and say there is no such thing as a "get rich quick" scheme. If you've thought of it, chances are 100 other people on your realm have thought about it.

Making gold is about diversifying your business over time and finding cheaper routes to obtain your raw materials. After that, it's about just being smart and not taking risks unless the payoff is worth it. I myself have never gone the "Buy low, sell high" route, because it's risky and time consuming to scan the AH for "deals". It works for some people, but flipping items isn't for everyone. I'm much more comfortable with my huge crafting business. Crafting is guaranteed income, but it's also a lot more complicated and difficult to manage than just buying and reselling items. You have to pick the business plan that suits your personality and abilities.

Deleted
    After posting in here for the past few days and coming back to Cataclysm recently I've decided to get in to a position to consciously make some gold (leveling Alchemy and Jewelcrafting) for the first time in 6 years.

After getting Alchemy maxed out I've started transmuting 1 Truegold every day which is a guaranteed 500g per day (with a chance of procs, which I haven't got yet -.-). All the gems I transmute are going to my JC who can't cut them yet, but will make shedloads soon enough.

I'm making Hessonite Bands of... at the moment which sell for around 300g if you proc a rare. Alongside making Frostweave Bags which go for 180g currently. I've managed to make around 2.5k overall in the past 4 days or so.

Once you get in to it, it really is quite easy. The only thing I struggle with is Inscription. You get undercut almost immediately on glyphs it seems

Whatever you do, remember that things can vary a lot from server to server.

Makaseru in the post above me says that he can sell blue procced Hessonite Bands of ... for around 300 gold. I struggle to sell mine for 80-90 gold (repeated relisting, etc.), and if it is a bad random stat combination, I might end up even just DEing it, because after a while I simply can't be bothered with it anymore.

Enchant mat prices are generally so low on my server that crafting and DEing anything but Carnelian fist weapons is a guaranteed loss of money, while I understand that many people make lots of gold on the simple Obsidian shuffle.

BTW Makaseru, do you make 500 gold profit on one Truegold, or do you sell it for 500 gold? Don't forget, your mats are not free, even if you farm them. And generally there usually is more money in Transmuting Life into Air then in doing Truegold.

the more gold you have, the easier it is to get more. I had around 10k in january, hit 1 million a week and a half ago. but it takes time, I've spent an average 2-3hours a day doing nothing but ah business, it's boring as shit. if you're gonna try "playing the ah" you need to read a bit about it and spend some time just watching the market (pref both factions if you have access to a second account or a friend to help you move stuff).

It really depends on how much gold you want to make, and how much time you are willing to put in to it. Ive seen people say "Oh, i make thousands of gold a day, i just make 3-400 glyphs, sell then, relist them", etc etc. That takes a lot of time and effort. Sod that.

I've just bought my alt a Tundra mammoth, as well as my main, and im still >100k, and ive never once actually set out to "farm" gold. It comes as a by-product of another goal, i.e. getting Steamwheedle Cartel rep to exalted, or farming the Barons mount. If you do it this way, you don't burn yourself out getting gold.

I now just do dailies, as its a good way to relax for me, do my daily randoms, then once a week make an epic LW chest, and sell it for 5-6k gold. Thats roughly 7.5k a week, by only putting 1 item on the AH.

Just remember that AH prices vary wildly. Just last week the Assassin's Chestguard was on there for 4k. So, rather than undercutting it, i didnt put mine on for a couple of days. Then, when it was empty, i put mine on for 7k, and it sold in a few hours.

Deleted
    Herbalism.
    2k p/day is good enough for me :P

10+ Year Old Account
    You have three 85s and you're not rolling in money? Not sure how that's possible. Leveling gives you 6-7k alone.

Oh, and l2search.

There is a realm of existence so far beyond your own you cannot even imagine it.
    I am beyond your comprehension. I am Sovereign!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Leobald View Post
    BTW Makaseru, do you make 500 gold profit on one Truegold, or do you sell it for 500 gold? Don't forget, your mats are not free, even if you farm them. And generally there usually is more money in Transmuting Life into Air then in doing Truegold.
    That's a good point! It's not actually 500g straight up profit no.

That's what I sell them at.

It still works out better for me in the end up to sell Truegold though I believe. The cost of volatiles isn't very good at all. Fires = 9g each. Air = 12g each. Water = 7g each. Life = 5g each.

So I get about 275g profit from Truegold from farmed mats I already had. Compared to a 105g profit from selling 15 Airs transuted from Lifes.

Plus, it's much easier to sell 1 Truegold bar rather than 15 separate Airs which get undercut