Deleted

Z Engine Keyboard Error - Again Help Needed

So about a month ago after my CPU automatically updated some Windows stuff, suddenly my Z Engine Mercury Stealth keyboard came up with an Appcrash. I was guided through this issue by the MMO community.

Thing is that it's stuffing up again but this time it just stopped working. Right after installing Windows updates, it stopped working. I then went back to the former guide I was given to reinstall, but it didn't work.

Basically I get this red icon (instead of green) saying Mod: None.

I've tried restarting my CPU, reinstalled Z Engine and run as admin but nothing seems to work. Atm I'm using an old keyboard so any advice or experience with Z Engine would be really appreciated

---------- Post added 2011-04-14 at 04:12 AM ----------

Update:

I tried to restore the CPU to 6 days ago, when the keyboard was working fine - Partly helped. Meaning that now I can at least type on the damn thing but I still get the red icon with "Mod: None" text on it.

I've been browsing a numbers of pages about others having the same issue, dating back to 2008. Thing is that the forums I've checked never had any solutions other than the ones I've already attempted. I opened a ticket to Steelseries Support but am still hoping that someone from MMO would actually have experience with this or at least have some good suggestions:/

Deleted
    Your point?

Most likely he was trolling. But... he does have a small point. Calling the whole computer the CPU will lead to confusion at some point. Only one part in that box is the CPU. In any case, I don't really see people use the ZBoards that often, I know I never would. So getting in touch with the manufacturer, as you supposedly have done, is your best course.
    EVGA Classified SR-2 | Intel Xeon X5680 x 2 | Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 6 x 2GB | XFX HD5970 x 2
    Intel PRO/1000 PT Server NIC | ASUS Xonar DX | Corsair AX1200 | Corsair TX750
    OCZ Vertex2 60GB | WD Velociraptor 300GB x 2 | Samsung Spinpoint MP4 500GB
    EK-FB SR2 - Acetal+Nickel | EK-Supreme HF - Acetal x 2 | EK-FC5970 Acetal x 2
    Thermochill TA120.4 x 3 | Thermochill TA120.3 | Swiftech MCP655 x 2

Deleted
    Ah okay,

Well it's easy enough to make fun of someone who doesn't know much about computers in general you know, either way I'll refer to computer from now, unless there's some other word I should be using in stead.....

I managed to get the keyboard working again by restoring to 6 days ago, reinstalling it and there you go. Thing is that I still need to update Windows at some point, so this is a short term solution.

If I may ask, why wouldn't you use Z Engine?

I use it, cause being a girl, I have smaller hands/fingers and therefore a shorter range. Meaning that this particular keyboard is as sent from heaven when gaming. Cause I can actually reach 1-11 buttons, where on a normal keyboard, I could reach 1-5.

I have one of those keyboard but that never happened.
    Try to install the software from steelseries. They bought that company and now produce that keyboard.
    http://steelseries.com/support/downloads

Try the software for SteelSeries Merc

When you say : "I still get the red icon with "Mod: None" text on it. " what happens if u try to pick a mod?

Because the layout of those extra keys annoys the crap out of me. The first ZBoards also were customizable things, which just seemed flimsy, and added a second layer which was really uneeded. If I wanted a specific one hand keyboard thing, I'd either use Logitech's G13 or this: http://www.ergodex.com/mainpage.htm
    EVGA Classified SR-2 | Intel Xeon X5680 x 2 | Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 6 x 2GB | XFX HD5970 x 2

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by psyched View Post
    I have one of those keyboard but that never happened.
    Try to install the software from steelseries. They bought that company and now produce that keyboard.
    http://steelseries.com/support/downloads

Try the software for SteelSeries Merc

When you say : "I still get the red icon with "Mod: None" text on it. " what happens if u try to pick a mod?
    I already tried to update the drivers from Steelseries, didn't work. When I try to pick a mod, the list over mods available is empty.

---------- Post added 2011-04-14 at 05:48 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by ispano View Post
    Because the layout of those extra keys annoys the crap out of me. The first ZBoards also were customizable things, which just seemed flimsy, and added a second layer which was really uneeded. If I wanted a specific one hand keyboard thing, I'd either use Logitech's G13 or this: http://www.ergodex.com/mainpage.htm
    I did actually consider G13 but from what I could read about it, I'd have to have 2 keyboards then. 1 for typing normally and the G13 for gaming?

That's pretty much what you have now, right? It's just built into one device instead of being separate. Note i'm not trying to get you to buy one, just was saying what I'd do if I felt the need.

Deleted
    True that, but first off I would need a new standard keyboard. Ofc that wouldn't be too expensive, since it would just be for normal use. Then I'd have to buy the G13 and have yet another wire connected:/ Plus I'd have to always bring 2 keyboards, when ever I'm going to stay at my parents to take care of the house and such. I know it's not that big of a deal, I'd just prefer having 1 keyboard.

That said, it was a very close call between my Z Engine and the G13 tbh. G13 just look so damn nice.

Anyways, I finally got a hold to my brother. I looked into the problems and told me, it's because of Microsoft is using some outdated drivers and on top of that it got complicated when the keyboard went from Steelseries to Z Engine or something like that. Either way he can fix it for me, though it will require some work:/

Mods: Feel free to close this thread

I can't even think about taking my computer elsewhere unless It was a permanent move. Thing is just too big.

Deleted
    Hehe, I've got nice parents and in general good family bond. Even though I'm grown up, I like to spend time with them and my brother. So they drive to where I live (45 mins) so I can get my computer (still need to raid lol) and my laundry

Nothing better than to be "mom and dads girl" for a few days^^

when I say too big, I mean too big. This thing would take two people to move. Not to mention you don't want to move it when it's got all that water in it, so you'd have to drain it, then refill it again. ie not worth it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Are you plugging in your smartphone into your system? My Palm Pixi Pre did not play well with the Steelseries software as it disabled the Z-Engine when it loaded its own drivers. Once I removed the smartphone and rebooted, the Z-Engine was disabled but I could use the keyboard to reinstall the software.