Deleted

It's not overheating at all, yet could be colder...

Indeed, it's what happens on my laptop. I've bought it like 2 months ago, and a few of the games I play are:

- World of Warcraft
    - Crysis 2
    - Dragon Age 2
    - Starcraft 2

My laptop's speccs:

CPU: Intel Core i5 460 M / Dual-Core 2.53gHz by default, 2.83 with the Turbo booster (auto enabled on high consumption programs i.e games).
    Graphics card: ATI 5650 1 GB / GDDR 3 / Directx 11
    RAM: 4 GB DDR 3

Now the thing is, I run WoW in all Ultra except shadows, with 60 fps stable, except big cities which reduces them to around 25-35. I play Crysis on the medium settings (which already push quite a lot), I play Dragon Age 2 in High, and Starcraft 2 in Medium-High settings. Now i'll post the temperatures with which I usually play each game:

WoW - 80-83º C CPU / 68-70º C Graphics Card
    Crysis 2 - 85º C CPU / 73-74 º C Graphics Card
    Dragon Age 2 - 83-85º C CPU / 72-73º C Graphics Card
    Starcraft 2 - 79-82º C CPU/ 70º C Graphics Card

I've seen some guy with a similar laptop that was running some of these games with around 70º C (CPU) without any sort of cooling system, just as me. Yet, I keep seeing the CPU reaching these temperatures (beyond 80ºC)

I know these games are very demanding, but I don't think I should be reaching these temperatures with this computer. Is it the cooling system (i.e fans from the laptop) that may suck quite a bit? I'm planning to buy a cooler, some kind of table with 2 fans to insert under the laptop, might do the difference. I know this is not overheating because Intel CPU's can manage to go to around 105º C, which of course is a potencial damage dealer to the CPU, but 85ºC is still quite far from 100ºC. Also, 70ºC for the Graphics Card ain't too much at all. But i'm kinda disturbed about this difference between my PC and his, the problem might derive from a retarded cooling system inside my own laptop maybe...

What do you guys think?

Laptops will always reach really high temperatures while playing games. That is one of the many reasons why people should avoid long gaming sessions on laptops and not get one for gaming in the first place. Getting a laptop cooling pad with a fan as an preventive measure would be very much recommended.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Deleted
    Yap I know Desktops are the real deal for Gamers, but I needed a laptop for programming and stuff, so I had to choose a decent one that could allow me to play games just as keep programming outside my house etc etc. My old desktop at home is some old cracket, it doesn't even run WoW anymore so all I got is this one.

So do you think a tablet under the PC, with 2 fans would do the difference? And what's your opinion about the difference between my laptop and his? Is it logical to think the cooling system of this laptop might be a bit weird / retarded?

Thanks for your fast reply btw.

I went to dick smith/tandy and bought a laptop panel to go underneath with a singular fan, it really made the difference.
    doesnt work when its on my legs though.. well it does.. but not quite well enough.

Leave it on the table when gaming.

Deleted
    It's good to hear that enthus, do you got any accurate numbers to give me? For example it went down from XºC while you didn't have the table to YºC when you bought it? Would be awesome.

Good laptop cooling pad will drop 10-15C off from CPU temp so it really does make a difference, bad pad will drop maybe 3-5C and make more noise from the matchbox sized fan than push cold air.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Deleted
    Guess I'll just get one for this summer then. The current temperatures ain't that bad considering I don't spend too many hours in a row playing. I spend at max like 4 maybe during the night, but it freaks me out seeing 85º C :<

10+ Year Old Account
    Wow, 85 is pretty damn high for a CPU. But do not play on your bed at night if you do. Play on a table at all times.

10+ Year Old Account
    this isn't a asus g series laptop is it?

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    My laptop had a similar situation but i was awar of heat problems before i bought it, so i grabbed a cooling pad to go with it.

NP8760
    Display- 17.3" Full HD LED Display with Super Glossy Surface (1920 x 1080)
    Video & Graphics Card- Nvidia GeForce GTX 285M Graphics with 1GB GDDR3 Video Memory
    CPU Processor- Intel® Core™ i5-540M Processor ( 32nm, 3MB L3 Cache, 2.53GHz)
    Thermal Compound- IC Diamond 7 Thermal Compound - CPU + GPU
    Operating System- Genuine MS Windows® 7 Professional 64-Bit Edition
    Memory- 4GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1066MHz - 2 X 2GB
    Primary Hard Disk Drive- 500GB 7200rpm SATA 300 Hard Drive
    Optical Drive- 4X Blu-ray Reader/8X DVD±R/2.4X +DL Super-Multi Drive & Software
    Wireless Network Card- Internal 802.11 B+G+N Wireless LAN Module
    Bluetooth- Internal Bluetooth V2.1 Module
    Primary Battery- Smart Li-Polymer Battery Pack
    Integrated Security Device- Fingerprint Reader

A month after getting it, i upgraded the RAM to 2x4gig 1333(10600) for 8gig total. So it's a very nice mid-level gaming platform, plays everything on Ultra flawlessly. It's also not slim design, so there is actually space inside. I took the opportunity to mount some of these - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-012-_-Product - that i had laying around from another project on the CPU and VGA heatsinks which are basically thin pieces of copper with heatpipes leading to the exhaust fans. One of the ventilation screens in the underside that, curiously had no fan attached to, had reverse-bore screws holding it in place. I picked up a 40x40x10mm fan, spliced and soldered the bare wires to an unused fan plug on the board and mounted it as an intake using the vent screen's screws. I've gotta say, those little copper heatsinks do come in handy.

The best part about buying gaming laptops is, from what i've seen, they are usually spacious inside, leaving an ambitious DIY person a chance to make some crafty heat solutions.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    this isn't a asus g series laptop is it?
    It's a Toshiba.

*Update* I've bought the cooling table, it has 3 fans and I use it under the laptop. The CPU came down from 85ºC to 75-79ºC ( MOSTLY 75-76ºC ) and the Graphics Card doesn't even reach 65º C. It's a good improvement though I think the difference on the CPU could be better with 3 fans under the laptop but oh well, I guess it's simply the way the hardware is disposed in my laptop that just sucks and I have to be careful with it, as long as it doesn't reach 80ºC it's ok but it's never good to play consistant hours with it at 75ºC even though it's an Intel and 75-80ºC for an Intel shouldn't mean danger.
    Last edited by mmoc25e376576d; 2011-05-12 at 03:59 PM.

You could try re-pasting the processor. I know mine had a horrible job done on it. I reseated it with some higher end paste and then my temps flew down. On a Lenovo laptop btw, 2.26 C2D, Nvidia 240m, 4g of ram. It used to overheat so badly that in games it would just kick my fan into high mode and my games would drop to around 3 fps for a good 10 seconds while the fan caught up.

Have you tried taking some canned air to your laptop and blowing out any dust built up in the vents/intakes?