Thread: Firefox :O

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    That's what I mean... it's like an integrated RAM Disk without actually having to create one the long way. Is that a new FF feature?

If it's storing cache on RAM rather than the hard disk then it is functioning the same as if you set it up manually using a RAM Disk. However, with a RAM Disk (if you want to) you can get it to dump the cache to a hard drive on shut down and then reload it back to the RAM on start up, and that way you get the super fast caching and cache-reading, while also not having to re-download stuff from websites you access regularly every time you restart your browser or computer. The only downside is that it adds time to the computer shut down and start up... oh and also that it consumes some RAM, but anyone with 8GB probably doesn't mind devoting a 1 or 2 GB RAM Disk for that purpose.

No, FF has had the ability for quite some time. You just had to set it with about:config before.
    EVGA Classified SR-2 | Intel Xeon X5680 x 2 | Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 6 x 2GB | XFX HD5970 x 2
    Intel PRO/1000 PT Server NIC | ASUS Xonar DX | Corsair AX1200 | Corsair TX750
    OCZ Vertex2 60GB | WD Velociraptor 300GB x 2 | Samsung Spinpoint MP4 500GB
    EK-FB SR2 - Acetal+Nickel | EK-Supreme HF - Acetal x 2 | EK-FC5970 Acetal x 2
    Thermochill TA120.4 x 3 | Thermochill TA120.3 | Swiftech MCP655 x 2

Quote Originally Posted by ispano View Post
    No, FF has had the ability for quite some time. You just had to set it with about:config before.
    Naw it never had this (gui option), I always adjust it via config, the gui i showed is from fasterfox.

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmon View Post
    That's what I mean... it's like an integrated RAM Disk without actually having to create one the long way. Is that a new FF feature?

If it's storing cache on RAM rather than the hard disk then it is functioning the same as if you set it up manually using a RAM Disk. However, with a RAM Disk (if you want to) you can get it to dump the cache to a hard drive on shut down and then reload it back to the RAM on start up, and that way you get the super fast caching and cache-reading, while also not having to re-download stuff from websites you access regularly every time you restart your browser or computer. The only downside is that it adds time to the computer shut down and start up... oh and also that it consumes some RAM, but anyone with 8GB probably doesn't mind devoting a 1 or 2 GB RAM Disk for that purpose.
    Its not the same. Its just not disk caching for future sessions.
    Last edited by ayako; 2011-04-15 at 02:42 AM.