Deleted

New System - Will it deliver?

Hello all,
    This will actually be my first post, even though I've been browsing this site for multiple years.
    Well, off to my question.

Today I chose parts for my new rig. Currently I've got a very outdated pc so I thought it's time for a new one.
    I'm mainly interested in how well WoW and Rift will run on this setup, but if you could give me an indication on other games in general I would deeply appreciate that too.
    These are the parts I selected:

MSI R6870 Twin Frozr II (Retail, HDMI, 2x DVI, 2x Mini-DP, CrossFireX)
    Intel® Core™ i7-2600K (Boxed, FC-LGA4, "Sandy Bridge") --> changed to an i5 2500k by advice
    OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W (Retail, 2x PCIe, Cable-Management)
    MSI P67A-C43 (B3) (Retail, RAID, Gb-LAN, Sound, ATX) -*1155 socket
    Kingston HyperX 4 GB DDR3-1333 Kit (Light-Retail, KHX1333C9D3K2/4G, Genesis)

The case isn't that important I think, nor the HD.
    If you need any more information, please tell me and I'll see if I can provide it.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by mmoc80419187e8; 2011-04-15 at 10:47 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...pot-quot-Build
    Match up your parts to your $ range. I advise staying out of the $500-$700 build, as you seem like you want a higher end computer.

If your computer is just for gaming get a i5-2500k and put that extra cash for a 6950 or 6970

10+ Year Old Account
    That computer will own pretty much any game out there, don't worry.
    So that answers the question you were asking.., and I'm not sure if you are interested in comments about your build, but you're getting them anyways!

The case is somewhat important because it determines your air flow for cooling, which is essential if you are overclocking.
    Hard drive is also important because there are many different generations out there and they aren't all the same.
    What you want to look for is SATA2 or SATA3, high capacity, high RPM, and high cache. I like the Western Digital Caviar Black hard drives, because they have a 64MB Cache, but there are other slightly lower cost drives that are nearly as fast with 32MB caches. (Spinpoint F3)

If I were you I'd get a Core i5 2500K instead of i7 2600K. Save $100 for basically no difference in gaming performance.

I'd also spend some of that cash saved on 8GB RAM instead of 4, but some people around here will tell you not too bother. Your money, your preference, your choice. I think it's a smart move personally.

If you are planning on overclocking quite a bit (like mid 4000's) then you would need an aftermarket CPU cooler. However if you are just going to do a mild overclock, you can get to 4200MHz without much effort and stock cooling would probably be good enough.

The GPU is good and you don't need to change it, but there are a few more powerful ones out there that are now very decently priced. The ones that tend to be great performance and also great value these days seem to be:
    Radeon HD 6950
    Radeon HD 6970
    Nvidia GTX 460 (1GB version)
    Nvidia GTX 560 Ti
    Of course which is a better choice boils down to what sale price you can get them at, what kind of cooling does it have, what is the warranty, does it come free games or free shipping or other little things like that, etc

If you're willing to spend even more money, an SSD is a pretty awesome addition, and 80-100GB is probably plenty big enough for most people.
    Last edited by Plasmon; 2011-04-15 at 10:32 PM.

Deleted
    Thanks for the fast replies.
    I'll include the other parts here and in my mainpost then.

Aerocool Vx-e Pro, this is my case. I chose it because it has 3 fans pre-installed with the option to instal 3 more. (And yes, I like the looks of it)
    Samsung HD103SJ (Bulk, SpinPoint F3) that's my HDD, 1 TB

About the processor, I'll take a look and probably chance it to i5 then, since it seems there is no difference

If you are building it yourself, you might as well upgrade the graphics card to a 6950, which you can get for only $210 after MIR:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-523-_-Product
    What you have selected right now is more than enough to play the games you mentioned at the highest possible settings, but in case you want to play future high end/demanding games, 6950 will give you better fps and last slightly longer than a 6870.
    [23:43:22] [P] [85:Bowsjob]: If its between 2 holy pallys its gonna be a gear fight most likely