Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    at this point someone needs to spell it out in plain english ..........again

i thought the issue had been narrowed down to bad power supply, why are people still giving suggestions
    Failing to skip to page 4, just reading problem.....

Quote Originally Posted by Aftersight View Post
    Yeah, I figured, I'm thinking I can buy a cheap 500 watt power supply until I get my 750 back to test my other components and return it when I get my 750 back.
    Know someone you could borrow one from? I have a cheapie 500 Watt i'm not using, but that's useless unless you lived in Colorado Springs.

---------- Post added 2011-04-14 at 09:43 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Lemmiwink View Post
    Failing to skip to page 4, just reading problem.....
    Part of it is that the switches have no polarity, as long as they are on the right pins, it doesn't matter which way they go on. And the LEDs do only work one way, but won't prevent a power on if plugged in backwards, they'll just not light up at all.
    EVGA Classified SR-2 | Intel Xeon X5680 x 2 | Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 6 x 2GB | XFX HD5970 x 2
    Intel PRO/1000 PT Server NIC | ASUS Xonar DX | Corsair AX1200 | Corsair TX750
    OCZ Vertex2 60GB | WD Velociraptor 300GB x 2 | Samsung Spinpoint MP4 500GB
    EK-FB SR2 - Acetal+Nickel | EK-Supreme HF - Acetal x 2 | EK-FC5970 Acetal x 2
    Thermochill TA120.4 x 3 | Thermochill TA120.3 | Swiftech MCP655 x 2

I once forgot to connect the power switch with the mainboard panel. Seriously, I sat there for at least 2 hours not knowing what was wrong :>

Part of it is that the switches have no polarity, as long as they are on the right pins, it doesn't matter which way they go on. And the LEDs do only work one way, but won't prevent a power on if plugged in backwards, they'll just not light up at all.
    Yes, that is of course correct. when I built my system though, which was quite similar to his, only with a rampage extreme card and 6990 card, I failed at connecting the 4-pin cpu power cable instead of the 8-pin one. And my computer didn't do anything when I pushed the power-button. After drooling around in the case for about 10 minutes I noticed my slip up and changed it, then I powered it up...

---------- Post added 2011-04-14 at 09:51 PM ----------

Also noted that rampage extreme cards has some issues with corsair SSD's that day... Would not boot the disk at all. I have to boot with my secondary disk to get my pc up and running although most my stuff is on the SSD. That's what happens when u order parts and don't do proper research I guess

Hmm are you sure it's an issue with the particular board? Perhaps maybe the Chipset? I only ask as i've been working on a problem i've had with my gaming laptop. It uses a modified X58 board and a desktop CPU. The second drive is a corsair 256GB SSD, and every so often it wont show up at boot and the data on it corrupts randomly too. I "think" it's the drive itself, but I haven't gotten around to using my spare drive to test the theory.
    EVGA Classified SR-2 | Intel Xeon X5680 x 2 | Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 6 x 2GB | XFX HD5970 x 2

no, I talked to alot of other tech-guys and they all says it comes down to the x58. What I have figured out on my own though, is that if you go to advanced power control in windows 7 you can go and select it (the hard disk) to never go into sleep mode, this will fix the problem of not showing up/corrupting/screen freezes and bsod's related to the corsair disks. The booting issue is something I have tried to pester ASUS to fix regularely, but al they say is that they are working on it :/

X58 is the chipset, so you would say yes, not no
    I'll check the laptop settings, thought I had turned that off. I can deal with it not showing up, a reboot or two and it's there again, but the corruption is annoying.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm really surprised your motherboard didn't come with a speaker... you sure? It might be buried amongst one of the many teeny tiny little bags.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Most motherboards these days have a small buzzer built in. Some will also link it to the integrated sound card.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ispano View Post
    It's been mentioned, but it's one of the newer Corsairs which do not use the switch. It's done internally and automatically.

---------- Post added 2011-04-14 at 08:05 PM ----------

Ok, here we go.

After telling the OP to do the paperclip trick to verify if the PSU will turn on all by itself, and then asking him to verify he did it right, he responded like this. This coincides me saying he has "mostly" figured out the PSU is dead.

"yeah i think so since all the cables were black i put them in the row closest to me 4th one from the right is "green" and the one directly next to it on both sides were "black", latch facing me. like i said i'll try it with different cords/outlets/power supplys to confirm things, i'd rather not wait a whole week for this thing to be RMA'd"

And you and the other person I corrected both said the Reset/Power Switches, ie Simple Momentary SPST switches that as long as the two connectors are on the proper two pins, it doesn't matter which of the two connectors are on either of the two pins. Polarity has no bearing on whether those switches will work or not. Shall I quote what both of you said? Or will you go ahead and re-read it to know that you BOTH are referring to Power/Reset Switches?

