Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Y'know what happens when the game developer says "This game will be this, that AND a bag of chips"?

Usually the game ends up being a half-cooked crap sandwich.

According to the article, ArenaNet's ambitions are boundless and are exploring uncharted territories that few if any tried out. Bugs, imbalances and general FUBAR will be epic.

Yes, I am a pessimist.
    "The Patient? Well... maybe... the mental kind..."

Quote Originally Posted by Olgierd View Post
    Y'know what happens when the game developer says "This game will be this, that AND a bag of chips"?

According to the article, ArenaNet's ambitions are boundless and are exploring uncharted territories that few if any tried out. Bugs, imbalances and general FUBAR will be epic.

Yes, I am a pessimist.
    Don't all movie makers/game developers do the same?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Olgierd View Post

Yes, I am a pessimist.
    They have also stated that they don't want to release the game full of bugs as a lot of other mmo's have done, which is why they haven't set a release date yet. The fact that they're being EXTREMELY positive about their own game ("We want to make GW2 the best game ever") can mean 2 things:

1)They are very confident about the quality of their game

2)It will crash and burn

I think it's the first option, Arenanet is a company I have quite some confidence in, I have always liked their "style". (The founders constantly move their desks to where they're needed, evenif this means they sit in a hallway )

I hope the game delivers what it promises, since (and I think lots of people agree on this) the mmo genre really needs a breath of fresh air.

Since it will be Free 2 Play I will obviously play it, more on a very casual basis though, my MMO of choice for the next few years will probably be TOR.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jvbastel View Post
    They have also stated that they don't want to release the game full of bugs as a lot of other mmo's have done, which is why they haven't set a release date yet. The fact that they're being EXTREMELY positive about their own game ("We want to make GW2 the best game ever") can mean 2 things:

1)They are very confident about the quality of their game

2)It will crash and burn

I think it's the first option, Arenanet is a company I have quite some confidence in, I have always liked their "style". (The founders constantly move their desks to where they're needed, evenif this means they sit in a hallway )

I hope the game delivers what it promises, since (and I think lots of people agree on this) the mmo genre really needs a breath of fresh air.
    Plus they used to be part of the dev. team at Blizz (founders of ArenaNet)

Deleted
    I have always liked Guild Wars (hence my name here on MMO Champion).

However, I can't help but feel that GW2 is going to crash and burn.

- There has been too much hype, dragged on for far too long instead of just finishing the damn game. I remember first hearing of GW2 in 2007 for god's sake.

- Combat seems incredibly annoying. I watched a video from one of the gaming conventions of one of GW2's own designers repeatedly getting into the 'downed state' and then dying over and over on regular mobs. He wasn't meant to be demonstrating this, he was attempting to go through a simple event and failing many times during his own game. I also watched Shawn from GuildCast do his test play of the game and he repeatedly died and struggled to kill even one mob on his own. That is the definition of grind, and I had the same problem in Aion - solo play was hard and boring.

- When you die in WoW you go into ghost mode which I love. In GW2 you get taken back to basically the graveyard, but you're alive. So if you're out questing, you have to run back through all those mobs that have respawned as you fought your way through. Tedious.

Just some of the problems im starting to see, I wonder if there will be more.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Adelbern View Post

- There has been too much hype, dragged on for far too long instead of just finishing the damn game. I remember first hearing of GW2 in 2007 for god's sake.

- Combat seems incredibly annoying. I watched a video from one of the gaming conventions of one of GW2's own designers repeatedly getting into the 'downed state' and then dying over and over on regular mobs. He wasn't meant to be demonstrating this, he was attempting to go through a simple event and failing many times during his own game. I also watched Shawn from GuildCast do his test play of the game and he repeatedly died and struggled to kill even one mob on his own. That is the definition of grind, and I had the same problem in Aion - solo play was hard and boring.

- When you die in WoW you go into ghost mode which I love. In GW2 you get taken back to basically the graveyard, but you're alive. So if you're out questing, you have to run back through all those mobs that have respawned as you fought your way through. Tedious.

I'm going to disagree with you on the "crash and burn". Combat looks very interesting compared to the basic stand and click WoW/general MMO style at the moment. You know the dev's aren't really that good at their own game normally at first since it's still been developed.

Where did you hear/see about going back to the nearest graveyeard upon death in GW2?

10+ Year Old Account

On the combat: There's a lot of videos out where the players genuinely suck three-headed monkey butt, also, the video your're referring to (shawn playing) is I think from the lvl 34-ish area, thief gameplay? remember that thief is one of the more complex classes, and he got dumped into a semi-high lvl zone with an class he was completely unfamiliar with.
    The pax east gameplay vids at the alienware stage are much better.

Thanks for the articles! Right now im so excited about the game im just itching for the next bit of news or videos to satisfy my craving for this game. Never played GW1, hadnt even played any mmo before lotro but the game looks spectacular, love the casting animations. Gear customisation looks good. I personally am looking forward to it being based around pvp, iv given up raiding and focusing on pvp alot more in wow since its more casual and id love to get stuck into a morden day pvp mmo!

Is this a completely different game or an expansion? If it's a completely new game, I might be interessted. If it's an expansion you can count me out. Guild Wars could verywell have been one of the worst games I've ever played.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    Is this a completely different game or an expansion? If it's a completely new game, I might be interessted. If it's an expansion you can count me out. Guild Wars could verywell have been one of the worst games I've ever played.
    Completely new game

10+ Year Old Account

Keep in mind that just as blizzard has said and done, damage and health are the easy parts to tune. X mob does X*Y damage, well, that's too much so now it does X*Z damage. It's health is too high so it gets lower health, ect ect... It's a very careful balance between too hard and OP, you don't want every creature to drop on your first swing, but not ever mob needs to be an elite.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's a completely different game, it's an open, persistent world, it's still buy2play, with no subscriptions

There will be microtransactions, but they will not give you an advantage over other players, they'll be purely cosmetic

15+ Year Old Account
    It's a totally new game. Just look at the website, watch some demos on youtube, red up. You'll see how it's nothing alike GW1.

Deleted
    Guild Wars 2 is the Duke Nukem Forever of MMOs. Goodluck waiting for it.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pie Eater View Post
    Thank you for reflecting yourself in that comment, useless.

10+ Year Old Account
    Dream on. People actually want this

Can you Jump? - Yes

SOLD!

10+ Year Old Account
    Incorrect btw, GW2 has never been delayed or cancelled, they just didn't give a release date yet

---------- Post added 2011-04-14 at 10:18 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Nomm View Post
    Can you Jump? - Yes

SOLD!
    made me lol

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Smellyead View Post
    Where did you hear/see about going back to the nearest graveyeard upon death in GW2?
    It was one of the videos where a developer was playing, I think at Pax East, and demonstrating to the crowd. He was doing an event in some village as a female thief, went into downed state, then fully 'died' and the map came up. He clicked the nearest teleport point and he was taken to it. It's the equivalent to WoWs graveyard, except without the graveyard - it's just a teleport point a bit like in Rift.