Help with 10m Heroic Chimaeron - Phase 2

Hi,

Our guild could use some help with Phase 2 (Burn phase) for 10M heroic Chimaeron.

Here is our Set-up:

Tanks:
    Warrior
    Blood DK

Heals:
    Resto Shaman
    Resto Druid
    Disc Priest

DPS (we average 17kish DPS)
    Enhance Shaman
    Shadow Priest
    Hunter
    Warlock (destro)
    Warlock (Demo)

On average we are able to get to phase 2 (the burn phase) pretty constantly now and are able to heal the entire raid up to 80% or so before the healing debuff kicks in. However, we run into trouble because it seems that our tanks die relatively quickly into that phase and then Chimi runs around and owns our raid (sadface, we got the boss down to 3K health once). When looking at videos, it appears that the tanks are living for ~30+ seconds into that phase. Ours seems to die in like 10 seconds or so.

Is there anything that we are doing wrong?

Note: We generally push post the 3rd Massacre so one of our tanks is down a CD (normally our warrior tank) because he used it during the feud in order to survive.

Any help would be really appreciated since we are wiping at phase two way too many times and this fight makes me cry.

EDIT: I would post links to armory + WOL but this is a relatively new account so it wouldn't let me

Deleted
    I have to say we haven't personally tested this yet, but you could buy your tank(s) some second by using a defensive hunter pet and letting it intervene tanks on a hit (with cd's on). Not sure if this is enough, but it will buy you some time - you can use it every 30 seconds.

Also make sure your warlocks soul shatter before the phase if they do the most dps, the spriest might be able to tank for a bit with dispersion, and the hunter can taunt, minikite + deterrence, feign, and maybe do that again with readiness.

Does everyone spread out? One trick is to call out who is going to be the next person to "tank" the boss and have them run to the opposite side of the room. Also, CDs from everyone is a must. AoD & ghoul from the DK, dispersion, shields, whatever you got use it along with all offensive CDs.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Make sure your tanks are equiping avoidance trinkets, stam trinkets are kinda useless in this fight.
    Same with food and flasks.
    Then if 1 tank is tanking chim, make sure the other runs to the opposite corner.
    You can lifegrip him too if Chim is incoming.
    Just think of little things that can give you extra seconds

Deleted
    Stand still do maximum dps (healers to!), have your disc priest shield spam, make sure to call out the next target so that person can use ability to stay alive (dispersion, deterrence). Ideally you want his kill order to be tanks->healers->dps

Have your resto druid taunt the boss at some point before phase 2. 40% or so is a good time (roughly). We usually have ours do it right after a Double Attack goes off. She goes bear -> taunts it off me (the double attack tank) then the break tank taunts it back off her. Helps a lot to have Chim go after a healer above a DPS.

Also be sure to have your DPS popping those um, potion things that give huge amounts to their stat for a short time. 1200 Agi / Int / Str for X amount of seconds. Pop them right at phase 2.

Do what Teunt said and have your tanks create as much distance as possible between themselves so Chim has a lot of travel time.

You have a Hunter, so have him/her turn their pets Growl on about a minute into the fight (maybe a bit earlier, but careful about doing it too early). Come phase 2 (provided the pet never died and lost all of its threat) it should be able to eat at least one hit, usually two.

Also tanks live for awhile in p2 if things go well. As in, if they get lucky with dodges / parries. If they get a guardian spirit cast on them. If they are a Paladin and have Ardent Defender up. Shield Wall helps a fair bit (usually allowing a 2nd hit). So some of these other factors may be influencing what you're seeing in videos.

Doing this should buy you more then enough time to burn the boss. Hope it helps, and good luck!

Don't spread out in 10man, unless you're healer/tank (tank careful not to turn back), otherwise you lose just as much DPS as you gain(?? - the boss has incredible huge swingtime, and can close the distance between the two corners easily between two melee - so you can spread out all you want, the boss "won't lose much DPS uptime").
    Divine Guardian on first tank, that will give you some time. Also use all avoidance CDs/trinks. If a tank goes down and you have a BR, don't BR him - instead wait for the first DPS to die and BR him instead (it should be glyphed so they come up with full health).
    SP should fade, locks should Soul Shatter, hunter should Feign Death before they die - shaman will probably die, so he shall be BR'd.

In the end, the first kill usually boils down to RNG on tanks, how long can they dodge the melee swings.

BoP tanks / healers taunt before the phase so there 2nd on threat... use CD's and avoidance trinkets... not much more you can do .

as ppl have stated: Avoidance trinkets is king. Other than that I'd ask your priest to go holy (better healing for that fight imo, esp with lightwell) so that he can use guardian angel on tank aswell.