Many people take offense when they're told they're wrong. The smart ones will either admit their own fault, or come back with proof and or evidence they are not. If i'm the one pointing out the fault, and I get told back that "I" am the one wrong, and they can clearly say why with proof then I'll admit I was wrong. Even without proof, if you explained it the best you could, I would Research it AGAIN, just to be sure. But when you come out and call me "self righteous" and that I believe myself superior, without even properly refuting what I said, why would I pay any heed? Everyone has the capability to learn these things, everyone is intelligent, but it seems time and time again, people take offense rather than admit fault.

This last part is something I don't usually do, but dude, GROW UP.
    Word for word "What they dont straight-up tell you is the label text/Solid sides on both the Pin Block and your Pin plugs o your on/reset switch, etc. have to be facing outwards, or rather, the same direction, top and bottom. So did you connect your pin plugs to the pin block with the solid/labeled side Out on both sides of the Pin Block? If not, the connections are reversed and this would prevent your motherboard from even indicating it has power, much less boot, so take a look at your Pin Block."

I'm sorry, anywhere in there i state i'm talking specifically about the Power and Reset switch pins? I believe it's indicating ALL pins relative to the Pin Block. Power/Reset are not the only ones ever connected to the Pin Block. I wouldnt be posting this if i've never had a problem with it in the early days, fact is i've had a Power-On problem that was solved by correctly connecting every pin. Which one was the problem? Dont know, never looked into it. Do i know it wasnt the Power On switch? Basic knowledge of electronics says yes. It may be near fool-proof these days, however it didnt used to be without reading the mysteriously forsaken instruction manual, which many people in general just dont do.

I may need to grow up, which is a matter of opinion, but you need to learn how to read - Fact.
    Last edited by Timethief; 2011-04-15 at 06:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Timethief View Post
    I'm referring to the Pin connector that boards usually come with now for hooking up your On/Reset switch, etc. Installing this little piece of plastic is in itself fool-proof, you really cant screw it up because it's designed to not let you. The power pins are all labeled so you'd think hooking it up is simple, right? Not exactly... What they dont straight-up tell you is the label text/Solid sides on both the Pin Block and your Pin plugs o your on/reset switch, etc. have to be facing outwards, or rather, the same direction, top and bottom. So did you connect your pin plugs to the pin block with the solid/labeled side Out on both sides of the Pin Block? If not, the connections are reversed and this would prevent your motherboard from even indicating it has power, much less boot, so take a look at your Pin Block.
    I know exactly what you're talking about. However, not all motherboards come with those blocks, and not everyone will immediately know what they are. Most boards in fact, do not come with them. It seems more of an MSI/ASUS thing, and even then, not all of their boards come with the connectors either. So for most people, unless they have or know about the M-Connector, will assume you're talking about the front panel connectors going directly to the board. Ignoring all of that even, those "blocks" are keyed, and most of the time color coded to match the headers on the board.

So for most people, ie people whose motherboards did not come with said M-Connectors, could easily be led to believe the power switch has a polarity.

So could I possibly be in the wrong? Sure! But I know what I read, I know what you intended, but I also chose to look at it from the point of view of others. Maybe you did that too, maybe you didn't, not judging that.

And with that, my point has been made. I wouldn't have even taken it this far if you hadn't decided on trying to be somewhat offensive in your first replies.

But either way, damage is done, good day.
    Last edited by ispano; 2011-04-15 at 06:47 AM.

I just experienced the same problem.
    Using the tip or using a paper clip on the Green wire and one of the Black wires in the master molex plug to the MOB I found the fan came one indicating the PS was OK.
    I had already UN-plugged all the cables to the MOB. before doing this test.
    With the Main Power Connector connected to the MOB, I started plugging in one connector at a time until the Fans quit.
    The culprit was a Small 4 pin Black Molex Plug on the Fan Power Line form the PS. There were 3 4 Ping Large Connectors on the line that connected to the case Fan and I figured this must be a switching connector and plugged it into a 4 Pin connector on the MOB next to the Large Power Connector marked "SYSTEM FAN" .
    THIS WAS NOT THE PLACE TO CONNECT IT. Disconnected it and and computer came to life and all is good in my world now.
    VANMAN

10+ Year Old Account
    This thread is nearly half a decade old. Closing it.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab