Character scrutinization

I'm pretty new to this forum to say the least, at least posting. I recently saw someone post up a log and ask for feedback on his raid/dps some characters on armory and what not. He got a lot of good feedback and I ( being a new raid leader/gm) was like this is pretty useful stuff. I can tell people to research their class and research their classes myself to be able to say hey this is part of whats wrong, but its much more valuable to me to get the feedback from those that play the class.

I recently put up several posts asking people to look through some of my main raiders armories and look at our logs. I got a lot of good feedback. A lot of stuff I felt was wrong but couldn't exactly put my finger on it. Even if I knew something was wrong people were so specific that it helped me put down in words exactly what they were doing wrong and back it up. I personally don't like to tell something they are doing something wrong without being able to back it up intelligently and I'm not going to just sit there and flame people and just call them bad, that gets me and them no where.

I had received a few replies though, that disturbed me. I decided to not even reply to them because I don't want to incite flaming or trolling. People said things like this post should be shut down for forum violation of flaming people and even said that it was a low move to put these guys on blast and have them on the spotlight like that. Is it really so horrible to ask for some advice from people that play the class and get a lot of peoples input on their problems? I don't really feel like it is a bad thing, especially when they are willing to take the criticism and use it to their advantage. Also, world of logs is pretty public, as well as armory, so its not like I destroyed anyones rights or anything like that. The info I got on here is not mean at all and definitely doesn't compare to just sitting there telling someone they are bad then Gkicking them. I disagree completely with the people saying that I am doing something wrong here. If the people I put up the info about can't take the criticism then they definitely don't belong in my guild, because I want it to be a lot better than it is, and I'm sure they all understand that.

My suggestion is to put up a subforum that is dedicated to looking at peoples specs/gems/enchants and looking at their combat logs and making suggestions of how to fix it. I know you can just sit there and read the stickies or the guides, especially for some of the characters I posted about, but there are also a lot of things that are small and the guides might have something on it, but the players/leaders are missing it, because you have to look really deep into the logs. If you don't know the class or the correct way to do something, you won't know by looking at the logs that he didn't do this right or that. I know a lot of peoples reaction to this is going to be say they should just research their class blah blah. I agree, but sometimes thats not always going to fix the problem. A little extra help is going to be needed, and if we have a sub forum and people that are willing to do it, I don't think it'll be a bad thing.

Unfortunately schuey, MMO-C has far too many undesirables and not nearly enough moderators to keep them in check. Most threads end up with the following:

- spelling / grammar nazi
    - meme artist (wannabe)
    - L2P leet freak
    - a troll out to provoke a reaction
    - /epeen extender at your expense

Threads that don't snag at least 3 of the above are rare in my experience. Such is the price of having a crowded and busy forum. The best you can do is report such replies (1 min interval still...) or just ignore them as best you can. Getting into a flame war with them, which is often what they want, can land you with a ban all of your own.

As you experienced there are many helpful people here as well, it's just sometimes difficult to separate the wheat from the chaff.

They're calling for Thread locks because a lot of your Threads could be construed as "Naming and Shaming", essentially putting the player in question up on a soapbox that they may not want to be on... Unfortunately, it is hard to ask for advice for a certain player without linking their armory... If a Mod has not yet locked a thread of yours, then I'd say they haven't found any in direct violation of the MMO-C Forum Rules.