Your hunter oughta be quite high on threat so he will pop dett on aggro.

avoidance trinkets on tanks, a guardian angel and a hunter with dett will give u ages to kill him.

btw, don't listen to ppl saying not to spread out, you have classes certainly able to run to one corner each during refreshing of dots and such and it WILL buy you a small ammount of time. I've personally kited him with darkflight+rocketboots for 11-12s (a gamble though).

i tank almost the whole p2 on my druid tank now a days.

when p2 starts depending on aggro 1 of the tanks moves to the other side (we have the dps , dont argue)
    and in my case i pop all cd's get a shield and pop frenzied regen at atleast 80rage and go beserk mauling to keep the rage up.
    its kind of cheating or smart use of mechanics, because the absorb shields from priests work in p2 , my frenzie heals , and i get mastery shields

bubbeling works , but make sure you tanks are apart and that they have a cancel macro

we had serveral noone died kills this way.

Make sure your hunter is high on threat going into the phase so that after the first tank drops, then he can deterrence and give the 2nd/3rd tank an extra 5 seconds to position before it goes to him.

Quote Originally Posted by 0smo View Post
    i tank almost the whole p2 on my druid tank now a days.

when p2 starts depending on aggro 1 of the tanks moves to the other side (we have the dps , dont argue)
    and in my case i pop all cd's get a shield and pop frenzied regen at atleast 80rage and go beserk mauling to keep the rage up.
    its kind of cheating or smart use of mechanics, because the absorb shields from priests work in p2 , my frenzie heals , and i get mastery shields

bubbeling works , but make sure you tanks are apart and that they have a cancel macro

we had serveral noone died kills this way.
    This is honestly the best suggestion so far. The answer to the OP's question is basically to have an avoidance centered tank blow EVERYTHING and just stand still for as long as possible. Make sure your raid works to keep the tank going, dps cooldowns are good but tanking ones are much more effective.
    Quote Originally Posted by lol View Post
    I've had lucid dreams a couple times.

I usually imagine some girl I have a crush on and DEMOLISH her, then go back to the computer and start farming whiptail.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheezee View Post
    Does everyone spread out? One trick is to call out who is going to be the next person to "tank" the boss and have them run to the opposite side of the room. Also, CDs from everyone is a must. AoD & ghoul from the DK, dispersion, shields, whatever you got use it along with all offensive CDs.
    Our guild tried this but it wasn't successful. Once he hits enrage he just one shots and our melee lose precious DPS. We one spot it after massacre because he won't massacre again at 24% and below. Meaning we just stay where we are, stacked on the tanks. It's all about timing; make sure everyone is topped up before you push him, and need to use heroism just before 20%. After that it's a DPS race and your DPS should be using pots and all damage boosting and survival CDs. Your tanks are going to die no matter what, and for us it helps if our RL calls out who's next on the threat meters, because they can then pop any threat-reducing cds they have to give them more time to DPS. We usually end up with 1/4 of the raid dead by the time he goes down. But like I said we use the one-spot method rather than kiting, because that just wasn't successful for us. Healers also need to forgo healing and just DPS the shit out of the boss as well. It's not reliable to keep healing once the debuff goes up.
    Secure accounts ftw!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Clempson View Post
    "KING VARIAN, DEATHWING HAS DESTROYED HALF OF STORMWIND, WHAT DO WE DO!?"

"Build a statue of your king."

We downed him for the first time last night after a couple of weeks of wiping.

Around 23% we'd get the healing done with DPS stopping and healers moving up the threat board.

Our druid tank would be owning the avoidance and I'd generally tricks (and the hunter misdirects) to one of the healers to Chim can attack them first. Healers are essentially useless in p2, so perfect for them to die first.

After that I'd hit hard and get myself very high on the threat, so once the last tank dies, he moves to me. I'm a rogue, I can dodge tank for 15 seconds with evasion, which is what I did. Just as evasion is to run out, vanish, and let him kite towards a ranged where we then killed him.

Thanks you all for the great responses.

Regarding avoidance trinkets, which trinkets do your tanks/you use in this fight?

The boss has a 4 second swing timer, and because of it spreading out is completely useless, don't waste the DPS time.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    If you have 1 range on the left side of the room and 1 range on the other side of the room the boss takes more then four seconds to walk trough the room. It's not useless

Quote Originally Posted by Téuntjûh View Post
    If you have 1 range on the left side of the room and 1 range on the other side of the room the boss takes more then four seconds to walk trough the room. It's not useless
    And as soon as he one shots all the ranged he's going to go after the melee, who have been chasing the boss the whole time and losing DPS because of it. There's a reason guilds who've downed this boss don't kite it. It doesn't work.
    Secure accounts ftw!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Clempson View Post
    "KING VARIAN, DEATHWING HAS DESTROYED HALF OF STORMWIND, WHAT DO WE DO!?"

"Build a statue of your king."

Thanks for all the help, we were able to finally down the boss

Make sure the enhance shaman is dropping grounding totem on CD in phase 2, that will absorb some of the shadow bolts.